You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LaeticiaOkimi

Minotaur Unique Upgrade Balancing Suggestions

4 comments in this topic

[B-I-G]
[B-I-G]
Members
25 posts
10,191 battles

Minotaur is an interesting case. It has two different playstyles, smoke farming or radar DD hunting, and it might be difficult to come up with a UU that is suitable for both playstyles. After 400+ games in the Minotaur, I wanted to offer some ideas from the perspective of an improving, casual player. 

Idea 1: Short smoke or short radar

• -75% smoke duration = 28s smoke screen.
  • -75% smoke screen cool down time = 40s reload time
  • +2 smoke charges = 6 charges with SI
  •  -30% radar duration = 28s radar
  • 2 1KM radar range = 11KM radar
  • +/- some percent of main gun reload time for balancing 
  •  Slot 6, which competes with main gun reload mod 3  

Purpose: Short smoke can encourage players to use it as an escape tool rather than pure smoke-farming, while also reduces total smoke time when we add up all the charges. The purpose of longer-range radar is to provide it with greater team utility in the form of better stealth radar.  

Idea 2: Exchange main guns DPM for longer range torpedo
  • + 2 1KM torpedo range = 11KM torpedoes   
  • +/- some percent of concealment for balancing
  • Slot 6, which competes with main gun reload mod 3 

Purpose: With all the 12KM radar and CV spotting, the Minotaur's ability to stealth torp is quite diminished compared to before. Maybe we can make its torps stronger, with trade-offs in concealment or main gun. 

Idea 3: Concealment buff in exchange for DPM penalty
  • -5% concealment = 8.6KM surface detection
  • Slot 6, which competes with main gun reload mod 3 

Purpose: Concealment buff can encourage players to get closer to spot for teammates and a more comfortable stealth torpedo option. It is also a subtle buff to encourage players to take the radar option. 

Final disclaimers: I know I'm not a unicum player, so I don't pretend to know everything about the ship or the game. I don't know if any of my ideas are over/underpowered, so I welcome anyone to share their thoughts below :) 

Edit: included suggestions from replies

Edited by Russian_BaLanSe
incorporated suggestions from replies

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,346 battles

Idea 3 would give her 1.4 km of stealth radar, bad idea.

Idea: 3km of stealth torpedo radar in a ship with 16 torpedoes is in my opinion sketchy, and may end in many sink mino tryint to torp run.

idea1 : good luck hitting any dd between 10 and 12km. And again 3km stealh radar is op.

Minautor LU is good as it is imo.

• Meh 1

[B-I-G]
[B-I-G]
Members
25 posts
10,191 battles
30 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Idea 3 would give her 1.4 km of stealth radar, bad idea.

I mean, the number of radar Minotaur is already quite low with huge risks involved. Just to encourage it as an alternative playstyle with DPM trade-off. 

And again 3km stealh radar is op.

I think you might be right that 3KM is too much for any trade-off. Maybe 2KM instead (currently 0.95 KM), with radar duration & DPM trade-off. 

Idea: 3km of stealth torpedo radar in a ship with 16 torpedoes is in my opinion sketchy, and may end in many sink mino tryint to torp run.

The ZAO also has 2KM stealth torp, but that's not the dominant play either. Granted, maybe it might have to be balanced with main gun or detection nerf. 

TL; DR: I don't think stealth radar = automatically OP. At least with the Minotaur, there are huge risks involved, If not careful, you will get deleted in 15s. 

[PVE]
Members
8,507 posts
24,685 battles
1 hour ago, Russian_BaLanSe said:

I mean, the number of radar Minotaur is already quite low with huge risks involved. Just to encourage it as an alternative playstyle with DPM trade-off. 

I think you might be right that 3KM is too much for any trade-off. Maybe 2KM instead (currently 0.95 KM), with radar duration & DPM trade-off. 

The ZAO also has 2KM stealth torp, but that's not the dominant play either. Granted, maybe it might have to be balanced with main gun or detection nerf. 

TL; DR: I don't think stealth radar = automatically OP. At least with the Minotaur, there are huge risks involved, If not careful, you will get deleted in 15s. 

Both max radar & torp ranges need to stay constant per ship (torp range lessening for speed option is acceptable). Radar especially...they were sorta blanket balanced so there wasn't a lot of variances to remember for a reason. But there is also enough torp ranges to remember (& most nation's have a balanced progression to torps as the line progresses) that 1 w/a varied option will just make it too confusing to remember & give that ship an unbalanced advantage.

That being said I agree the Mino UU should have some kind of alternate abilities to encourage radar usage also so using it isn't wasted (& nerfed) if you wish to choose the radar option.

Some like to use it radar competitively & smoke in random & needing to use doubloons to dismount it for the times it just becomes a nerf w/no benefit shouldn't be a necessity in any UU.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos