You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TinCanMan_

Replays How to

9 comments in this topic

[-NXS-]
Members
30 posts
3,211 battles

Newbie question.  

Any links or info on the best way to create and save replays?  Thanks in advance.

Members
4,370 posts
11,269 battles

Replays are enabled automatically now, and the game saves your last 30 replays by default. If you want to extend that number there are two options - if you want a finite number you’ll need to edit the engine config files and change the number it saves, but if you just want to save all there’s an option in the official modstation to do so. They’re saved in a replays folder in the same location that your client is installed in.

To view them, you need to launch them with a client running the same main version of the game (so for example, replays from 9.5 and 9.5.1 will play in 9.5.1, but 9.4 replays will no longer play with the current client). After making sure the client is closed, either drag and drop the replay file onto a shortcut to the .exe for the game (make sure it’s the worldofwarships.exe, not the Game Center or old wowslauncher.exe). The game will load it and launch into battle just like it would for a normal game. 

If you want to record the replay, you need to use a screen capture program (I use OBS like a large number of other players and streamers; other options include Fraps, and most graphics cards have recording programs they come with). 

• Cool 1

[DOG]
Members
692 posts
11,834 battles
20 minutes ago, Battle_Cat_Cringer said:

With the WG replay system, is there a way to view post game results? Or rewind when watching the replay?

No, if there's a result you like (and want to keep record of - i.e., high score in a particular ship) you need to screen shot it before you close the regular game client.  To run replays, there are controls to change speed and skip forward/backwards (I might have found an article on WoWS web site that said what they were and I think at one time the game client would display a brief summary of controls and actions available). At one point WG changed the controls and what I used to do no longer worked.  I experimented (by pressing every key) to see what did what. Here's my last record of what did what (but caution - I have not played a replay in a while so its possible there are different key mappings and functions now).

Don't press START button
Ctrl-G toggles the UI elements visibility
LM click allows you to control the camera view
Ctrl-Shift-Backspace - free camera
End key pauses
INS speeds up replay
DEL slows down replay
HOME key brings back to normal
. key jumps ahead 20seconds

Members
4,370 posts
11,269 battles
25 minutes ago, Battle_Cat_Cringer said:

With the WG replay system, is there a way to view post game results? Or rewind when watching the replay?

There’s no way to view results in the replay since the file is just a set of instructions telling the client what to display while the game is playing (it’s the exact same set of instructions the server sends to the client while playing). The results are completely separate. 

As for rewinding....well there is a key command to rewind in the controls list, but in reality it’s a ‘crash client’ key command and has been ever since replays existed. Fast forward is an eventual crash if you go too fast, rewind is an instant crash. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

Members
99 posts
31 minutes ago, Battle_Cat_Cringer said:

No, if you want to have post-game results you need to make a conscious effort to screen cap them from the client in the same session. If you're submitting a replay file to https://replayswows.com/ for example it's a good idea to upload those screen caps as well; they'll be added on to the end if they use your replay to create a video.

If you want to make your own video you can use screen capture programs like OBS Studio or Nvidia GeForce.

An old thread: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/19170-enabling-wows-replays/

Edited by DanSilverwing

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,246 posts
12,678 battles

The replay function of this game is a side effect, not a feature. WG has many bigger fish to fry until this one. Like more currencies, more slot machines events, etc.

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,613 posts
19,748 battles
1 hour ago, Battle_Cat_Cringer said:

No and yes in a way. Sorry about the vagueness of the answer. There is no video editing of the replay that I am aware of. It is best to capture the session with a third party software such as Debut or Bandicam as the action happens. However you can upload a replay to get the personal score screen here. After a few days there will be a MPG4 video you can download too from the same site. I hope this helps you.

[TBB]
Members
616 posts
4,902 battles
4 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Replays are enabled automatically now, and the game saves your last 30 replays by default. If you want to extend that number there are two options - if you want a finite number you’ll need to edit the engine config files and change the number it saves, but if you just want to save all there’s an option in the official modstation to do so. They’re saved in a replays folder in the same location that your client is installed in.

To view them, you need to launch them with a client running the same main version of the game (so for example, replays from 9.5 and 9.5.1 will play in 9.5.1, but 9.4 replays will no longer play with the current client). After making sure the client is closed, either drag and drop the replay file onto a shortcut to the .exe for the game (make sure it’s the worldofwarships.exe, not the Game Center or old wowslauncher.exe). The game will load it and launch into battle just like it would for a normal game. 

If you want to record the replay, you need to use a screen capture program (I use OBS like a large number of other players and streamers; other options include Fraps, and most graphics cards have recording programs they come with). 

So I dragged the replay into the World Of Warships64 Application. The countdown goes to 0 but the replay doesn't start, it just sits on the loading screen of the battle. Is this the wrong path? I have WoWs on Steam:

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\World of Warships\bin\2591463\bin64