You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rose_Bomb

Possible Re-Introduction of Removed USN and IJN CVs // Additional CV Ideas

9 comments in this topic

[ARP]
Members
80 posts
6,459 battles

Ever since the removal of Prime-Number Aircraft Carriers from both the US and IJN, I've been kind of sad that alot of that progress was lost, with some love going for them as well. I was always a fan of the Essex Aircraft Carrier, and to lose it after the Rework really made me sad. SO I thought, hey, what about a Re-Introduction? 

Similarly of how current Tech Trees branch off for sub-types, I was thinking the same thing for the Carriers. Currently, besides a single exception, US focuses on HE Dive Bombers and Multi-Torpedo Drops and a choice of Tiny Tims or what is essentially Throw-Enough-crap-At-The-Wall. The IJN focuses on Duo-Torpedo Drops with solid AP Dive Bombers and a single, narrow spread of solid Rockets.

For the new Tech Tree branches, my idea is simple. The USN bombers stick with their usual Triple-Drop for Torps and Dive bombers, three planes with one Torp/Bomb each, the rockets stay as the crap-At-The-Wall version (No Tiny Tim option) and invest heavily in their AP Dive Bombers, like they do for the HE in the current tree.

The IJN would do the opposite, Few rockets that hit hard, Torpedo Bombers in drops of three or more, and HE Dive Bombers. The Dive Bombers would probably be Duo-Planes per attacking flight with Two Bombs per plane, to keep their Duo-Theme like they have from the current Tech tree with their Torpedo bombers.

The Biggest thing would have to be the Tiers of these ships, and since this is an re-introduction, old ships would stay the same Tier (Aside from a couple differences because of WGs rework changes)

Starting at Tier 5: USN Bogue / IJN Zuiho

Tier 7: USN Independence / IJN Hiryu

Tier 9: USN Essex / IJN Taiho

(Tier 10 is maybe for me since this was the old Prime Numbers Aircraft Carriers being introduced, but if I WERE to go ahead with Tier 10s, I'd probably swap T9 Essex for USN Yorktown and put Essex at T10. Same for Taiho, IJN Taiho going Tier 10 and the T9 being replaced with Kaga's sister ship, Akagi. Personally, I'd love to see IJN Akagi come out, which I am hopeful for, seeing as many sister ship pairings are already in the game, Such as Eugen and Hipper, Bismark and Tirpitz, the North Carolina-Class Battleships, Jean Bart and Richelieu, and even Warspite and Queen Elizabeth.)

Edited by Rose_Bomb
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
9,038 posts
16,350 battles

The original logic for removing odd-tiers, which is to concentrate the fairly few carrier players into fewer matchmaking brackets (splitting players in queue into 4 tiers for mirror-matchmaking rather than 7) remains pretty sound.

If WG add a split for US carriers I'd expect them to come in at even tiers, with Essex for instance as an alternative T10, Yorktown at T8, Independence at 6 and Bogue at 4.

Right now however, there doesn't seem to be enough design space to really differentiate carrier lines that much, so I don't see a huge amount of point.

[ARP]
Members
80 posts
6,459 battles
8 minutes ago, mofton said:

The original logic for removing odd-tiers, which is to concentrate the fairly few carrier players into fewer matchmaking brackets (splitting players in queue into 4 tiers for mirror-matchmaking rather than 7) remains pretty sound.

If WG add a split for US carriers I'd expect them to come in at even tiers, with Essex for instance as an alternative T10, Yorktown at T8, Independence at 6 and Bogue at 4.

Right now however, there doesn't seem to be enough design space to really differentiate carrier lines that much, so I don't see a huge amount of point.

Even if everything stayed at Even-Numbered tiers, I'd still love to see the old Carriers return with a different theme in their Tech Trees. And I'd still especially love to see Akagi make it into the game, simply, for me, as I love seeing Sister Ships together.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,080 posts
19,494 battles

ASW duty for odd tiered CV’s has been floated around a couple times.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,346 battles
21 minutes ago, mofton said:

Well I wonder. You could have cv for instance with a AP bomber- HE bomber- torpedo plane load-out easily. Or HE rocket- Ap rocket- ap bomber.

or why bot a ap bomber-he bomber-carpet bomber?

there is possibility in my opinion.

[GWG]
Members
85 posts
5,979 battles

I recall my Ranger saving a lot of battles in Narai. 
Killed off the last enemy ship with a blind auto-drop on an Atlanta once -- last ship...last planes.
Three torps dropped -- planes were shredded...    darkness...  waiting... waiting... waiting...   VICTORY.

Edited by AVR__Project

[KOBK]
Members
483 posts
5,573 battles

I miss the old carriers...the idea if bringing them back with ASW planes its pretty good, however to me it doesnt make much sense the removal but whatever