Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Meat shield

6 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
5,392 posts
16,221 battles

Took my Vasteras into a sub game (3 non-sub humans per team) and was cruising ahead of a human french CL. Spotted an enemy BB and my attack angles were all wrong so I made a hard left hand loop to pass behind the CL (away from the enemy). Suddenly a  swarm of torps from an unspotted Fubuki appear, aimed at the CL but I was right there too. No gaps to shoot for. So I steered bow into the CL and let him block all the torps. He died of course. I lived to keep fighting in a loss.

How common is using a teammate as a shield?

Hmm, just noticed my wording. People that play subs are sub-humans.. Rest are non-sub-humans.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,586 posts
15,728 battles

I’d say everyone at some time has grabbed a volunteer to stop a wall of skill. Purposely or inadvertently.

[CVA16]
Members
5,392 posts
16,221 battles
37 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I’d say everyone at some time has grabbed a volunteer to stop a wall of skill. Purposely or inadvertently.

I know I've had it happen before where somebody else took torps for me. And I have used hulks as shields. But this is the first time I remember actually intentionally using an ally as a shield. Of course, to be fair, those were his torps as I was unspotted.

[PVE]
Members
6,178 posts
22,432 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

Took my Vasteras into a sub game (3 non-sub humans per team) and was cruising ahead of a human french CL. Spotted an enemy BB and my attack angles were all wrong so I made a hard left hand loop to pass behind the CL (away from the enemy). Suddenly a  swarm of torps from an unspotted Fubuki appear, aimed at the CL but I was right there too. No gaps to shoot for. So I steered bow into the CL and let him block all the torps. He died of course. I lived to keep fighting in a loss.

How common is using a teammate as a shield?

Hmm, just noticed my wording. People that play subs are sub-humans.. Rest are non-sub-humans.

Was there a chance the CL could have dodged the torps had you not rammed him & stopped/slowed him down?

You did say you were spotted by the enemy BB...are you sure those torps were meant for the CL?

Using a teammate that is destined to take the torps anyway for a meat shield is acceptable but causing a teammate that could have easily dodged torps to take them is frowned upon.

Don't quite have all the data to make a clear decision.

[CVA16]
Members
5,392 posts
16,221 battles
3 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Was there a chance the CL could have dodged the torps had you not rammed him & stopped/slowed him down?

You did say you were spotted by the enemy BB...are you sure those torps were meant for the CL?

Using a teammate that is destined to take the torps anyway for a meat shield is acceptable but causing a teammate that could have easily dodged torps to take them is frowned upon.

Don't quite have all the data to make a clear decision.

Nope, the CL was dead center of the spread with torps off either end that would have hit me.  I was looking for a DD sized gap and there was none.  I was spotting the BB and needed to avoid losing him (and the chance for a torp attack) behind an island. I wasn't spotted by the Fubuki until after I spotted the torps.  I think his shadow was my only way out and at most I altered which torps hit him, I can't remember but I think I impacted him a moment  after the torps hit.. 

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles
4 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

There are times when 2 ships try to occupy the same spot at the same time to avoid torpedoes and one of the 2 eat a bunch of torpedoes.

I've been on both side of that coin.

Sign in to follow this