You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RonJamesDio

Arizona or West Virginia?

61 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
313 posts
4,727 battles

I'm in the market for a new tier 6 prem BB and I am curious what you folks think is the better of the two. I have extensively read Miss Mouse's reviews of either ship and I am on the fence about which one. 

West Virginia sounds fun as overmatch is a very valuable(and hilarious) asset and I do enjoy big guns with big alpha, but it sounds like she has the worse hull of the two. Arizona sounds like a solid platform vs her tier, but it sounds like she doesn't uptier as well. I was looking into Mutsu as well, but I am a bit hesitant about her, since it sounds like she requires some finesse and I am an average player at best. 

Any input would be much appreciated! 

[WOLFA]
Members
853 posts
7,966 battles

I have the West Virginia and all I can say is for me it's the worst ship in the game. The guns can't hit the side of a barn at 10 feet and it's so slow. It is my most under played ship. 

Can't speak about the AZ but if it's anything like the Texas I would go for that.

Edited by CorradoG60
  • Meh 2

[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
19,253 battles

I own both and I really appreciate their different characteristics.  Arizona is more forgiving in gunnery due to the extra barrels, and it does good work against enemy cruisers and some battleships.  Up tiered is not a good place for it, since it is already slow and becomes very undergunned against tier 8 BB's.  The West Virginia requires more patience due to it's health pool and RoF, but it up tiers better than many tier 6 BB's and it's guns can wreck opposing tier 6 BB's and overmatch quite a few tier 5 BB's armor schemes.

I'd decide to get the WV first based on how I play right now, but probably would have went with the Arizona earlier in my game experience.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[UN1]
Members
1,385 posts
4,471 battles

Arizona is a little bit tankier and is going to enjoy a lot more consistent gunnery thanks to her 12 guns and 1.8 sigma. She's also got better concealment and slightly better AA. 

West Virginia is all about insanly hard hitting firepower, having the best penetration at T6 by quite a long shot.  Because of that, she's good at getting random citadel's. Her gunnery is a bit trickier to master though, as it's a 4x2 turret setup with only a 1.8 sigma. Concealment is the worst of the American T6 battleships, and you also have almost no AA. It's a purist gun platform, but in the hands of a good player, probably the highest performing.

New Mexico has the best heal, ruddershift, and AA while still having punchy gunnery. Her penetration is better than the Arizona, but her accuracy is worse. Her armor profile is arguably the worst of the three, too. 

Edited by Ranari
  • Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,715 posts
11,219 battles

The thing to remember about Mutsu is that she lacks Nagato’s accuracy (1.8 vs 2.0 sigma) and her shells are floatier with significantly less penetration. Considering that Nagato’s defining feature is those wonderful guns... I received Mutsu from the tier VI crate from the anniversary event last year and she’s an okay tier VI, but a little disappointing compared to her older sister.

I have neither WV nor Arizona, so I can’t offer you any advice in that regard, but if you are looking for a tier VI BB and do not already have her, Warspite is also an excellent choice.

Edited by Nevermore135

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,324 posts
14,923 battles
3 minutes ago, Ranari said:

Arizona is a little bit tankier and is going to enjoy a lot more consistent gunnery thanks to her 12 guns and 1.8 sigma. She's also got better concealment and slightly better AA. 

West Virginia is all about insanly hard hitting firepower, having the best penetration at T6 by quite a long shot.  Because of that, she's good at getting random citadel's. Her gunnery is a bit trickier to master though, as it's a 4x2 turret setup with only a 1.8 sigma. Concealment is the worst of the American T6 battleships, and you also have almost no AA. It's a purist gun platform, but in the hands of a good player, probably the highest performing.

New Mexico has the best heal, ruddershift, and AA while still having punchy gunnery. Her penetration is better than the Arizona, but her accuracy is worse. Her armor profile is arguably the worst of the three, too. 

I wouldn't say the WV's AA is terrible and while not as good as the Arizona it is good enough to make CV players think before they leap. Next to no AA is the tier 5 Viribus Unitis which can't even knock down a tier 4 CV plane. They are both good choices for people that can handle the slow speed of US standards.

[GT3]
Members
199 posts
7,754 battles

Warspite.. If your gonna be slow at least be accurate.

I have WV and never play it... Feels like new mexico 2.0

Edited by Mego_Splat
Better wording

[KWF]
Members
6,359 posts
7,145 battles

Not a BB main, I got WV off santa crates. Say what you will but WeeVees guns can hurt every  ship in her MM except from tier VIII bowtanking BBs. Being able to disregard most armor thresholds at this tier has a quality of it's own.

• Cool 2

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles
19 minutes ago, RonJamesDio said:

I'm in the market for a new tier 6 prem BB and I am curious what you folks think is the better of the two. I have extensively read Miss Mouse's reviews of either ship and I am on the fence about which one. 

West Virginia sounds fun as overmatch is a very valuable(and hilarious) asset and I do enjoy big guns with big alpha, but it sounds like she has the worse hull of the two. Arizona sounds like a solid platform vs her tier, but it sounds like she doesn't uptier as well. I was looking into Mutsu as well, but I am a bit hesitant about her, since it sounds like she requires some finesse and I am an average player at best. 

I have all three. All have their roles.

Arizona was a good learner ship, with good, consistent guns, good agility for torpedo-infested waters, and twelve barrels is always good for when you have to shoot at destroyers. Is slow, though.

Mutsu has been good for Ranked Sprint. Good speed for shifting to where the battle needs to be fought. The torpedoes aren’t a first go-to weapon, but they can give rude surprises, and reliad in 21 seconds. 16” guns at T6 is nobody’s joke, but they don’t always hit as hard as one would hope.

West Virgina suffers from “the slows” the same as Arizona. The guns hit really hard, more consistent in that respect than Mutsu. The low barrel count does leave you wishing for more sometimes. But it can deliver a paddlin’.

What is best depends on how you use them.

In randoms I go WV or AZ, leaning more toward WV these days. In ranked sprints, I value the speed of Mutsu, especially if WG slaps a team size of six on a season.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,296 posts
10,712 battles

Having played both, it all comes down to how you value firepower: the size of the gun or the amount of guns. West Virginia has eight 16” guns that pack a MASSIVE punch, but have a tendency to overpen targets quite a lot. When they don’t overpen though, they hurt. Arizona has less powerful guns but more of them, thus making it a lot easier to land hits, though at a slower reload. Both go the same speed. West Virginia would probably help you prepare for Colorado at Tier VII if you haven’t played it yet. Overall both are a good choice, but for me I’d personally choose West Virginia.

• Thanks 1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
313 posts
4,727 battles

I have played the American line to the North Carolina, so I have some experience with the bricks, the speed didn't really concern me too much since proper map awareness early game can make a big difference. I actually didn't mind the Colorado, her guns hurt when they hit and she could tank some serious damage. I do also have Warspite as well, her being my first premium ship. 

I am leaning more towards the WV after reading all the input, since I do prefer having more powerful guns if at all possible. I find it rewards good aim more than the smaller calibre shotguns. I also like to be able to reliably bloody the nose of a higher tier ship if given the chance, especially since I seem to have bad luck with matchmaking. Nothing frustrates me more than catching an unaware target broadside with a solid salvo and having most of the shells either shatter or bounce.

On a side note, I have the Roma so I know all about overpenning 80% of your shots. I very much enjoy her though, despite the randomness. She can really put a hurt on heavily armoured ships with a bit of luck.

[O_O]
Members
7,036 posts
17,370 battles

Arizona doesn't uptier well?

c1CxtNg.jpg

Arizona OP!!! Plz nerf.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,069 posts
19,170 battles

West Virginia and Arizona are both great for tier 6 Operations but I tend to play the WV more than Arizona.

image.thumb.png.6ac953787de004747eec60f013c78d68.png

image.thumb.png.4acd2e922877148552e0a4ba122f8d55.png

And apparently it is 1 point better than Izmail.

[RLGN]
Members
16,173 posts
28,066 battles
2 hours ago, RonJamesDio said:

I liked Colorado, so WV was an easy choise for me.

the 'at sea' uniformed 'Dusty Rhodes' captain made it an easier choice. (May have been a mission award, don't think he's available any more.)

89Nxo7.jpg

Mutsu I don't really know much about. Arizona was just a premium New Mexico to me; I can't really see any difference in the two, but like both. Warspite has also been a ship I like, but is harder to work with than Arizona, (8 guns versus 12.)

2 hours ago, CorradoG60 said:

I have the West Virginia and all I can say is for me it's the worst ship in the game. The guns can't hit the side of a barn at 10 feet and it's so slow. It is my most under played ship. 

Can't speak about the AZ but if it's anything like the Texas I would go for that.

Like I said above, I liked Colorado, so maybe that translated into WV. No real problems with it.

2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

The thing to remember about Mutsu is that she lacks Nagato’s accuracy (1.8 vs 2.0 sigma) and her shells are floatier with significantly less penetration. Considering that Nagato’s defining feature is those wonderful guns... I received Mutsu from the tier VI crate from the anniversary event last year and she’s an okay tier VI, but a little disappointing compared to her older sister.

I have neither WV nor Arizona, so I can’t offer you any advice in that regard, but if you are looking for a tier VI BB and do not already have her, Warspite is also an excellent choice.

Not an easy to use choice, but one that can deliver.

[SVF]
Members
1,858 posts
2,438 battles

WV41 is a reminder to me that the devs are out of touch with their own playerbase/game (people want/wanted WV44/45 for pete's sake.  Obligatory "where is she WG?"), so I prefer Arizona on general principle.

Edited by landcollector
  • Boring 1

[O_O]
Members
7,036 posts
17,370 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Arizona was just a premium New Mexico to me; I can't really see any difference in the two, but like both.

Arizona is a more accurate version of New Mexico.

I don't have West Virginia '41...yet.  Since it is the only Tier 6 premium I don't have that is currently available (unless Makarov now qualifies), I suppose I may get her next week as a reward for the Spring Season of Public Test.

Edited by desmo_2

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Neither. I have both and wouldn't recommend either.

Don't have Mutsu but I've seen it dominate in experienced hands with monster guns. Fragile armor means you better know how to angle and position yourself.

Instead consider

1) Warspite. She is faster and has decent AA  while still having excellent gunnery. 

2) Prinz E Freddy. Also faster with good  gunnery, good secondaries, good armor and good AA.

Note: If you would also consider a tier 7 premium then you'd be hard pressed to do better than Scharnhorst. She's one of the best boats in the game.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 1

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,881 battles
1 hour ago, thebigblue said:

I have both and wouldn't recommend either.

Read the post. OP wants input on the two US BBs he's considering.

So, OP, as a general rule I'd go for the one with more HPs & ofc use Cpt skills to augment or support retention of HPs.

More accurate Main Guns is also a consideration as you want to delete the enemy asap.

I don't have either of these US BBs either but do get the one you more want (for whatever reasons) & ignore  :cap_horn:'player/s' who say don't buy either.

Buy whatever you want - it's your money & your port :Smile_teethhappy:

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
313 posts
4,727 battles

Whoa, whoa easy there people! I appreciate the input from everyone on this matter, I wasn't intending for this thread to get so confrontational. People have playstyles and ships they like and don't like, but there is no need to get hostile. 

I do have Scharnhorst and it hasn't really agreed with me so well, and I have Ashitaka and absolutely love her despite the shortcomings of her armour and occasional pen issues ( she was my go to for this ranked season). I also already have Warspite and enjoy her tremendously. 

I was just curious what folks thought of in the case of these two American BB's. Mutsu also interested me because it sounds similar to Ashitaka just with torpedos so I was curious if it was enjoyable or not. 

[BB-C4]
Beta Testers
135 posts
10,783 battles

Prinz Eitel Friedrich is a good choice if it ever goes on sale. Simply because it’s at fast battleship with good secondaries, solid armor, decent guns. A superb all arounder in terms of a battleship, most people hate on her really exaggerate. She’s a solid ship if you have the skill.

Can’t speak on Arizona, but West Virginia is rather meh at best. The guns can do great things, but the crazy slow speed, poor anti air, poor secondaries, meh armor are what you pay for those guns(and their nerfed from Colorado as well). They did their best to nerf it down in order to shoe horn it in at tier 6. From what I hear though Arizona might be a better bet due to the improved dispersion on the main guns.

[CDOH]
Members
899 posts
8,510 battles

If your a good BB player the West Virgina is really powerful to overpowered.  IF you don't click with BBs or slow american BBs you will struggle. 

[4HIM]
Members
3,285 posts
15,578 battles
3 hours ago, RonJamesDio said:

I was just curious what folks thought of in the case of these two American BB's. Mutsu also interested me because it sounds similar to Ashitaka just with torpedos so I was curious if it was enjoyable or not. 

I have all three.  Of those, I enjoy playing Mutsu the most.  I have had AZ the longest.  It's enjoyable to play.  Like WV the least.  It was a ship I had no interest in, so of course it's what I got in the anniversary crate last year.  

Mutsu isn't as slow as the US standards.  And those torps are just downright silly fun.  Especially if you're top tier.  Lot of newer T5 players don't expect them in a brawl.  I tend to do good, consistent damage in Mutsu.  The other two, I have a good game now and again with a lot of 'meh' battles mixed in.

AZ is okay.  Slow but has a lot of accurate guns.  As with all these ships, if you're bottom tier it's a rough road.  Even worse with the US standards.  In a T8 battle, the fight will be over before you get there.

WV has all the lumbering slow speed of the AZ but powerful guns.  But you get less of them.  And with the larger guns, you get overpens for days.  Personally, I find it frustrating to play mostly due to that.  I find the smaller guns of AZ don't overpen as often.  

• Thanks 1

[ARGSY]
Members
24,393 posts
18,350 battles
16 hours ago, RonJamesDio said:

Forgive me for prying, but I went and had a look at your profile to see what your tech-tree experience was like.

I will answer your question by pointing out the essence of the choices you present (including Mutsu, for completeness) in relation to ships you already have (or had) and are familiar with.

If you liked COLORADO, then WV41 (which I have) is more of the same a tier lower.

If you liked NEW MEXICO, then Arizona (which I was offered and liked as a rental but have not yet bought) is more of the same but with the shells clustering more tightly around the aim point. 

If you liked NAGATO, then Mutsu (which I have) is Nagato with the shell quality watered down a little and with situational torpedoes, the latter of which have the potential to tempt you to get into trouble trying to use them in Randoms, but are hilarious in co-op (which is what I bought mine for when she was half price last August). 

This is of course an oversimplification, but it does give you a window into what to expect and it lets me address...

THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM.

If you hated any of those three tech-tree ships with the fire of a thousand suns, if they are anathema to you and you would rather face three T4 carriers in a Bogatyr for eternity than sail any particular one of those ships again, you should think twice before buying the premium version.

(If you want the WV41 because you want the violent satisfaction of taking a Colorado to Tier 6 operations, you are a sick, evil man and I appreciate you. :cap_haloween: robot non patieris vivere )

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1