Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
raptorcj

When do we get our scenarios back?

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3
[FLNVY]
Members
3 posts
16,262 battles

So I completely understand that the dev's are prioritizing other elements of the game like the recent extensive interface changes and the dockyard, etc. You can't please every gamer, so really, I get that. But those of us who love to get away from the chippiness of randoms & ranked to relax a little more with PVE scenarios are dying for a little more variety. They give you more challenge than Coop and a feeling of team accomplishment when the mission is complete...especially getting 5 stars. WoW has been cycling the same 5 scenarios (was 4 before the recent reintroduction of Narai) ever since the introduction of the first-person CV changes. Been a long time since we've seen Cherry Blossom, Dunkirk, and the other T7 island scenario (edit: ultimate frontier).

There's a subset of the player community that really loves to play scenarios, so does anyone have info on when we'll get the old scenarios back, or if we'll get any new ones?

btw, kill or relax Newport, just sayin--even good players get powned if they don't stop the 3rd wave.

Edited by raptorcj
update
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,304 posts
26,945 battles

Remember that old commercial line ?                            Any day now ……………………………………….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,678
[SALVO]
Members
26,305 posts
30,300 battles
1 hour ago, raptorcj said:

So I completely understand that the dev's are prioritizing other elements of the game like the recent extensive interface changes and the dockyard, etc. You can't please every gamer, so really, I get that. But those of us who love to get away from the chippiness of randoms & ranked to relax a little more with PVE scenarios are dying for a little more variety. They give you more challenge than Coop and a feeling of team accomplishment when the mission is complete...especially getting 5 stars. WoW has been cycling the same 5 scenarios (was 4 before the recent reintroduction of Narai) ever since the introduction of the first-person CV changes. Been a long time since we've seen Cherry Blossom, Dunkirk, and the other T7 island scenario (edit: ultimate frontier).

There's a subset of the player community that really loves to play scenarios, so does anyone have info on when we'll get the old scenarios back, or if we'll get any new ones?

btw, kill or relax Newport, just sayin--even good players get powned if they don't stop the 3rd wave.

1. When heII freezes over, most likely.

2. The reason that Newport Station is so difficult is because far too many players continue to attack the incoming enemy bot ships head on, rather than looking for flanking shots.  And because too many only attack the bots head on, it takes a lot longer to get enough hits to do enough damage to sink those enemy ships, thus meaning that the defending player team often gets overrun.  

The key to winning Newport Station is killing the enemy ships FASTER by seeking out flanking shots.  But also don't get too far from the inner harbor, because that will put you out of position if the next wave attacks on the other side of the harbor.  And then you're screwed.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,778
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,872 posts
25,982 battles
5 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Answer from the devs

tenor.gif

It's actually been worse than nothing.  Some of the ops are behaving weirdly but worst of all, WG gutted rewards.

 

The state of Operations was better in 2018 than it is today in 2020 despite the expansion of the game.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,778
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,872 posts
25,982 battles
1 hour ago, Rustyhole said:

Welcome to the dark ages of operations, and its only going to get worse.  

Yes.  It takes a lot of work to make an Operation compared to a map used only for PVP.

 

An Ops map, you have to have ship placement, scripting, and design accounting for player actions and sensible mission progression.

 

A PVP map, just put the spawn points, throw down 2-4 cap points, and let the players farm each other for content.

Done.

 

This is why PVE is being thrown under the bus, it actually requires more work.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[FLNVY]
Members
3 posts
16,262 battles
5 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yes.  It takes a lot of work to make an Operation compared to a map used only for PVP.

An Ops map, you have to have ship placement, scripting, and design accounting for player actions and sensible mission progression.

A PVP map, just put the spawn points, throw down 2-4 cap points, and let the players farm each other for content.

Done.

This is why PVE is being thrown under the bus, it actually requires more work.

This argument holds water (yes pun intended).

That's really the most rational answer for "why", but it still doesn't taste good waiting...and waiting.

If Narai hadn't come back, honestly I'd be thinking scenarios are heading towards a phase-out, but it really is one of my reasons for loving the game. If it went away, I'd be that much closer to letting it go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20
[-OPS-]
[-OPS-]
Members
97 posts

I would wager that if players on RU server were playing them, WG would put a lot more effort into them...there were a LOT more players on RU last time I saw comparative server stats..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,453
[CVA16]
Members
6,438 posts
20,003 battles

We're not getting them back and will probably lose the ones we have when they get too glitchy to play and WG pulls them out of rotation for repairs/updates. Those repairs will have a priority just below creating the Swiss Navy tech tree.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,630
[PVE]
Members
8,500 posts
24,587 battles
On 6/13/2020 at 2:10 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

This is why PVE  -(I know you know this & it was just a brainfart...especially after explaining all the details so perfectly...just scenarios...regular PVE used same maps as random) is being thrown under the bus, it actually requires more work.

But they're not "under the bus" permanently...

 

On 6/15/2020 at 6:54 AM, Sabot_100 said:

We're not getting them back and will probably lose the ones we have when they get too glitchy to play and WG pulls them out of rotation for repairs/updates. Those repairs will have a priority just below creating the Swiss Navy tech tree.

We are getting them back...they clarified it a looooong time ago (shortly after subs got introduced in the Halloween mode & the announcement they were going to be working on them back in the day) that after they were done w/subs (for better or for worse) they WOULD be bringing back the old scenarios.

All those map makers that are needed to "rework (after the rebork)" the scenario maps are presently working on making under water levels on ALL the random maps (& ranked/CB/PVE maps) for the introduction of subs (Haze...your explanation of the maps just made me realize exactly what aspect of subs those devs were working on that were keeping them from being able to work on the scenarios).

But they did clarify all the Ops would be returning & until the subs are released in random (or announced they won't be coming to random after all...#breathnotheld) they haven't officially gone back on their word...& I don't expect them to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,453
[CVA16]
Members
6,438 posts
20,003 battles
55 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

We are getting them back...they clarified it a looooong time ago (shortly after subs got introduced in the Halloween mode & the announcement they were going to be working on them back in the day) that after they were done w/subs (for better or for worse) they WOULD be bringing back the old scenarios.

Could be, but I have the feeling that scenarios will perpetually fall to the bottom of the priority stack whenever anything else surfaces. And there are always fires to put out, new lines to add, new ports and grinds to design.... It may be on their "to-do" list but there is always something higher on that list that will claim the programmer resources.  As has been often mentioned, scenarios do not make WG money and time/resources will first be spent on those things that make money or prevent loss of money. Someone would have to convince WG that the lack of scenarios is causing paying players to leave. Then the scenario rework effort might rise above the "when-workload-permits" status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,630
[PVE]
Members
8,500 posts
24,587 battles
23 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Could be, but I have the feeling that scenarios will perpetually fall to the bottom of the priority stack whenever anything else surfaces. And there are always fires to put out, new lines to add, new ports and grinds to design.... It may be on their "to-do" list but there is always something higher on that list that will claim the programmer resources.  As has been often mentioned, scenarios do not make WG money and time/resources will first be spent on those things that make money or prevent loss of money. Someone would have to convince WG that the lack of scenarios is causing paying players to leave. Then the scenario rework effort might rise above the "when-workload-permits" status.

But as of now the subs are still being worked on...& all of the scenarios don't only need to be reworked just for CVs (players as well as the bots) but also for the inclusion of sub players when/if...my bets are on when...they get introduced.

I'm sure you can see that needing to rework a of the maps to accommodate underwater gameplay (whether you are for or against subs) is going to require a lot of work & the devs don't have a lot of time to spend on scenarios on account of it.

It was a long time ago they said it but after the whole sub situation gets "balanced" (hate to derail this thread w/a "To sub or not to sub" debate...but that is the answer to this thread's question...after subs are done being tested) for better or for worse...is when scenarios will be addressed.

They may be quite different from what they were originally but the will be returning...& there really is a large enough percent of the player base (that buy premiums/premium account time/signals/perma camos/etc...just for scenarios) interested in them so I do believe they will be addressed when the subs are finalized.

Unfortunately due to the amount of work the maps will take to finalize subs my "SOON™" from earlier post may not be as SOON™ as many would like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,453
[CVA16]
Members
6,438 posts
20,003 battles
7 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I'm sure you can see that needing to rework a of the maps to accommodate underwater gameplay (whether you are for or against subs) is going to require a lot of work & the devs don't have a lot of time to spend on scenarios on account of it.

If they are going to hold up reworking scenarios until subs can be added. We might as well abandon all hope of ever seeing them again. Those aren't minor changes like making the old planes match the rework CV planes, changing a spawn point, changing a red ship (back) to a CV. They would have to do a complete underwater rework for each unique map. Rebalance everything everything to make subs work but not be OP. Project would probably have a priority right below turning out the lights when they decide its time to close up shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,778
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,872 posts
25,982 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

If they are going to hold up reworking scenarios until subs can be added. We might as well abandon all hope of ever seeing them again. Those aren't minor changes like making the old planes match the rework CV planes, changing a spawn point, changing a red ship (back) to a CV. They would have to do a complete underwater rework for each unique map. Rebalance everything everything to make subs work but not be OP. Project would probably have a priority right below turning out the lights when they decide its time to close up shop.

Watching and playing subs in Submarine Battles, they would be a horrible liability in Operations.  They suck bad and go through significantly long duration of doing absolutely nothing to get off highly inaccurate attacks.

 

They're slow, handle like sh*t, got no range, and their one type of attack, torpedoes, of course have a long reload.

Even the vaunted Homing Torp system that a lot of sideline spectators on the forums complain about is unreliable.

Even a DD can smoke up and use guns while torpedoes are on reload.  Not subs, they have nothing else.

 

They suck bad.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,630
[PVE]
Members
8,500 posts
24,587 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

If they are going to hold up reworking scenarios until subs can be added. We might as well abandon all hope of ever seeing them again. Those aren't minor changes like making the old planes match the rework CV planes, changing a spawn point, changing a red ship (back) to a CV. They would have to do a complete underwater rework for each unique map. Rebalance everything to make subs work but not be OP. Project would probably have a priority right below turning out the lights when they decide its time to close up shop.

Working the maps & balancing the mechanics are 2 different aspects & don't require the same dev teams.

The balancing can be done w/just the 2 maps they have been using. More maps can be introduced in the separate mode as they are available to test them out but mechanic balancing testing doesn't require any new maps.

IOW they don't need to rework the maps after each phase of testing...just add the underwater levels to them.

It's probably gonna be a few months minimum & probably closer to 5-6 months to get it all worked out (guessing of course)...but once the maps are finished being configured odds are they won't require mechanics testing to be finished for the map devs to start working on the OPs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,630
[PVE]
Members
8,500 posts
24,587 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Watching and playing subs in Submarine Battles, they would be a horrible liability in Operations.  They suck bad and go through significantly long duration of doing absolutely nothing to get off highly inaccurate attacks.

 

They're slow, handle like sh*t, got no range, and their one type of attack, torpedoes, of course have a long reload.

Even the vaunted Homing Torp system that a lot of sideline spectators on the forums complain about is unreliable.

Even a DD can smoke up and use guns while torpedoes are on reload.  Not subs, they have nothing else.

 

They suck bad.

Only the 1st round of open testing...lots of time (w/an unlimited separate mode to test them in) to work out the details.

If they do include them into Ops it will be a good sign for random as they aren't going to leave bots defenseless against subs so new mechanics for all ship types will need to be introduced to be able to combat subs in a 1 vs 1 scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,453
[CVA16]
Members
6,438 posts
20,003 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Watching and playing subs in Submarine Battles, they would be a horrible liability in Operations.  They suck bad and go through significantly long duration of doing absolutely nothing to get off highly inaccurate attacks.

Whether they are good or not, you know people will bring them. People bring DDs with no clue how to use them all the time. And usually die early. DDs need high skill to make work unless your plan is for the team to carry you. Subs will be the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×