You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RYANMK48

What Advice Would You Give Newer Players

34 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Members
128 posts
7,240 battles

As many have commented Covid-19 has resulted in a flood of new players many of whom don’t know much about the technical aspects of the ships they get let alone the tactics of the game. It took me well over 1000 games to figure out many of the basics (yes I’m pretty slow) and I wish someone had given me a lot of advice on how to “get gud”. I learned a lot on this forum but I’m asking the more experienced players for one or two thoughts that would help newer players. Here are my two:

- Spend some time on the WOWS wiki learning about your ship. I constantly see newer players firing 6km range torpedoes at targets 10+ km away, or using 5km hydro near their spawn point or the worst is an Asashio or Pan Asian DD trying to torp another DD. 

- Spend some time on the wows-numbers or wowstats websites looking at your personal ratings. I’m not recommending anyone get obsessed about their stats, but it was an eye opener to me when I first saw my own stats and realized how unready I was for higher tiers. So I went back to tiers 4, 5 and 6 to get better and now I feel much more comfortable at tiers 7+.  Too many new players watch a YouTube video and think if they have a Georgia or a Des Moines they will really kick butt. Unfortunately, for them this game is much more about player skill than the ship. A good player in a tier 5 Konigsberg can often burn down a bad player in a tier 7 Colorado, even though the Colorado is way way more powerful. 

I know its unlikely many new players will read this but I’m also hoping the more experienced players will try to chat with the newer ones and help them out (constructively). Any thoughts from other players or is this a waste of time? 

• Haha 1

[GOOF]
Members
669 posts
5,889 battles

Wow what would I say in retrospect.

I'll admit I started this game on the wrong foot and without help I wouldn't have learned.

Ok please play your ship until you feel confident it. I know we all want to play t10 but it's no good to you to rush up there to get autoblapped.

Research your ship play your ship get comfortable in your ship before you move up the ladder.

Edited by grorg

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,135 posts
18,987 battles

Take it slow. Take your time. Explore different lines. The game is what happens while you play, it's not a race to T10. You've already lost that race anyways.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
9,583 posts
8,569 battles

In addition to going up the lines slowly, and playing all ship types:

Learn the penetration mechanics (I know, lewd).  You give more damage, you take less.

Learn the vision mechanics.

[SYN]
Members
15,860 posts
12,803 battles

Do not invest real money into the game.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[WORX]
Members
10,635 posts
18,550 battles

Find the little fun in WOWS from the sea of toxic frustration...

In doing so, you'll last longer then those who cant...

• Boring 1

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts

Well intentioned, but no.
Back in the good old days, you would go to the store and buy a game.
Open the box, and inside was an owner's manual, with valuable instructions.
But 90% of buyers refused to read it, unless they got stuck, and then only maybe.
So as soon as Al Gore invented the internet, the publishers stopped including it because
players who wanted it could find it online, and it saved the corpo's money.

And that is a major hurdle in online video game design.
If the players can't figure it out right away, they will leave.
That's why this game is so easy to learn, but hard to master.

The players who care, already know to seek out help.
And there's nothing you can do to get the other players to wake up.
It is what it is.

• Meh 1

[REVY]
Members
2,282 posts
12,264 battles

Move up at your own pace. It is not a race to Tier 10.

Dont focus on one ship type or country. Try them all. Playing the other Ships will help you to learn their strengths and weaknesses. You may also find you like a particular ship of a line that you had never considered.

it is easy to become frustrated with this game. CVs, DDs, overpens, continuous losses, all can drag you down. Make sure you take a break when it feels like you’re stuck in a rut.

[V_V_V]
Members
672 posts
14,695 battles

You've expressed two very good thoughts.

I will add:

Reading the Forum will expose a player to many different points of view about many aspects of the game;  

Take them all with a grain of salt;  

Don't discharge toxins in your wake.

[--O--]
Members
931 posts

It is hard to talk to new players or ones in general most I have found dont want to hear anything they know it all.

The ones that do, I try to take in to a training room and help or talk in chat with.

Best advice and what I still do with every new ships I get is go in a training room and learn what it can do against others stationary, then moving and armed.  But probably the #1 is pay attention to the mini-map at all times.

Covid suck, I just found out today it took my doctors life this week, broke my heart. Which reminds me to try and not be salty also as a Great advice you never know what is going on in someones life, they might be playing to escape from pain.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles
11 minutes ago, Lert said:

Take it slow. Take your time. Explore different lines. The game is what happens while you play, it's not a race to T10. You've already lost that race anyways.

6 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

In addition to going up the lines slowly, and playing all ship types:

Learn the penetration mechanics (I know, lewd).  You give more damage, you take less.

Learn the vision mechanics.

Also the best most enjoyable play may not be the top.

Members
1,092 posts

Play for FUN!

Do not worry about how many ships you sink, Stay alive as long as you can without hiding.

Stay alert use your mini map!

Above all only progress when you have full knowledge of the ship your driving.

Tiers 6-7-8 are where you will find the most enjoyment,without worrying about Credits and Exp.

Expect no help from others on your MM team unless you go into it with a division.

Any advise you take from others, always know it is up to you to make the decision if it is worthwhile.

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles

I would tell them to run.

• Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,056 posts
36,014 battles

1. Play lots of coop and ops to practice shooting. Each time you get a new ship, play it in coop til handling it becomes automatic. 

2. join a clan. experienced players are valuable resources.

3. Don't play CV til you have 2000 games under your belt.

4. Start with IJN DDs so you can learn to position and read minimaps, and play them til you can affect the game flow meaningfully. Then move on to other ships. 

Mystified why the downvote

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 2

[O_O]
Members
38 posts
1,807 battles

First play 75 battles in coop and learn to aim a little bit.

In random play at least 100 battles in tier 3.

Play more than 100 battles in tier 4.

Tier 5 starts to get more difficult.

Just don't go up until you master the tier before.

I had to relearn my aim in the Kongo with that range.

I only have 2 tier 6's at the moment, the fuso and aboa.

First I'm going to grind other ships to tier 5/6 before I move to tier 7.

Last week I was in a tier 5 battle 5vs5.

Our only bb went middle and got torped to the basement by a DD at the start.

Looked up his profile and the guy had 2 tier 5 premiums, 25 battles and a 25% win rate.

I messaged him afterwards to please never go middle again and start at tier 1.

The next day he had a couple of tier 3's researched so that was a good thing.

The bottom tiers are really fun when you start and you learn a lot so why my miss out.

Unless it's 5vs5 with 4 CVS of course...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles
4 minutes ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

Play for FUN!

Do not worry about how many ships you sink, Stay alive as long as you can without hiding.

Stay alert use your mini map!

Above all only progress when you have full knowledge of the ship your driving.

Tiers 6-7-8 are where you will find the most enjoyment,without worrying about Credits and Exp.

Expect no help from others on your MM team unless you go into it with a division.

Any advise you take from others, always know it is up to you to make the decision if it is worthwhile.

What other reason to play a game than for enjoyment? I hate how some people disparage people playing for fun. Always try to do your best but have fun while doing it.

I would add tier 5 to your tier range.

• Cool 1

[SCARY]
Alpha Tester
81 posts
18,999 battles

To quit before WG can screw them in another dumb decision. If they must play on, never spend a dime with them because WG will go out of their way to poke you where the sun doesn't shine the first time they get a chance and the more you have spent the more they will make sure you regret it.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
9,583 posts
8,569 battles

A couple of others.

LOOK AT THE MINIMAP!!!!!!!!!

Turn on last known location of ships on the minimap.  If you don't know how, come here and ask someone.

[PVE]
Members
6,154 posts
22,432 battles

To keep it simple let the tech tree be your "checksheet".

Starting w/IJN (1st in the tree) cruisers (1st ship type everybody starts w/at T1) run them all the way through T4....then do the same w/US cruisers & continue all the way through the tree from top to bottom until all cruisers are completed through T4.

Stick w/just cruisers until they are complete instead of jumping to other ship types so you don't need to keep track of differing basic ship parameters each battle.

After cruisers are complete switch to DDs (again starting at IJN & working way down in order) & run them through T4...& then the BBs...& then the CVs.

Next run all lines (in the same order...IJN down the tree starting from cruisers through CVs) through T6 where most nation's get their defining traits introduced.

At that time you should have an idea what ship type & nation clicks w/you & you can either run 1 or a multitude of different ships either up to T8 1st or to T10 as you see fit w/a full knowledge of basic mechanics.

After T6 you can continue all through T8 1st to finish getting all the nation's traits introduced plus be introduced to all the nation's line splits also before venturing to T10 but you should have the basics down by T6.

I of course didn't do any of this but that would be my recommendation for a new player.

• Cool 1

Members
1,092 posts
4 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Starting w/IJN (1st in the tree) cruisers (1st ship type everybody starts w/at T1) run them all the way through T4....then do the same w/US cruisers & continue all the way through the tree from top to bottom until all cruisers are completed through T4.

Stick w/just cruisers until they are complete instead of jumping to other ship types so you don't need to keep track of differing basic ship parameters each battle.

After cruisers are complete switch to DDs (again starting at IJN & working way down in order) & run them through T4...& then the BBs...& then the CVs.

Next run all lines (in the same order...IJN down the tree starting from cruisers through CVs) through T6 where most nation's get their defining traits introduced.

At that time you should have an idea what ship type & nation clicks w/you & you can either run 1 or a multitude of different ships either up to T8 1st or to T10 as you see fit w/a full knowledge of basic mechanics.

After T6 you can continue all through T8 1st to finish getting all the nation's traits introduced plus be introduced to all the nation's line splits also before venturing to T10 but you should have the basics down by T6.

I of course didn't do any of this but that would be my recommendation for a new player.

I only see ONE problem with this scenario.    PORT SLOTS  ... New players get 10

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles
7 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Most of us broke several if not all of the suggestions but hind sight is 20/20.

1 minute ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

I only see ONE problem with this scenario.    PORT SLOTS  ... New players get 10

That is a lot better than when most of us started when it was four. Once they can get missions they can rack up a couple every week if they finish the "dailies" and they are not very expensive and should be the first monetary investment into the game.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
6,154 posts
22,432 battles
1 minute ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

I didn't say to hoard the ships as you go...when you need more slots sell the low tier ships to make room for the higher tier ones as you go. They (the low tier ships) are cheap to buy back later.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles
8 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I didn't say to hoard the ships as you go...when you need more slots sell the low tier ships to make room for the higher tier ones as you go. They (the low tier ships) are cheap to buy back later.

Even if they do keep them the slots are not expensive and if they take their time leveling between a few bucks into doubloons for slots and the dailies they should be fine.

[NFJF]
Beta Testers
210 posts
9,422 battles

Most important thing is to turn every so often very op.

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
644 posts
12,068 battles

DD game play:

• Hit P to turn off AA
  • Know your stealth detection (bottom right of ridicule) 
  • Know your torps distance
  • Cap flags but take your time not get spotted doing so
  • Dont over extend
  • Turn into fighter planes makes it hard for them fire rockets at you
  • Learn what ships have radar and how are it goes and how long
  • Smoke for your team and spot for them too

CA/CL/BC Game play:

• Know your stealth detection rate
  • load hydo over def AA
  • Know how to yous priority sectors
  • Dont over extend
  • Don't sail broad side to BB or other Cruisers
  • Learn to switch to AP when enemy ship sails broad side
  • angling is key
  • Use smart tactics like kitting enemy ship

BB game play:

• Dont sail broad side to BB
  • DON'T CAMP THE BACK AND SNIPE
  • Learn when to push and when to fall back
  • Dont shoot DD with AP switch to HE
  • Know what ship have good secondary and what ones have crappy ones
  • Positioning positioning is key to playing BB
  • Dont over extend in the begging
  • Help your Cruiser push
  • Use your repairs smart, don't use them on one fire or one flood
  • Use your heals smart
  • Angling is key to not eating a ton of cit.

CV game play:

• Dont say in one place the hole game move up with your team but keep a safe distance from enemys
  • Dont fly into a group of enemy's go for the one ship by its self
  • Learn to weave through flack
  • Spot the enemy dds or kill them
  • Kill the low hp ship
  • Spot cap circles
  • Drop fighters for team mates
  • help support pushs
  • Dont spend the whole gaming going after one DD

Other help full tips:

• Enlarge your mini maps its helpful info
  • Turn of spotting /distance main gun distance/ torp distance/ radar distance/ hydro distances
  • Learn how to speed up and slow down to throw enemy fire off
  • equip camo for small stat boost 
  • equip sigals for buffs
  • Keep your eye on the mini map for team position and enemy position
  • turn on alt setting so see ships name and health under controls
  • Cool 1