Sign in to follow this  
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Just When You Think A Name Of A Place Can’t Get Any Crazier

9 comments in this topic

Members
12,612 posts
14,320 battles

Found out this lake is actually named this and that it’s real and not somebody telling me something crazy. Although I think the odd looks I gave them were well deserved lol. :Smile_amazed:

Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg

(And yes by some miracle I spelled this correctly. But don’t ask me to try to pronounce it.)

Would love to know what possesses somebody to come up with such a name...  :Smile_facepalm:

• Funny 2

[UNHLY]
Members
3,226 posts
25,262 battles
18 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Found out this lake is actually named this and that it’s real and not somebody telling me something crazy. Although I think the odd looks I gave them were well deserved lol. :Smile_amazed:

(And yes by some miracle I spelled this correctly. But don’t ask me to try to pronounce it.)

Would love to know what possesses somebody to come up with such a name...  :Smile_facepalm:

Possible someone had one to many drinks when trying to say the name but it was legally registered and no one had the courage or foresight to challenge or maybe it was just a prank that stuck.   

[PVE]
Members
11,069 posts
19,170 battles

So the Alaskan town of Chicken was named that because the founders couldn't agree on how to spell Ptarmigan, and so the towns name is Chicken until this day.

image.png.ee4dc0223af6eaf627f608792693923d.png

This huge metal chicken, named “Eggee”,  perched on a hill overlooking the Pedro Dredge at Chicken Gold Camp in Chicken, Alaska, one of the few surviving gold rush towns in the state. It’s a sight you can’t miss within a small town with a name you surely won’t forget. The metal statue was crested by high school students from recycled school lockers and presented to Chicken Gold Camp, who sponsors the annual Chickenstock Music Festival.

The town of Chicken was named in 1902 when the community applied for a Post Office and needed a name.  The gathering of local miners who had flocked to the town for gold chose “Ptarmigan”, opting to name their little hub after the type of bird they frequently spotted in the area.

But they soon ran into a problem—no one could actually agree on how to spell “ptarmigan.” So as not to ruffle the feathers of any future map readers with a fowl spelling error, the residents decided to call the town “Chicken” instead because the two birds look a bit similar and the word was easy to spell.

The tiny town—its population dips down into the single digits in the winter—celebrates its connection with the popular farm animal. Chicken’s humorous naming story is immortalized by the giant metal chicken sculpture off the main road (just off Airport Road at Chicken Gold Camp). There are other chicken decorations within the small downtown area, too, each one a charming addition to still-active mining community.

A friend of mine that I met in Hawaii has a gold mine there (He had no money and worked as a Carpenter, he was a good one though.)

• Cool 1

Members
12,612 posts
14,320 battles
1 hour ago, tm63au said:

Possible someone had one to many drinks when trying to say the name but it was legally registered and no one had the courage or foresight to challenge or maybe it was just a prank that stuck.   

Yeah well can you imagine a 911 call happening there!? And then trying to say where you are...

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,063 posts
19,374 battles

I immediately thought of Monty Python and The Holy Grail. The seen where Tim was interpreting the writing on the side of the cave. Carved in stone where the person actually spelled “arrrrgghhhhhh” the last thing they ever wrote 

[--K--]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,806 posts
5,996 battles

It means....

“English knifemen and Nipmuck Indians at the boundary or neutral fishing place.”

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles
6 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

You're facepalming something that is from Native American language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Chaubunagungamaug

[SLFF]
[SLFF]
Members
836 posts
52,034 battles

There's always Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.  I wonder what the point values on Welsh Scrabble tiles are?

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this