You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
1Sherman

Is anyone else here surprised that WG decided to bring back the Dockyard?

34 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
6,440 posts
3,250 battles

Essentially, the title. After the unmitigated disaster that was the Puerto Rico, I'm legitimately surprised that WG decided to bring back the Dockyard again. I'm also rather surprised that I haven't seen a deluge of threads of people saying they're going to quit the game forever because of the return of the Dockyard.

Really, that's about it. Just me remarking on the lack of an utter sh*tstorm that I'm seeing because of what might be the single most reviled decision WG has ever made in this game.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 4

[PQUOD]
Members
2,386 posts
5,095 battles
4 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

Essentially, the title. After the unmitigated disaster that was the Puerto Rico, I'm legitimately surprised that WG decided to bring back the Dockyard again. I'm also rather surprised that I haven't seen a deluge of threads of people saying they're going to quit the game forever because of the return of the Dockyard.

Really, that's about it. Just me remarking on the lack of an utter sh*tstorm that I'm seeing because of what might be the single most reviled decision WG has ever made in this game.

Not really. Its an asset they spent time working on. The shipyard itself is great. It was the PR handling that made it awful. Lets not confuse the two.

• Cool 8
  • Thanks 1

[TJRD]
Members
836 posts
5,456 battles

I think it's much better this time to because it's all doable missions (until the final two tiers of course) rather than the weird time thing. I think that's a huge improvment to the whole process.

[WAG]
Beta Testers
782 posts
7,220 battles

this time it was much more clear. the event is reasonable, not impossible like the PR was. you arent on a extreme time limit as when you unlock a "boost" it happens immediately rather then over time. they also came out right away and told us you cant get 2 ships for free, only 1. all in all im actually enjoying the game again this patch, and will probably buy the last 2 to get the ship.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles

There was nothing wrong with the idea. The problem was the implementation and this time they were up front on the requirements which are far more reasonable and that it would take some doubloons to complete.

• Cool 1

Members
3,585 posts
12,985 battles

Not surprised. It's their fancy UI loading bar. The PR debacle was just a huge miscommunication issue. 

[USCG]
Members
576 posts
19,969 battles

I think the idea of the dockyard is wonderful! Having seen ships being built/repaired I find it very interesting. It was the horrible way they released the PR event (almost impossible tasks) that made it a clown show the last go round. 

This time around things seem much more manageable. Still not sure if I’ll dump any doubloons into it but I’m finding it more enjoyable. 

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

No not really.  I knew since this feature was worked hard on, they wouldn't totally scrapped it.  The art team took a long time putting this together.

[P-V-E]
Members
1,508 posts

no I am not surprised, I quite like it.

mind you, I realise for WoWs to still be around and be a free to play modal, there must be a bit of coercion for some to spend a bit of money, rather than the perpetual free lunch some expect for all content with minimal effort on their part.

the PR event was really largely blown out of proportion by some streamers/CC IMO.

• Cool 1

[HELLS]
Members
2,664 posts
27,207 battles
57 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

No. It's just another money grab, as usual. I will take what I can get for free but I am not spending any hard-earned retirement dollars to buy doubloons to get a fake ship at the back end of this. Don't give a shite...

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[90THB]
Members
9 posts
4,117 battles

They put a lot of work into it, so I didn't think they were going to put it on the self to collect dust. At least they were a lot more clear in the details on how it was going to work. Very happy that this time around that the directives are not extremely grindy and you have plenty of time to complete them. The PR grind literally made me stop playing the game for awhile because I got burned out trying to complete the directives on time. 

Members
436 posts

There is only one reason it was brought back....

Edited by Venac

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,014 posts
22,574 battles
59 minutes ago, b101uk said:

the PR event was really largely blown out of proportion by some streamers/CC IMO.

LOL yeah, no.  

1 hour ago, Rollingonit said:

The PR debacle was just a huge miscommunication issue. 

No, it was a mess and when Wargaming apologized for the event, they apologized for miscommunication only. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,926 posts
11,602 battles
1 hour ago, 1Sherman said:

because, unlike last time, the people at WG actually used their brains, for once, to make the Dockyard easier instead of a "either half kill yourself or pay us 100s of dollars" grind

Edited by tcbaker777

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
868 posts
2,737 battles
1 hour ago, 1Sherman said:

I'm legitimately surprised that WG decided to bring back the Dockyard again.

I'm not at all.  It looks very much like the "admirals pass", just another season pass thing from the console version of the game.  Give it a little time and it will come here too of course.  WG is just doing it in baby steps.

We already have premium time, insane premium ship costs, cost to retrain and respec captains etc.  Why not a season pass too?

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,926 posts
11,602 battles
15 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

No, it was a mess and when Wargaming apologized for the event, they apologized for miscommunication only. 

that "apology" was half-assed, at best, they never truly apologized for the insult that was the PR, and im still waiting for that A-hull of a CEO at Lesta to apologize for the complete insult to the playerbase he gave basically "I used my company card to buy the ship, so you guys need to STFU and give us money or [edited] off"

Edited by tcbaker777

Members
3,585 posts
12,985 battles
13 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

That's all it seemed to me. 

CCs thought the test server was final, players believed CCs, WG never corrected CCs. Looks like miscommunication. If you guys still think a T10 was gonna be that easy to acquire, you've had your eyes shut for awhile now. 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,127 posts
4,088 battles

As everyone else said, no we're not. In fact WG flat out said it would be returning.

Remember, everyone loved the dockyard. Said it was an awesome idea, universally looking forward to it.

The Puerto Rico event was a fiasco second only to the Naval Training Center. But that was not an inherent problem with the dockyard. The not actually free ship, deceptive directive design, ludicrous mission requirements, and bad initial communication were what killed it. And then WG poured gas on the fire a couple times while trying to handle the fallout. Pretty much the example for great idea, terrible execution.

But WG clearly learned. Yes they do listen, but unfortunately they've shown it takes a literal riot for them to do it. The fact that if you took out a PR there was a high likely hood of getting TK'd for a while does tend to get their attention. So this time they simplified the system, made it much less ridiculous, and were very clear and up front about it from the get go. And everyone seems to be pretty happy with it. It's a shame they clobbered Odin with the nerf hammer, but it's fairly obvious now that they did it because it was only going to cost 3500 doubloons. I plan to grind out the Graf Spee, and then see where I end up. I'm not paying for Odin now, but that's nothing to do with the dockyard, I'm just not that interested in the ship. I hope WG reuses the dockyard again. I'd guess we'll see it again this Christmas, though I suspect WG will be very very careful with how they do that this time around.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,014 posts
22,574 battles
29 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

That's all it seemed to me. 

CCs thought the test server was final, players believed CCs, WG never corrected CCs. Looks like miscommunication. If you guys still think a T10 was gonna be that easy to acquire, you've had your eyes shut for awhile now. 

Every single one of the CCs I watched (and I watched every video from every major CC at that time) said that it was a work in progress and the requirements would probably change. Most said that it would become harder. Literally no one thought the grind was going to be as easy as it was on the PTS. One only has to look at the forum posts for around that time to see almost everyone warning their fellow players that the requirements would change.  You have to quite literally ignore all the evidence to come to the conclusion you are making. It is absurd and you only have to go back and read the forums or watch the videos yourself to see you are wrong. If that is how it "seemed" to you then you were not paying attention. 

32 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

that "apology" was half-assed, at best, they never truly apologized for the insult that was the PR, and im still waiting for that A-hull of a CEO at Lesta to apologize for the complete insult to the playerbase he gave basically "I used my company card to buy the ship, so you guys need to STFU and give us money or [edited] off"

Yeah and it is why I just stopped playing for the most part. The nasty little comment from that one WeeGee about "having a job" was what pushed me over the edge. The absurd assertion that the event was geared towards the disabled and unemployed (or retired, I forget which now) was just beyond belief. 

The fact that only 600 players worldwide managed to complete the 4th Directive for the PR event, shows what a disaster it was. Course with a couple of thousand PRs in the game at that time, maybe it was an economic success for Wargaming. 

EDIT: Seems I posted about the same time as AJPT.  What he said is correct. 

Edited by Taylor3006

Members
3,585 posts
12,985 battles
8 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Every single one of the CCs I watched (and I watched every video from every major CC at that time) said that it was a work in progress and the requirements would probably change. Most said that it would become harder. Literally no one thought the grind was going to be as easy as it was on the PTS. One only has to look at the forum posts for around that time to see almost everyone warning their fellow players that the requirements would change.  You have to quite literally ignore all the evidence to come to the conclusion you are making. It is absurd and you only have to go back and read the forums or watch the videos yourself to see you are wrong. If that is how it "seemed" to you then you were not paying attention. 

Maybe I am incorrect. I never listened to the CCs on that event, so maybe.

Also what are you doing in randoms lately? You're play history is a bit odd. 

[STURM]
Members
708 posts
5,746 battles

Honestly, the dockyard is just (very nice) dressing on a progress bar. The actual process behind getting the Odin as compared to the PR is much different.

The PR event was, bar none, the scummiest cash grab I have seen from a game that isn't some sort of mobile scam app. It was designed from the get go to pressure players into spending money as soon as possible with the ticking clock aspect. In addition, the fact that the first few directives were pretty easy was made to pressure even people who didn't want the PR into buying it so they "didn't lose thier progress." 

In contrast, the Odin event was clear from the get go, is a "earn bigger and bigger discounts" type event as opposed to the PRs "free or nothing." There is no ticking clock attached besides the one at the end of the event, so no math problems to find out how much money you need to spend. Its just so much better all around.

Now only if WG would get rid of all loot boxes in the premium shop....

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles

The Puerto Rico Dockyard itself wasn't the problem.  It was the event mission requirements.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,901 posts
45,247 battles

I wasn't surprised.  Just look at the NTC.  It returned as the RB.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,014 posts
22,574 battles
24 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Maybe I am incorrect. I never listened to the CCs on that event, so maybe.

So you didn't listen to the CCs about the event and yet your argument is based on what you say the CCs said?  Good lord.  There is no "maybe" about it, you are incorrect.