You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
General_Lee_Miserable

Ramming Mechanic In Need of Change

38 comments in this topic

[MISRY]
Members
935 posts
6,862 battles

I wish WG would revise the ramming mechanic to discourage ramming. Too often you are in close quarters with an enemy ship, you get the upper hand on enemy ship, and then all of a sudden they aim their ship towards you with little hop to evade. 

Just like WG can determine who damages who in collision team damage, I'd like the initiator of a ram to be able to inflict far less dmg than he/she takes. That way, ramming won't be so enticing and would encourage both ships to fight it out. Nothing is more frustrating when you are grinding a ship than to take an earlier than anticipated exit from a match because someone decided you were going down if they were going down. It's such a poor thing for the game. Yes, I do run ramming flags, but they don't always save me. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 6

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,919 posts
26,019 battles

If you had "the upper hand" and lost a knife fight with another ship because you got rammed, you never had the "upper hand."

That's bad positioning by the player that thought he was in the superior situation.  You always have to account for desperation, YOLO charges.

If you were in something like a high HP BB and got rammed by a BB that was almost dead, you got severely, harshly outplayed.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 10

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
1,250 posts
11,232 battles
19 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

- edit -  mechanic to discourage ramming.  - edit -

It's called Secondary Batteries and torpedoes.

:Smile_playing:

[WORX]
Members
13,286 posts
20,135 battles
21 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

I wish WG would revise the ramming mechanic to discourage ramming. Too often you are in close quarters with an enemy ship, you get the upper hand on enemy ship, and then all of a sudden they aim their ship towards you with little hop HOPE to evade. 

Just like WG can determine who damages who in collision team damage, I'd like the initiator of a ram to be able to inflict far less dmg than he/she takes.????? That way, ramming won't be so enticing and would encourage both ships to fight it out. Nothing is more frustrating when you are grinding a ship than to take an earlier than anticipated exit from a match because someone decided you were going down if they were going down. It's such a poor thing for the game. Yes, I do run ramming flags, but they don't always save me. 

You can educate yourself on Ramming here

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship_talk:Ramming

The advocates for Ramming, will disagree with your distorted view to eliminate the current ramming mechanic...

• Mainly, in a ramming situation... Interpretation is in the eye of the beholder as to who initiated the Ramming.
    • Therefor, there is no way to program the Ramming mechanic to be arbitrary or the arbitrator. To a ramming dispute as to who initiated it.

If someone Rammed you, then learn to avoid getting into that situation.. That is not a WG or a program issue, its a player get gud issue...

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Boring 1

[MISRY]
Members
935 posts
6,862 battles
29 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

If you had "the upper hand" and lost a knife fight with another ship because you got rammed, you never had the "upper hand."

That's bad positioning by the player that thought he was in the superior situation.  You always have to account for desperation, YOLO charges.

If you were in something like a high HP BB and got rammed by a BB that was almost dead, you got severely, harshly outplayed.

You cannot generally attribute getting rammed to bad positioning. There are a lot of factors involved. 

• Funny 1

[WPORT]
Members
9,875 posts
14,356 battles
43 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

I wish WG would revise the ramming mechanic to discourage ramming. Too often you are in close quarters with an enemy ship, you get the upper hand on enemy ship, and then all of a sudden they aim their ship towards you with little hop to evade. 

Just like WG can determine who damages who in collision team damage, I'd like the initiator of a ram to be able to inflict far less dmg than he/she takes. That way, ramming won't be so enticing and would encourage both ships to fight it out. Nothing is more frustrating when you are grinding a ship than to take an earlier than anticipated exit from a match because someone decided you were going down if they were going down. It's such a poor thing for the game. Yes, I do run ramming flags, but they don't always save me. 

Getting rammed means your ship was close enough to another ship to either ram that ship or to get rammed by that ship.

Heck, this happens at the beginning of the match while apparently drunken helmsmen set-sail from the starting position and wind up colliding with team-mates' ships.
You really think a "red ship" won't try to sink you or damage you when it looks like they're:  #1 probably gonna sink anyway, or, #2 bigger and have more HP and are likely to sink your ship?

I've rammed a DD with a CV.   It was a viable option at the time. 

I accidentally rammed a "red" DD with a Submarine and we both sunk.  At least I "took one of 'em with me", eh?

Ramming is a viable and "fair" tactic.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
9,875 posts
14,356 battles
44 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

:cap_like:

28 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

You can educate yourself on Ramming here

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship_talk:Ramming

The advocates for Ramming, will disagree with your distorted view to eliminate the current ramming mechanic...

• Mainly, in a ramming situation... Interpretation is in the eye of the beholder as to who initiated the Ramming.
    • Therefor, there is no way to program the Ramming mechanic to be arbitrary or the arbitrator. To a ramming dispute as to who initiated it.

If someone Rammed you, then learn to avoid getting into that situation.. That is not a WG or a program issue, its a player get gud issue...

:cap_like:

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,420 posts
12,667 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Sometimes your brawling with a bb of equal health  . All of a sudden he takes a double citadel from another ship and loses 3 quarters health he is now desperate and close so the the ram is on . It’s not always being out played I’ve seen this happen plenty of times I have done it myself . 

Edited by clammboy

[TDRB]
Members
5,318 posts
13,743 battles
54 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

You're not going to find much support. I believe the reasons are obvious but I will give you one. You can sink or severely damage an enemy ship even though you do not have many HP left. 

[BEA5T]
Members
588 posts
18,742 battles

OP mostly likely has not played NARI yet and witnessed any of Missouri's aggressive ramming tendencies.    Or been in COOP and watch the early on ramming tendencies of RED BOT on BOT ramming episodes. 

There is a FLAG that reduces your damage when rammed and increases the damage when you initiate the ram as well.    Good possibility the individual who initiated the ram may have had the flag.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,786 posts
21,696 battles
2 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

You cannot generally attribute getting rammed to bad positioning. There are a lot of factors involved. 

Including bad positioning and erroneously believing you had the upper hand.

• Funny 1

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles
3 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Highpeed French dds are jetski torpedoes... I love the fear factor, lol.. And yes I love my French dds😳😍💞😁

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles

What I'd love to see change is map hugging rework... If you sail into the map edge it should stop you from wiggling.... I've seen people actually make videos how they exploit using it 😖if they are caught out of position they deserve to be punished not learn to ride the edge😭

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,829 posts
21,526 battles

This train of thought goes against Russian Dogma. They do it in tanks (WoT), they do it in planes (WoWP) and even here (WoWS) as a last desperate act. Why else would WG give the die hard medal? Naval Ramming has been around since ironclads, even Victoria England had question the tactic as shown in this cartoon from 1876.

800px-Punch_-_Over-Weighted.png

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,733 posts
11,192 battles

It is a desperation move and it works.  Ramming is a valid tactic for taking an enemy with you when you know you are going to die anyway.  Heck, I will even aim my guns at a different ship once I know I am going to ram, just so that I maximize my total damage output on the enemy team.

[KRAK]
Members
3,727 posts
22,438 battles
5 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

WG cannot determine who damages who in a team collision. Both players take and give damage and incur penalties if enough damage is done.

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,905 battles

This Arcade game is full of 'Farces'  of which Ramming is one.

In real rams both ships would stay afloat & likely be stuck together (at whatever angle the ram happened) or they would sheer off of each other to continue  close in firing.

In close quarters battling, ramming can occur and if you are going to get sunk you might as well try to take an enemy with you.

WF actually does the 'ramming' play rather decently (in other words, they can't really 'farcialize' ramming, more that it is already farcialized that is).

As ramming is rather rare (should be rare in occurrence), I just sell my Ram flags & if a ramming happens I do without that particular flag.

Edited by Antean
correction

[-ICE-]
Members
567 posts

I thought its supposed to go by HP but yesterday I was nearly full HP in a BB, the other BB was all but dead so he rammed me and blew me up and all the while I was thinking I was full, he was almost empty I thought this went off HP or something...?   Im glad I saw this thread or I prob would have not said anything.   

[HINON]
Members
14,210 posts
1 hour ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

I thought its supposed to go by HP but yesterday I was nearly full HP in a BB, the other BB was all but dead so he rammed me and blew me up and all the while I was thinking I was full, he was almost empty I thought this went off HP or something...?   Im glad I saw this thread or I prob would have not said anything.   

Check out the wiki. It's chock full of useful info.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Ramming

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,919 posts
26,019 battles
6 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

5 hours ago, clammboy said:

Sometimes your brawling with a bb of equal health  . All of a sudden he takes a double citadel from another ship and loses 3 quarters health he is now desperate and close so the the ram is on . It’s not always being out played I’ve seen this happen plenty of times I have done it myself . 

It always has to be accounted for.  It can be negated by maintaining a safe distance, kiting, and if possible, separating from the threat.

If you were in a spot where at any given time you become a very easy, convenient target to ram, that's you're fault.  I made that mistake a lot myself.  I've seen that mistake made by others too many times.  This is especially true if you are in a very slow ship trying to brawl a faster one.  Think New Mexico 21kts vs Bayern at 25kts.  Let's say Bayern is somehow on the losing end of that, decides to go bow in and charge for the Ram.  NM can't easily get away at 21kts vs the faster Bayern.  So if the fight was at, say, 6km, NM isn't likely to get away.  But if the brawl was at 11km, NM has a chance to move away and draw the chase out.  NM may not be able to completely get away on her own, but if she can draw the chase out enough, others can help and shoot up the Bayern before it does close in to ram.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
586 posts
13,193 battles
6 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

How do you think the game could tell which person initiated the ram?  A lot of times both people go for the ram.  You got in a bad position and paid for it.  No reason to mess up the game and make it more complicated because you died.  Move on to the next match and get over it.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,420 posts
12,667 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It always has to be accounted for.  It can be negated by maintaining a safe distance, kiting, and if possible, separating from the threat.

If you were in a spot where at any given time you become a very easy, convenient target to ram, that's you're fault.  I made that mistake a lot myself.  I've seen that mistake made by others too many times.  This is especially true if you are in a very slow ship trying to brawl a faster one.  Think New Mexico 21kts vs Bayern at 25kts.  Let's say Bayern is somehow on the losing end of that, decides to go bow in and charge for the Ram.  NM can't easily get away at 21kts vs the faster Bayern.  So if the fight was at, say, 6km, NM isn't likely to get away.  But if the brawl was at 11km, NM has a chance to move away and draw the chase out.  NM may not be able to completely get away on her own, but if she can draw the chase out enough, others can help and shoot up the Bayern before it does close in to ram.

Yea I understand your right of course but I do enjoy a little Ring around the Rosie BB duel once and a while .