You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_Potato_Smasher

World of Warships Proposal: MN Strasbourg

16 comments in this topic

[PRVTR]
Members
1,123 posts
5,648 battles

World of Warships Proposal: MN Strasbourg

Side view of battleship Strasbourg | Battleship, Navy ships, Naval ...

Wargaming, paint me like one of your French girls, hon hon hon.

What it is: A Tier 7 version of the Dunkerque that follows in the same vein as the Jean Bart and Bourgogne at Tier 9 and 10, respectively, with modernisation and gimmicks that make it way more powerful than it should be ( or not ).

What context it has: Seeing as there’s no other mid-tier premium French Battleship ( besides the Dunkerque ), and seeing that the French Navy already has THREE high tier premium battleships, the Gascogne, Jean Bart, and Bourgogne, with a fourth, the Tier VIII Champagne, on the way, it seems like high time that the Lonely Lyon at Tier 7 got some company. The Strasbourg also has some historical context, being the sister ship of the aforementioned Dunkerque. She survived the British assault on Mers-el-Kebir, only to be scuttled in 1942 at Toulon to avoid the Germans, when they launched their “Case Anton” operations to capture the French vessels at anchor there. For the sake of balance, we are going to depict Strasbourg as she might have appeared in 1944 or 1945, with a refit that improved her systems and fighting capabilities.

Armor

• HP Pool: 54,700
  • Torpedo Damage Reduction: 29%
  • Plating: 26mm
  • Belt Armor: 283mm
  • Athwartship Bulkhead Armor: 270mm
  • Conning Tower Armor: 270mm
  • Upper Belt and Deck: 26mm
  • Superstructure:16mm
  • DoT Duration: Standard Battleship
  • Citadel Location: Waterline
  • Repair Party Recovery: 0.5% / sec over 28 seconds

As with all French Battleships, Strasbourg is incredibly squishy. Her HP pool is slightly improved over the Dunkerque, at 53,500 hitpoints, and she has the same belt armor as the Dunkerque, for a total of 283mm of armor. The torpedo belt is also slightly improved, at 29% torpedo reduction. Still, the Strasbourg is undeniably squishy, especially for a Tier VII, where they can see Tier IX ships, including the Musashi, which has the ability to rip a new [edited] straight through the bows of this ship. The turrets are also the same ones found on the Dunkerque, which also means they are very much prone to either constant disablement or even total destruction. Caution is advised when engaging another battleship in a straight up gun duel, especially if uptiered +2

Armaments

Primary Armament: 2 x 4 330mm/52 St.Chamond Modele 1932

• Arrangement: All-Forward ( AB configuration )
  • HE Shell: 4,800 Alpha, 37% Fire chance, 55mm penetration, 885 m/s shell velocity
  • AP Shell: 9,700 Alpha, 45-60* Autobounce, 0.033 Second Fuse Timer, 870 m/s shell velocity
  • Sigma: 1.8
  • Dispersion: French Battleship
  • Range: 19.4km
  • Reload: 26 seconds
  • Turret Traverse, 5*/sec ( 36 second turret traverse )
  • Access to Main Battery Reload Booster: Yes 

Secondary Armament 2: 6 x 2 100mm/45 Modele 1931

• HE Shell: 1400 Alpha, 6% Fire chance
  • Range: 5.3km
  • Sigma: 1.0
  • Dispersion: French Secondary Battery Dispersion

The primary armament is what truly sets the Strasbourg apart from the rest of the competition at Tier 7. Strasbourg has the lowest caliber of all the Tier 7 Battleships, at 330mm, with the exception of the Scharnhorst’s 283mm guns, and even they boast an accelerated reload of 20 seconds, compared to the 26 second reload of the Strasbourg. However, this ship has several upgrades to it’s main battery over the Dunkerque’s guns to make it more competitive at this tier. The guns themselves gain a higher sigma parameter of 1.8 and a longer firing range of 19.4km. More importantly, however, is the inclusion of the Main Battery Reload Booster Consumable. This effectively turns the Strasbourg into a miniature Jean Bart, with the ability to rapidly and unforgivingly punish any targets within effective striking distance. The secondary battery also sees an upgrade, replacing all of the 130mm barrels with twin 100mm/45 turrets, for a total of 24 barrels. These guns have the potential for a secondary build, but it is unrecommended, given typical French issues with secondary mounting durability. Overall, it’s the Frenchman’s gimmicked up main battery that saves it, otherwise it's going to be difficult to rely upon the guns in the worse case scenarios. If top-tier, it's going to be a slaughter, if bottom tier, play cautiously.

AA Defense

Long Range AA Level 1: 6 x 2 100mm/45 Modele 1933

• Number of Bursts in a salvo: 5+1
  • Damage per burst: 1,330
  • RoF: 5 seconds
  • Aura DPS: 60
  • Range: 5.8km

Medium Range AA Defense: 5 x 2 37mm/70 Mle 1935, 4 x 4 40mm/60 Bofors

• Aura DPS: 232
  • Range: 3.5km

Short Range AA Defense: 12 x 2 20mm Oerlikion

• Aura DPS: 94
  • Range: 2.0km

Durability: French Standard

DFAA Available: No

Catapult Fighter Available: No

Of course, no upgraded French Battleship, premium or otherwise, is complete without a powerful AA defense that can break the backs of bottom tier aircraft carriers like it’s no big deal. Unfortunately for Strasbourg, it sits at a tier where the AA defenses of competing battleships, particularly the Americans and the Germans, are beginning to rapidly ramp up, along with access to consumables such as Fighters instead of a spotting aircraft. Strasbourg loses access to both these consumables in exchange for the rest of her gimmick-laden trickery. 

Nuff said.

Maneuverability

• Top Speed: 30.0 knots
  • Turning Radius: 730 meters
  • Rudder Shift: 13.5 seconds
  • Access to Engine Boost: Yes ( French CA version ) (!!!)
  • Acceleration: Battleship Standard

Strasbourg is almost identical to Dunkerque in terms of her maneuvering performance, other than a 0.5 second decrease to her rudder shift time and a half-knot speed increase over her sister a tier lower.

The only noteworthy change over the Dunkerque is the inclusion of the French Cruiser Engine Boost consumable, which, when combined with a Sierra Mike flag, allows her to hit a top speed of 36.2 knots, which makes her faster than even the Gneisenau, the current record holder for the fastest Tier VII Battleship. That also gives the Strasbourg an undeniable weakness in the fact that she can overextend quite quickly, which could also lead to a sudden and very untimely demise.

Concealment

• Surface Detection Radius: 16.4 kilometers
  • Aerial Detection Radius: 9.6 kilometers
  • Smoke Firing Penalty: 14.2 kilometers
  • Assured Detection Range: 2.0 kilometers

The Strasbourg is identical to the Dunkerque here, with the same base detection radii that also make her a very lucrative target for long range HE spam or lolibotes hiding behind a corner. Again, exercise caution.

Build, Consumables, and Commander Skills

Modules

• Slot 1: Main Armaments Modification 1
  • Slot 2: Damage Control System Modification 1
  • Slot 3: Aiming Systems Modification 1
  • Slot 4: Damage Control Systems Modification 2

Commander Skills

• Preventative Maintenance
  • Adrenaline Rush ( +Honore cuz lol )
  • Superintendent
  • Concealment Expert
  • Jack of All Trades ( Or High Alert )
  • Basics of Survivability
  • Fire Prevention

Consumables

• Slot 1: Damage Control Party ( 5 second action time, 40 second cooldown, unlimited charges )
  • Slot 2: Repair Party ( 28 second action time: 0.5% / sec, 28 second action time, 80 second cooldown, 4 charges )
  • Slot 3: Engine Boost ( 180 second action time, +15% to top speed, 180 second cooldown, 3 charges base )
  • Slot 4: Main Battery Reload Booster ( 15 second action time, -50% to reload speed, 120 second cooldown, 3 charges base )

There are several unique things about Strasbourg’s consumable loadout. For starters, she’s one of only two battleships to receive a cruiser damage control party ( the other being Warspite ). She also receives the French Cruiser Engine Boost consumable, though it has twice the cooldown time as the standard version, and the French Destroyer version of the Main Battery Reload Booster consumable. All this means that, while the Strasbourg is undeniably overeffective, it’s not gamebreaking like some other ships. If she had a shorter cooldown on her Engine Boost and a longer duration on her Reload Booster, then she’d be broken.

Marketing

Now we come to the hard part: the Marketing. Strasbourg, unlike Dunkerque, did not have any historical camouflage like Dunkerque. Instead, she was painted all white ( or was it no paint at all, it’s kind of hard to tell ). Therefore, it would possibly be better if it was given the same camouflage as either the Richelieu ( which would have been likely), or the same one as the Jean Bart ( WeeGee marketing ). 

And make her available for 375,000 Free XP alongside the Nelson, without those horrid memories of Mers-el-Kebir khm khm, sorry...

Welp, that’s all I got for you folks today. If you have any questions, comments, or salt, do leave them down below.

Peace!

Edited by Shrayes_Bhagavatula
  • Cool 6
  • Meh 1

Members
117 posts
2,120 battles

A Mers -el-Kebir operation where you play as the British

In terms of how to obtain Strasbourg, it'd be cool to have another free XP tier 7 ship. (After all Nelson would like to participate with Hood is lonely being the only tier 7 Free XP ship for over 2 years)

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
27,333 posts
17,592 battles

Im down for a french ship especially with french's need of a tier 7 premium ship. This one would be so fun in the final minutes of a Narai ops.

• Cool 1

[FURIA]
WoWS Community Contributors
2,030 posts
6,194 battles

I really like this proposal. I think is perfect.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,449 posts
1,963 battles

The Purist in me hates this suggestion. 

- Where in God's name are you putting 12(!) twin 100mm mounts, and their associated directors? Not to mention enough magazine space? Or where you're going to get the mounts, considering that Richelieu's had to be taken from the battleship Lorraine and a coastal defence battery? 

- It's the /60 Bofors, not the /70 at this point, and the French never got US twins in reality. It also ignores the hope to mount 5 of the 37mm/70 Mle 1935. Plus there would be an Oerlikon battery at this stage, which you have completely ignored. 

- The main armour belt is 283mm rather than 235mm. Its not much, but its honest work.   

However, there is merit in the suggestion of a French tier VII premium battleship. 

The two 37,000t projects would be my choice for that, either the 12 12" 33 knot version or the 6 16" 27 knot version. It's battery of single 90mm AA guns could well be replaced with 100mm twins (or 90mms, if you wanted to), and dump quadruple 40mm/60 Bofors and single 20mm/70 Oerlikons to your heart's content. 

[FURIA]
2,030 posts
6,194 battles
4 hours ago, mr3awsome said:

The two 37,000t projects would be my choice for that, either the 12 12" 33 knot version or the 6 16" 27 knot version. It's battery of single 90mm AA guns could well be replaced with 100mm twins (or 90mms, if you wanted to), and dump quadruple 40mm/60 Bofors and single 20mm/70 Oerlikons to your heart's content. 

I proposed the croisseur de bataille long ago, before the french tree arrival. We feel that there was a gap in tier 7. But now with these supercruiser fashion I think WG may be tempted to use it in that style. A tier 9 supercruiser. Like Kronshtad.

9kDl3vE.jpg

W214mDw.jpg

F8JJtkj.jpg

awXlvgr.jpg

[PRVTR]
Members
1,123 posts
5,648 battles
4 hours ago, mr3awsome said:

The Purist in me hates this suggestion. 

- Where in God's name are you putting 12(!) twin 100mm mounts, and their associated directors? Not to mention enough magazine space? Or where you're going to get the mounts, considering that Richelieu's had to be taken from the battleship Lorraine and a coastal defence battery? 

- It's the /60 Bofors, not the /70 at this point, and the French never got US twins in reality. It also ignores the hope to mount 5 of the 37mm/70 Mle 1935. Plus there would be an Oerlikon battery at this stage, which you have completely ignored. 

- The main armour belt is 283mm rather than 235mm. Its not much, but its honest work.   

However, there is merit in the suggestion of a French tier VII premium battleship. 

THINKING INTENSIFIES

:SerB:

11,449 posts
1,963 battles
16 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

THINKING INTENSIFIES

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.   

17 hours ago, Talleyrand said:

I proposed the croisseur de bataille long ago, before the french tree arrival. We feel that there was a gap in tier 7. But now with these supercruiser fashion I think WG may be tempted to use it in that style. A tier 9 supercruiser. Like Kronshtad.

9kDl3vE.jpg

W214mDw.jpg

F8JJtkj.jpg

awXlvgr.jpg

The 12" version I'm inclined to agree with you, what with the 33 knot speed. However, the 16" version could definitely work as a battleship premium. They've got the guns, and if they do the 12" version they've got most of the hull. Seems like an easy win, and one that doesn't directly compete with any other WG premiums.  

The 12" version might also open the door to the 17,500tW cruiser killer as a tier VI premium too.   

[FURIA]
2,030 posts
6,194 battles
7 hours ago, mr3awsome said:

The 12" version might also open the door to the 17,500tW cruiser killer as a tier VI premium too  

The cruiser killer is very interesting. And we don't have something like that in the tier

• Cool 1

[PRVTR]
Members
1,123 posts
5,648 battles

Updated the proposal

• Main armor belt increased from 235mm to 283mm
  • Removal of 6 of the Dual 100mm mounts
  • Replacement of Initial AA suite with 5 x 2 37mm/70 Modele 1935 and 4 x 4 40mm/60 Bofors 
  • Addition of 12 Dual 20mm Oerlikions

Thank you to @mr3awsome for the suggestions. Hope you ain't feeling shirty now...

• Cool 1

[FURIA]
2,030 posts
6,194 battles
1 hour ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Replacement of Initial AA suite with 5 x 2 37mm/70 Modele 1935 and 4 x 4 40mm/60 Bofors 

Why use both? They are interchangeable. 

[PRVTR]
Members
1,123 posts
5,648 battles
11 hours ago, Talleyrand said:

Why use both? They are interchangeable. 

@mr3awsome stated that there were 5 37mm mounts to be added. Either he's right, or I'm a potato. 

11,449 posts
1,963 battles
46 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

@mr3awsome stated that there were 5 37mm mounts to be added. Either he's right, or I'm a potato. 

They wanted to put the 5 37mm mounts on to begin with, so if we're going ahistorical we might as well do something that they intended.  

In reality they weren't ready, so they used the older Mle 1933 instead. 

• Cool 1

[FURIA]
2,030 posts
6,194 battles
7 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

My advice is that you keep the 37mm, forget the 40mm bofors. 

I like your proposal. The idea of a mini "Jean Bart". I'm not sure about those changes on the AA. And if you are going to change the original 37mm, use the ACAD 37mm. They were quite good. And will keep a rather historical look.

Anyway I probably won't change the AA. The historical factor is important.

This is the 37mm ACAD 

aAtR54P.png

The Director could serve 2 twin mountings aswell.

Individually each gun make 6.05, so instead of the 11.5 bubble that Dunkerque have, you will get a 60.5 bubble in your Strasburg. Is a nice jump.  

• Cool 3

[B2P]
Members
265 posts
7,291 battles

Bumping this, as a fan of the Dunkerque, Richelieu, and JB. 
I really like this idea as much like JB has small caliber guns for her tier but they are the most powerful 380's there, Dunkerque's 330mm rifles are more powerful than many 356mm guns around. Infact, Odin's 305mm at T8 penetrate around 326mm at 16km, whereas Dunkerque can penetrate 400mm. At this range, even Vanguard's 15" guns only have a 27mm penetration advantage. I'm comparing to T8 ships remember, not even T7 or T6. This means much like JB, you won't be overmatching anything, but you're definitely not lacking in penetration. Strasbourg at T7 getting better sigma and reload boost will make it a very, very polarizing ship. Shares all the tier for tier weaknesses as JB in armor, guns breaking and shells bouncing, but when given broadsides will shred things badly. 
This is all WOWSFT information too, you can verify yourself. 
EDIT: The 330mm Chamond outperform all British premium and tech tree BBs at T7 and T8, lmbo. They're competitive with Colorado, Gneisenau, and the vaunted sinop, all in the 400mm-450mm penetration range at 16km. Just missing overmatch. 
I highly vouch for a hotrodded Dunkerque-class at T7. 
I'd also like for Dunky to get a small sigma buff, or at least tweaked dispersion pattern (Graf Spee pattern would be spicy for Dunk and Stras). 

Edited by Seniorious
  • Cool 3

[FURIA]
2,030 posts
6,194 battles
8 hours ago, Seniorious said:

, Dunkerque's 330mm rifles are more powerful than many 356mm guns around. Infact, Odin's 305mm at T8 penetrate around 326mm at 16km, whereas Dunkerque can penetrate 400mm. At this range, even Vanguard's 15" guns only have a 27mm penetration advantage. I'm comparing to T8 ships remember, not even T7 or T6. This means much like JB, you won't be overmatching anything, but you're definitely not lacking in penetration. Strasbourg at T7 getting better sigma and reload boost will make it a very, very polarizing ship. Shares all the tier for tier weaknesses as JB in armor, guns breaking and shells bouncing, but when given broadsides will shred things badly. 
This is all WOWSFT information too, you can verify yourself. 
EDIT: The 330mm Chamond outperform all British premium and tech tree BBs at T7 and T8, lmbo. They're competitive with Colorado, Gneisenau, and the vaunted sinop, all in the 400mm-450mm penetration range at 16km. Just missing overmatch. 
I highly vouch for a hotrodded Dunkerque-class at T7. 
I'd also like for Dunky to get a small sigma buff, or at least tweaked dispersion pattern (Graf Spee pattern would be spicy for Dunk and Stras). 

To ilustrate his point:

Horizontal Penetration and Impact Angle (3).png

• Cool 1