You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Adm_Nate_Ellis937

California Release

81 comments in this topic

[AARG]
Beta Testers
1,191 posts

I have a hunch that California could be here anyday now.....the SoonTM watermark is gone in the extended tree view via ModStation. She is one ship I am interested in getting besides Odin and Agir.

[SVF]
Members
1,710 posts
2,254 battles
1 hour ago, Adm_Nate_Ellis937 said:

I have a hunch that California could be here anyday now.....the SoonTM watermark is gone in the extended tree view via ModStation. She is one ship I am interested in getting besides Odin and Agir.

I'm curious as to why.  Slowest reload at tier, slowest traverse at tier, etc.  when all similarly small-ish caliber T7 BBs have better numbers in both categories.  I once had a desire for California myself, but WG ruined her potential.

• Cool 1

Members
549 posts
57 minutes ago, Adm_Nate_Ellis937 said:

Members
2,819 posts
36,540 battles

I am sure it will get released. It still has to get passed by the committee of laughter from Devs that tried everything from giving it a speed boost to 55 knots, to 22 sec reload, and mounting wooden panels instead of torpedo protection so the Devs can call it a Woody.

The last idea almost went through to the ST, but were afraid players would actually like that one.

Make players happy again, we want our Woody!

• Haha 1

[FAE]
Members
2,609 posts
3,593 battles

if its a boring or worse Colorado, its a hard pass. 

[ARGSY]
Members
20,033 posts
14,288 battles
1 hour ago, BlailBlerg said:

It's essentially a Tier 7 New Mexico. She's the thickest, chonkiest BB I have ever seen played by any CC, and you might want to forget about trying to slip between the torpedoes. It ain't happening in this boat.

[Y0L0W]
Members
503 posts
16,607 battles

Ack. 20.5 knots is painful.

20.5 knots at T7 is a meme.

Members
197 posts
1,338 battles

Given WG's habit of naming ships after the lead of the class, why isn't this the USS Tennessee?

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,627 posts
9,465 battles
5 minutes ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

Given WG's habit of naming ships after the lead of the class, why isn't this the USS Tennessee?

WG tends to name tech tree ships after the lead ship of the class, with a few notable exceptions. For the most part, you only see lead ships as premiums that WG has no intention of ever introducing in the tech tree (i.e. Atlanta, Nelson, Alaska, etc). California is being introduced for the same reason we have Alabama and Massachusetts but not South Dakota - they are saving the lead ship for a potential future tech tree release.

• Cool 2

[GRAVE]
Members
1,267 posts
18,749 battles
8 minutes ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

It’s a premium, the lead ship might be used for a possible US BB split (same with Alabama and Mass being premium 1939 SoDaks despite 1939 SoDak not in game yet

• Cool 1

Members
590 posts
4,130 battles
40 minutes ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

No, no, again no.  Please, don't use the Tennessee at tier VII, let's just stick with the California. 

While you may be able to pull it off, the number of spuds driving them around will be :etc_swear:.   Positioning is going to be a nightmare for the average potato.  It is going to encourage full speed ahead (driving in a straight line, get your torpedoes ready) play, with little if any possibility of disengaging if things go wrong. This ship is going to have a very high skill floor, with very little room for growth unless you are very conscious of your surroundings and watch your mini-map religiously. 

The average speed at tier VII for BBs is over 27, you'll be giving away over 6.5 and that doesn't take into account the number of times you will see tier VIII and IX ships (avg now is over 29 and that's just for BBs).

So for Tier V BBs speed would be 23.9, for Tier 6 BBs 25.1, for Tier 7 BBs you get 27.2, for Tier 8 BBs 29.8 and for Tier IX BBs 29.9;  these figures are probably a little off, since I didn't include the Black ships or rare ships like the Alabama ST. 

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
384 posts
6,393 battles

If she had a 25 or 24 second reload she might be tolerable.

As it is, she's garbage tier.

• Cool 2

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,033 posts
10,089 battles
6 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

It's technically a worse Arizona.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 2

[WOLF3]
Members
27,010 posts
23,803 battles
4 hours ago, Bortt said:

Ack. 20.5 knots is painful.

20.5 knots at T7 is a meme.

Did you look up the reload of the guns? :Smile_trollface:

[Y0L0W]
Members
503 posts
16,607 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Did you look up the reload of the guns? :Smile_trollface:

Yeah. 34s

If you're in a Musashi and you run into a California, do you play with your food?

[WOLF3]
Members
27,010 posts
23,803 battles
5 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

It's technically a worse Arizona.

:Smile_teethhappy:

If I want to play a reliable 356mm x 12 USN standard BB with 21kt speed and slow reload, you can get that same experience with Arizona in Tier VI and not look at Kitakaze, Alaska, Siegfried, Jutland, Musashi, Jean Bart, etc like California will.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 3

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
384 posts
6,393 battles
Just now, Bortt said:

Yeah. 34s

If you're in a Hood and you run into a California, do you play with your food?

FTFY.

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
605 posts
8,298 battles
11 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

:Smile_teethhappy:

If I want to play a reliable 356mm x 12 USN standard BB with 21kt speed and slow reload, you can get that same experience with Arizona in Tier VI and not look at Kitakaze, Alaska, Siegfried, Jutland, Musashi, Jean Bart, etc like California will.

Does the Arizona come with the trophy winning rowing team or infamous stowaway passenger as well?  :Smile_unsure:

While I keep reading about what a floating log the California is, I am still awaiting it anxiously and looking forward to the challenge playing it will be.

[-N-]
Members
263 posts
15,675 battles

I wouldn’t be surprised if she is a free reward ship for July 4, like Texas was last year.

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
605 posts
8,298 battles
6 minutes ago, Nine_Lives_ said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if she is a free reward ship for July 4, like Texas was last year.

Whaaaaat?   Texas was free last year????   And here I paid $10 for it some while before that!   Not complaining though as it is my most played ship and well worth the cost.  Hoping to have the California take it's place as my most played.

[P-V-E]
Members
1,502 posts

Its a shame they didn't make her a US secondary spec BB at tier 7.

• Cool 1

[LEGIT]
Members
2,328 posts
31,741 battles

Where's that Dead Kennedy's song California Uber Alles...so appropriate nowadays.

Members
399 posts
6,212 battles
1 hour ago, Kartaugh said:

If she had a 25 or 24 second reload she might be tolerable.

As it is, she's garbage tier.

And if it could do 24 or 25 knots it might be interesting. So many things they could have done to make this interesting, or at least tolerable.  As is she is a slightly modified NM at a tier higher.

• Cool 1