You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
lukie116

Tankiest cruiser tree?

27 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
160 posts
2,070 battles

Ive pretty much only played battleships for my entire time playing this game and would like to try out some cruisers. Which cruisers can take a beating? I'm thinking probably teh German ones or Russian ones? Because I love shooting at british french and amurican cruisers they get demolished by just about anything. 

Members
3,585 posts
12,976 battles

Probably the USN CAs, as long as you stay bow on. At least tankiest throughout it's line (when angled). Some of the others the higher tiers are "tankier" but the mid tiers still really squish. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[META_]
Members
1,233 posts
16,073 battles
9 minutes ago, lukie116 said:

Ive pretty much only played battleships for my entire time playing this game and would like to try out some cruisers. Which cruisers can take a beating? I'm thinking probably teh German ones or Russian ones? Because I love shooting at british french and amurican cruisers they get demolished by just about anything. 

Depends what you value more... 12km radar or 6km(with specific captain) long duration hydro..... I only play prinz eugen but have the moskva also.... I love the long duration hydro for pushing when it comes up and torps😉

Beta Testers
160 posts
2,070 battles
1 minute ago, Rollingonit said:

Probably the USN CAs, as long as you stay bow on. At least tankiest throughout it's line (when angled). Some of the others the higher tiers are "tankier" but the mid tiers still really squish. 

Ye I think maybe once you get to teh cleveland and higher their tnakier. I have the Omaha rn and it blows up so fast lol it's still kinda entertaining to zip around and harrass people like I can't do it my battleships.

Members
6,621 posts
20,648 battles

British Heavy Cruiser line. There is no tanky cruiser line, however there is decent armor and nice heals. British Heavy Cruiser line. And they do very well at every tier.

Members
3,585 posts
12,976 battles
Just now, lukie116 said:

Ye I think maybe once you get to teh cleveland and higher their tnakier. I have the Omaha rn and it blows up so fast lol it's still kinda entertaining to zip around and harrass people like I can't do it my battleships.

O I meant the CAs (New Orleans, Balti, Buf, and Des Moines). Cleveland and so on are the CLs. 

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

The tankiest tech tree cruisers are the Des Moines Line from tier 8+, the German line tier 8+ and the tier 4 and below.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,842 battles

No such thing as a "Tanky Cruiser Line."

Because eventually you'll find guns that will sh*t on your "Tanky Cruiser" Line.

You will hear of things like the 27mm bow of High Tier USN & German Heavy Cruisers.  That's nice until a 406mm+ armed Battleship shows up and royally sh*ts on your ice cream in front of you and proceeds to fart in your face.

Even Moskva with the 50mm deck, tall 50mm icebreaker bow is supremely squishy the moment any joker gets somewhat of a glimpse of the sides.

Even Moskva can be worn down with HE DPM attacks because she doesn't have the HP levels of a Battleship to withstand that.

Some DDs can creep up and plant AP shells into the sides of Cruisers and Citadel them.

If you want to be able to withstand attacks well, you stick to BBs.  Cruisers are about consistent gunnery with a blend of speed and agility.  Certain ones at High Tier can provide team utility with Radar.  Staying Power is not the forte of Cruisers.

Trying to "Tank" in a Cruiser in the WoWS of today in a era of lots of 380mm and even 406mm in Tier VI, the abundance of 406mm guns in High Tier, the presence of Yamato-class with 460mm guns, 430mm armed Republique, and the introduction of 457mm armed Kremlin, Thunderer, Ohio, Georgia that literally sh*t on the best Cruiser Armor schemes... Some of these BBs have been gimmicked up by WG to be more accurate than what is normal for a BB, and have some rates of fire that are approaching 20 seconds.  Trying to tank that in a Cruiser is foolish.

If you want to tank that firepower you play Battleships.  Otherwise, anything else is a pale imitation in terms of staying power, pretending to be and do something that an entire set of ships (BBs) do better.

You think you can tank in your Tier X Des Moines, Salem until a simple Tier VIII North Carolina sh*ts on you with her 406mm guns and can citadel you regardless of your angling.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,735 posts
27 minutes ago, lukie116 said:

Russian cruisers tend to be fragile and not agile.

For tanky cruisers, you want German from Yorck up, or US heavies aside from Pensacola. 

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
2,922 posts
15,368 battles

German cruiser, all rounder with turtle back armor lay-out

perform well in every situation

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,842 battles
3 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

German cruiser, all rounder with turtle back armor lay-out

perform well in every situation

It's nice theoretically, but in reality the way people play Cruisers is at range.  That is where you can reliably Penetrate and Citadel German CAs, even Hindenburg.  Then even they run into the issues that they start seeing gun sizes that are large enough to sh*t on their protection schemes.

WG has been for a while now introducing more and more BBs with 430mm+ guns that crap on the best Cruiser protection schemes out there.  There are certain sections that Hindenburg relied on to try to tank even in close range, but that's no longer valid against 430mm+ AP.  And there's been lots of 457mm armed BBs that have been introduced already.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
2,922 posts
15,368 battles
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

large enough to sh*t on their protection schemes

that when the German short range torp coming in handy :Smile_trollface:

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles
42 minutes ago, lukie116 said:

German and USN heavy cruiser lines are fairly tanky for cruisers from about T7 and above. The French cruisers have spaced armour that can make them surprisingly resilient even at low tiers like T3.  But really, there isnt such a thing as a tanky cruiser - driving them like a battleship will get you killed.  Have a look at my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide for some other suggestions. 

Good luck!

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,842 battles
2 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

that when the German short range torp coming in handy :Smile_trollface:

Not when they're getting smashed to bits before they get into 6km range.

I sh*t on those too many times.

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
2,922 posts
15,368 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I sh*t on those too many times

ah, i missed the final equation to the whole solution

it also depend on the player's skills :Smile_trollface:

no bb messing around with me in my Hindy during CB

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,842 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

This thread got excessively scatological.

It perfectly sums it up if you go out there thinking you can tank in a Cruiser with the firepower present in today's game.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,735 posts
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It perfectly sums it up if you go out there thinking you can tank in a Cruiser with the firepower present in today's game.

Ok. 

[UN1]
Members
1,215 posts
3,652 battles

Only some, (ie, not all) of the super cruisers would be considered tanky for a "cruiser": Alaska, Puerto Rico, Stalingrad, Moskva, maybe Agir/Siegfried if you position yourself well. 

Cruisers just don't have the staying power of a battleship, even super heavy ones. 

[APES]
Members
991 posts
6,315 battles

Used to be the Italian CA line. Now I think it would be the Russian alt line with Tallinn, Riga, and Petropavlovsk.

[WOLFG]
Members
545 posts
12,633 battles

Forget a tanky cruiser. Go up the Italian line and once you get up to Brindisi and Venezia, you can just avoid incoming rounds by dodging them when you have double rudder upgrades, lol.

Plus the SAP shells can punish even BBs. Have gone up BBs im my Venezia, sinking them, without them hitting me once because I was able to dodge their shells. Didn't even need to use smoke.

Downside is, getting to the high tiers can be a bit frustrating because the lower tiers aren't anywhere near as good as the top tiers.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,735 posts

Is the OP's question "what cruiser tanks like a battleship?" or "which cruisers can take more of a beating?"

The answer to the first one is "probably none, sorry".

But the answer to the second one is not "they're all made of wet sack, don't bother".  There are clearly cruisers that are tougher than others.  Sorry, but I'm going to have a good laugh at anyone who claims that there's no difference in toughness between different cruisers, and I'll laugh even more at anyone who gets belligerent about it.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

"Tanky cruiser" is an oxymoron, lol.

However, the US heavy cruisers seem to be bouncier than most bow-on.  And they don't seem to take quite as much hurt as others when citted, though it still hurts nonetheless.  The aptly named Buffalo is particularly tough at certain angles.

On the other hand, DM is as delicate as a flower petal.