You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MasterCommander_spades

Revitalizing the Original Premium Ship, Atago

10 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
8,702 battles

Hello fellow captains, I would like to address a topic that has been on my mind for some time now regarding Atago. She was the first premium to be released into the game and has remained relatively unchanged for many years, excluding the buff the IJN cruiser accuracy. While the game progressed, we have seen many ships come and go, ever-changing with the different meta every patch. Atago remained prevalent for much of the game, arguably due to her heal and/or her HE. However, I have come to notice that she is beginning to slip lower and lower in her overall ranking. I will admit that I am looking at her all-time data which has a plethora of battles compared to other tier eights. 

Atago holds a special place in the hearts of many players as being the first official premium, and she has been long overdue for a buff. While I may have my own biases toward the ship, I believe that a change to Atago's parameters would allow her to become revived in the current meta of longer-ranged cruisers. Having 15.8km range with a sixteen second reload is very annoying because it forces her captain to be closer to the action than other CAs of her tier. For example, Charles Martel can have a range of up to 17.6km, or Hipper's range of 17.7km with the appropriate module; not to mention the recent tier eight premium, KMS Mainz with 17.5km. Before you insert the counter-argument that Atago has a heal compared to those ships, or that she has better concealment, or better HE alpha and fire chance, I present the rebuttal that Atago is an IJN cruiser whose line consists of such attributes and that is what makes her unique.

Here is my proposal for a change to Atago, and it can be gone about in two different ways:

1) It is with careful consideration that I bring forth the idea that IJN cruiser Atago should be given a choice between spotter or fighter for her aircraft on the ship. This would provide a momentary range buff to the ship which would not be game breaking and would seem befitting of the line. There are other tier eight ships that can equip such as Baltimore, Clevland, and Edinburgh who give up the radar consumable for spotter aircraft. I would like to see Atago get a range increase even if it is momentary for approximately two minutes with the spotter aircraft upgrade equipped. This could possibly increase her effectiveness in-game allowing for players to kite over a larger distance so they do not lose as much health at a closer range.

2) Another possible way to go about a buff to Atago would increase her base range to something like 16.5-16.8km. This would be a base change so it would be a bigger bonus to the ship overall, and a far more favorable option, however, I can see many reservations as such. However, the argument that resides with increase her base range permanently would allow her to do her job as a kiter more effectively because she can be penned from nearly any angle. It would also further enhance her pick rate for many players because it will help her combat more ships more effectively.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, and I hope you would have a civil discussion about it in the future.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[META_]
Members
1,251 posts
16,123 battles

I love my Atago also as you can see I have over 500 games in her. I personally don't think she needs a buff, but  I'll take what I can get, lol.... Pushing her range further might give better farming opportunities but won't help winrate... And that is where she lacks if anything.... Her Dpm is her biggest flaw besides AA... I'm not saying you're not right just the way I see things pushing her further out won't help winrates.. Farming damage yes..... I've been making how to videos the last few weeks, graf zeppelin, Indomitable, skane, Mahan, z-39.... Maybe I will make an Atago video... Good luck captain. 

Screenshot_20200610-202053.png

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
8,236 posts
13,957 battles

Atago is still a good ship even after all this time. I really don't see why she would need any buffs.

• Cool 1

[5D7]
Members
142 posts
7,308 battles

Love my Atago, wish i had the plastic model kit. The only buff I personally see as reasonable is the AA suite the definitely does about nothing to even T6 planes. Other that that I actually think Zao(a tier 10) should get some of the Atago specs, like camo range and maneuverability(turning circle and speed mostly).

Members
59 posts
2,622 battles

I purchased Takao in the early February. I find her very OP if you can manage to survive to the last few minutes of a battle. She has the best torpedo firing arc among all IJN cruisers, making it easier for her to surprisingly attack BBs. However, when put in a TX battle, Takao is really vulnerable, since most cruisers and ALL battleships can shoot longer than her. In many cases, Takao gets citadelled easily after being spotted, without having a chance to shoot it back. Last week, I went in a battle where I met another Takao player. Guess what? I died just after he did, and then we were the only two players to die in the battle. 

Thus, I think when she runs into a TX battle, a slight buff in her range (16.6 km) or reloading time (13.7 s) is OK. 

Members
116 posts
1,464 battles

Personally I think she borders on strong as is. She chonks 5-8k salvos off T6,7 BBs and any American, British or French BBs above T8. Her AP is underrated to an extent, I can't tell you how many times I get into a fight with an enemy Atago or Takao and THEY NEVER SWITCH TO AP. at 12km or less her AP can still citadel most cruisers showing full broadside. The amount of alpha she can put out on DDs makes them turn tail and run when they see you are shadowing your friendly DD. Even her AA, with fighter plane up you can be a pesky thorn to even T8 CVs, sure T10 CVS can dunk on you but they can do that to everyone else too. Her heal makes her amazing imo, the IJN cruisers always struggle with sustain and at T8 her ability to heal a lot of random damage can help me turn the tables on most matchups. Sure her range is anemic but she still handles well, and when kiting, you go at 1/2 speed and turn you can watch their shells blap the water in front of you instead.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,522 posts
10,532 battles

I've got the Takao.
I like her.

As the Takao is an Arpeggio of Blue Steel variation of Atago, and the ships share performance specifications, my experience with the Takao indicates that she is a "gud 'bote" and that she is doing fine as is.

Messing with premium ships is not to be done lightly.

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
205 posts
4,615 battles

Stern first, slightly angled, 19 points commander with DE --> Atago shines.. even when uptiered. She is the only Tier VIII cruiser that I will play (along with Prinz which I recently bought) just because she has a heal, and heals are good.

Of all Japanese cruisers the only which could use a buff is Zao, tbh. Maaaybe Aoba because she doesn't feel as a improvement over Furutaka, if anything, she feels like a uptiered Furutaka without the ridiculous armor.

[THREE]
Members
2,402 posts
13,217 battles

Hey

The only thing I would change to the Atago/Takao is the reload, give it a 2 second buff to reload and she would be just fine with todays meta.  She is a dangerous boat for those who know how to play it but it has seen some power creep, still a reasonably well balanced boat overall.  Wargaming did it's homework with this one.

Pete