Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

Salem or Thunderer

18 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
Members
1,299 posts
10,758 battles

The Ships for Resources coupon is going to be refreshed, and I am trying to decide once again which coal ship to aim for. I am a big fan of the US cruiser line, and I am finishing up my DM unique upgrade quest line. I am less of a fan of the British BB line as I am not approving of the HE play style that line establishes. Despite this, my British BB line is sitting at Lion. 

With all this being said, what should I go for: the Salem or the Thunderer? I’ve heard good things about both and the buff to cruiser armor makes the Salem a bit more enticing than before.

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles

The thunderer is awesome, it’s more like a battlecruiser because it has big guns which are very accurate but can not brawl. The salem has worse radar than des moines bur has a great heal.

personally i have thund but not salem. I have enough coal for but not sure i’ll pick salem up. If you want a des you can always play des...

read mouse for both to help decide

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,810 posts
21,758 battles

Salem is just a slightly tweaked Des Memes.

Thunderer is the most accurate BB in the game with surprisingly effective AP.

[TNG-3]
Members
59 posts
24,898 battles

The Thunderer can be a an amazing ship to play. It has Extremely accurate guns. My best games are when I use primarily AP. People seem to think you'll HE them to death and show a lot of broadside, punishing them with AP is extremely rewarding. if they show bow only, burn them to death. 

I also have Salem and while it's a good ship I'd recommend getting the Thunderer first.

Members
2,126 posts
7,633 battles

You already have Des Moines.  Salem is much the same with some minor adjustments.  She has a very nice heal but has mediocre radar.  She plays like her tech tree counterpart.

Thunderer is not typical of high tier RN battleships.  Her AP does a fantastic job deleting your chosen target.  she has a different style than Conquerer.

When I was faced with the same choice, I didn't have a Des Moines so I chose Salem.

If I already had a tier 10 heavy cruiser, I would have chosen Thunderer.

Both are fine ships and are easily worth the coal.

p.s. - Get Thunderer.  :cap_like:

[ARGSY]
Members
24,533 posts
18,537 battles

My 2 cents worth is this:

I saved up coal for the Salem at a time when I was not running premium time and tending not to throw money at permacamos. This was when the very nice service-cost reduction bonuses were well known. Getting Salem meant getting 90% of a DM and being able to flog her in co-op in an affordable fashion, without having to spend a dime on a permacamo. DM has better radar and the UU, but I'm happy with what Salem gives me (DM guns and hull with British superheal), and I will never need DM.

If you have DM, chances are you probably don't need Salem.

Thunderer means the same for me vis a vis Conqueror, even though my attitude to premium time and permacamos has since changed. I wouldn't have gone up as far as Lion if I didn't have a monster permacamo from last year's Filth event, and even then I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't give it to the wrong ship (Jutland's B hull is so much more pleasant than the A that I consider her a keeper, not just a pathway to Daring) and should have stopped at Monarch.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,299 posts
10,758 battles

Hmm I have heard Thunderer plays much differently to the British BB line. The only issue I have is I don’t want to go for one only for the other to be taken away shortly thereafter.

Members
73 posts
8,030 battles

Have both. Thunderer is a brute. I had a game a while back of 315K damage (I have never gotten anywhere near that in anything else). She's also different from the Tech tree line in that her AP is properly fused to penetrate. Salem is a gimmicky Des Moines, which is probably actually worse than her sister.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
52 minutes ago, BloodyBill_2020 said:

The Thunderer can be a an amazing ship to play. It has Extremely accurate guns. My best games are when I use primarily AP. People seem to think you'll HE them to death and show a lot of broadside, punishing them with AP is extremely rewarding. if they show bow only, burn them to death. 

I also have Salem and while it's a good ship I'd recommend getting the Thunderer first.

Thunderer HE also has enough pen to citadel a Smolensk, whereas her AP would probably overpen it.

[SCK]
Members
196 posts
24,942 battles

Thunderer and its not even close. I own both and the salem stays in the port. Never really found a reason to play her. The Salem probably isn't even a top 5 T10 cruiser, while the thunderer is top 3....if not top 2. 

Members
2,126 posts
7,633 battles
36 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

Hmm I have heard Thunderer plays much differently to the British BB line. The only issue I have is I don’t want to go for one only for the other to be taken away shortly thereafter.

Thunderer has a more unique playstyle and if WG were to remove one of them for "OP-ness", it would be her.

Salem is practically a Des Moines.  A weaker version, in fact.  It's a risk, but the safer bet would be that Salem stays.

I have both and I like Salem but Thunderer is a whole 'nother cat!  Nothing really like her except maybe Georgia.  She plays more like Warspite than KG5 or Monarch.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
22 minutes ago, Cody_The_Destroyer said:

Thunderer and its not even close. I own both and the salem stays in the port. Never really found a reason to play her. The Salem probably isn't even a top 5 T10 cruiser, while the thunderer is top 3....if not top 2. 

Salem gets a super heal, which allows her to open water gunboat better than Des Moines.  That's about the only real perk (other than increased credit income).

[SIM]
Members
5,849 posts
9,315 battles

Thunderer, no contest.

Salem is a sad ship that has not aged well. When she was introduced AA was more significant in general, super cruisers didn’t exist, and the Yamato was (IIRC) the only 457mm+ armed ship in the game. Her heal felt valuable because it made her one of the toughest cruisers in WoWs, so much so that it seemed like a worthwhile trade-off for her terrible radar. Now? She’s largely outclassed by ships like Alaska, she’s more likely to face ships that can punch her citadel in from a variety of angles, and DDs have become so devastating that effective radar can be the entire difference between a successful push and utter failure. Des Moines has better weathered these changes by merit of being a ship that wasn’t balanced around an outdated healing gimmick. 

Thunderer, on the other hand, is a mediocre-ish hull sporting eight of the nastiest guns in the game. It’s not just that she hits for lots of damage, it’s that she does so consistently. Ever get tired of your BB shells landing everywhere but on target? Thanks to her accuracy you won’t have much of a problem with that in Thunderer. 

• Cool 1

[NSC]
Members
2,352 posts

Hope you'll like whatever you end up choosing!

17 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

It's a risk, but the safer bet would be that Salem stays.

Salem has been out significantly longer (maybe ~1.5 years) than Thunderer, so I am guessing it would get pulled first. But I am not confident enough to bet either way.

Members
0 posts
5 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

The Ships for Resources coupon is going to be refreshed, and I am trying to decide once again which coal ship to aim for. I am a big fan of the US cruiser line, and I am finishing up my DM unique upgrade quest line. I am less of a fan of the British BB line as I am not approving of the HE play style that line establishes. Despite this, my British BB line is sitting at Lion. 

With all this being said, what should I go for: the Salem or the Thunderer? I’ve heard good things about both and the buff to cruiser armor makes the Salem a bit more enticing than before.

I don't have the Thunderer, though I'm sure I'd like it for the novelty value for the first 50 games or so.

But as someone who generally prefers cruisers to other classes, Salem is the only coal/steel ship I still haven't regretted getting. Some people will say that it's just a different version of the DM or even outright claim that it's just a worse DM because of its radar and lack of access to Legendary Upgrade. But the truth of the matter is, I slap around Legendary DMs for fun when it comes to 1v1 encounters.

I have a number of coal/FXP ships like the Musashi, the Nelson, the Georgia and the Alaska that I got for the novelty value, and they're all just sitting in my port right now collecting dust. So I have learned the hard way to always prioritise fun factor over novelty or "OP-ness", because that is the only thing that gives you the best cost-vs-benefit in the long run when it comes to special ships that are relatively hard to get.

If you really enjoy the US cruiser line, I feel confident advising that you should get the Salem.

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

Thunderer.   I absoutely love that ship.   The HE damage plus the fire chance makes it an amazing ship.   The downside is easy to be cit, but mainly, the long shell travel time.  You need to play a good amount of games to get use to the shell travel times

Sign in to follow this