You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Playing CV is the most frustrating experience I've had in this game

62 comments in this topic

Members
781 posts
2,764 battles

I started playing the Japanese CV line a few years ago but only ever had a dozen or so games before losing interest. Started playing again the other month with the Ryūjō and although its a competent carrier it is without doubt the most frustrating class I've ever played.

It's just a feeling of been helpless as you watch your teammates do stupid stuff (cruisers trying to engage BB's at medium range side on ect) or DD's rushing a cap unsupported where they are outnumbered 3-1. No one seems to take notice of my spotting. I can scout and do attack runs (that don't really do much damage unless RNG smiles on me). It's just a mix of frustration and annoyance as I watch my team melt or throw away a easy victory by doing something illogical or ridiculous.. 

Also the Ryūjō really doesn't pack much punch against light and medium targets. The last game I was the sole survivor on my team against a Pensacola who was 90% dead and chasing me, not a single one of my full strength squadrons could get near him, rocket, bomber or torps, as he shredded wave after wave (not sure how, my Pepsi never seems that effective against planes) ended up losing the game as they had 2 caps and I could not scratch the dam cruiser. My sub 35% CV WR continues to fall.. :P

Also the planes have become incredibly hard to aim, rocket planes often miss stationary DD's, torp bombers cannot get anywhere near cruisers for a hit unless the captain is asleep and bombers constantly miss sitting ducks even when the bombsight is perfectly lined up, extremely rare to get 2 bombs on a target, even rarer to citadel it. 

So for all the CV hate these things generate, they certainly come at a price in frustration for the guy trying to operate them. 

• Cool 10
  • Haha 5
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 14

[TBW]
Members
10,278 posts
17,459 battles

Ya know, at the beginning of this game I was going to get into the CV lines last. I kept them in my line up and bought all of the premiums. I haven't played them yet on the new meta, even though I have all of the premium ones. MR Gibbins does a great job at showing you how to play them on his Twitch stream. Seek him out and ask him questions and watch how he plays while you ask him questions. He does a great job of explaining what he is doing in his CVs while he is flying them right in front of you. Just ask him to show you he is one of the best Community contributors. Miss Mouse and MrGibbins are both number 1 in my book.

If your not having fun with them quit them.

P.S. Mister G Twitches every weekday for 8 hours a day England time. NA I think about 8 am till 4 pm or there about for central time.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles

While I can relate to your woes about the team doing dumb things(this happens when playing any ship, CVs are just more likely to notice it when it happens) I can't say I agree with RJ being weak against various targets. Keep practicing, it might take some time to get used to how the aiming works, especially with the AP bombers, but once you do you will be rewarded with plenty of salt.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,574 posts
15,635 battles

I’ve found the IJN DB have the best chance of getting a citadel by putting your aiming sight length wise with the ship (bow to stern) and dropping on the superstructure as exact center of the ship as possible. RNG does play a factor. If you hit the side it’s usually over pens or could miss. If you hit a turret they may not do as much damage.

A Pepsicola with only 10% HP left was flaming all your planes? It must have been mostly torpedo/flooding damage he had received. Usually HE hits to the areas where the AA mounts are (generally the superstructure area) will weaken it’s AA capabilities.

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,295 posts

IJN has the best bombers to hit citadels. Almoty all matchs i get citadels with Ryujo.

[WPORT]
Members
5,416 posts
10,469 battles
4 hours ago, Tekina_ said:

While I can relate to your woes about the team doing dumb things(this happens when playing any ship, CVs are just more likely to notice it when it happens) I can't say I agree with RJ being weak against various targets. Keep practicing, it might take some time to get used to how the aiming works, especially with the AP bombers, but once you do you will be rewarded with plenty of salt.

^^^
I might have used different words, but I share the sentiments.

[GWG]
Members
77 posts
5,255 battles

When the carrier game changed completely, I wouldn't even go into Co-Op until I've gotten proficient with the new controls.

I have RN, US, IJN, and the German CV.  My other account has US and IJN T10 CVs.

I regularly play the T6 CVs in Scenarios.  The Ryujo is the best performer if used to it's strengths.

My advice:

Take it into 'TRAINING' mode and practice maneuvers against stationary targets.
See how fast you can spin those planes around for a second attack.  If not, then how far you must fly away before making that turn back for the 2nd attack.
Turn rate changes with nationality.  And it it also changes with release as WG steath nerfs the damn things.
Especially in T6 - find a low AA battleship sailing YOLO alone -- I can make three torp drops rather quickly, get a flood, then come back with rockets and set some fires.

Well defended/played ships are one-shot per squad attacks.  Let the accelerator charge up until in Flaq range - then hit the 'W', charge in, make the drop, then hit plane return - even before the ordnance hits.  Don't even think about a second attack.
You mentioned the Pensacola.  If it is set up for AA, it will melt your face if you hang around too long.
Get lined up outside AA range, charge in, and make it count.  Think about what you are going to do if the target turns in or out during your approach.
I've been in that 1v1 situation many times.  It may sound odd, but YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN and think things through..  like a chess game.
Look at islands that may interfere with your attack.  The target could use an island to ram into to foil your lead.  Or they could swing over to the other side of one so you'd have to drop over land...   Just hang back until you have a clear shot...   Those few seconds won't kill you.

Edited by AVR__Project
  • Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
6 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

I started playing the Japanese CV line a few years ago but only ever had a dozen or so games before losing interest. Started playing again the other month with the Ryūjō and although its a competent carrier it is without doubt the most frustrating class I've ever played.

It's just a feeling of been helpless as you watch your teammates do stupid stuff (cruisers trying to engage BB's at medium range side on ect) or DD's rushing a cap unsupported where they are outnumbered 3-1. No one seems to take notice of my spotting. I can scout and do attack runs (that don't really do much damage unless RNG smiles on me). It's just a mix of frustration and annoyance as I watch my team melt or throw away a easy victory by doing something illogical or ridiculous.. 

Also the Ryūjō really doesn't pack much punch against light and medium targets. The last game I was the sole survivor on my team against a Pensacola who was 90% dead and chasing me, not a single one of my full strength squadrons could get near him, rocket, bomber or torps, as he shredded wave after wave (not sure how, my Pepsi never seems that effective against planes) ended up losing the game as they had 2 caps and I could not scratch the dam cruiser. My sub 35% CV WR continues to fall.. :P

Also the planes have become incredibly hard to aim, rocket planes often miss stationary DD's, torp bombers cannot get anywhere near cruisers for a hit unless the captain is asleep and bombers constantly miss sitting ducks even when the bombsight is perfectly lined up, extremely rare to get 2 bombs on a target, even rarer to citadel it. 

So for all the CV hate these things generate, they certainly come at a price in frustration for the guy trying to operate them. 

But wait cv op.... They always win.... So easy....

Its amazing how difficult they are to play.  But more amazing about all the hate and lies are said about them.

Thanks for the post I am sure you will get trashed by odours and there hate but thanks for the post.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 2

[--K--]
Supertester
1,217 posts
11,076 battles

How many capt points you have on it? And what skills/modules do you have selected? 

[TBB]
Members
616 posts
4,819 battles

The Japanese line is the hardest one so I get it.

You should just consider moving towards the US line; it's the best in my opinion as the HE bombs can actually do pretty well against a destroyer if you get it lined up right and the rocket options are good if you want to focus on light targets with the HVAR, though I prefer the tiny Tim's. 

I've suggested nerfs to carriers overall, they are just too overpowered and higher skill levels.

• Cool 1

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,207 posts
5,634 battles
7 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Oink Goltz!
Dude Launch Cutter,
Best way when you spot is to use the chat.
Drop fighters so the whole red fleet is permaspotted, jut write, "reds spotted, please fire".
I think sometimes players are busy doing their stuff, don't look at the map and so on.
The game lacks of team playing, but I don't see how the developers could improve that team playing.
Goltz

• Boring 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,239 posts
12,626 battles
8 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

This has nothing to do with playing CV. Unless you think playing CV sitting in the back makes you a superior class of players than other.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[NH]
Members
1,760 posts
12 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

I totally get you. I watch teams commit suicide from the air and you cant say anything or its reported and chat banned. Its like wrangling small children throwing temper tantrums the moment you try provide some leadership to the team. 

• Cool 2

[SIDE]
Members
4,662 posts
On 6/13/2020 at 1:39 AM, LunchCutter said:

Well said. I struggle to do well in carriers in random matches too. Still coming to terms with a few unintuitive mechanics and techniques. I know what ships to avoid. I have an idea how to lead and when to drop. I'm alarm d how quickly planes get wasted even when play d cautiously. Obviously not skilled enough yet to be a meaningful addition to my teams yet. I keep practicing in tier 4 and 6 coop. Good luck to you.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Confused 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,662 posts
11 hours ago, chewonit said:

This has nothing to do with playing CV. Unless you think playing CV sitting in the back makes you a superior class of players than other.

It does. If you consider about a lot of time is spent looking at the magnified minimap and most of your time is spent trying to support the strong or weak flank ( as situations dictate) then you'll see that it's insanely frustrating to send planes someplace when all your team is doing is suiciding and yoloing to death. It's a waste of time best seen from the air.

He never said anything about being superior. That's you twisting words.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 3

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,416 battles
13 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

I started playing the Japanese CV line a few years ago

Then you played RTS CVs then which are different than what is offered now. There is a learning curve to these (imho, farce) reworked CVs.

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,416 battles
56 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

I keep practicing in tier 4 and 6 coop.

This is exactly where these farce reworked CVs should be kept. The required ability to use them fits right in to 'kindergarten' mode. :Smile_teethhappy:

[HINON]
Members
13,243 posts

The TB are great but since this is a whole new ship type for you, it's going to take many games to get enough practice to be proficient. You could use OPs to get some more of the mechanical feel of dropping with the Ryujo down so you can actually nail those cruisers with torps.

[BONKS]
Members
1,481 posts
50 battles
14 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

he last game I was the sole survivor on my team against a Pensacola who was 90% dead and chasing me, not a single one of my full strength squadrons could get near him, rocket, bomber or torps, as he shredded wave after wave (not sure how, my Pepsi never seems that effective against planes) ended up losing the game as they had 2 caps and I could not scratch the dam cruiser.

I'm gonna guess you don't realize that those black flak bursts are not decorative.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 1

[CLUMP]
Members
813 posts
1,160 battles

Yup playing CV with a bad team is just meh :fish_palm:Trying your best to spot for people and trying harass ships but nope :Smile_sceptic: Most people think CVs are OP you try playing CVs with a horrible team see how OP you really are not :Smile_hiding: This why a lot of CV players hang out on tier 4 :Smile_popcorn:You try playing tier 6 and up and having to deal with bad teams damn AA and flak and top that enemy team actually play as a team :Smile_facepalm: 

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
384 posts
6,393 battles

AL027-01_pomme_de_terre_0.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Meh 1

Members
2,763 posts
93 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

I'm gonna guess you don't realize that those black flak bursts are not decorative.

"Oh but I thought AA is useless!!"

[SIMP]
Members
1,522 posts

Agree with the OP.

CVs are extremely frustrating to play compared to all other classes in the game. Those that hate on them have obviously never played them for any extended period.

One of the major issue with them is exactly what the OP has described. Even with a 'good' game, the coding is set against you making perfect attack runs miss (bombs torps rockets, it doesn't matter) . CVs are INTENTIONALLY coded to be gimped. WG did this as a counter measure to Unicums who could dominate an entire match with a CV. Now the coding forces every CV to become middle-of-the-road performers. When people give an example of a CV coming out number one in a match - they have just witnessed something truly rare. They should be giving props to the player instead of tearing him down. Not only did he do well against the other team... he also BEAT THE GIMPING CODING. That is a monumental feat, up there with a double kracken. (Possibly less so with T10 CVs as they have enough ordinance to bully their way through a lot of the restrictive coding).

So for those CV haters out there, play one, or try leveling a CV line, over an extended period. You will see just how frustrating this class is to play. You will think of 'normal' ships as an easy button afterward.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2