You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017

Does French BBs actually have any weakness?

28 comments in this topic

Members
561 posts
2,178 battles

I feel the whole line is a money grabber attempt.

Armor: I couldn't remember last time I cit a French BB. The armor seemed to be better than German BBs

Fire: Not nearly as combustible as most Japanese "one hit ignition" BBs.

Speed: Ridiculously fast. It breaks the game practically.

Turn radius: quite small, outshine every single IJN BB of the same tier.

Firepower: maybe not IJN good, but still the quantity makes up for the slightly smaller caliber. Oh and quad [edited]mount, I flee at the sight of a French BB if I'm CA.

This whole line is stupidly game-breaking. WG really should implement filters where players can filter out Frenchships and CVs etc.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 3
  • Meh 3

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
90 posts
9,604 battles

It's lined with 32mm armor. It eats HE and Venz shells all day, and is a major weakness if you ask me. Their speed is their asset, and their guns are (mostly) reliable.

The turtle back will keep most shells from citadel unless you come in at a high angle, or close enough to pen through her side armor belt to the citadel.

• Cool 2

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

Well the only downside I can see so far is the lack of park benches like the French cruisers. 

They could be there but I can't locate them, as I can only zoom in so far in port. 

• Haha 2

[GGWP]
Members
7,589 posts
17,969 battles
15 minutes ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

I feel the whole line is a money grabber attempt.

Armor: I couldn't remember last time I cit a French BB. The armor seemed to be better than German BBs

Speed: Ridiculously fast. It breaks the game practically.

Turn radius: quite small, outshine every single IJN BB of the same tier.

Firepower: maybe not IJN good, but still the quantity makes up for the slightly smaller caliber. Oh and quad [edited]mount, I flee at the sight of a French BB if I'm CA.

This whole line is stupidly game-breaking. WG really should implement filters where players can filter out Frenchships and CVs etc.

You forgot the lack of a helicopter on repub as well. But you should probably start a new thread for that one too. 

Edited by Ducky_shot

[BUOY]
Members
1,348 posts
16,909 battles

Lower than average health, 32mm everywhere, smaller calibre guns that tend to bounce, overpen, or are subject to wonky quad turret dispersion... French BB's are good, but they certainly aren't invincible.

[_PBR_]
Members
13 posts
3,275 battles

In my opinion, I don't play the French battleships only because their guns are hard to operate.

Members
590 posts
5,040 battles
20 minutes ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

Under the front second turret near the water line. Aim there, you should.

[SVF]
Members
1,870 posts
2,439 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Well the only downside I can see so far is the lack of park benches like the French cruisers. 

They could be there but I can't locate them, as I can only zoom in so far in port. 

Heh.  Alsace has 2 park benches on each side of her X turret and 2 more benches on each side of the rearward superstructure;  JB and Richie don't have any; Lyon has 2 benches on each side of her forward superstructure as well as 2 more under the barrels of her Y turret, and 2 benches under P turret's barrels; Normandie has one bench on her forward superstructure just in front of P turret, two benches behind P turret, and two underneath the barrels of her X turret; Bretagne doesn't seem to have any; Courbet's A Hull has one underneath Y turret's barrels; Turrene's A Hull has one bench underneath X turret's barrels and one on each side of the rearmost superstructure.

Edit:  Bourgogne has 2 on each side of her rearward superstructure as well as 2 on each side of her X turret; Gascogne has no benches; Republique has two on each side of her rearward superstructure as well as two benches in between her rearmost twin 57mm AA mounts.

Edited by landcollector

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

32mm at best plating = toasty BB. The accuracy is also the worst out of any nation.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

@landcollector Wow! Well I play the game on a MSI gaming laptop and can't zoom in enough in port to see those benches. Amazing. 

Do you know if other nations did anything similar (IRL)? 

[SVF]
Members
1,870 posts
2,439 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

@landcollector Wow! Well I play the game on a MSI gaming laptop and can't zoom in enough in port to see those benches. Amazing. 

Do you know if other nations did anything similar (IRL)? 

Unfortunately, I do not know.

Members
282 posts
1,530 battles

As someone who frequently drives a Dunkerque I can categorically say that she’s a pretty strong and even OP ship unless you do any of the following things, which are guaranteed to get her sunk:

• show her broadside to the enemy
  • show her stern to the enemy 
  • show her bow to the enemy
  • show her hull to the water
  • show her blueprints to a shipbuilder 
  • show her photo to a cat

Other than these few highly situational things she’s absolutely game breaking and WG needs to sweep everything else off their desk and nerf this monster immediately.

• Funny 3
  • Haha 4

[-OG-]
Members
288 posts
9,337 battles

The french fries are often on fire. They often have small-calibre guns. Their accuracy is often lacking. When they get large guns they get few of them. They have an obsession with quadruple turrets meaning its easy to take most of their armament out of the fight with a solid shot. They don't have the greatest AA. They're fast but only for a limited time. They are covered in 32mm of armour. Despite having long-range secondaries Frenchies are terrible brawlers. Very vulnerable to HE spam. Have non-existent deck armour. They are covered in 32mm of armour. Overmatched by Yamato's from every angle. Can't push objectives effectively. Oh! And did I mention that they are covered in 32mm of armour?

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

JB and Dunker makes a good breakfast on weekdays. 

On a side note, Henri is now mine... 

Members
12,615 posts
14,320 battles
2 hours ago, _Prometh3us said:

It's lined with 32mm armor. It eats HE and Venz shells all day, and is a major weakness if you ask me. Their speed is their asset, and their guns are (mostly) reliable.

The turtle back will keep most shells from citadel unless you come in at a high angle, or close enough to pen through her side armor belt to the citadel.

Republique can eat fits if you hit them side on near the forward turret there is a nice weak spot I have hit their citadel serve all times.Not sure if a Cruiser could score citadels that way, but certainly BB AP shells can do it. You do have to to be close enough to accurately aim to score such citadel hits though. Longer range you can still do it but not as reliably.

Has been months since I last got onto a fight to do this technique so WG may or may not have changed things, but odds are it would still work.

Rest of the French BBs it’s pretty much the standard rules for most ships with citadels of don’t get 45° side on hits.

[SPTR]
Members
27,596 posts
17,896 battles

they all have thin outer skin so if a 152mm armed cruiser has IFHE? they  just eat on their HP points, 203mm armed cruisers can spam HE on all french BB regardless of their tier to easily pad their damage.

oh and their secondary mounts tend to get easily destroyed 

[TDRB]
Members
5,329 posts
13,743 battles
1 hour ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

As someone who frequently drives a Dunkerque I can categorically say that she’s a pretty strong and even OP ship unless you do any of the following things, which are guaranteed to get her sunk:

• show her broadside to the enemy
  • show her stern to the enemy 
  • show her bow to the enemy
  • show her hull to the water
  • show her blueprints to a shipbuilder 
  • show her photo to a cat

Other than these few highly situational things she’s absolutely game breaking and WG needs to sweep everything else off their desk and nerf this monster immediately.

You left out rough seas can cause you soufflé to fall.

• Funny 2

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles
41 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

they all have thin outer skin so if a 152mm armed cruiser has IFHE? they  just eat on their HP points, 203mm armed cruisers can spam HE on all french BB regardless of their tier to easily pad their damage.

oh and their secondary mounts tend to get easily destroyed 

Main battery mounts too. It's utterly hilarious how easy it is to permanently destroy all the main guns on a Riche, Jean, or Repub.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,555 posts
6,443 battles
16 hours ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

False.  All ships have the same innate fire resistance as their same tier peers, assuming top hull is equipped.  Upgrades and captain skills can further increase fire resistance, but that is player choice and for a long time the most effective builds for all BBs have been durability builds that maximize fire resistance.  Secondary builds may be fun for some, but they are statistically less effective.