You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mister_Tanman

Should WG Rein In Players Like This?

70 comments in this topic

[FT]
Members
269 posts
11,138 battles

The last time I posted a stat sheet, everyone went crazy hate because they said I was criticizing a particular player. Both that time and this, I removed any identifying information. Posting this picture is no different than if I just typed them out myself.  So simmer down. :)

I was in a match with this person twice in a row. One time I was on his team, the second time I sunk him. Both times he just putted around for a few minutes, and then yoloed to his death. From the stat board below, it is obvious they do this over and over. He is not a bot because he is in a guild. Is he just grinding oil? Doing the math, if they have been playing for 5 years, than to reach this number of games , they would need to play 18 games everyday. I know it is a free game, but my thoughts are that this player is a cancer, and should be banished to COOPs. Thoughts?

image.thumb.png.ef1d650ed1650cffde92b3c9c1d3af76.png

Edited by Mister_Tanman
  • Cool 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 24

[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
19,269 battles

He is just your average bad player or he shares his account with family and they play really poorly.   He has had some pretty big wins 268k damage in a single game, spotted 172k damage and tanked 3.38 million.  It sucks when you get stuck with a team full of these guys, and the other team is full of clan divs - but that is the nature of the beast.  Hopefully he has dumped a ton of money into premium ships and is supporting the game for the rest of us.

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 3

[BUOY]
Members
1,348 posts
16,903 battles

People like this are an argument for skill based MM (for both your sake and his), but nothing more than that IMO.

Edited by lloyd1701
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts

He probably should be banished to randoms - it is more punishment.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 1

[HELLS]
Members
2,849 posts
31,628 battles

Even programmed bots placed in the game by players who should be banned have stats. Looks like a grandpa whoese grandkids are playing on gramp's computer to me.. (says another grandpa!). Not much yu can do about that. My grandkids don't play this game on my machine because their German dad is a pacifist and disapproves of any violent computer games.When they visit the game is masked by removing Game Center from the desktop.

• Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
1,510 posts

These rants never consider extenuating circumstances.
I've learned from watching and talking to some of these players that sometimes
the problem is a bad internet connection, or a trash PC that can barely play the thing.
They shouldn't be denied access to having what fun they can.

And as stated above, you can't have good players if you don't have bad players.
Skill based MM would solve all those problems.

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
12,668 posts
11,787 battles
11 minutes ago, Mister_Tanman said:

He is not a bot because he is in a guild. 

Being in a guild is not a guarantee he is not botting.

[KWF]
Members
6,397 posts
7,154 battles

All kinds of active players, be they good or bad, are useful in the game's population. As long as he is not a bot or griefer this type of player is perfectly welcome in my books. At one time he will be on your team, another he will be feeding you damage on the red team.

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Members
1,505 posts
11,131 battles
30 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

If you remove players like that, someone else becomes the "worst" player on each of those teams.  

Exactly! It is an exercise in statistics that within a given group of players there will be more or less bell-shaped curve of performance. If you then remove the lower "tail" the remaining distribution then shifts back into a "new" bell curve and you have the same distribution of new "poor" players. You could do this endlessly until you arguably ended up with just two players.....

Edited by DJC_499
  • Cool 4

[NGA-A]
Members
1,285 posts
7,481 battles
15 minutes ago, Mister_Tanman said:

The last time I posted a stat sheet, everyone went crazy hate because they said I was criticizing a particular player. Both that time and this, I removed any identifying information. Posting this picture is no different than if I just typed them out myself.  So simmer down. :)

I was in a match with this person twice in a row. One time I was on his team, the second time I sunk him. Both times he just putted around for a few minutes, and then yoloed to his death. From the stat board below, it is obvious they do this over and over. He is not a bot because he is in a guild. Is he just grinding oil? Doing the math, if they have been playing for 5 years, than to reach this number of games , they would need to play 18 games everyday. I know it is a free game, but my thoughts are that this player is a cancer, and should be banished to COOPs. Thoughts?

image.thumb.png.ef1d650ed1650cffde92b3c9c1d3af76.png

So basically in your elitist mind, only players that you approve of should be allowed to play the game they way they want to play it?  That mentality is just pure toxic.  What truly gives you the right to decide who plays what mode and who doesn't?

• Cool 5
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[-1]
Members
814 posts
11,828 battles

I'd bet it's shared account. When dad plays he can get some good games, but when his kids take over they contribute to 44 wr heavily.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
24,478 posts
18,475 battles

Once upon a time, I used to run into a guy in co-op who was equal parts troll and griefer with a side order of jerk. The last couple of times I met him, he'd turned into a decent and useful player. After that, I'm wary of confining anyone to co-op.

[-A-8-]
Members
572 posts
22,935 battles

The thing is where do you draw the line? What if all of the 60% WR players decided those of us sub 60% should be banished?

The reality is for a game to have above average players there must be below average ones. 

As for the argument for skill based MM, all that really does is make everyone a 50% WR player while building in more and more complexity to the MM while potentially preventing friends from divisioning together.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
15,672 battles
34 minutes ago, wildgooseman said:

The thing is where do you draw the line? What if all of the 60% WR players decided those of us sub 60% should be banished?

The reality is for a game to have above average players there must be below average ones. 

As for the argument for skill based MM, all that really does is make everyone a 50% WR player while building in more and more complexity to the MM while potentially preventing friends from divisioning together.

^^^THIS^^^

The entire reason we DO NOT want skill based MM is:

A: What metric do you use to measure skill? I can list A LOT of things that could make you be categorized as "good"

B: You HAVE to have all skill levels playing together in order to make a game challenging

C: People learn how to play better or just become food... this is how gaming works. Not all games have skill based MM and in fact not as many as you think actually DO have it.

D: Not everyone plays this game to be a Unicum.... this is why there are competitive leagues and such.

-Hapa

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,804 posts
21,723 battles

I think WG should reign in and cripple players who honestly believe they have more of a right to play this game than someone less gifted at the game.

• Cool 11
  • Funny 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1

[P-V-E]
Members
1,658 posts

I have an acquaintance who likes river fishing, he was ok at it to, he was then one day hit from behind by a car when he was on a motorbike resulting in him losing an arm above the elbow in a manner that makes prosthetics a waste of time, he is now not as good fisherman but he still enjoys fishing despite the struggles of casting out and reeling in yet alone fighting a fish with 1 arm and a short stump.

maybe this wows player has suffer some fate since they started playing that makes it much harder now to do things, but they still enjoy playing wows.

Edited by b101uk
  • Cool 3

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

If I were going to go after players, it would be for actively detrimental play in detail, not just being less-good at the game.  

That guy who YOLO-charges right at the enemy in every battle, I mean actual YOLO not "you advanced past the spawn", needs a talking-to. 

That guy who spends the entire battle huddled behind a rock or in reverse gear trying to break out the back edge of the map, needs a talking-to.  

The guy who is honestly trying and just isn't very good (yet or ever)?  Give that guy a break.  

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,320 posts
4,773 battles
27 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Let he who has not lost, cast the first shell.

I haven't lost a game in two months.  So "pew!"

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
3,508 posts
7,395 battles
16 minutes ago, b101uk said:

I have an acquaintance who likes river fishing, he was ok at it to, he was then one day hit from behind by a car when he was on a motorbike resulting in him losing an arm above the elbow in a manner that makes prosthetics a waste of time, he is now not as good fisherman but he still enjoys fishing despite the struggles of casting out and reeling in yet alone fighting a fish with 1 arm and a short stump.

maybe this wows player has suffer some fate since he started playing that makes it much harder now to do things, but they still enjoy playing wows.

Hey since we were disagreeing in the other thread.  I think I should highlight something we agree on. 

I talked to a sub 40% player once when he was looking for a clan.   He had been accused of botting on reddit but never banned by WG.  I spent quite a while chatting with him. He was 16 or so and said he had a 12 year old brother with big learning difficulties.  Since his parents had paid for some premium ships and since the kid brother loved playing the game with all the big sounds they said they had to share the account ( i think they bought more premiums for the little kid too).     So the lil brother spend his day out of school playing wows, it made him happy.  

Jingles also once highlighted a player with a very poor win rate.  An older guy with parkinsons or something like that who also said the game made him happy Or he just had one arm like your acquaintance . He just had a super hard time aiming and keeping his stuff under control. 

In any case I agree with pretty much everyone here. Low WR players should be left to play the game. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 2

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,815 posts
12,827 battles

Actually you know something.  People like this should be reeled in too.  I mean that average Exp per game is inflated with the fact they must be paying premium time.

image.thumb.png.7373caccb275c0caa18e4c98fd89f7a1.png

[GOB]
Members
2,736 posts
1 hour ago, Mister_Tanman said:

but my thoughts are that this player is a cancer, and should be banished to COOPs. Thoughts?

You had my attention ( Barely ) until this line.  This elite attitude that CO-OP is some sort of trash bin for people that are being punished has got to go.  I see more team play and less salt in Co-op than I do anywhere else. I ALSO see more ABUSE of the game there especially during objective rushes when all of my Randoms buddies flood Co-op to farm .  

BTW I play about 50 / 50 now adays with most of my Randoms where many random mains do not play anymore.. T 8 - 10.

Deal with your " Cancers "  don't try to pass them off to others.

Edited by Col_Nasty
  • Cool 8