You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mustangrde1

Who says dd play is dead

30 comments in this topic

Members
477 posts
8,135 battles
1 minute ago, Mustangrde1 said:

image.thumb.png.7eb054b361486faee8182fbc12daae51.png

RNG smiles on the dd who watches the bible he puts at the bottom right corner of the screen

I have good games still, but by and large...it’s awful for DD’s.  Let’s not forget you are playing THE current meta DD.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
10,635 posts
18,550 battles

GJ in that game... Maybe not all DD play is dead, just some DD play is dead...

Overall nice work

• Thanks 1

[CLUMP]
Members
821 posts
1,168 battles
7 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

RNG smiles on the dd who watches the bible he puts at the bottom right corner of the screen

Nice game :Smile_honoring:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles

Nice game and it never was dead except for the people that refused to change how they played DD's with the CV rework and got smacked down by CV's.

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 4

[RKLES]
Members
807 posts

You picked on of the few DD's that have and good AA and long range torps.

Both needed to be successful in current meta.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Nice game and it never was dead except for the people that refused to change how they played DD's with the CV rework and got smacked down by CV's.

Exactly like thanks to someone giving me the generous gift of Harekaze a while back I was able to move from using Kagero which I had been pushing to it’s limits over to Harekaze which had room for me to adapt with including the 3x2 dual purpose IJN 100mm guns. And has allowed me to continue using the torpedo reload booster play style. And this is just 1 example of adaption for DDs. Other example are equipping all DDs with BFT skill and AA flags. Like my Shimakaze actually intercepted some torpedo bombers before they could reach an allied BB, something not expected by most, but something I adapted to do.

And from my experience most DDs if they turn their AA off and on at the right moments can either avoid or fend off air attacks if the have upgrades on their captain / ship. Or if not they can still hide in their smoke unless they are a smokeless DD, but even then they can still div with a smoke DD to have smoke to hide in.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Thanks 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles
28 minutes ago, Learux said:

You picked on of the few DD's that have and good AA and long range torps.

Both needed to be successful in current meta.

Even without great AA a DD can do well by going where the CV('s) are not operating which requires waiting for a bit before taking off and then watching the mini map for changes in their operation patterns.

2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Exactly like thanks to someone giving me the generous gift of Harekaze a while back I was able to move from using Kagero which I had been pushing to it’s limits over to Harekaze which had room for me to adapt with including the 3x2 dual purpose IJN 100mm guns. And has allowed me to continue using the torpedo reload booster play style. And this is just 1 example of adaption for DDs. Other example are equipping all DDs with BFT skill and AA flags. Like my Shimakaze actually intercepted some torpedo bombers before they could reach an allied BB, something not expected by most, but something I adapted to do.

And from my experience most DDs if they turn their AA off and on at the right moments can either avoid or fend off air attacks if the have upgrades on their captain / ship. Or if not they can still hide in their smoke unless they are a smokeless DD, but even then they can still dive with a smoke DD to have smoke to hide in.

Yep.

• Thanks 2

[--O--]
Members
931 posts
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

You have read my post enough to know, I never said it was dead, heck even said it and how to play and the top 5 to play earlier today.

I find most people who complain its dead simply wont do as you said in your second post and watch the mini-map, I swear I have thought about changing my name to Pastor Mini-map the way I PREACH people to use it.  But I think most people just wont be patient and let the game develop and instead charge  in to die...

• Cool 2

[UN1]
Members
1,215 posts
3,652 battles

As long as you watch the minimap and pay attention to where the CV is focusing his attention, you'll do just fine in a DD.

• Boring 2

[RKLES]
Members
807 posts
22 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Even without great AA a DD can do well by going where the CV('s) are not operating which requires waiting for a bit before taking off and then watching the mini map for changes in their operation patterns.

Yep.

Key word "can". If you have a competent CV driver and a bunch of 12 Km radars. It is very hard to do well in a DD with bad AA  and short range torps.

No amount of looking at the mini map is going to get you a lot of points.

Just another typical WG forum reaction, gets old after a while.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles
2 minutes ago, Learux said:

Key word "can". If you have a competent CV driver and a bunch of 12 Km radars. It is very hard to do well in a DD with bad AA  and short range torps.

No amount of looking at the mini map is going to get you a lot of points.

Just another typical WG forum reaction, gets old after a while.

If you are against a unicum CV player it always was a struggle if they took a fancy to you. Will you always have great matches if you do these things? Of course not but you will do far better than if you don't.

Looking at the mini map will let you know where the planes are along with spotted enemy ships.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
2 hours ago, Mustangrde1 said:

Outstanding match.  Congratulations.

Definitely the exception, though.  Not the norm.  However DDs do seem to be making a bit of a comeback.  Don't see as many CVs as before.  Except low tier; still seeing unusually well-played double-CV teams every match there unfortunately...

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,358 posts
20,047 battles

I didn't see any airplane kills on that post

So yeah DD play is great without them 

• Cool 3

[PHD]
Members
1,511 posts
6,444 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

And from my experience most DDs if they turn their AA off and on at the right moments can either avoid or fend off air attacks if the have upgrades on their captain / ship. Or if not they can still hide in their smoke unless they are a smokeless DD, but even then they can still div with a smoke DD to have smoke to hide in.

I really like the Harakaze too. Though I use smoke as I tend to get reckless in PvE and smoke helps. 

Bot CVs are not the problem that I expect humans are as long as you don't go straight too long. But the planes can be very annoying especially with a DD with weak AA.

Torp hits can be iffy at longer ranges. Bots most of the time seem to be coming at you.

[ARMCO]
Members
20 posts
1,154 battles

You can certainly adjust I suppose. But I've been getting alot of grief from cruisers and BB players for not being 'aggressive' enough. The games I played earlier were downright toxic towards DDs, despite trying to adjust to a new meta. In time.. maybe we'll all get used to playing things a tad bit different.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,591 posts
2,429 battles
4 hours ago, Mustangrde1 said:

No airplane kills?  So, there were no Fun Police in the match?

DD play isn't dead, it's just incredibly bloody difficult.

[INTEL]
Members
13,056 posts
36,014 battles
4 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Haha. Still at it with the silly rationalizations of the current crappy meta.

Nobody ever said DD play was dead. We just pointed out that it had become unfun and stupid.

[--O--]
Members
931 posts
1 hour ago, Velora_Hunter said:

You can certainly adjust I suppose. But I've been getting alot of grief from cruisers and BB players for not being 'aggressive' enough. The games I played earlier were downright toxic towards DDs, despite trying to adjust to a new meta. In time.. maybe we'll all get used to playing things a tad bit different.

I learned a long time ago to not let people force me off my game, that is when things go bad fast. I guess the simple answer is maybe the BB's and Cruisers should be more aggression, ever notice the ones doing it seem to be furthest back on the map or hiding most behind a rock.

[O2]
Members
228 posts
6 hours ago, Mustangrde1 said:

Pretty fantastic game. And symbolically you're sunk ...by a DD. DD's still work, but not for me. I tend to rush to cap at start of game and get deleted in 2 min. If I don't..well them my team frys me saying that I am a noob for not capping. So...

Edited by Toxygene
  • Thanks 1

[ASHIP]
[ASHIP]
Members
3 posts
11,571 battles

lol I was an enemy yammy in this game I think. 

it was long and drawn out.  I think you got away with 77 HP from one of my last volleys and the groz followed up about a minute later.

gg 

• Thanks 1

[A-I-M]
Members
3,013 posts
22,064 battles
7 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

5 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

These adjustments are especially effective in a game where there is no CV.