You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

354th Anniversary Four Day's Battle But No Dutch Battlecruiser To Be Seen

24 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,808 battles

Well people have probably read the title of the post and thought what is this all about, so let me give you some background,

First about The 354th Anniversary Of The Four Day's Battle, Philips van Almonde and the challenge. 

The Four Days' Battle, also known as the Four Days' Fight in some English sources and as Vierdaagse Zeeslag in Dutch was a naval battle of the Second Anglo-Dutch War. it began off the Flemish coast and ended near the English coast. It remains one of the longest naval engagements in history. The Dutch accounts refer to its dates as 11 June to 14 June 1666 using the New Style calendar.The Dutch inflicted significant damage on the English fleet which lost ten ships in total, with over 1,000 men killed including two vice-admirals, Sir Christopher Myngs and Sir William Berkeley, while almost 2,000 English were taken prisoner including a third vice-admiral George Ayscue. Dutch losses were four ships destroyed by fire and over 1,550 men killed, including Lieutenant Admiral Cornelis Evertsen, Vice Admiral Abraham van der Hulst and Rear Admiral Frederik Stachouwer.  the result was a clear Dutch victory,

Philips van Almonde

Philips van Almonde (29 December 1644 – 6 January 1711) was a Dutch Lieutenant Admiral, who served in his nation’s maritime conflicts of the 17th and early 18th centuries.

He distinguished himself in the Four Days Battle of 11–14 June 1666,

The challenge 

I have been a life long Naval enthusiast playing computer Naval games as far back as the days of the commodore 64 one such game gave me the opportunity to play my favourites ships particularly The Scharnhorst and I new quite a lot about her history and design even if I was just a amateur I also new of the German classes Dutch counterpart that was designed but never built.

It was through this game that i got to play the Dutch Battlecruisers sadly i cant show you a screen shot of the them but here is a sight for you.

Download Carriers at War - My Abandonware

This is the MS DOS version of the game.

Anyway 30 years later I started playing playing WOWS, Scharnhorst came along and what a sight to behold is this great ship.

But now the opportunity arose that might see the Dutch version and for 5 years I and many others waited but no sign.

So on the 29th November 2019 I issued a friendly challenge to LESTA  and put a personal noticed to a number of WG DEV's including Sub O.

The challenge was to design the Dutch Battlecruiser class 1047

Name:  Philips van Almonde

Release Date:  Four Days' Battle 2020, just to give there history buffs another challenge  I didn't tell them what the actual date was.

Price: FREE XP with me paying one million while the rest of the community would get the ship a price for for its Tier size.

Here is my original post

To see both ships clash on the high sea's would be a  glorious sight to witness.

Scharnhorst - Tier VII Premium German Battleship Stream Preview

Image result for dutch battlecruiser

Sadly my challenge to WG has not been taken up and today marks the 354th Anniversary Of The Four Day's Battle, I would have even accepted a announcement by WG today saying that the Dutch ship is being designed and tested internally but not to be.

Guess the spread sheet says that if its under tier 7 it wont make money and history does not count. 

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 10
  • Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,441 posts
3,825 battles

Thumbs up for remembering the C64 :cap_win:

The ship is a nice adition for fleshing out another Pan-E line

• Cool 1

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
661 posts
6,278 battles

Forget it.  Azur Lane has more nods to history now, and it's a very poorly disguised anime harem game.  

• Haha 1

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
515 posts
5,022 battles
9 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Thumbs up for remembering the C64 :cap_win:

The ship is a nice adition for fleshing out another Pan-E line

And another thumbs up for a Strategic Studies Group screen shot. Memories. :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
26 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Well people have probably read the title of the post and thought what is this all about, so let me give you some background,

First about The 354th Anniversary Of The Four Day's Battle, Philips van Almonde and the challenge. 

The Four Days' Battle, also known as the Four Days' Fight in some English sources and as Vierdaagse Zeeslag in Dutch was a naval battle of the Second Anglo-Dutch War. it began off the Flemish coast and ended near the English coast. It remains one of the longest naval engagements in history. The Dutch accounts refer to its dates as 11 June to 14 June 1666 using the New Style calendar.The Dutch inflicted significant damage on the English fleet which lost ten ships in total, with over 1,000 men killed including two vice-admirals, Sir Christopher Myngs and Sir William Berkeley, while almost 2,000 English were taken prisoner including a third vice-admiral George Ayscue. Dutch losses were four ships destroyed by fire and over 1,550 men killed, including Lieutenant Admiral Cornelis Evertsen, Vice Admiral Abraham van der Hulst and Rear Admiral Frederik Stachouwer.  the result was a clear Dutch victory,

Philips van Almonde

Philips van Almonde (29 December 1644 – 6 January 1711) was a Dutch Lieutenant Admiral, who served in his nation’s maritime conflicts of the 17th and early 18th centuries.

The challenge 

I have been a life long Naval enthusiast playing computer Naval games as far back as the days of the commodore 64 one such game gave me the opportunity to play my favourites ships particularly The Scharnhorst and I new quite a lot about her history and design even if I was just a amateur I also new of the German classes Dutch counterpart that was designed but never built.

It was through this game that i got to play the Dutch Battlecruisers sadly i cant show you a screen shot of the them but here is a sight for you.

Anyway 30 years later I started playing playing WOWS, Scharnhorst came along and what a sight to behold is this great ship.

But now the opportunity arose that might see the Dutch version and for 5 years I and many others waited but no sign.

So on the 29th November 2019 I issued a friendly challenge to LESTA  and put a personal noticed to a number of WG DEV's including Sub O.

Release Date:  Four Days' Battle 2020, just to give there history buffs another challenge  I didn't tell them what the actual date was.

Price: FREE XP with me paying one million while the rest of the community would get the ship a price for for its Tier size.

Here is my original post

To see both ships clash on the high sees would be a  glorious sight to witness.

Sadly my challenge to WG has not been taken up and today marks the 354th Anniversary Of The Four Day's Battle, I would have even accepted a announcement by WG today saying that the Dutch ship is being designed and tested internally but not to be.

Guess the spread sheet says that if its under tier 7 it wont make money and history does not count. 

I had that DOS game and it looked so cool.  I bought Silent Service 2 from GOG and it was still cool.  Much better sub game then what WG has done.

The Dutch should have a special camo, when you sink a ship a broom appears on the mast!

Phillips DeRourter (bad spelling) she he sweepes the seas of British ship he would put a broom on his mast 

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

I blame @Lert for this! We all know the super testers just magically conjure up a ship, sail it around for few weeks, then it's made available to the rest of us. So Lert should have been sailing around a Dutch Battlecruiser so it could be ready for now...  :Smile_trollface:

( Lol Just JK I know how the dev and testing process works in reality.)

• Confused 2

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,808 battles
12 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

An alternative date could be the starting date of Raid on the Medway,9 June. Must have been one of the biggest naval surprises in history :fish_book:.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_the_Medway

Thanks for the link very good read :Smile_honoring:

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,808 battles
21 minutes ago, SkullCowboy_60 said:

And another thumbs up for a Strategic Studies Group screen shot. Memories. :cap_like:

Memory lane :Smile_great:

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,808 battles
28 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

I had that DOS game and it looked so cool.  I bought Silent Service 2 from GOG and it was still cool.  Much better sub game then what WG has done.

The Dutch should have a special camo, when you sink a ship a broom appears on the mast!

Phillips DeRourter (bad spelling) she he sweepes the seas of British ship he would put a broom on his mast 

Those were the days MS DOS  what memories

Members
271 posts
5,108 battles
53 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

I didn't even know there was a SIlent Hunter 2

I grew up playing the original with my dad

Good times... though the engine noises were a little harsh at ahead flank (4 on the speed wheel) :cap_fainting:

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,158 posts
19,011 battles

This thread sparks joy.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,808 battles
14 minutes ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

Good times... though the engine noises were a little harsh at ahead flank (4 on the speed wheel) :cap_fainting:

I think I have both silent service and hunter there in a box somewhere, cant play them got no machine but keep them for nostalgic reasons.

cheers  

• Thanks 1

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,808 battles
14 minutes ago, Lert said:

This thread sparks joy.

Glad you like it would have been a whole better if design 1047 was released today, still its brought out some blasts from the past game memories :Smile_honoring: 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,158 posts
19,011 battles
3 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Glad you like it would have been a whole better if design 1047 was released today, still its brought out some blasts from the past game memories :Smile_honoring: 

1047 is one of my favorite designs. It brings together a lot of potential great and fun design elements. I've done two elaborate write-ups on her, one as T6 Battleship, one as T9 Super Cruiser. And she's beautiful, too.

1047 will always have a soft spot in my heart.

Members
3,100 posts
6,691 battles
1 hour ago, Ann_Darrow said:

Forget it.  Azur Lane has more nods to history now, and it's a very poorly disguised anime harem game.  

I am pretty sure they don't attempt to disguise it...

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,808 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

1047 is one of my favorite designs. It brings together a lot of potential great and fun design elements. I've done two elaborate write-ups on her, one as T6 Battleship, one as T9 Super Cruiser. And she's beautiful, too.

I looked everywhere for a screen shot from the SSG carriers at war game of the Dutch ships but could not find one and in the games manuals there none.

Even back then in commodore 64 graphics they looked tops but to see them in this game they would look superb.

To have Gneisenau, Scharnhorst and Philips van Almonde ( design 1047 ) sailing in formation in a screen shot would be a sight.

Wishful thoughts

[HINON]
Members
13,268 posts
18 minutes ago, Lert said:

I didn't realize your feline heart had any soft spots Lert. Fascinating.

LMpId0g.gif

• Funny 1

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
2 hours ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

I found a youtube channel that played there games.  Remember Secrite Weapons of the Luftwaffe?

Dont for get the gloryouse DOS sound!

• Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
4 hours ago, tm63au said:

Philips van Almonde

The challenge 

Here is my original post

To see both ships clash on the high sees would be a  glorious sight to witness.

Wjat was the name of that game?

I also played 1942 a lot.  That was about Guadalcanal

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,808 battles
6 hours ago, jags_domain said:

Wjat was the name of that game?

I also played 1942 a lot.  That was about Guadalcanal

Carriers At War created by Strategic Studies Group

The company still exists but i have not seen a game from them for years.

cheers  

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
5 hours ago, tm63au said:

Carriers At War created by Strategic Studies Group

The company still exists but i have not seen a game from them for years.

cheers  

No latter how many time I tryed Coral Sea it allways ended in stalemate.

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,808 battles
3 hours ago, jags_domain said:

No latter how many time I tryed Coral Sea it allways ended in stalemate.

The battle of Santa Cruise scenario was always a fun one, yeah I agree Coral Sea was was tough playing the Allies for me anyway.

loved getting there RUN 5 magazine quarterly with new game scenarios.

Run 5 Magazine – How SSG joined the Dragon, White Dwarf and the ...

USS Midway with SSG style Camouflage

CARRIERS AT WAR II from SSG

WOWS version

World of Warships news from devs blog - recap | MMOWG.net

Oh how graphics have come a long way.

cheers 

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
5 hours ago, tm63au said:

The battle of Santa Cruise scenario was always a fun one, yeah I agree Coral Sea was was tough playing the Allies for me anyway.

loved getting there RUN 5 magazine quarterly with new game scenarios.

Run 5 Magazine – How SSG joined the Dragon, White Dwarf and the ...

USS Midway with SSG style Camouflage

CARRIERS AT WAR II from SSG

WOWS version

World of Warships news from devs blog - recap | MMOWG.net

Oh how graphics have come a long way.

cheers 

grafix have for sure.  I think this game looks great.

Everything looks better but game play is still the same.  I think of the RTS days of 1942 or Star Wars games. Basicly anything from Lucas Art and nothing has chanced.  In some cases I thung the creative of creaters has gone backward.

Or it could just be nostalgia.

• Cool 2