You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: The New Daily Chains

13 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles

Ok, so the PTS was misleading on the new order. It gave us daily chains with no reliance on winning the battle, but that was just to make it tolerable to play and lose Random/Sub battles. When it went live it was basically the same thing as before: i.e.

1) 250 base XP in a single battle, win or lose.

2) 500 base XP over any number of battles, win or lose.

3) to 6) 1000, 1100, 1200 and 1300 base XP over any number of VICTORIOUS battles.

However, it seems the structure has taken a significant shift. Previously the rewards used to vary on a daily basis, albeit in a somewhat predictable fashion; e.g. missions 1 and 4 would always give 1000 ship XP to the ship that completed them. 

Now it looks like the reward is going to be the same every day...

image.thumb.png.162c298c2940348341293221580fbac1.png

...however, let's do the math. Under the old system, there were six days in every month on which 2000 ship XP was handed out: 4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29... or five for February except in leap years. So that was 6 x 12 = 72, minus 1 in non-leap years, or 142,000 extra ship XP to be had, over and above what you grind.

Now it looks as though there's going to be 500 every day, and for non-leap years that's 365 x 500 = 182,500, or 183,000 in leap years. 

Instead of finishing 3, 9 and 20 chains of 3 missions a day, we finish numbers of individual missions (six per day, remember) to get the stage rewards for the month: 

image.thumb.png.f1bce4d8a0c67c7557503fa62742f0b3.png

(July's reward and requirement figures are greater because they cover the whole month, and it's longer by a day, while the new system only came into being partway through June.)

I think I'm going to like this new system. It wipes away the frustration of not having enough time every night to complete all six missions to finish both chains. Now even if I finish just four or five, all of my effort is still counted across the entire month (albeit I will not get that night's completion prize).

Things to note:

1) We will still be getting free port slots, albeit only two a month instead of three.

2) With an average 30 days in the month, it takes finishing only the first three missions every day to get all the rewards for that month. In fact, you could play randoms the whole time and NEVER WIN, and you would STILL get all the rewards (except maybe in February) because the first two missions are independent of winning and 30 x 2 = 60.

Now don't get me wrong; I don't advocate going out and recklessly throwing random battles one after another... but we all have those nights where the first two or three battles are fantastic and the rest are garbage. However, the other person this benefits is the one who's got time for no more than a couple of random battles every night to guarantee their 250 and 500 ship XP. Beforehand, those people would have been left out in the cold, unable to complete any chains at all. Now they have a chance of getting everything. 

I know the steel is likely a temporary thing during this current dockyard event, but even so, I'll take it while I can get it.

Well done, WG; you've knocked this one out of the park. Just...

image.thumb.png.4234d725548db69cd9480d8aa04aaf05.png

...don't change too much, okay? :cap_like:

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 6
  • Thanks 4

Members
1,595 posts
25,085 battles

I've been Randoming the first two missions for several months. It helped push Izumo to the end of the road for Yamato. It is a little more relaxing knowing the wins aren't necessary. After the first two, I switch to Co-op and get a first-win bonus on all my none-elite boats. Usually around the time I finish the dailies I'm within a game or two of my second container for the day. After I get that, I'm done. It's a relaxing pace, to be sure.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,575 posts
8,553 battles

I agree.  It also gets rid of the Type 1, 2, 5 camo gifts.

As you noted, WG now also gives you partial credit.  Before, finishing 5 daily missions was no better than finishing 3.  You only got credit for 1 daily mission chain.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

I am happy about getting 22 Steel each day for who knows how long. ( I get +10% Steel earned thanks to Clan bonuses.)  Which could come out to 8,030 Steel per year if you played every days which I will not end up seeing that high of a figure as I don’t play every day of the year. But it will make up for some Steel I fell short of in Ranked and Clan Battle this past season.

And I am sure the new daily Steel rewards will help other players as well. Just hopefully there is still Steel at Christmas in the Snowflakes, keep the same Steel rewards in Ranked and Clan battles, and retain the Steel reward chances in Super containers making this daily Steel a true supplement to other sources.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I am happy about getting 22 Steel each day for who knows how long.

They said "during Summer", so the steel lasts as long as the sun shines in St Pete's. :Smile_trollface:

I doubt I'll ever get enough steel together for another ship. Doesn't matter; the ones I wanted and didn't get are all going to be for coal eventually anyway. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,726 posts

We'll see how these work out over time. 

In the old system, when it was paying out credits or XP, I would make sure I completed steps with ships that would complete missions.  

Now, things seem a lot more jumbled together -- so I can't as readily focus the XP payout on a ship that needs XP for grinding, the FXP on a ships that counts against a mission, the credits on a different ship that counts against a different mission. etc.  

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles
2 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Now, things seem a lot more jumbled together -- so I can't as readily focus the XP payout on a ship that needs XP for grinding, the FXP on a ships that counts against a mission, the credits on a different ship that counts against a different mission. etc.  

While I see your point, the nett gains seem higher and a way it's good that they are all up front. I know you're primarily a co-op player and can rely on almost every battle being a victory (we are all super-unicum in co-op, LOL), but a Randoms main who's having a bad night will be very pleased that they can grab all the XP, CXP and FXP without having to tear their hair out.

I know it would be nice to separate out the Unique Upgrade FXP grinds from the lower-tier XP grinds, but on balance I feel the new system offers more gains in a more flexible manner. 

Members
58 posts
1,565 battles
14 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

We'll see how these work out over time. 

In the old system, when it was paying out credits or XP, I would make sure I completed steps with ships that would complete missions.  

The steps are still there, but they've added more complexity.

You can readily manage the 6 base steps the same way as before, because they're done in done in order. But the rewards for multiple step completions are now more complex and more flexible.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,726 posts
1 minute ago, Mawz77 said:

The steps are still there, but they've added more complexity.

You can readily manage the 6 base steps the same way as before, because they're done in done in order. But the rewards for multiple step completions are now more complex and more flexible.

Some of yesterday's steps were more mixed than in the past, there was one with XP, FXP, and CXP all together.  

Like I said, we'll see how it works out, I'm not railing against it or anything. 

[SALVO]
Members
4,406 posts
3,801 battles

Now, the only thing missing is the possibility to use Steel to buy other stuff. As it is now, it is 25k price tag and nothing else.

I don't do clan wars, I don't do rank beyond 10 preciselly because don't have any use for steel

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles
1 minute ago, ArIskandir said:

Now, the only thing missing is the possibility to use Steel to buy other stuff. As it is now, it is 25k price tag and nothing else.

IIRC they are selling shiny (literally, shiny) permacamos for Shimakaze, Des Moines (I think) and Yamato for 10K steel apiece. Whether you want to spend that on a T10 permacamo with the usual T10 bonuses is up to you. I consider steel sufficiently scarce that I'm happier to find the money for a standard permacamo. 

[SALVO]
Members
4,406 posts
3,801 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IIRC they are selling shiny (literally, shiny) permacamos for Shimakaze, Des Moines (I think) and Yamato for 10K steel apiece. Whether you want to spend that on a T10 permacamo with the usual T10 bonuses is up to you. I consider steel sufficiently scarce that I'm happier to find the money for a standard permacamo. 

Atm I not interested on playing T10. The permacamo looks useful but the price tag is still high for what it is, it would be at least 3 ranked seasons to net that much steel. I would gladly trade mine for coal, that thing has a lot of uses.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

They said "during Summer", so the steel lasts as long as the sun shines in St Pete's. :Smile_trollface:

I doubt I'll ever get enough steel together for another ship. Doesn't matter; the ones I wanted and didn't get are all going to be for coal eventually anyway. 

Well it will still help me get my next Steel ship, then again the next regular season of Ranked would do it even without these daily Steel rewards. So I am getting what I want either way. (1,600 Steel is really not that much of an amount to be lacking so it will be easy enough to obtain one way or another.)