You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
custer_14

Alaska vs Kron

23 comments in this topic

[FFG33]
[FFG33]
Members
336 posts
13,584 battles

I got the Kron way back before she disappeared from sale for the 750k FXP. I have held off on getting the Alaska since I was not sure what to else the Alaska would offer play wise that the Kron lacked. I still have radar, heals and Kron has better ballistics.

So thought I might ask the community. What does the Alaska offer that Kron does not have in terms of play? 

Members
4,355 posts
11,269 battles

Kron: Longer radar range, better ballistics, much more susceptible to HE spam and large caliber AP, exposed citadel, and battleship dispersion. Captain requirements match those for Moskva and Stalingrad,

Alaska: US 10km radar, floatier shells but you have USN AP (super heavy AP, improved pen angles), tankier to incoming fire, waterline citadel, and battlecruiser dispersion. A normal BB or DM captain can work in a pinch, but ideally needs its own captain (that can only be shared optimally with PR). 

Bottom line, unless you hate all American ships and refuse to play them, get Alaska. And even if you do, you should still get it. Kron has better ballistics and longer range radar, but the guns are definitely less reliable and consistent, and many ships (especially HE spammers) would probably prefer to see a Kron on the enemy team than an Alaska. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,139 posts
18,987 battles

Alaska brings more utility to the team, IMO it's the better ship.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,058 posts
23,842 battles

The two biggest things Alaska has over Kronsthadt:

1.  Much more forgiving Citadel protection.  Kronshtadt is pretty tough when angled.  But the failure in her protection scheme is when someone can shoot her sides, it collapses quickly from such AP attacks.  Alaska's Citadel is so notorious to find at times that people have made many threads asking where should they aim to get her Citadel.  Alaska's Citadel protection actually gets better the closer in range she is.

2.  Consistent Gunnery.  Kronshtadt's biggest issue to me is how her RNG can really screw her dispersion at times.  The shell velocity, shell flight arcs, AP penetration are top notch.  It's very easy to lead targets at range.  But what's frustrating is her wonky dispersion.  Alaska's gunnery is simply more consistent.  Yes, her AP shells have the special bounce angles like USN CAs do.  But Alaska's shot groups just don't go awry like Kronshtadt's will sometimes.

Members
5,160 posts
60 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

1.  Much more forgiving Citadel protection.  Kronshtadt is pretty tough when angled.  But the failure in her protection scheme is when someone can shoot her sides, it collapses quickly from such AP attacks.  Alaska's Citadel is so notorious to find at times that people have made many threads asking where should they aim to get her Citadel.  Alaska's Citadel protection actually gets better the closer in range she is.

2.  Consistent Gunnery.  Kronshtadt's biggest issue to me is how her RNG can really screw her dispersion at times.  The shell velocity, shell flight arcs, AP penetration are top notch.  It's very easy to lead targets at range.  But what's frustrating is her wonky dispersion.  Alaska's gunnery is simply more consistent.  Yes, her AP shells have the special bounce angles like USN CAs do.  But Alaska's shot groups just don't go awry like Kronshtadt's will sometimes.

I wonder if the same can be said for Puerto Rico?

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
12 hours ago, Lert said:

Unless you already have the Missouri like I do in which case you can considering passing on the Alaska which is very similar in role and abilities to the Missouri, except that Alaska falls a little short of Missouri.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,058 posts
23,842 battles
On 6/13/2020 at 1:42 AM, Xero_Snake said:

I wonder if the same can be said for Puerto Rico?

I remember hearing that she doesn't have AK's accuracy, but I don't have Puerto Rico so I can't confirm myself.  What I will say is that Alaska is way better in Tier IX than Puerto Rico is at Tier X.  Tier X is harsh.  The pattern even repeated itself prior to those 2 ships with Azuma in Tier IX and Yoshino in Tier X.  Yoshino is a better ship than Azuma, yet for her tier, Yoshino isn't doing as well.  Meanwhile Azuma in Tier IX is doing swimmingly well, just like Alaska and Kronshtadt.  Again, Tier X is a harsh place.  That's the world of Daring, Shimakaze, Harugumo, Des Moines, Hindenburg, Thunderer, Kremlin, Yamato, Republique, etc.

RU Server 1st Quarter 2020 stats.  Pulled RU Server numbers because they're the largest population out of the four (in this order, highest to lowest: RU > EU > NA > Asia Server).  We get a better sample size for averages because of the mass of players that are there.

IX Azuma 52.94% WR / 73,650 Dmg Avg

X Yoshino 48.19% WR / 68,694 Dmg Avg - Yoshino has better armor and has long range torps. Azuma has zero torps.

IX Alaska 54.62% / 65,589

X Puerto Rico 50.53% / 65,965

IX Kronshtadt 56.74% / 66,277

I won't put X Stalingrad because her numbers are highly skewed by the experienced players that mostly own her.  For a long time only hardcore Ranked / Clan Battle players had her.  I did put in Kron's numbers because I was curious to see how she stacked up compared to the other Tier IX Super Cruisers.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[META_]
Members
1,230 posts
16,073 battles

I don't totally disagree with most in this debate, my winrate is higher in my Alaska, lol.... But a few things to consider, first which forum are you in? 🇺🇸, so maybe a slight bias, not aot but maybe a little.... So playing 👿 advocate here... Kronshtadt has 71,050 health Alaska only 60,800 HUGE difference.. Kronny wins this one by ALOT. Radars 12km vs 10km yes Alaska longer duration Kronny longer range.... Wash... Alaska has big advantage in AA. Bottom line kronshtadt has better winrate general server on EU but Alaska has a point 2 advantage in winrate at the top 5% of players.... They are both GREAT ships... Anyone saying one is much better is misinformed, just different. 

[META_]
Members
1,230 posts
16,073 battles
On 6/13/2020 at 3:02 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Don't forget the health difference... 

[CVA16]
Members
5,391 posts
16,202 battles
On 6/12/2020 at 4:26 PM, Xero_Snake said:

This should be Alaska vs Kronshtadt vs Azuma vs Aegir now

Good question. I have 1 million FXP burning a hole in my pocket. I get it too slow to contemplate saving up the 2 million for a T10 ship.

I have the Alaska. Kron is no longer available.  My choices seem to be Agir or Azuma (or Friesland, or even Nelson if i want to save some FXP)

[CVA16]
Members
5,391 posts
16,202 battles
54 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

Don't forget the health difference... 

Haze was just posting the biggest advantages of Alaska over Kron, not what Kron has over Alaska.

[META_]
Members
1,230 posts
16,073 battles
43 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Haze was just posting the biggest advantages of Alaska over Kron, not what Kron has over Alaska.

I agree that is what he was saying, I wasn't complaining at all. I agree with most his opinions in the forums. Just pointing out other things to think about..... No disrespect at all.. I am  here to enjoy and get better not down play captains

Edited by Meta_Man
  • Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,391 posts
16,202 battles
On 6/12/2020 at 1:23 PM, Lert said:

Just wondering what you base this "more utility" on. To me it seems they bring similar but different utility to the team (i.e. range vs duration radar). How does Alaska help the team more than Kron? AA?

Not saying  you are wrong, just curious.

Of course I like to hear Alaska is better because I have one and will likely never get the Kron.:Smile_trollface:

Members
707 posts
5,735 battles

Alaska is a much more well-rounded ship IMO.  The AP with the SHS and improved angles hits hard and she has much better HE performance than Kron.  Dispersion is more consistent with Alaska as well, and Alaska's consumables suite is more team-friendly IMO.  Kron has ridiculous AP penetration (better than Stalingrad IIRC) and can citadel BBs fairly reliably out to around 15km.  Kron I believe has thinner plating than Alaska over the bow and stern and is susceptible to overmatch from a wider range of enemies, and has a fairly weak transverse bulkhead so can be citadeled rather easily through the nose even when angled. 

Puerto Rico gets BB dispersion rather than the improved dispersion Alaska gets.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,139 posts
18,987 battles
15 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Just wondering what you base this "more utility" on. To me it seems they bring similar but different utility to the team (i.e. range vs duration radar). How does Alaska help the team more than Kron? AA?

• AA, though the function and importance of that has been diminished a lot of late.
  • Longer duration radar helps the team more, by giving them more time to bring weapons to bear
  • Better survivability
  • More accurate
  • Better HE
  • Improved pen angles on SHS AP
  • Shorter rudder shift

IMO the combination of factors just makes Alaska a better team player than Kronshtadt in my opinion. It can get closer to support the team better.

Edited by Lert

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
644 posts
12,068 battles
On 6/12/2020 at 12:18 PM, custer_14 said:

I got the Kron way back before she disappeared from sale for the 750k FXP. I have held off on getting the Alaska since I was not sure what to else the Alaska would offer play wise that the Kron lacked. I still have radar, heals and Kron has better ballistics.

So thought I might ask the community. What does the Alaska offer that Kron does not have in terms of play? 

Better gun handling.  The kron has some issue with landing shots, and it Ap has hard time with angles.  

[-OS-]
Members
67 posts
9,521 battles
On 7/15/2020 at 2:05 PM, Lert said:
  • AA, though the function and importance of that has been diminished a lot of late.
  • Longer duration radar helps the team more, by giving them more time to bring weapons to bear
  • Better survivability
  • More accurate
  • Better HE
  • Shorter rudder shift

IMO the combination of factors just makes Alaska a better team player than Kronshtadt in my opinion. It can get closer to support the team better.

Something else that's very important. Alaska can slot hydro whereas Kronshtadt cannot.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,139 posts
18,987 battles
1 minute ago, MitoUchiha said:

Something else that's very important. Alaska can slot hydro whereas Kronshtadt cannot.

Very true.

[APES]
Members
990 posts
6,314 battles
  • Better survivability
  • More accurate
  • Better HE
  • Shorter rudder shift

I find Alaska to be the better teamplayer for similar reasons. She is basically a light battleship with a (longer duration) radar. This makes her extremely capable at contesting caps, while most peers have to sail away from enemy destroyers.

Like HazeGrayUnderway has pointed out, my biggest problem with Kronshtadt's citadel is that it's way above waterline. This, combined with the clumsy handling, makes positioning of the Kron unforgiving. Kron doesn't like chaotic brawls to contest a cap.

Being a battleship player myself, I also find the classical positioning exercise works well with Alaska and more. She has both radar and hydro, so I can freely charge into treacherous waters with enemy DDs (unlike with most peers):

[GOCRY]
Members
406 posts
  • Better survivability
  • More accurate
  • Better HE
  • Shorter rudder shift

I don’t think I’ve ever seen “shorter rudder shift” described as a “team-player” attribute before!  :Smile_teethhappy:

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,139 posts
18,987 battles
1 hour ago, SeaGladius said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen “shorter rudder shift” described as a “team-player” attribute before!  :Smile_teethhappy:

Means you can afford to get closer and still have the agility to throw off torpedoes and the like.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,678 posts
7,483 battles

Improved pen angles on SHS AP

Should note, the fact that it's an SHS doesn't mean anything for this. Kron's damage per shell is still higher, it's just the pen angles (which WG gives to ships without SHS as well) that she has over Kron there.

That said, Kron has more raw power than Alaska, but it's not as easy to apply thanks to her glaring holes in capability and accuracy. But the BB accuracy is also what keeps her from being straight up OP (rather than making her bad),  you can cit BBs with the floatplane fighter up due to Kron's brutal pen. I guess in the age of Slava and Champagne that doesn't seem as bad, but you're doing it with a cruiser slot rather than a BB's.

But it really feels crappy when some CV decides to focus you in Kron. In Alaska you can at least make him suffer more to kill you.

I play Kron straight up as a fast non-overmatch BB with a bad nose (easy to do if you played lots of t6 and t7) and mediocre side armor, cause she has the penetrative power and also less utility which is closer to what BBs usually are and do. Alaska I play more like a big CA, since she brings more utility into matches. It's actually been harder for me to do well with Alaska, cause let's face it, the BB playstyle is pretty cut and dry.