You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
___V_E_N_O_M___

Odin Event directives - another painful grind or Pay2Win option

36 comments in this topic

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
3 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Looks pretty laborious to me, I definitely would not enjoy doing all this. Again WG have made the pay2win option more attractive:

https://www.wows-gamer-blog.com/2020/05/odin-dockyard-directives-1-6-missions.html?m=1

Skimming it, those appear to be the same requirements we saw weeks ago.   And with two patches to complete it, instead of less than a month.  Appears entirely reasonable.  

As for "pay to win"... what about this makes it easier to win WOWS battles by spending money? 

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 1

[ARGSY]
Members
24,433 posts
18,402 battles
5 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Looks pretty laborious to me

It could be argued that you lack determination. Buying it is always the easier option, but that's not the same as Pay 2 Win.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,046 posts
52,136 battles
7 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Looks pretty laborious to me, I definitely would not enjoy doing all this. Again WG have made the pay2win option more attractive:

https://www.wows-gamer-blog.com/2020/05/odin-dockyard-directives-1-6-missions.html?m=1

Just skimmed through the requirements.  Doesn't seem too bad.

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,328 battles

First Directive:

you got 7  easy to get (any number, coop, random, ranked, low numbers)

Second directive:

again 6 easy to get, even if some can be a little be grindy (1650 hit, 22 million potential damage and 180 100 exp are relatively high, but easy to achieve).

It ain't really grindy and a lot of them just require you to play the game.

And it was announced that you need to pay some cash for the Odin from the get go.

• Thanks 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,582 posts
17,778 battles
11 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Missions are much easier. It is less money less grind for a lesser reward compared to the PR event. This one will be more accessible to more players. 

[ARGSY]
Members
24,433 posts
18,402 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Skimming it, those appear to be the same requirements we saw weeks ago.

If this is what goes live on Wednesday, I will be a happy man. 

The bizarre irony about the PR event was that they eased the ship requirements for the 7th directive based on what we'd seen in PTS because we complained that there were too many nations required at Tier 10... and then they dropped that humungous grind on us that inflamed opinion against them even more!

Provided there are no major changes from this early reveal, clearly this time they wanted us to be absolutely clear on what we would be facing. I'll want to compare this list against the live directives before I publish it as a how-to (especially after getting my fingers burnt with PR on that score), but if they match, it will save me a whole lot of work.

However, due to the changed nature of the dailies, I'm probably going to be most of Wednesday evening figuring out exactly how to take best advantage of everything. They were trying too many things out in the PTS for it to be a reliable guide of how the new order is going to go live.

3 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

And it was announced that you need to pay some cash for the Odin from the get go.

A lot more than for the Cossack, but at least they are up-front about it.

[SYN]
Members
15,970 posts
12,803 battles

I'm not seeing any "earn 202,020,202,020 FXP" so this is far easier, IDK what you're talking about.

• Funny 1

[FFLY]
Beta Testers
77 posts
39 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Step 1 for WG to start selling steel thats all

Edited by CrazySOB187
  • Boring 1

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,328 battles
26 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

A lot more than for the Cossack, but at least they are up-front about it.

That was the main issue of the PR: they sold it as ''you can get if for free'' while you have to play the game an insane amount to do so. At least here you do not have to play to that amount, and they tell you up front that you have to pay for it. I don't think that I will buy her, but having a free Graff Spree is nice.

[SVF]
Members
1,861 posts
2,438 battles
1 hour ago, paradat said:

Missions are much easier. It is less money less grind for a lesser reward compared to the PR event. This one will be more accessible to more players. 

Easier, yes.  Worth the grind for a terrible ship?  Not in the slightest.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,582 posts
17,778 battles
2 hours ago, landcollector said:

Easier, yes.  Worth the grind for a terrible ship?  Not in the slightest.

Well sure that is up to the individual. For me the ship is very interesting looking and I will be able to do all of this with more or less normal gameplay. I just need to decide if I want to pay $14.00 or $46.00  $32.00(for the 2 k in steel) Not interested in paying anymore than that.

[WOLF5]
3,046 posts
52,136 battles

My only issue is that the end reward for this event is a Tier 8 premium.  The only tier 8 premium that I kept on my daily rotation is the Tirpitz and thats because I have the FXP perm camo on her.  All my other ships on my daily rotations are either tech tree ships I'm grinding, the Worcester since it has the Shark camo and I might as well get its LU, and my Tier 9 premiums and Tier 10 specials ships.

I grinded pretty hard, for me at least, for the Puerto Rico.  And it turned out I still had to spend 21K doubloons to get her (6K for a booster and 15K to complete).  But I did get 2K doubloons in the crate I got for completion so PR costs was a net 19K dubs.  And I had that much dubs already sitting in my account and most of them were gotten free in one way or another.  And as it turned out, I find the PR to be a damn good ship.  I enjoy playing her more than my Alaska and I think the PR is a much stronger ship in her tier that Alaska is in hers.

So my opinion is that the Odin grind will be a ton easier than the PR grind.  But for me, the reward to effort ratio of the Odin event will not be as rewarding as the PR event.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

If this Dockyard event is what it looks like now, it appears they've responded to our complaints from The Debacle. 

The tasks are more realistic.  The event runs longer.  The process is more straightforward.   There's no funny math involved in figuring out price and effort points.  

If it is what it looks like, I'm not going to slam WG for actually making the changes we wanted after The Debacle.   I don't know if I care about getting Odin, but every player can make that choice individually with the information they have in front of them here. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,330 posts
14,924 battles

The directives are definitely more reasonable than the PR ones and many of them have alternative ways to completely them. You can get the Graf Spee for free but even if you complete all of the directives you will need to fork over 3500 doubloons to complete the last couple stages for the Odin. That has been stated up front and I might actually push on this event.

[WOLF5]
3,046 posts
52,136 battles
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The directives are definitely more reasonable than the PR ones and many of them have alternative ways to completely them. You can get the Graf Spee for free but even if you complete all of the directives you will need to fork over 3500 doubloons to complete the last couple stages for the Odin. That has been stated up front and I might actually push on this event.

For me, the hardest part of this event will be whether or not to spend 3500 dubs for another tier 8 premium ship that I will rarely play.  Only exception is theTirpitz that is on my daily rotation.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,330 posts
14,924 battles
8 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

For me, the hardest part of this event will be whether or not to spend 3500 dubs for another tier 8 premium ship that I will rarely play.  Only exception is theTirpitz that is on my daily rotation.

No one but you can make that decision. I didn't push on the RU cruisers and to my surprise I got the first two ships and I didn't complete the forth directive.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,433 posts
18,402 battles
2 minutes ago, CorradoG60 said:

WG doesn't give away anything without someone paying for it.

My Vampire, Varyag, Indianapolis, Genova, London, Murmansk, Okhotnik, Hill, Siroco and Mikoyan want a word with you.

Then let's talk about my coal and FXP ships.

• Cool 4

[WOLF7]
Members
12,614 posts

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone is suffering anguish over this ship.....:Smile_amazed:

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
24,433 posts
18,402 battles
25 minutes ago, awiggin said:

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone is suffering anguish over this ship.....:Smile_amazed:

Agree. If you think it's trash, don't play for it. If you think it might fill a gap in your lineup, play to get the price down as far as possible then decide at the end if you can afford/want to pay what you worked it down to. If you think it's so great you can't do without it and 35,000 doubloons is affordable to you and worth skipping the grind, I won't stand in your way - but if you pay that much, I really REALLY hope it's everything you want it to be. Otherwise say hello to the salt factory.

[SVEN]
Beta Testers
239 posts
8,294 battles

This looks pretty easy for anyone that plays semi-regularly for any length of time.  The fact that it can be done completely in coop is the ultimate nod to those who want to play at their own pace.  I have had limited interest in randoms over the last six months outside of working on campaign missions.

Members
358 posts
5,926 battles
2 hours ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

But how is this Pay2Win? As in pull out your wallet, complete the transaction, and "win" the ship? :Smile_amazed:

We've already established Odin is a shadow of her former self, even before the nerfs I would argue she's was just on par with Tirpitz in most comparisons... that being said I'll take her for $15 if I can get the discount.

These grinds are made for those who have time on their hands especially during the summer (flashback to Benham Rogue Wave was actually pretty fun in retrospect). I'd much rather an event like this now than during tax season. Gives us something to do in the house especially when a lot of us are still quarantined.

Edited by FullMetal_Inferno

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

It's not too bad a grind given the time allotted. The main issue is there isn't any reward unless you pay(and even if you do Odin looks somewhat lackluster, not unplayable but definitely not worth the money).