You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

Russian Radar Range Why ?

13 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,808 battles

OK well its been sometime since I have seen a radar rant of sought's so I will do one myself.

Apart from  the new Russian  Ochakov ( 10 K ) all Russian ships 12 K in range no matter the Tier.

Other nations ships radar is based  on Tier with some exceptions.

True Russian radar have a lessor endurance time than other Nations again with some exceptions, SO what.

This does not explain the fact that they still have 2 K range benefit and when a ship is detected by Russian radar and can fired on by several others endurance means little.

I'm not buying this reason, and particularly with how Russian ships are performing in the current META.

So if there is a reasonable and convincing explanation backed up by facts and not spreadsheet theory I will hear it.

regards 

[PISD]
Members
1,281 posts
5,274 battles

No, other nation do not have radar based on tier.

Baltimore have the same range as Des Moines.

Cleveland have the same range as Worcester.

Edinburgh have the same range as Minotaur.

Russian 12km radar have a shorter duration, making it also less useful for the team since there is the same lag as the US one. Plus, Russian ships can be seen from the moon.

The main reason why we see so much Russian ships is their Ice Breaker armor and their long range accurate guns, the radar is somewhat the icing on top but not the game changer.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,065 posts
23,845 battles

You're not current on Radar ranges, OP.  They got changed a little while ago because WG felt the playerbase was too dumb to remember the different ranges, so the tech tree Radar Cruisers got uniform ranges.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Surveillance_Radar

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,808 battles
12 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You're not current on Radar ranges, OP.  They got changed a little while ago because WG felt the playerbase was too dumb to remember the different ranges, so the tech tree Radar Cruisers got uniform ranges.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Surveillance_Radar

OK Thanks will have look see what the go is here.

cheers

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,808 battles
22 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Russian 12km radar have a shorter duration, making it also less useful for the team since there is the same lag as the US one. Plus, Russian ships can be seen from the moon.

The main reason why we see so much Russian ships is their Ice Breaker armor and their long range accurate guns, the radar is somewhat the icing on top but not the game changer.

Again I will check out his list on the radar and wont disagree about Russian ships and detection,  but its starting to get really tiring when the goal posts keep being moved. 

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,788 posts
4,631 battles
1 hour ago, tm63au said:

So if there is a reasonable and convincing explanation backed up by facts and not spreadsheet theory I will hear it.

Easy comrade.  Russian ships *must* be better than American ships.  Is necessary.

• Cool 1

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,042 posts
11,191 battles

the 12km sort duration radar is more of an info thing, unless your in a comp setup and you have people running RPF and everyone is aiming in that direction ready to fire.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,124 posts
4,088 battles
1 hour ago, Y_Nagato said:

In addition, with the RU line release wednesday, everyone is trying out the new ships, so there's A LOT of 12km radar around. This is normal for a new patch, everyone trying out the new ships. Give it a few weeks and it will settle back down to normal. Though with this much long range radar being a DD isn't much fun at the moment, probably why there really aren't any right now. Last night I think I saw one DD per side max, and they were usually something like a Kleber, Khaba, or Halland where stealth isn't required.

To be fair though the 25sec duration plus radar mod is more than enough with 12km to screw over a DD, it's not the 50sec of the DM, but 30sec within 12km of a Moskva and his friends will still ruin your day.

[PVE]
Members
6,172 posts
22,432 battles
2 hours ago, tm63au said:

OK well its been sometime since I have seen a radar rant of sought's so I will do one myself.

Apart from  the new Russian  Ochakov ( 10 K ) all Russian ships 12 K in range no matter the Tier.

True Russian radar have a lessor endurance time than other Nations again with some exceptions, SO what.

This does not explain the fact that they still have 2 K range benefit and when a ship is detected by Russian radar and can fired on by several others endurance means little.

I'm not buying this reason, and particularly with how Russian ships are performing in the current META.

regards 

RU reload times make it where they only get a couple shots off during the duration...if coordinated w/RPF as stated above it can become OP but that level of coordination on random is fortunately rare.

[O7]
Members
1,030 posts
4,418 battles
3 hours ago, tm63au said:

regards 

First of all, radar ranges have been set regardless of tier, the exceptions are basically premiums.

For example, Baltimore/Buffalo/Des Moines all have the same radar range. Same can be said with Cleveland/Seattle/Worcester

Second of all, what matters about range is not the radar range but rather the difference between its range and minimum surface detection.

This is the reason why stealth radar is stupidly powerful because stealth radar means that the minimum surface detection is less than the radar range.

So take an Stalingrad for example, its radar is garbage because its concealment is so large that anyone can easily avoid the radar, making it useless

On the other hand, the Baltimore and Chappy have such good concealment that the moment you see the threat you can be radared.

Third of all, there needs to be a threat attached to the radar, because radar itself doesn't do any damage.

Russian cruisers have low DPM numbers, if you get radared simply shoot back and win regardless, so again that makes radar pointless.

American cruisers, on the other hand, have the DPM to actually make use of their radar.

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
27,065 posts
23,845 battles
2 hours ago, Shigure_DD said:

the 12km sort duration radar is more of an info thing, unless your in a comp setup and you have people running RPF and everyone is aiming in that direction ready to fire.

That's the best time to leverage RU Radar. Long range and with comms, everybody will be ready to fire.  In Division I'd count down when my Radar is about to be ready and will wait for my buddies to confirm they're ready.  This isn't an issue for DD / Cruisers that reload quick, but you want to make sure the BB in the Division is ready also.  Once all thumbs up, pop Radar and focus the target down.  That's when RU Radar is at its best.

But if you're solo queued into Randoms, the RU Radar duration doesn't last long enough to have a better impact.  It takes your teammates time to realize what you just did with your Radar and there will be a big delay before they start firing at the target, and by the time they actually do so, the Radar is about to go on CD.

USN / RN Radar is shorter ranged and they got to get aggressively closer to use them.  But if some stealth ship is caught in the Radar, they're screwed because the duration is very long, more than enough time for everyone to notice, switch targets, and focus that guy down.

Some ranges and active timers.

VIII Chapayev 12km / 20 seconds - Chapayev can Stealth Radar, but the duration sucks if you're not coordinated with comms.

VIII Cleveland 9km / 30 seconds

VIII Baltimore / Radar Edinburgh 10km / 30 seconds.  An often missed little detail is Baltimore has a 0.1km Stealth Radar window.  Not the only Stealth Radar Cruiser on this short list, but people often overlook her.

X Moskva 12km / 30 seconds

X Des Memes / Radar Minotaur 10km / 40 seconds

X Worcester 9km / 40 seconds

Edinburgh and Minotaur can have a very significant Stealth Radar window, but it comes at the cost of replacing Smoke with Radar consumable.  Not many are willing to do that build, but they are out there, and it's uncommon enough that guys get surprised by such Radar RN CLs.

Des Moines & Radar Minotaur with Surveillance Radar Mod 1 in Slot 2 can make a charge last 48 seconds.  Combine that with the 10km Radar range, it's very menacing.  Used right, it's brutal.

Personally, I loved using USN Radar Cruisers the most in Division play if anyone takes a DD or two.  Des Moines most especially, I learned how to make it work because my Div buddies liked Tier X way more than I did :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
4 hours ago, tm63au said:

regards 

I don't buy that Russian radar is OP because of its range.  The range is nice, but the lack of duration is not.  This is one of the rare things that is surprisingly well-balanced on Russian ships in the game.  Personally, I'd trade a bit of range for more duration.

Russian ships' performance has nothing to do with the radar.

[-VT-]
Members
857 posts
25,383 battles

Didn't see many just answering your question. You questions was why? Your answer is the developers of this game are Russian, they want to give Russian ships a quirk that sets them apart that's pretty much it. All the above rationalization of the 12km Radar is accurate. But the why is the nationality of the creator of the game, they did make it short duration thankfully.