You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Xcalib3r

Main advantage of Somers over Halland?

10 comments in this topic

[UEFN]
Members
1,354 posts
25,802 battles

Both are very good utility DD, somers have slightly better concealment, but the Halland isn't too far off. Somers have more guns but slower 6s reload while the Halland have less guns but 3x faster reload so they're pretty close the end.  Both of them have good torps with about the same alpha damage there too, but the Halland has significantly better AA, other than having smoke why would anybody pick Somers over Halland?

[SNGNS]
Members
611 posts
7,045 battles

17000 vs 10000 damage is not nothing, also smoke, better concealment 1,5 km range. also somers is way faster. they both fill different niches but halland has the problem that if spotted, its to slow to get away from being shot to pieces, but tbf it gets a heal for that.

[CS7]
Members
320 posts
5,646 battles
36 minutes ago, Xcalib3r said:

Both are very good utility DD, somers have slightly better concealment, but the Halland isn't too far off. Somers have more guns but slower 6s reload while the Halland have less guns but 3x faster reload so they're pretty close the end.  Both of them have good torps with about the same alpha damage there too, but the Halland has significantly better AA, other than having smoke why would anybody pick Somers over Halland?

The US Mark 17 torpedoes are some of the best in the game, and the Somers gets 3 racks.  That is the only reason to get Somers, because with the exception of a little bit better speed and agility, the Gearing does just about everything better, and in the case of AA, a lot better.  Halland is a significantly different ship from what I can tell with probably the best destroyer AA in the game.

Edited by Maddau

[WOLFC]
Members
2,522 posts

Well, I think people are better to play a ship that fits their playstyle

You want to torp for damage from in close and control areas by your lonesome- Somers

You want to torp from farther back, cause people to dance &  knife fight if you have to all while fighting within a group - Halland

[DOG]
Members
1,301 posts
13,507 battles
36 minutes ago, TobTorp said:

17000 vs 10000 damage is not nothing, also smoke, better concealment 1,5 km range. also somers is way faster. they both fill different niches but halland has the problem that if spotted, its to slow to get away from being shot to pieces, but tbf it gets a heal for that.

That pretty much sums it up.  I have both ships, but I play Somers a lot more.  Having 8 guns goes a long way toward making up for the slow reload.  You still don't want to duke it out with a Daring or Haragumo if you can help it, but you at least don't have to immediately run or smoke up against the others.  And the ship's speed is a big factor with me.  With a flag and speed boost on, it can do something like 43 knots.  Not the fastest DD, but one of the fastest that still has smoke and decent concealment.   But the thing I like the best is the torpedoes.  A range of 16.5 km lets you fire them well outside of Russian radar range, and lets you blind fire into caps across the map at the beginning of the game.  You can actually get a fair number of hits and first blood achievements that way.  The speed of 69 knots is pretty good.  And having them divided into three separate racks also gives you a lot more options for outguessing how your targets are going to turn.  Which is very useful, because BBs at tier X can turn like Mazeratis.  And the reload is decent,which is why I play it more than my Shimakaze.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
30,172 battles
1 hour ago, Xcalib3r said:

Somers have more guns but slower 6s reload while the Halland have less guns but 3x faster reload so they're pretty close the end.

The somers has slightly more gun dpm than shima while the halland has slightly less than the gearing. This means the halland has about 33% more gun dpm vs the somers. Not close at all. The somers however has some of the best useable torpedo dpm in the game while the halland has relatively low torpedo dpm (halland has worse base torpedo dpm than groz). However, the halland has aa that can at least dissuade cv's while the somers...would be lucky to shoot down a fighter. Somers also has great usn smoke while the halland has a strong heal. If cv's aren't in a game then somers is great, however the second they are you'd much rather be in a halland. 

[WMD]
Members
1,929 posts
10,966 battles

I prefer Somers to Gearing(don't have Halland) because of the third launcher. As mentioned above by @zubalkabir the third launcher allows you to cover more possibilities when ships are maneuvering. I also find firing two, and holding the third in reserve often works well when ships are moving in toward you, as most people forget to be cautious about a potential third spread of torps.  

While Swedish DDs have good AA, I still wouldn't want to count on AA keeping a CV away. In my experience a smart CV will take the plane losses to knock a DD out of the fight if it can catch you alone. 

• Cool 1

[BONKS]
Members
1,024 posts
9,058 battles
1 hour ago, Xcalib3r said:

Depends on what you are asking here. Both DD's are great in their own respective ways. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses

Somers - Great torps (high alpha), 5.8 conceal, fast bote, and has US smoke screen which can be utilized effectively if needed (also can be used to disengage), ZERO AA

Halland - Great torps (low alpha), good guns, best DD AA, No smoke (cant disengage easily, requires some skill to play), slow bote (literally gets run down by cruisers if you're not careful)

depends on which meta you are asking for the situation of these ships

if there is a CV in the game, then Somers will be useless if the CV is focusing your side of the map (literally zero AA, dont expect to shoot down any planes). all  you can expect to do is long range torps and hope to hit 1 or 2, whereas the halland can keep its surrounding a no fly area for the CV and can harass enemy ships with its torpedoes

however if there is no CV, then both DDs excel with the somers having a smoke screen to provide to team mates and also fire from safety. With the halland you need to use the islands and abuse the detection mechanics carefully or you can get focused down quickly as you aren't necessarily the fastest boat and can get hit easily

Somers is also more useful in clan battles with NO CV's as it provides more utility and is kind of a mix between the gearing and shimakaze. So depends on what you want the bote for. also keep in mind that one is a tech tree ship and somers is a steel ship.