Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Ahab1776

Submarine acronym

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,828
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,067 posts
19,434 battles
6 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

That depends, SS is a regular sub, SSN are the big boomers.

I am betting SS.

If I remember correctly SS was the WW2 designation 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,353
[WORX]
Members
13,262 posts
20,124 battles
1 minute ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

If I remember correctly SS was the WW2 designation 

Before nukes and intercontinental missiles yes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
70
[ABCD3]
Members
524 posts
15,037 battles

SS during WWII from an old salt that corrected me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
83
[TF16A]
[TF16A]
Members
506 posts
9,196 battles
25 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

That depends, SS is a regular sub, SSN are the big boomers.

I am betting SS.

The N in SSN means that it is Nuclear powered.  SSN for fast attack and SSBN for Ballistic Missile Sub (i.e. big boomers)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,353
[WORX]
Members
13,262 posts
20,124 battles
1 minute ago, DanielLeary said:

The N in SSN means that it is Nuclear powered.  SSN for fast attack and SSBN for Ballistic Missile Sub (i.e. big boomers)

I am under the impression if its a Nuke sub its a Boomer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
125
[BB-57]
Members
406 posts
15,604 battles
27 minutes ago, DanielLeary said:

The N in SSN means that it is Nuclear powered.  SSN for fast attack and SSBN for Ballistic Missile Sub (i.e. big boomers)

This...:Smile_great:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,584
[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,280 battles
27 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I am under the impression if its a Nuke sub its a Boomer...

Nah, "boomer" just means it carries ballistic missiles (it can make a BIIIIG boom). Really though I think "SS" will be pretty uncommon since "subs" is so easy to say and type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
239
[WOLFC]
Members
259 posts
10,459 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

I am betting SS.

I am betting on this $$   :Smile_smile:

Edited by JBR40
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,631
[PVE]
Members
8,504 posts
24,600 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

I am under the impression if its a Nuke sub its a Boomer...

Not if it's just nuclear powered & doesn't have the nuclear arsenal...although I'm guessing those are few & far between.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,353
[WORX]
Members
13,262 posts
20,124 battles

 

1 minute ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Not if it's just nuclear powered & doesn't have the nuclear arsenal...although I'm guessing those are few & far between.

I looked it up, it just says because it has ICBMs its a boomer... But then, Nuke subs are the only subs big enough to carry ICBMs.

Then there I go making the argument, SSN/Nuke subs are boomers simply because they're the only subs BIG enough to carry ICBMs... 

Its this what came first the chicken or the egg situation ?:Smile_veryhappy:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
359
[WOLFC]
Members
543 posts
9,527 battles
On 6/10/2020 at 4:49 PM, Navalpride33 said:

 

I looked it up, it just says because it has ICBMs its a boomer... But then, Nuke subs are the only subs big enough to carry ICBMs.

Then there I go making the argument, SSN/Nuke subs are boomers simply because they're the only subs BIG enough to carry ICBMs... 

Its this what came first the chicken or the egg situation ?:Smile_veryhappy:

The only country to field conventionally powered ballistic missile submarines was the Soviet Union, with the Golf class submarines. One of these is well known as the target for Project Azorian. 

On 6/10/2020 at 3:01 PM, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Curious if the submarine acronym will be SS or SSN.

For a full list of USN classifications both past and present, this is about as good a source as you can get. Other navies use different nomenclature, but it's often close.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/index_ships_list.php

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,653
[WPORT]
Members
9,845 posts
14,336 battles
On 6/10/2020 at 6:34 PM, DanielLeary said:

The N in SSN means that it is Nuclear powered.  SSN for fast attack and SSBN for Ballistic Missile Sub (i.e. big boomers)

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,653
[WPORT]
Members
9,845 posts
14,336 battles
18 minutes ago, Nolo_00 said:

The only country to field conventionally powered ballistic missile submarines was the Soviet Union, with the Golf class submarines. One of these is well known as the target for Project Azorian. 

For a full list of USN classifications both past and present, this is about as good a source as you can get. Other navies use different nomenclature, but it's often close.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/index_ships_list.php

:cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
15 posts
1,554 battles

The Soviet Golf class submarine was not the only conventionally powered ballistic missile submarine.  Type United States SSG submarines in Google.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×