You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AJTP89

I Just Realized Akatsuki and Akizuki Are Two Different Ships

13 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,146 posts
4,345 battles

For quite some time I had thought I was having a heck of a time remember things about the akatsuki. Was it T8 or T7? Single launcher with reload booster or several launchers without? 3 or 4 turrets. How exactly do you spell it? I would look at one in battle, remember something about it, file it away, and then the next time I encountered one (so I thought) it was different. For the past year I would just shrug it off assuming I was just terrible at remembering things. Then today looked at my minimap and saw an akatsuki AND an akizuki....wait a minute...bug or....get back to port, check tech tree...lightbulb finally goes on...yeah I'm a moron.

Turns out when WG split the tech tree they gave two very different DDs similar names, probably just to mess with people like me. One has rapid firing guns and a single launcher with reload booster. The other has crapguns but 3x3 launchers, kind of an important difference. Which would explain why I kept on getting surprised when what I thought was the gunboat suddenly dropped multiple sets on me. So yeah, my blonde moment for the day or something. I feel stupid, but at least somewhat vindicated in never being able to remember the stats of that one ship:Smile_teethhappy:

On another note, WG thought Yoshino and Yashima were too similar so they changed it, but apparently Akizuki and Akatsuki are fine? They already sound pretty similar (in English) and when you apply the usual American slurring of syllables they pretty much sound identical. Seems odd that they were fine with one really close name, but shot down another one which are actually pronounced quite differently.

Anyway, at least I know the proper name for Jingles' cat now.

• Funny 7

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,918 battles

Halleluya, WF has produced a 'miracle'. A blind one has gotten 'sight'. To authenticate this WF miracle you'd better send details to St Vladimir (Poutine) for immediate 'cannonization' :Smile_medal:.

• Cool 1

[BOMBL]
Members
1,236 posts
16,566 battles

Didn’t WG change the name of the new steel IJN BB so that it wouldn’t be confused with another bb? One of those dds need a change of name. I have to do a tier check to differentiate 

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,327 posts
12,989 battles

No ship needs a name change. To say the least it's good excercise for the mind and good counter intelligence otherwise. Besides, it's historically and socially accurate. 

Besides: Akat and Aki not only sound different, but Suki, and Zuki also sound different in English grammar. The only similarity is the A & K.

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,552 posts
6,438 battles
42 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

On another note, WG thought Yoshino and Yashima were too similar so they changed it, but apparently Akizuki and Akatsuki are fine? They already sound pretty similar (in English) and when you apply the usual American slurring of syllables they pretty much sound identical. Seems odd that they were fine with one really close name, but shot down another one which are actually pronounced quite differently.

Yoshino and Yashima/Shikishima weren't real ships so WG can name them whatever they want.  Akizuki and Akatsuki were the respective leaders of their classes of destroyers and WG likes to use the class leaders as the tech tree ship name.

[WNNR]
Members
35 posts
8,651 battles

Me in Skane: let's bully this cute Akatsuki...wait why her guns hurt this much???

Same thing for me when I saw Alsace as Alaska and try to bounce shells with my 25mm bow in cruisers...

Edited by Angstroms

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,327 posts
12,989 battles
4 minutes ago, Angstroms said:

Me in Skane: let's bully this cute Akatsuki...wait why her guns hurt this much???

Same thing for me when I saw Alsace as Alaska and try to bounce shells with my 25mm bow...

Alaska has a 27mm bow and can bounce up to 381mm AP. What won't bounce AP is that ~16mm superstructure.

[WNNR]
Members
35 posts
8,651 battles
3 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Alaska has a 27mm bow and can bounce up to 381mm AP. What won't bounce AP is that ~16mm superstructure.

That's when I was in a 25-bow cruiser and thought the incoming shells were 305 (instead of 380). Sry about the confusion. English is not my 1st language.

Edited by Angstroms

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,146 posts
4,345 battles
2 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Yoshino and Yashima/Shikishima weren't real ships so WG can name them whatever they want.  Akizuki and Akatsuki were the respective leaders of their classes of destroyers and WG likes to use the class leaders as the tech tree ship name.

Yeah, that makes sense, I don't play IJN DDs so I'm (obviously) bad with the line names and even more so with what's historical and what's not.

4 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Besides: Akat and Aki not only sound different, but Suki, and Zuki also sound different in English grammar. The only similarity is the A & K.

On their own, yes. But put them together, and we tend to blur them into a very similar sound. I think it's the way we stress the word. To make a distinction you have to stress the T in akatsuki, but it's not natural to stress it there so that T sound really disappears. And Z and S are very similar, and again unless you're particularly stressing the S it tends to get softened to more of an S. Finally we use a short i which while different to the flat a still sounds similar. Obviously if you pronounce the words with careful attention to each sound, they're very different. But English as a language and Americans in particular make a hobby of butchering pronunciations. Used in a sentence in normal flow of speech the two names come out sounding very similar, and it doesn't help that the words look similar. I'm sure that in Japanese they're distinct, but for a native english speaker moving quickly they're going to end up almost indistinguishable.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,808 posts
11,345 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

Turns out when WG split the tech tree they gave two very different DDs similar names, probably just to mess with people like me. One has rapid firing guns and a single launcher with reload booster. The other has crapguns but 3x3 launchers, kind of an important difference. Which would explain why I kept on getting surprised when what I thought was the gunboat suddenly dropped multiple sets on me. So yeah, my blonde moment for the day or something. I feel stupid, but at least somewhat vindicated in never being able to remember the stats of that one ship:Smile_teethhappy:

10 minutes ago, Angstroms said:

To be fair, the guns on Akatsuki are actually pretty good, just tricky to use with the slow turret traverse and long reload, not to mention the hordes of IJN DD captains who NEVER. FIRE. THEIR. GUNS. The Japanese 127mm HE shell is nasty, and Akatsuki has six barrels at tier VII in an arrangement that is very good at kiting other DDs. Add to that that she has, IMO, the best torpedo armament at tier VII (the three triple launchers are just so very flexible), and it’s no surprise her concealment is so poor. If it was any better she’d probably be overpowered.

I run a hybrid build on mine, and it’s always amusing to see the other DD panic when they realize that 1) you are actually firing back and 2) you are actually winning the gunfight. :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,146 posts
4,345 battles
24 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

To be fair, the guns on Akatsuki are actually pretty good, just tricky to use with the slow turret traverse and long reload, not to mention the hordes of IJN DD captains who NEVER. FIRE. THEIR. GUNS. The Japanese 127mm HE shell is nasty, and Akatsuki has six barrels at tier VII in an arrangement that is very good at kiting other DDs. Add to that that she has, IMO, the best torpedo armament at tier VII (the three triple launchers are just so very flexible), and it’s no surprise her concealment is so poor. If it was any better she’d probably be overpowered.

I run a hybrid build on mine, and it’s always amusing to see the other DD panic when they realize that 1) you are actually firing back and 2) you are actually winning the gunfight. :Smile_veryhappy:

Oh I respect both for sure. But knowing whether to expect 3 triple sets or 1 (possibly quickly followed by a second) quad set does make a difference. And if I'm a Mahan or Benson I want to know which is which before picking a gunfight with it.

And yes, IJN guns hit hard, very hard. They're just hard to use in a knife fight because they have a traverse almost as long as Kremlin's (which to be fair says more about Kremlin than IJN DDs).

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,048 posts
11,490 battles

The real funny thing about Akizuki is Japan has named two Destroyer classes after her and they are both anti air destroyers, and the first 3 if both class share the same names.

DD-115 Akizuki (Autumn Moon)

DD-116 Teruzuki (Bright Moon)

DD-117 Suzutsuki (Clear Moon)

2721011a5c45945cc90f500660287038.jpg

300px-Fuyuzuki.jpg

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
1,227 posts
5,402 battles
1 hour ago, Crokodone said:

No ship needs a name change. To say the least it's good excercise for the mind and good counter intelligence otherwise. Besides, it's historically and socially accurate. 

Generally people only look at the beginning and the end of words and their brain fills in the rest. Both start with Ak- and end with -uki.