You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BrushWolf

USS Colorado

25 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles

I don't care that it is slow it is one beautiful ship.

Just saw this in a battle.

shot-20_06.12_22_07.29-0267.thumb.jpg.9a2f0756d44dcba3a6489c0051dd0ed4.jpg

• Cool 7

Members
2,947 posts
36,754 battles
56 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

That could be me. I like that camo. It says: "Come close or stay far, I am going to pen you."

Also, I am probably the only player that sails Colorado at least once per day.

Everyone else is too embarrassed to sail her or admit she is really good. Except, Zoup who used to call her the struggle bus, but you might catch him sailing her every now and then.

When a turn is 19 knots and you can actually juke torps, you know this BB is special. The 343mm belt is a plus. Angling is an art form.

Her guns are surprisingly deadly to just about anything in the hands of a competent captain.

Shells fired versus shells hit can be quite high recently.

I started out on her when her gun sigma was bad. Eventually WG gave here a better sigma.

Players that recently got the ship actually hit at a better percentage than even I do. I checked. One particular streamer claims Colorado is"boring", yet that streamer has quite a hit ratio with her.

It's okay to dislike her slowness, but her guns make any good shooter grin.

Cruisers that have nightmares of Colorado are:

Pensacola

Nurnberg

Omaha

Russian cruisers

IJN cruisers

Royal Navy cruisers

BBs that regretted sailing wide to Colorado are :

IJN Musashi and below ( note Yamato has been sunk by a Colorado from a failed division ages ago by a player that dropped a shell down the funnel.)

Royal Navy

Kriegsmarine BBs (Tirpitz and Bismarck are befuddled by the painful pens, Freddy wants to get close, but 17 km shells from Colorado start to sting.)

Italian BBs (ha!)

French BBs (a reason for French BBs to run)

Soviet BBs (usually give this buckaroo a wide berth, then the citadel sends them to the Briney deep.)

DDs all nations"we will have a chance, but if we miss, he doesn't."

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some behold more than others. Some leave the battle holding their head low. And others behold the poetry in motion of the slow grace of a BB that does not need to rush in, but glides elegantly to victory.

HUZZAH!

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman
  • Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
6 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

That could be me. I like that camo. It says: "Come close or stay far, I am going to pen you."

Also, I am probably the only player that sails Colorado at least once per day.

Everyone else is too embarrassed to sail her or admit she is really good. Except, Zoup who used to call her the struggle bus, but you might catch him sailing her every now and then.

When a turn is 19 knots and you can actually juke torps, you know this BB is special. The 343mm belt is a plus. Angling is an art form.

Her guns are surprisingly deadly to just about anything in the hands of a competent captain.

Shells fired versus shells hit can be quite high recently.

I started out on her when her gun sigma was bad. Eventually WG gave here a better sigma.

Players that recently got the ship actually hit at a better percentage than even I do. I checked. One particular streamer claims Colorado is"boring", yet that streamer has quite a hit ratio with her.

It's okay to dislike her slowness, but her guns make any good shooter grin.

I don't sail her every day but I do like the standard BB's, I spend most of my time in randoms in tier 5 & 6 or when playing test ships whatever tier they are.

[NFJF]
Members
653 posts
9,895 battles

I really do wish they would add a C hull for the Colorado, which would be the modernization they did on West Virginia, since I'm really doubting they are ever going to give us the modernized West Virginia in premium form. With things like sinop in the game now, I doubt that anyone can successfully win the argument that something like sinop is ok at T7, but a modernized Colorado would be too powerful at T7.  

Members
1,725 posts
8,556 battles
2 hours ago, admiralsexybeast said:

I really do wish they would add a C hull for the Colorado, which would be the modernization they did on West Virginia, since I'm really doubting they are ever going to give us the modernized West Virginia in premium form. With things like sinop in the game now, I doubt that anyone can successfully win the argument that something like sinop is ok at T7, but a modernized Colorado would be too powerful at T7.  

This. Colorado used to be great when she and Nagato were the top guns in tier 7; they have similar strengths and similar flaws, with enough difference between them for a different flavor. Each new line has disturbed that balance more. 

Nagato also needs to be rebalanced a bit, but I wouldn’t know how to do that since I’m not aware of a variant which WG is not using. 

Members
235 posts

USS Colorado the first ship in WoWs that I truly hated playing!!!! added a few since then but will never forgive her for being my first ;-)

[INTEL]
Members
13,068 posts
36,066 battles

I always like seeing Colorado-s. Food for everything I play. 

[LEGIT]
Members
2,334 posts
31,798 battles

I like Colorado too.  Got it 2ndary speced.

It's just that...well...its funnels seem too small for the size of the ship : (

[FAE]
Members
2,610 posts
3,593 battles

Colorado is pretty. Just wish it was not powercrept 

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts
11 hours ago, Bluemoon51 said:

USS Colorado the first ship in WoWs that I truly hated playing!!!! added a few since then but will never forgive her for being my first ;-)

Then you must have shed some tears playing the New Mexico.
Sitting there, thinking about what your life could have been, instead of throwing it away by fighting at a snail's pace.

[SALVO]
Members
4,463 posts
3,825 battles

Idon't like her. Looks fat, too wide, the hull has an odd bulbous shape. Every proportion on her tells she is just slow.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,756 posts
11,770 battles
17 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

West Virginia would be even prettier with that SDK superstructure and 5/38s.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,756 posts
11,770 battles
15 hours ago, admiralsexybeast said:

modernized Colorado would be too powerful at T7.  

This is the nonesense that's screwing California. AA is not a balancing factor and the presence of 5/38s yield neither ship an advantage.

Edited by Crokodone

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,340 battles

My main captain moved up at Christmas, leaving a zero-pointer behind, so I don't like to take her out in Randoms any more.

In co-op, though, she's got what it takes:

image.thumb.jpeg.f5355a950c65579983a5558e21bb366b.jpeg

Just a quickie to finish off the last couple hundred base XP for the sixth daily...

Or so I thought, until most of my team got murdered and one of only two other humans had to go AFK for most of the fight (he recovered and pulled his weight big time). So this is what happens when you go out for a three hour tour, a three hour tour...

image.thumb.jpeg.bb78ac957daf8dda1e0eacedd7f7bb3a.jpeg

...and find yourself wearing the carry pants.

No thought of stat shaming here; all the humans had a podium finish and the others fought well.

• Cool 2

Members
2,947 posts
36,754 battles
44 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

My main captain moved up at Christmas, leaving a zero-pointer behind, so I don't like to take her out in Randoms any more.

In co-op, though, she's got what it takes:

image.thumb.jpeg.f5355a950c65579983a5558e21bb366b.jpeg

Just a quickie to finish off the last couple hundred base XP for the sixth daily...

Or so I thought, until most of my team got murdered and one of only two other humans had to go AFK for most of the fight (he recovered and pulled his weight big time). So this is what happens when you go out for a three hour tour, a three hour tour...

image.thumb.jpeg.bb78ac957daf8dda1e0eacedd7f7bb3a.jpeg

...and find yourself wearing the carry pants.

No thought of stat shaming here; all the humans had a podium finish and the others fought well.

I wish I could show you what I did with her a few year's ago. It was year one and in co-op. The best you can find out is looking up Colorado's record on my username.

Let's just say I did carry and Colorado was like a wrecking ball. Yes, just like the song.

She may not have aged well, but she can still bring it. It only takes that one player in Randoms that starts laughing and doesn't take a Colorado seriously that the ship gets respect.

It could be time for Colorado to get a much needed rework. The kind that makes other ships at tier 7 through 9 to silently scream. LOL

Members
235 posts
17 hours ago, z9_ said:

Sitting there, thinking about what your life could have been, instead of throwing it away by fighting at a snail's pace.

Actually that was the hard part I really loved the New Mexico(I should add this was back when there was only the 2 BB lines). I just liked the NM better in every way

[TF_HQ]
[TF_HQ]
Members
86 posts
4,012 battles
16 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

It only takes that one player in Randoms that starts laughing and doesn't take a Colorado seriously that the ship gets respect.

Or in Ranked. I took out Colorado for about half my battles in Ranked - 61% win rate, and smacked around quite a few Sinop's. Her lack of speed is everyone's main complaint, but she teaches you to think ahead and get into better positions. Underestimate her and you may find yourself getting paddled - she tanks well, hits like a freight train, and as someone else mentioned, is pretty nimble at dodging torps.

Members
197 posts
1,338 battles
20 hours ago, z9_ said:

I genuinely love the New Mexico. If you go into a game not expecting to sprint across the map like Hood, Normandie or Kongo and position her properly then she can provide some impressive numbers. Her guns may be an inch smaller than Bayern or Queen Elizabeth, but they hit just as hard and there's 12 of them. And to top it all off, she (along with QE, Warspite and B-hull Bayern) has a quality that the long, sleek, fast boats just don't possess - the square-jawed, pugilistic look of a true brawler.

Members
6,621 posts
20,657 battles
On 6/12/2020 at 11:31 PM, BrushWolf said:

USS Chunkmuffin

USS FreeXP

USS Citadel

USS Don'tspawnonedge

USS Slowmotion

USS Waitformeguys

USS IamgoingtoplaySinopscrewthis

USS Mostofmypiersare30to55%fasterthanme

USS IcantdodgethosetorpseventhoughIseethemat5kmaway

USS IwishIhadagimmick

USS HowamIdetectedalready

USS DeadlastinrankedBBexcludingthePoltava

USS IwonderifthenewpatchinWarcraftisout 

Edited by Joyous_Vibes
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
3 hours ago, Bluemoon51 said:

Actually that was the hard part I really loved the New Mexico(I should add this was back when there was only the 2 BB lines). I just liked the NM better in every way

The "problem" for the Colorado is she sees more 25, 28, and even 30+ knot BB's than the New Mexico. Playing the US standards and other similar speed BB's is all about patience and picking the right place to be later in the match. You can't react and have to force the other team to react to you.

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,868 posts
8,476 battles
1 hour ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

-snip-

You forgot USS Pleasedon'tabandonthisflank

Memes and jokes aside, I liked the Colorado. Granted, I played it back when there were only two battleship lines so power creep hadn't hit her yet, although I think we still had +/-3 BB matchmaking IIRC. Anyway, after finishing the New Mexico, which I positively adored, getting those guns on the Colorado was very satisfying. At that point I was well used to the painfully slow play style, so I wasn't too bothered by yet another slow battleship. I thought she was a good looking ship as well.

Not gonna lie though, the North Carolina was a breath of fresh air. :Smile_hiding:

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts
3 hours ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

If you go into a game not expecting to sprint across the map like Hood, Normandie or Kongo

I play Normandie/Fuso in operations all the time. Love those ships.
For looks, I was kinda drawn to the New York more than the New Mexico. Kind of a shorter, stockier, pirate ship look.
But that Colorado, man.
No question how great the guns were.
Survivability was off the charts.
But that speed.. My God..
Retail is like 20 knots, but only if you sail in a straight line for 5 minutes.
Most of the time you're doing 12-15 knots, and it's just too painful for me.

Members
2,947 posts
36,754 battles
3 hours ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

USS Chunkmuffin

USS FreeXP

USS Citadel

USS Don'tspawnonedge

USS Slowmotion

USS Waitformeguys

USS IamgoingtoplaySinopscrewthis

USS Mostofmypiersare30to55%fasterthanme

USS IcantdodgethosetorpseventhoughIseethemat5kmaway

USS IwishIhadagimmick

USS HowamIdetectedalready

USS DeadlastinrankedBBexcludingthePoltava

USS IwonderifthenewpatchinWarcraftisout 

You forgot USS WillBeThereIn20Minutes

USS IGotALegCramp

USS WhyHelloThere

USS MyOtherBBIsOhio

USS SquishyCruiserSlayer

USS ThiccBDE

USS IGetsRubbedByTheLadies

USS RockyMountainHigh

USS OneShotThatPensThemAll

USS I DetonatedTooMany

USS IMakeMusashiBlush

USS IDidQuestionableThingsToMonarch

USS AtagoThinksIAmAPervert

USS IAmBakedAlot

USS ThatIsNotOregano

USS SlowRideTakeItEasy

USS MyHamstersAteEachOtherAfterIGaveThemRedbull

USS ImRollinAndCreepinTryinToCatchYouRidinDirty

USS SuperdreadnaughtsParadise

And finally

USS Don'tRunawayOrYouDieTired.

... somewhere on ocean map...

Captain's log: We sailed on to ocean map and I stumbled across 4 cruisers.

I hailed the cruisers and said:"Are you going to open fire or whistle Rocky Mountain High?"

Of the four cruisers, the first was a Pensacola sailing wide with gun's pointing the wrong way. The second was a Nurnberg close enough for torpedoes, but they we're still loading with 30 secs to go. The third was an Omaha further back bow in, but in no hurry to open up.

So I fired on the fourth one, the Myoko. He had crazy eyes, like he was prepared to die for his emperor.

Then I got the Nurnberg, Omaha and finally the Pensacola who finally got his guns swinging by to me.

I had backup with a NM and he got the Kagero. He later asked me about the Kagero and I told him: "Well, I reckon you had HE loaded since you are new here. So I let you get him."

And then we sailed off to the sunset with a Musashi in pursuit. She wants to settle down, but Colorado is a loner. We even had a speed flag on to outrun NM and he finally lost site of us after 3 days.

This story is in no way related to real people or that scene from"Outlaw Josey Wales". It's just a story about a lone Colorado. Nothing to see here..*pooft 🦇

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[K0]
Members
1,755 posts
8,159 battles

Colorado was always tenuously balanced with other T7 battleships, but she (along with Nagato) is almost completely outclassed by Sinop. It's a shame.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,897 posts
17,945 battles

When I played her in my early days in my transition to NC, I didn't like her.  Going from 12 fourteen inches to 8 sixteen inches "seemed" like a step backwards.  Now, several years later, I love to play her and run her now and then.  Topped out in a T9 loss the other day.  She might be slow...but with good positioning she can more than carry her tier position.  In fact, that's part of the allure.  Find the sweet spot, look over the playing field, find the juicy target, and give 'em some sixteen inch lovin.  Know what she can (and can't do), play to those traits, and she is a rock solid competitor.