Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Thunder_Feet

Odin for PvE / Co-op

21 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
Members
456 posts
18,466 battles

Little White Mouse has done a comprehensive review on Odin, and she all but screams "Co-op mains need this ship" in the review - or that's my takeaway.

I suggest you go read it and decide for yourself.  You'll see me in this ship as quickly as I can get it without spending more dubs than necessary, I'm sure I'll have fun with it.

Edited by Thunder_Feet
link
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
30,997 posts
26,056 battles

Lots of things are viable in co-op.  I even have nc, Iowa, Missouri, Montana in secondary spec with aam2 upgrade in slot 6 if possible, because brawling is what happens 90% of the time there.  I even have Nagato, Colorado, ASHITAKA, and more BBs in secondary spec for PVE. 

Bots will conveniently put themselves on a silver platter for you.

Personal intent right now is to get her.  If you're on a tighter budget and got Tirpitz already, she's more of a luxury item.

But it depends though... It depends on how stupid the grind is going to be.  

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[WOLF8]
Members
8,126 posts
6,782 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Lots of things are viable in co-op.  I even have nc, Iowa, Missouri, Montana in secondary spec with aam2 upgrade in slot 6 if possible, because brawling is what happens 90% of the time there.  I even have Nagato, Colorado, ASHITAKA, and more BBs in secondary spec for PVE. 

Bots will conveniently put themselves on a silver platter for you.

Personal intent right now is to get her.  If you're on a tighter budget and got Tirpitz already, she's more of a luxury item.

But it depends though... It depends on how stupid the grind is going to be.  

I agree that a lot more things are viable in Coop. Case in point, I specced my Kii, of all ships, as a Secondary build, because she actually does have good Secondaries... just with a very short and stubby reach, lol. :Smile_teethhappy:

At least I get to role play the "Drive me closer so I can hit them with my sword" meme with her, lelelel. :Smile_teethhappy:

So I think Odin will be just fine in Coop.

Personally for me... I'll unfortunately gonna have to give up on her, because I'm too busy these days to have enough free time to do enough grind to get a meaningful discount on her, even with the starter pack and the two months time frame. And I don't think she's worth the 29,000 doubloons price, even with all the other goodies thrown in, especially considering that I already have Graf Spee. And both Tirpitz too, lul. :Smile_hiding:

[WOLF3]
Members
30,997 posts
26,056 battles

Some guys got hard decisions to make with Odin.  Not all are spenders like me and Tirpitz is one of the most popular Premiums ever.  Lots have her and are weighing if Odin is worth the doubloons and effort.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

At least this time there's a lot less pressure to make all the decisions up front in the first few hours of the event.

[PVE]
Members
13,978 posts
29,530 battles
14 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

At least this time there's a lot less pressure to make all the decisions up front in the first few hours of the event.

Yes and no. If you play and complete any building phases before buying/using the starter pack you can't buy/use it. So at least for that you need to decide before starting.

[WOLF7]
Members
904 posts

You know, that's why I really enjoy playing co-op. IMHO, there are no "bad" ships in co-op. The "meta" that may be affecting randoms doesn't seem to matter in the fight against the evil bot hordes. There's a niche for everything. Seems like every ship can have a chance to be good. Heck, after watching some videos of skilled players using it, I'm even considering getting a Krasny Krym! And in co-op, you get the glorious sight of battleships doing close, slow drive-bys with all their secondaries firing, big amounts of flame and smoke, it's pretty cool. Makes me wish there was a game like WoWs but with wooden sailing ships, close range cannon brawls, boarding parties, etc.

But that's off-topic. I hope I can obtain Odin and I'll proudly sail it in co-op if i do.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
904 posts

I'd like to kind of add something to my last post. I just faced an Odin in PvE for the first time. I was sailing my Farragut. The bot Odin danced and dodged torps like a ballerina. Its secondaries killed both me and a Blyskawica. Seriously, they were super deadly. I can't wait to finish these directives and use the Odin myself. Anyone else have experience facing a bot Odin? Tell us how it went.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,455 posts
10,734 battles

I was in a Riga and saw a bot Odin approaching me.

"Oh you poor little thing", as I thought to myself as I proceeded to kick its face in with my Soviet balanz AP shells.

[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Beta Testers
4,316 posts

I like it. It's not perfect but it's so much fun. It reminds me of the early Shinny horse days 

[WOLF3]
Members
30,997 posts
26,056 battles
17 hours ago, HamAndCheez said:

I'd like to kind of add something to my last post. I just faced an Odin in PvE for the first time. I was sailing my Farragut. The bot Odin danced and dodged torps like a ballerina. Its secondaries killed both me and a Blyskawica. Seriously, they were super deadly. I can't wait to finish these directives and use the Odin myself. Anyone else have experience facing a bot Odin? Tell us how it went.

The bots will dodge torps most of the time if you launch them at more than a handful of kilometers.  Depending if circumstances permit, the best form of damage dealing for most of the regular DDs is a very close range drop.  You ensure very high hit % with almost no way for the bot to evade, and max damage out.

If you're lucky, you can do such torpedo runs with high efficiency that you can dump 1 launcher to kill 1 target and proceed to kill another behind it with the 2nd launcher on the same torpedo run.  Shimakaze is more fun because she has 3 quintuple torp launchers with serious torpedo power.

Even in PVP a behemoth BB can dodge torps pretty well.  I still vividly remember from long ago when the German BB Line released.  I was in a 3 ship Division in a Tier X game.  The Div member in his Shimakaze was complaining that he couldn't hit the-then-new GK for sh*t, which he saw for the first time that game with us.  I told him GK has Hydro (I FreeXP'd to her on Day 1), and with that up she gets really nice, early torpedo warning.  Even with the brick that Tier X BBs are, they can Torpedo Beat with enough player skill, made even easier if they got Hydro.

My friend went into a rant about how stupid it was for WG to start putting Hydro on BBs.  Ahh, the innocence of 2015! :Smile_trollface:

[WOLF7]
Members
904 posts
35 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The bots will dodge torps most of the time if you launch them at more than a handful of kilometers.  Depending if circumstances permit, the best form of damage dealing for most of the regular DDs is a very close range drop.  You ensure very high hit % with almost no way for the bot to evade, and max damage out.

If you're lucky, you can do such torpedo runs with high efficiency that you can dump 1 launcher to kill 1 target and proceed to kill another behind it with the 2nd launcher on the same torpedo run.  Shimakaze is more fun because she has 3 quintuple torp launchers with serious torpedo power.

Even in PVP a behemoth BB can dodge torps pretty well.  I still vividly remember from long ago when the German BB Line released.  I was in a 3 ship Division in a Tier X game.  The Div member in his Shimakaze was complaining that he couldn't hit the-then-new GK for sh*t, which he saw for the first time that game with us.  I told him GK has Hydro (I FreeXP'd to her on Day 1), and with that up she gets really nice, early torpedo warning.  Even with the brick that Tier X BBs are, they can Torpedo Beat with enough player skill, made even easier if they got Hydro.

My friend went into a rant about how stupid it was for WG to start putting Hydro on BBs.  Ahh, the innocence of 2015! :Smile_trollface:

Well, that's kind of what I was trying to convey. Both the Blys and I got close to do our drops and the bot Odin STILL dodged every single torp. Meanwhile, tearing us up with secondaries. That particular bot Odin managed 4 kills. We still won, but it was a fun match. I happen to like co-op matches like that, where there's some interesting challenge and/or the bots don't behave like you thought they would. Anyway, I can't wait to try out the Odin for myself. 

[ARGSY]
Members
24,498 posts
18,502 battles
On 6/9/2020 at 7:46 PM, KilljoyCutter said:

the first few hours of the event.

Oh dear God, can this please end?

We had a WHOLE WEEK of the first directive in which to make a decision before the boosters even started to have an effect. The only thing you got if you pushed the button before then was the immediate delivery of the stage prizes they covered.

As for the Odin, I have a sick feeling the Agir is actually going to be the more powerful ship all round. Yes, her secondaries are shorter ranged, but she has the same guns on a healthier hull, access to slot six to boost her main battery rate of fire over that of the Odin, and complete immunity to Asashio torpedoes. 

• Boring 3

[DDCO]
[DDCO]
Members
135 posts
16,390 battles

I just got the Odin and it is good and bad at the same time. My biggest complaint is the gun's at short rng. I had a vladavostok broadside to me at 3.8km engaging a DD. I fired full broadside  and watched the dispersion do wonky thing's. only hit with 2 shell's!!  The main gun's are better at med. to longer range. They are horrible at knife fighting range. If it wasn't for the torp's on the Odin, I would have been scrap metal. As a big fan of german ship's, this was surprising. The only other german ship that I have that has this wonky dispersion is my P.E.F. 

Other than that the Odin is a hoot! Almost as much fun as my Mainz. And it is tankier than the Agir tk's to the 50mm ice breaker bow.

[WOLF3]
Members
30,997 posts
26,056 battles
8 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Oh dear God, can this please end?

We had a WHOLE WEEK of the first directive in which to make a decision before the boosters even started to have an effect. The only thing you got if you pushed the button before then was the immediate delivery of the stage prizes they covered.

As for the Odin, I have a sick feeling the Agir is actually going to be the more powerful ship all round. Yes, her secondaries are shorter ranged, but she has the same guns on a healthier hull, access to slot six to boost her main battery rate of fire over that of the Odin, and complete immunity to Asashio torpedoes. 

The pro's and con's of Odin and Agir are very different.

Agir has Super Cruiser agility, consistent gunnery.  The armor is very good... For a Super Cruiser.  30mm deck armor is servicable, the thick upper and lower armor belts provide capable angling defensive tactics.  She even has an angled deck / turtleback just behind the lower armor belt to defend the Citadel.

But she doesn't quite have that BB protection and that's most apparent with the very large 27mm bow.  At Tier IX Agir will see lots of 406mm+ armed Battleships.

- Angle too wide and you'll get BB AP Pens to the upper armor belt.

- Angle too sharply and those 406mm+ armed BBs crush the 27mm bow.

She may have fantastic protection... For a Super Cruiser... But it doesn't give the true feeling of security that a German Battleship protection scheme provides.

Odin has true German BB armor, Bismarck-class-like.  The HP is quite a bit lower than Bismarck-class, but you still got German BB protection.  While Agir has fierce secondaries, it's unavoidable that it's short while Odin has longer range.  Personally, that lets me more effectively use my German BB captains that are spec'ed for Secondaries use.

Immunity to Asashio torpedoes is meaningless in PVE.  They are quite rare to be found on the bot teams.  Hell, you hardly see Asashio played in Co-op to begin with, because the concentration of BB targets in an 8-ship Co-op team is very low compared to out in 12-ship Random teams where there's always been lots of BBs.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

It won't end as long as it's true, and it will always be true, and it will always be true.

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[WOLF8]
Members
8,126 posts
6,782 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Immunity to Asashio torpedoes is meaningless in PVE.  They are quite rare to be found on the bot teams.  Hell, you hardly see Asashio played in Co-op to begin with, because the concentration of BB targets in an 8-ship Co-op team is very low compared to out in 12-ship Random teams where there's always been lots of BBs.

Even when you do see an Asashio in the Coop, it's not like the torpedoes launched by the bot are difficult to dodge in the first place. The bots will rarely launch from stealth (only done by luck) and will let their presence known rather quickly, so it's pretty obvious when you see one and it suddenly starts turning sideways... lol.

[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Beta Testers
4,316 posts

The main reason I like the Odin over the Tirpitz in coop. My torps don't get knocked out if a bot so much as sneezes in the direction of my ship 

[WOLF3]
Members
30,997 posts
26,056 battles
8 minutes ago, Triela50 said:

The main reason I like the Odin over the Tirpitz in coop. My torps don't get knocked out if a bot so much as sneezes in the direction of my ship 

It's always a given my torpedoes on Tirpitz are winking in and out from all the incaps they suffer, and every game I have at least 1 launcher destroyed.

It's gotten to the point where I don't consider the torpedoes on Tirpitz to be of any actual benefit.  If it weren't for the cheapness of running Tirpitz because of being a Premium Ship, Bismarck is actually better.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's always a given my torpedoes on Tirpitz are winking in and out from all the incaps they suffer, and every game I have at least 1 launcher destroyed.

It's gotten to the point where I don't consider the torpedoes on Tirpitz to be of any actual benefit.  If it weren't for the cheapness of running Tirpitz because of being a Premium Ship, Bismarck is actually better.

I don't find it quite that bad, but yeah, they're fragile.  Same with the launchers on Gneis and Scharn.  

My main use for them on Tirp, if they're still working, is later in battles when there's a ship with no torps of its own that I can isolate, or as defensive weapons when the potatoes on my flank get turned into fish and chips, and I've got for example redbot BBs thinking they have me dead to rights.   

[WOLF3]
Members
30,997 posts
26,056 battles
6 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I don't find it quite that bad, but yeah, they're fragile.  Same with the launchers on Gneis and Scharn.  

My main use for them on Tirp, if they're still working, is later in battles when there's a ship with no torps of its own that I can isolate, or as defensive weapons when the potatoes on my flank get turned into fish and chips, and I've got for example redbot BBs thinking they have me dead to rights.   

The situation was a lot worse in PVP because of the HE spam focusing exclusively on the mid section, superstructure area, which is right where the torpedo launchers are sitting at.  MAM1 upgrade, PM trait, it doesn't help.

In Randoms, I learned to give a HE salvo or two with a BB into Tirpitz's superstructure area.  You want to p*ss off a Tirpitz player?  Fire BB HE there and wreck their torps, especially RN BB HE with the HUGE blast radius from each HE shell.  Take out the torps and you've literally stripped the identifying feature that made Tirpitz enticing to play.  Without them, Bismarck is superior in every way.  Bismarck's Hydro will always be there, Tirpitz's torps can be stripped away.

Even in Co-op, because of the bad concealment, Tirpitz will take the first bot salvos, often resulting in my torps "winking in and out of being incapacitated," if not outright destroyed.  Plays total havoc with torpedo reloads, or worse, if they were loaded the incap resets them, if not outright being destroyed.  The gunfire stops as the bot DDs and Cruiser players of my team show themselves, but the damage is done to Tirpitz's torp launchers.

Odin may have worse launch angles than Tirpitz for their respective torps, but Odin WILL have her torps to use later whereas my Tirpitz doesn't.

It's just real annoying.

Sign in to follow this