You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NittyKitty

Where do I actually aim to shoot a sub?

11 comments in this topic

[RNBW]
Beta Testers
24 posts
4,666 battles

Can subs not be hit with AP shells? I understand that I can't hit a sub when it goes to maximum depth and the warning text pops up to say "Target cannot be hit" - but I don't actually know where to aim when the submarine is at a depth it can be hit. Do I put the little crosshair icon directly on the indicator bar? High? Low? I tried playing Graf Spee and was totally reliant on my secondaries to hit subs.

[SYN]
Members
5,879 posts
13,316 battles

It makes sense that a submerged boat should be difficult, if not impossible, to hit with guns, since you can't actually see the thing lol.  Just aim at its indicator and hope for the best.  Figure it out.

• Boring 1

[FML]
Members
4,163 posts
16,112 battles

Yes it’s chalkenging because the target is so small - you’re mainly trying to hit the submarine’s ‘sail’, the conning tower part. It’s like trying to hit a particular AA gun on a battleship. You still need to give a bit of lead (though much less than normal, as subs are slower), and the shells should be hitting around the dot. 

I have not mastered it myself. But I do know that AP shells can hit and pen subs - used my Leander. 

[DRAH]
Members
430 posts
10,714 battles

the other problem is they submerge way to fast. I was driving a PEF yesterday and a sub fully submerged inside my secondary range, Even with my guns pointing right at him he was below 6 meters inside the  reaction time for me to react and for my shells to get there.

[RNBW]
Beta Testers
24 posts
4,666 battles
38 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

Figure it out.

Well you're not very helpful.

36 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Yes it’s chalkenging because the target is so small - you’re mainly trying to hit the submarine’s ‘sail’, the conning tower part. It’s like trying to hit a particular AA gun on a battleship. You still need to give a bit of lead (though much less than normal, as subs are slower), and the shells should be hitting around the dot. 

I have not mastered it myself. But I do know that AP shells can hit and pen subs - used my Leander. 

Okay! That's better.

[SYN]
Members
5,879 posts
13,316 battles
Just now, NittyKitty said:

Well you're not very helpful.

I guess you choose to ignore the very simple advice you conveniently edited away.

Much of the game involves learning the way and figuring things out.  If you don't like it, well, I don't know what to tell you...

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,280 battles

Subs are going to be very difficult to hit with AP at all, even if they're fully surfaced, due to how small a target they are. I honestly think that hitting them even slightly submerged with AP would be more luck than anything else. Honestly the best bet is to use HE, which given that their health pools are even smaller than that of DDs is VERY effective on them. Battleship HE can even damage subs with near misses and while they're submerged at a shallow depth.

As much as I hate to say it this means that one of my favorite lines, Italian cruisers, are among the worst ships to deal with submarines given that they lack HE altogether. Torpedoes can certainly be useful if you can catch them near the surface, but it's very situational as you have to catch them near or on the surface.

[PVE]
Members
8,497 posts
24,554 battles
2 hours ago, Kuckoo said:

I guess you choose to ignore the very simple advice you conveniently edited away.

Just like you chose to ignore the fact he clearly explained this...

2 hours ago, Kuckoo said:

It makes sense that a submerged boat should be difficult, if not impossible, to hit with guns, since you can't actually see the thing lol.

...in his OP when he said:

2 hours ago, NittyKitty said:

I understand that I can't hit a sub when it goes to maximum depth and the warning text pops up to say "Target cannot be hit"

So maybe he wasn't just referring to the "figure it out" when he said "you're not very helpful" but also you saying back to him what he had already clearly stated.

Some people have figured out certain mechanics in the game & as there is no in game tutorial the forums are a perfectly reasonable place to inquire about them.

Responses like "figure it out" only makes people think you haven't been able to do that yourself yet or you would have actually been able to add something constructive to the thread.

Members
443 posts
451 battles

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of recent CC content on YouTube concerning the current iteration of sub play, but I probably overlooked a lot of channels. Anyway, I did open this thread in hope of seeing the tips, tricks, and purple secrets to ASW success. Of course, there simply might not be any to be had this early in the development cycle. I didn’t see much in the news articles, either. But on the bright side, WG is more than happy to give me history lessons, which more than makes up for any tactical advice that may be lacking with a new product release. I guess I’ll just wait for the upcoming Year of the Submarine and hope for the best. 

[WOLF1]
Members
1,113 posts
2,150 battles

I can attest to subs diving so fast its hard for ships to shoot at it with guns, this is how I dodge torpedoes, shells, and surface torpedoes easily as I leisurely use my horrible pinging aim to citadel BBs.

I have seen others suggest oxygen levels to force subs to surface after certain time to br vulnerable;e to shells, but then WG can easily add premium subs with German snorkel tech like (i think) the type 9 late war German subs Due to increasing sub losses.

I want deck guns to work as the “3” key as weapons, early war U-29 type 8 (i think) had 4.1 inchers, etc

WG: Japanese aircraft carrier subs with 128mm deck gun premium ship

Edited by Boomer625