Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Merc_R_Us

CV Gameplay Suggestions

16 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,955 battles

Suggestions:

- Remove Double CV games entirely.

- Reduce the interaction of CVs and DDs in some form:

• Reduce the damage done from Planes to Destroyers, Vice Versa
  • Reduce the detection of DDs from planes while proportionately reducing the damage from DD short range AA guns

- Reduce Spotting range of all planes (except spotting planes) to  9 km (All exceptions such as "detectability after firing main weapon" remain the same)

- Increase the experience gained for spotting by increasing the experience received and/or reducing the time a ship must be dark before being able to receive the spotted ribbon

- Fighter Planes must take-off from the CV and travel to the location; subsequently, increase fighter health and armor.

- All planes (except fighters and spotting planes) now have a range maximum due to fuel:

• It can be either the same across all planes, different per type and/or by country.
  • Once fuel is spent, the planes in control will automatically return to the carrier.
  • Increased base concealment of CVs would need to be considered.
  • New Upgrade Option that could increase the fuel range.

- Add a AA repair priority interface into battles for BBs and Heavy CAs

• When accessed, ship captains can select which AA guns should be restored
  • Maximum times this can be done is limited
  • Cannot be done automatically

- Add ability to manual control flak AA guns, similar to the torpedo planes

Goal:

- Improve the capability of Battleships and Heavy Cruisers to interact versus the Carrier.

- Increase the skill ceiling of Carrier, Battleship and Heavy Cruiser players.

- Reduce the interaction between Carriers and Destroyers, which may:

• Increase the role of the light cruiser to Destroyer focus
  • Increase the Destroyer vs Submarine interaction
  • Move the Carrier to a Captial Ship Counter (as was originally intended)

- Overall reduction of Carrier Spotting

Comments:

As a CV and DD main, double CV games are not fun nor are they engaging. Though admittedly I did enjoy them at first, it is truly an unfair and unenjoyable experience to at least 20 players in the match. It should never be a possibility. As a CV player, I will gladly accept this change and understand that the wait in queue will be longer if I don't switch to a different class.

I had the same thought of reducing the average damage required to obtain the Carrier emblems. The decision allows CV players to move more towards supporting their team vs being focused on farming damage. However, the main complaints of the player base is that the spotting mechanic is too strong for carriers, and that Ship interactions vs Planes is uninteresting. The suggestions can allow these players to have more control over the interaction.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 3

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,955 battles
Just now, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Give planes depth charges

I haven't played that mode but maybe a plane type that gives an idea of the location of the sub?

[-A-8-]
Members
571 posts
22,805 battles
37 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Give planes depth charges

36 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

I haven't played that mode but maybe a plane type that gives an idea of the location of the sub?

IIRC they stated with the CV rework that odd tier CVs would be returning but with differing load outs compared to even tiers to try to give some diversity to CV game play. Maybe we'll see depth charges on CVs at odd tier?

[-A-8-]
Members
571 posts
22,805 battles

Personally, as someone who plays more DD than other classes, I'm never overly bothered by a CV in the battle. The number of 2 CV battles, to me at least, seems to have fallen off a lot and when I do see them it's usually when I'm grinding through low tiers and see multiple tier 4 CVs.

For me the broken way radar works is still more of an issue as I do see multiple radar ships in most battles where as I don't see a CV in every battle.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,063 posts
19,384 battles
24 minutes ago, wildgooseman said:

IIRC they stated with the CV rework that odd tier CVs would be returning but with differing load outs compared to even tiers to try to give some diversity to CV game play. Maybe we'll see depth charges on CVs at odd tier?

I’ve seen that suggestion a couple times. I’ve mentioned it myself as well.

[NOOBS]
[NOOBS]
Beta Testers
194 posts
10,213 battles

Just like subs, they should give CV's their own battle mode. This way we could opt out from playing vs CV altogether.  If nothing else it would be proof positive of CV's popularity or lack thereof.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,606 posts
13,182 battles

I don't know why people keep harping on having a range limit on aircraft.

Realistically, aircraft had an endurance of a least a couple of hours, so had ranges of a couple of hundred miles. So, even if they have a fraction of their actual range, they would still be able cover the maps in game several times over anyway, and be able to stay up the entire 20 minutes of a match.

Gameplay wise, leaving areas at the back of the map for people to hide from CV's would generate even more passive gameplay than you see now. CV's would then be forced to pound the people actually trying to do something, removing more incentives for players to be aggressive and actually do something.

If the idea is to force CV's to move up, then you reduce the cruising speed, and adjust the boost of the aircraft so that a CV is optimal at the desired range. If the CV hangs too far back, the planes will have a lower average speed as they will run out of boost, and therefor will be able to make less attacks over a given period of time. The problem with this is, if a CV can get even closer, it would be able to generate even more sorties, and increase the amount of damage it can do.

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,955 battles
31 minutes ago, AldoRey50 said:

Just like subs, they should give CV's their own battle mode. This way we could opt out from playing vs CV altogether.  If nothing else it would be proof positive of CV's popularity or lack thereof.

From what I understand, they are in their own mode as further testing. Subs will be joining random battles soon enough.

Imagine CVs aren't being removed from the game: would my suggestions help?

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,955 battles
30 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

I don't know why people keep harping on having a range limit on aircraft.

Realistically, aircraft had an endurance of a least a couple of hours, so had ranges of a couple of hundred miles. So, even if they have a fraction of their actual range, they would still be able cover the maps in game several times over anyway, and be able to stay up the entire 20 minutes of a match.

Gameplay wise, leaving areas at the back of the map for people to hide from CV's would generate even more passive gameplay than you see now. CV's would then be forced to pound the people actually trying to do something, removing more incentives for players to be aggressive and actually do something.

If the idea is to force CV's to move up, then you reduce the cruising speed, and adjust the boost of the aircraft so that a CV is optimal at the desired range. If the CV hangs too far back, the planes will have a lower average speed as they will run out of boost, and therefor will be able to make less attacks over a given period of time. The problem with this is, if a CV can get even closer, it would be able to generate even more sorties, and increase the amount of damage it can do.

I wouldn't reference reality much in this game but I understand your points.

Keep in mind ships could hang in the back of the map now to avoid Battleship or CV attacks right now anyway, as a CV player won't try and go for the farthest target. That said, I don't think the changes would further increase static gameplay. 

I think limiting a CVs range adds a layer of consideration on where the CV player should be navigating his/her ship throughout the battle, planning ahead to navigate to certain areas depending on the next situation. This could further separate the skilled vs the unskilled.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,955 battles
1 hour ago, wildgooseman said:

Personally, as someone who plays more DD than other classes, I'm never overly bothered by a CV in the battle. The number of 2 CV battles, to me at least, seems to have fallen off a lot and when I do see them it's usually when I'm grinding through low tiers and see multiple tier 4 CVs.

For me the broken way radar works is still more of an issue as I do see multiple radar ships in most battles where as I don't see a CV in every battle.

That's interesting honestly. I think most people are having quite the opposite experience with being in a DD, at least, the CV observation.

Multiple radars is definitely very challenging but I didn't want to bring that up in this post.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,606 posts
13,182 battles
1 minute ago, Merc_R_Us said:

I wouldn't reference reality much in this game but I understand your points.

Keep in mind ships could hang in the back of the map now to avoid Battleship or CV attacks right now anyway, as a CV player won't try and go for the farthest target. That said, I don't think the changes would further increase static gameplay. 

I think limiting a CVs range adds a layer of consideration on where the CV player should be navigating his/her ship throughout the battle, planning ahead to navigate to certain areas depending on the next situation. This could further separate the skilled vs the unskilled.

Right now, there's no reason to hang back alone, and every reason not to. CV's won't attack the nearest or closest target, they're will attack the most vulnerable. Why feed squadrons into a death blob, when I can hit someone on their own. Give players an excuse to hang back, they will, even if it's the wrong thing to do. Make it something that actually has a glimmer of being a good idea, even more will do it.

It doesn't add anything to CV positioning, as the CV should be positioning itself behind a group of ships for protection, and so that it spots for them. Going off and driving into the nearest corner is counterproductive for a CV already. The goal for a CV is to minimize flying time, and maximize number of attacks made.

The last issue is mechanics, you understand that a Hak is going to use about 60 km of range or so to drop torpedoes alone against a stationary target. That doesn't include whatever range the CV's planes are supposedly restricted to. You really need to work out what that would mean when you start suggesting range limits.

Members
1,405 posts
1,852 battles
On 6/11/2020 at 8:27 AM, SgtBeltfed said:

The problem with this is, if a CV can get even closer, it would be able to generate even more sorties, and increase the amount of damage it can do.

This would make battles easy for Japanese & German carrier players, as their ships are supposed to be more aggressive. 

Beta Testers
272 posts
5,131 battles
On 6/11/2020 at 6:10 AM, Merc_R_Us said:

Suggestions:

- Remove Double CV games entirely.

- Reduce the interaction of CVs and DDs in some form:

• Reduce the damage done from Planes to Destroyers, Vice Versa
  • Reduce the detection of DDs from planes while proportionately reducing the damage from DD short range AA guns

- Reduce Spotting range of all planes (except spotting planes) to  9 km (All exceptions such as "detectability after firing main weapon" remain the same)

- Increase the experience gained for spotting by increasing the experience received and/or reducing the time a ship must be dark before being able to receive the spotted ribbon

- Fighter Planes must take-off from the CV and travel to the location; subsequently, increase fighter health and armor.

- All planes (except fighters and spotting planes) now have a range maximum due to fuel:

• It can be either the same across all planes, different per type and/or by country.
  • Once fuel is spent, the planes in control will automatically return to the carrier.
  • Increased base concealment of CVs would need to be considered.
  • New Upgrade Option that could increase the fuel range.

- Add a AA repair priority interface into battles for BBs and Heavy CAs

• When accessed, ship captains can select which AA guns should be restored
  • Maximum times this can be done is limited
  • Cannot be done automatically

- Add ability to manual control flak AA guns, similar to the torpedo planes

Goal:

- Improve the capability of Battleships and Heavy Cruisers to interact versus the Carrier.

- Increase the skill ceiling of Carrier, Battleship and Heavy Cruiser players.

- Reduce the interaction between Carriers and Destroyers, which may:

• Increase the role of the light cruiser to Destroyer focus
  • Increase the Destroyer vs Submarine interaction
  • Move the Carrier to a Captial Ship Counter (as was originally intended)

- Overall reduction of Carrier Spotting

Comments:

As a CV and DD main, double CV games are not fun nor are they engaging. Though admittedly I did enjoy them at first, it is truly an unfair and unenjoyable experience to at least 20 players in the match. It should never be a possibility. As a CV player, I will gladly accept this change and understand that the wait in queue will be longer if I don't switch to a different class.

I had the same thought of reducing the average damage required to obtain the Carrier emblems. The decision allows CV players to move more towards supporting their team vs being focused on farming damage. However, the main complaints of the player base is that the spotting mechanic is too strong for carriers, and that Ship interactions vs Planes is uninteresting. The suggestions can allow these players to have more control over the interaction.

REMOVE CV ABILITY TO SPOT FOR THEIR TEAM...PERIOD  or give them a squadron of spotting aircraft which have no offensive ability which limits what other aircraft squadrons they can carry 

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,955 battles
10 hours ago, VII_Legion_Astartes said:

REMOVE CV ABILITY TO SPOT FOR THEIR TEAM...PERIOD  or give them a squadron of spotting aircraft which have no offensive ability which limits what other aircraft squadrons they can carry 

I personally think that's too drastic of a step that they would take. A good medium at this point would be to have fighters fly to the location versus just spontaneously arriving at the spot. This increases as a chances that they can be shot down and CV players will have to take that into consideration. 

[PLANK]
Members
57 posts
13,087 battles

in t9 & 10 a dd heading to a cap has little chance against a cv, unless it's a halland.  I'm gonna look for some youtube videos on how to dd against cv's. I am not doing well with it.

Sign in to follow this