Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
StarkMadYankee

Midway

4 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
18,320 battles

Thanks WOW, My father was at Pearl on the Hornet when WWII broke out. He served on her until she was sunk by enemy forces. He's in Heaven smiling now!

Beta Testers
3,306 posts
26,945 battles

Yeah sure. My pops fought the Russians then the Germans they all killed his family when they Attacked Poland back in September of 1939 that started WW2...………….. 

Members
4,682 posts
45,595 battles
1 hour ago, Tachnechdorus said:

Yeah sure. My pops fought the Russians then the Germans they all killed his family when they Attacked Poland back in September of 1939 that started WW2...………….. 

My father was in WW2. He was a merchant marine. When he heard about what happened to Poland, he was shocked.

He told me back in the 80s that Poland will probably never trust Russia or Germany and he would not be surprised if they are fully combat ready at all times.

He was not wrong in the 80s. To this day Poland has a few bases along the Russian border. That might take a few more decades to cool off.

My father remarked that the Polish people during the war were some of the bravest her has ever seen. He saw a destroyer beat up in a British harbor. Once it got repaired, it went underway immediately.

"The war made heroes of common men and women. But I reckon a few were just happy to get back in to the fight."

[HELLS]
Members
2,849 posts
31,628 battles

Dad flew around in patrol bombers hunting U-boats in the Atlantic, Uncle George fought in Normandy and had two tanks shot out from under him, Uncle Ray served in a medium bomber squadron, Uncle Dilas landed on Juno Beach in the first wave of infantry, Uncle René was a Signal Corps dispatch rider whose motorbike ran over a German mine in Italy. One of Dad's cousins was aboard Belfast at North Cape. Two other cousins fought in Hong Kong and spent the war in the hell of a Japanese POW camp. My grandmother's brother served in both wars. I never forget. Always remember.

I am old enough to have worked for years with men who fought in both wars, some of them highly decorated at that. They never talked about it. The medals only came out of the case to be worn on parade on Rememberance Day. PTSD was not a known condition. All of them suffered from it to a degree. I saw it close up with my Dad and his brothers, and especially with Granddad, who fought in the hell of the trenches in the first war. Having served for a short time myself, now I see it in my eldest grandson, an Afghanistan veteran. I can never thank these people enough for what they have done. The WWII vets are getting thin on the ground. Visit with them, talk with them, listen to them and tell them how much they are appreciated for what they have done while they are alive. We may never see their like again. I am lucky enough to have been able to do so.

Sign in to follow this