Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SquirrelPlayz_YT

Alaska or Agir?

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
6 posts
429 battles

I hope you are all well,

I was wondering whether to get Alaska or the Agir as they are all cruisers that are very similar to each other, for example, they have the same guns. The major difference is that the Agir has torpedoes while Alaska has a radar. They are all similar ships with a similar price, so I can not make up my mind on which one to get.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,360 posts
11,269 battles

Tier for tier, Alaska is definitely the better ship. On top of that, it’s older (over a year old now) and quite popular, so I wouldn’t be surprised if she gets pulled by the end of the summer. If you’re considering both, Agir is so new it’s probably not going anywhere any time soon. The radar, decent accuracy (but floaty shells if you’re not used to USN arcs), and super heavy improved angle AP more than make up for the torps and slightly better survivability Agir has instead. 

That’s not to say Agir is a bad ship, it’s just middle of the pack for t9 large cruisers and doesn’t have much to set it apart from the other tier mates. I’d still get it eventually just for the snowflake and to collect it, but it’s lower on the list of priorities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
549
[UN1]
Members
1,217 posts
3,657 battles

Alaska has radar, improved AP angles, and superior HE damage. 

Agir has better ballistics, torpedoes, vastly superior secondaries (even despite the nerf), and superior HE penetration. 

They really should have kept the Agir the way it originally was cause it's too dang similar to the Alaska IMHO. 

Alaska is a reeeeeaaallllly really good ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
102
[NG-NL]
Members
264 posts
9,187 battles

Alaska is well known. Many players have it, and there are Youtube videos where you can watch how the ship is played and how it performs.
Ägir was just released and is not yet well known. There are a few Youtube videos, but some might show the pre-release form, before final changes.

See how Alaska is played. If you think you would enjoy that style, definitely get Alaska. You will have zero regrets. I use my US BB captain in it.
If you would not enjoy the play style of Alaska, then don't get it now. Maybe don't get Ägir yet, either, until more is known about the ship.

P.S. In Co-operative mode, I expect Ägir would be stronger than Alaska. Torpedoes are very useful there, and Radar is very not.

Edited by imaginary_b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,123
[CVA16]
Members
5,391 posts
16,216 battles
7 hours ago, imaginary_b said:

Radar is very not.

Noticed that. Only ship I have where I routinely use it is the Black. Very rare that I need it in anything else. Usually because one of the red bots is now in smoke laid by a preceding ship. Sometimes one of ours.

Hydro is still very useful on ships that have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
467
[ICBM]
Members
825 posts
9,361 battles

Alaska is pure magic. I actually paid real money for it because I was saving my FXP for something else and have not regretted the purchase even one little bit. Money well spent. 

Be aware, that you have to treat her guns like US BB guns. That's about the type of ballistics you should expect. If you're comfortable with that, then I'd pull the trigger. I actually prefer her arcing shells because you can fire from behind cover more easily and drop shells on hiding cruisers when they think they are safe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
147 posts
3,894 battles
On 6/23/2020 at 1:31 PM, mrieder79 said:

Alaska is pure magic. I actually paid real money for it because I was saving my FXP for something else and have not regretted the purchase even one little bit. Money well spent. 

Be aware, that you have to treat her guns like US BB guns. That's about the type of ballistics you should expect. If you're comfortable with that, then I'd pull the trigger. I actually prefer her arcing shells because you can fire from behind cover more easily and drop shells on hiding cruisers when they think they are safe. 

Do u still like Alaska after u played a while?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
467
[ICBM]
Members
825 posts
9,361 battles

Yes. I love alaska. It has cruiser concealment and maneuverability with guns that feel like BB guns. The improved pen angles actually make them more effective against cruisers than actual BBs. To be fair the maneuverability and concealment aren't as good as all cruisers, but are much better than tier 9 bb. Plus, Alaska citadel is so low, its rare to take citadels. In late game you can successfully brawl many BBs and totally waste them because they can't cit you at close range, while you can easily cit them.  

You have hydro, radar, good AA.  It's the full package. Great ship. Easy to play. I recently picked up stalingrad and, while the 'grad's guns are better, she is much harder to play than Alaska because of the concealment, vulnerable citadel, and battle-ship sized turning circle and rudder shift time. 

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
147 posts
3,894 battles
26 minutes ago, mrieder79 said:

Yes. I love alaska. It has cruiser concealment and maneuverability with guns that feel like BB guns. The improved pen angles actually make them more effective against cruisers than actual BBs. To be fair the maneuverability and concealment aren't as good as all cruisers, but are much better than tier 9 bb. Plus, Alaska citadel is so low, its rare to take citadels. In late game you can successfully brawl many BBs and totally waste them because they can't cit you at close range, while you can easily cit them.  

You have hydro, radar, good AA.  It's the full package. Great ship. Easy to play. I recently picked up stalingrad and, while the 'grad's guns are better, she is much harder to play than Alaska because of the concealment, vulnerable citadel, and battle-ship sized turning circle and rudder shift time. 

  

Thanks for the assessment. When I see the Alaska in a game, I wonder why not just use a BB instead? Sure BB is slower but better protection. 

Its good to hear a first hand experience.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
793
[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,755 posts
11,770 battles
On 6/30/2020 at 10:27 PM, Titus_Pullo_13 said:

When I see the Alaska in a game, I wonder why not just use a BB instead? Sure BB is slower but better protection. 

One word: utility.  Alaska is the embodiment kf the USN CA utility and ambush role provided by very good Survivability, consumable flexibility and concealment.

I don't have Agir atm, but Alaska is imo almost the absolute embodiment of what a cruiser should be; Heavy cruiser anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
262
[APES]
Members
993 posts
6,316 battles

Capital ships should not be afraid of enemy destroyers. The destroyers should be afraid of our capital ships. --- USS Alaska

ak.thumb.png.100ccc615e4f49b9033ea00de2eae67b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×