You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
YouSatInGum

"Permanent" camo dilemma

44 comments in this topic

[ANK-A]
Members
1,053 posts
9,856 battles

I only have a few games in the Nevsky, but I believe that I am probably going to be using this ship quite a bit in the future, especially is CV's remain in Clan Battles.

So it is technically in my interest to purchase the permanent camo.  However, I am one of those players that was royally screwed over by the Moskva "permanent" camo snub.  I had a grand total of about 9 or 10 battles with it, so it is easily the worst World of Warships purchase I have ever made.  That has been well hashed over, and hopefully it is obvious to all that this was bad corporate behavior of the kind that made EA infamouste

Yet, as I said in the first sentence, it would be in my best interest to buy the Nevsky camo, but it is rewarding bad behavior.  Not only that, but I can easily see Nev getting a nerf in a few months (it is very strong).  I have that same issue with the Venezia, where I like playing the ship but the circulating rumors of the nerf batter being on deck are heating up... and the history of the nerf batter is to hit out it out of the park most of the time...  I dodged a bullet with HIV since I was close to getting the camo for it, right before it was crushed.... it's basically in dry dock now ( don't see them much anymore either)

@Hapa_Fodder you should maybe take note.  I'd like to buy some stuff, but I am very nervous about trusting that I will get my money's worth... and rewarding bad behavior is likely to embolden future decisions that are very player unfriendly.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to do here, I am possibly hurting myself by not buying the camo if I play the Nevsky a lot, but I might be hurting myself (and the WOWS player community) if I do buy it for the reasons mentioned above. 

Edited by YouSatInGum
  • Cool 13
  • Boring 3

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
1 minute ago, YouSatInGum said:

I dodged a bullet with HIV

Dude, I totally read that differently at first.  :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 2

[WMD]
Members
1,621 posts
9,766 battles
2 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

I only have a few games in the Nevsky, but I believe that I am probably going to be using this ship quite a bit in the future, especially is CV's remain in Clan Battles.

So it is technically in my interest to purchase the permanent camo.  However, I am one of those players that was royally screwed over by the Moskva "permanent" camo snub.  I had a grand total of about 9 or 10 battles with it, so it is easily the worst World of Warships purchase I have ever made.  That has been well hashed over, and hopefully it is obvious to all that this was bad corporate behavior of the kind that made EA infamouste

Yet, as I said in the first sentence, it would be in my best interest to buy the Nevsky camo, but it is rewarding bad behavior.  Not only that, but I can easily see Nev getting a nerf in a few months (it is very strong).  I have that same issue with the Venezia, where I like playing the ship but the circulating rumors of the nerf batter being on deck are heating up... and the history of the nerf batter is to hit out it out of the park most of the time...  I dodged a bullet with HIV since I was close to getting the camo for it, right before it was crushed.... it's basically in dry dock now ( don't see them much anymore either)

@Hapa_Fodder you should maybe take note.  I'd like to but some stuff, but I am very nervous about trusting that I will get my money's worth... and rewarding bad behavior is likely to embolden future decisions that are very player unfriendly.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to do here, I am possibly hurting myself by not buying the camo if I play the Nevsky a lot, but I might be hurting myself (and the WOWS player community) if I do buy it for the reasons mentioned above. 

You always take a risk with premium camo, I had my YY for only a short time before the nerf hammer dropped. Any of your tech tree ships can be "adjusted" at any time, it's a risk you run in any online game. 

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,177 posts
9,512 battles
Just now, VeatherVitch said:

You always take a risk with premium camo, I had my YY for only a short time before the nerf hammer dropped. Any of your tech tree ships can be "adjusted" at any time, it's a risk you run in any online game. 

Well nerfs or changes to tech tree ships are always something to be considered at all times.

The situation with Moskva though is completely different and unforeseen.

• Cool 4

[ALWC]
Members
1,180 posts
14,108 battles
6 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

Well nerfs or changes to tech tree ships are always something to be considered at all times.

The situation with Moskva though is completely different and unforeseen.

Unpresidented 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,739 posts

Would really have been better to transfer the old purchased (etc) Moskva permacamo to the new tier 10 ship, and then give the new permacamo to Moskva across the board.  

And I say that as someone who never bought the old permacamo Moskva. 

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
15,862 posts
12,803 battles

Don't do it.

That's Doubloons that's permanently gone.

• Haha 1

[BUOY]
Members
1,023 posts
14,530 battles

I wouldn't buy T10 permas outside of some deep discount or you really like the look from now on with consumables becoming free and tons of 1x use camos available (or even if not, the Type5 camo provides all the combat bonuses almost any other camo gives. It's definitely not worth it with the Extra Special Moskva policy now in place.

• Cool 2

[ANK-A]
Members
1,053 posts
9,856 battles

Last december I had around 500-600 camos of various kinds, but through grinding stuff I recently used the last of them up.  Currently on Nevsky I use the Type 5,  but don't like to do that on a long term basis.... bad for xp accumulation....exp cap xp and fxp....not to mention credits.  10 battle don't mean a lot....100 is a different story.

Edited by YouSatInGum

[NH]
Members
1,771 posts
1 minute ago, YouSatInGum said:

Last december I had around 500-600 camos of various kinds, but through grinding stuff I recently used the last of them up.  Currently on Nevsky I use the Type 5,  but don't like to do that on a long term basis.... bad for xp accumulation....exp cap xp and fxp....not to mention credits.

yeah t10 without perm camo or some other camo that generates credits will be a constant drain or no gain at all.

Members
1,605 posts
25,141 battles

Just man up and impress the boys and girls and play without camo. Don't say, "I CAN'T!" GitGud.

[WOLFG]
Members
867 posts

WG intentionally puts out OP ships in order to generate interest and sales.  Once they have received all their cash, camos, free exp etc. from a ship they nerf them 'for balance'.  This forces players to chase the next best thing.  So basically, expect a nerf.  Whether you decide to put a perma camo on it or not is going to be about how much you might play it and what gains you get out of it before they nerf it.  Because they WILL nerf it.

Edited by Captain_Rawhide

[PVE]
Members
6,181 posts
22,432 battles
1 hour ago, YouSatInGum said:

@Hapa_Fodder you should maybe take note.  I'd like to buy some stuff, but I am very nervous about trusting that I will get my money's worth... and rewarding bad behavior is likely to embolden future decisions that are very player unfriendly.

Wait until the last minute...CBs just started the mini versions so the next full CB season is still a minute away.

Maybe by that time either the nerfs will have already dropped or at least been announced to give you a better basis to base your decision on.

Members
443 posts
451 battles

I used to buy permacamo for ships I liked and planned to play more often, but that was before I understood the economics and realized that my play generates so many useful alternatives that permacamo isn’t a “must have” at all. And in light of the recent Moskva situation, I just can’t spend the money to support what I believe are poor decisions by the company as regards their customers. My opinion is my own, and I simply suggest you weigh the pros and cons of any investment and make choices based on what’s right for you and not anyone else.

• Cool 3

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles
2 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

Don't do it.

That's Doubloons that's permanently gone.

^this

You give them real money and in 5 games they can decide you got your value and "benefits" out of it. Then they can take it away and tell you that they're not ripping you off because you got the value and "benefit" of generating extra fake in game money.

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts

Sad thing is, I would guess what happened with the Moskva camo, will not stop you buying the Nevsky camo.

If it had, you wouldn't be here trying to make WG feel bad, you would just say 'Nope, aint buying it!' and that would be that.

Absolutely those that bought the Moskva camo should have been able to sell it back for dubloons (enabling them to buy the Nevsky perm camo).

But sadly WG do not care, and they don't have to! Most of those that feel cheated with the Moskva camo, will still be spending on the game.

You have the power up until you hand over the cash - and then WG can do what they want.

Essentially all you are doing here, is pleading with WG not to kick you in the soft spot once you hand over your money! :Smile_sad:

Members
99 posts

Sad to say WG is a bottomless pit with a voracious appetite. To me it demonstrates that the money you throw at them is not remembered or appreciated, they only care about the future money they think they'll get.

And as others have pointed out, T10 is easily the most volatile and subject to changes. If you like the ship and you think you'll get value for money out of permaflage then by all means do so. Everyone will have a different opinion on that value, so it's really up to you.

[PVE]
Members
11,856 posts
24,554 battles
2 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

I am in the same boat with Nevsky. I always bought the perma the day I got a new T10. I no longer feel I can trust WG not to steal it after what they did with Moskva. So most likely no more perma rental camo purchases for me if they will consider the Moskva situation as the SOP moving forward.

Yup, all players who had purchased the Moskva camo took it up the rear. Doesn't matter if you had 10 games, 100 games, or 1000+ games in it. What they di was wrong; period and end of story.

2 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I now think of permacamo more as

perma(?)camo.

They should change the name from Permanent Camo to Lease or Rental camo

• Cool 6

Alpha Tester
595 posts
15,625 battles

My feeling is , I have just lost a bunch of dubs on a T10 tech tree camo, so I'll pass on them now. Didn't appreciate the fellow that said I had gotten my use out of it either. I'd like to tell him where to stick it, but I'll be nice.

• Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Members
3,475 posts
14,849 battles

Moksva is a special case thought : it's the only CA in a tech tree line filled with CL. The closest comparaison you could make is if WG tells you to grind the USN CL line and at the end, you get to play DM. Some people may be asking then *Why not just transfer Moksva to the CA line ?* 

WG wants you to play / free XP the new ship so obviously they won't just move Moksva to the new CA line. 

I don't think another case like that will happens. Soviet cruiser line was always weird to begin with but other line makes more sense.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[A-I-M]
Members
3,056 posts
13,308 battles
7 minutes ago, ol_Cajun said:

I'd like to tell him where to stick it, but I'll be nice.

That’s the problem with virtual goods...

There’s nothing to stick!

• Funny 2

Alpha Tester
595 posts
15,625 battles
Just now, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

That’s the problem with virtual goods...

There’s nothing to stick!

That made me laugh.

[WOLF7]
Members
164 posts

11 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

They should change the name from Permanent Camo to Lease or Rental camo

Exactly my opinion so no more permanent camo purchases (even though I was lucky and had not purchased Moskva camo yet).