You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Drammoss

Which Coal BB to take

33 comments in this topic

[YOU]
Members
1 post
3,697 battles

Hello all! I recently picked up WoWs a few months ago and I fell in love with the game, having always been an avid ship person. After playing for almost two and a half months, I definitely am more of a Battleship/Heavy Cruiser player. Just being a presence on the map being able to do big damage just suits my playstyle the most. I remember looking in the armory and seeing the Georgia and set my mind to grinding out the coal for her. After playing the game for a while however, I started to think about getting the Thunderer. I do intend on getting both of them eventually (since the resources container is the only one that's really worth it anyhow), but I'm having trouble deciding on which one I want first.  I definitely do enjoy more aggressive BBs like the Massachusetts, Tirpitz, and Bismarck, but I also have a love for marksmanship playing the IJN and USN BB lines that are definitely more gun-centered. One one hand I love that feeling of an mobile fortress firing away secondaries and also the main batteries, and on the other hand I like that feeling of seeing huge chunks of damage peel off of an enemy's ship when I hit a salvo. So hard to choose!

Any tips or advice?

• Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
1,487 posts

Thunderer and Georgia are completely different ships.
No way to tell which one suits you better until you've played them both.
But there is a much greater chance that the Thunderer will be removed from the game first due to its popularity,
so if you want both, get the Thunderer first.

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
4 hours ago, z9_ said:

Thunderer and Georgia are completely different ships.
No way to tell which one suits you better until you've played them both.
But there is a much greater chance that the Thunderer will be removed from the game first due to its popularity,
so if you want both, get the Thunderer first.

I have both.

I've never heard the Thunderer described as OP. It has 8 huge and very accurate guns. It's a very long range platform with good concealment, great ROF, good agility and a good heal. Its also squishy, has no secondaries to speak of, relatively low health pool and no consumable gimmick extras.

Many people claim the Georgia is OP. It has 6 huge guns with decent range, decent accuracy and pretty good rof. It has great secondaries, a ridiculous speed boost and good AA. It's clumsy, squishy, a fairly low health pool, is visible from the moon and only has 4 guns forward so chasing is kinda mute.

I find the Thunderer suites me more. Im pretty good at aiming and the Thunderer rewards good shooters. I'm patient and am comfortable supporting the team with accurate and effective  supporting fire for a few minutes before edging ever closer to the caps. 

Georgia is a hoot to race around in. It's like Bismark and Henri had a baby that happens to look like an Iowa. That speed has gotten me into serious trouble a few times too many and with only 6 guns with ocaisionally drunk gunners missing shots gets very expensive.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 1

[UNHLY]
Members
5,055 posts
14,151 battles

I’ll definitely agree with z9’s first two lines, but disagree with the second two. Tier for tier Thunderer is probably the stronger ship by a hair, but Georgia is also strong for its tier and very popular too, as well as being older. Since it’s highly unlikely they’ll remove an armory ship and not replace it with another option of the same type and tier, Georgia will most likely be leaving around the time Ludendorff gets added, as they both fill the t9 coal BB slot and the secondary spec BB slot. Assuming Slava becomes an armory ship (rather than dockyard or RB), it will most likely take Thunderer’s t10 place, but Ludendorff has been confirmed to be the next new coal ship to be released.

Eventually both will be removed (and I’d expect both to be gone by the release of 10.0 early next year, especially Georgia), but Georgia is more likely to get removed first based on the age, popularity, and ability to replace in the armory. Regardless of which one is removed when, we will get at least three months notice beforehand.  If we go on the assumption that both will be removed within the next 8-9 months, getting Thunderer first as the more expensive ship could be a good idea since it will take less time to grind the coal for Georgia and will use less steel if you have to convert some, but I’d expect we’ll have at least 4-5 months between the two getting removed which should be enough to fully grind any of the t10 coal ships assuming both daily missions every day, all three crates, and full clan bonuses. 

That being said...

Based on the playstyle you provided, I actually think Georgia will be more enjoyable for you. It’s more flexible, with the secondaries and decent armor for brawling (although the armor is weaker when compared to close range lines like the Russians and Germans), and the speed and accuracy for flanking and mid range engagements, as well as getting you out of Dodge (although it also brings a lot of people into Dodge because of the high speed). Plus if you already have a secondary spec captain for Mass, you can use the exact same captain in Georgia with no problems (even though I still prefer a survival captain in my Georgia). Thunderer has more in common with the UK BB line so you could use a normal main line survival captain, but like the tech tree line it’s definitely not a ship you want to take into close engagements since it has a weaker citadel protection and no short cooldown heal. Both have really big guns that are accurate and hit hard, although Thunderer definitely wins the reload (since you’ll probably take reload in slot 6 compared to the accuracy mod for Georgia) and fire chance races.

I have both and enjoy playing both, but personally I like Georgia a little more. If you’re looking for a ship to ensure you never have credit issues again, Georgia is the better ship with the t9 premium credit modifiers, but Thunderer has the ability to play in the almost nonstop t10 competitive modes, even though it may not necessarily be an ideal choice. 

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
313 posts
4,736 battles

Thunderer hurts. A LOT. Anything you hit with either ammo choice will take significant damage more often than not. Her HE rounds are incredibly brutal, stripping enemies of almost their entire AA suite in as little as  2 salvos, and its not uncommon to see 10-14,000 damage in one broadside plus multiple fires.  Hitting light cruisers and DD's with it is absolutely devastating and since the blast radius is so huge you will often damage or outright break multiple modules each shot . If you've ever wanted to ruin a Smolensk's day, Thunderer HE is for you.

Keep in mind she has some excellent AP rounds too which IIRC have improved pen angles. Nobody wants to be caught in a turn in front of a Thunderer loaded with AP. 

[PVE]
Members
8,504 posts
24,614 battles
2 hours ago, Drammoss said:

Hello all! I recently picked up WoWs a few months ago and I fell in love with the game, having always been an avid ship person. After playing for almost two and a half months, I definitely am more of a Battleship/Heavy Cruiser player. Just being a presence on the map being able to do big damage just suits my playstyle the most. I remember looking in the armory and seeing the Georgia and set my mind to grinding out the coal for her. After playing the game for a while however, I started to think about getting the Thunderer. I do intend on getting both of them eventually (since the resources container is the only one that's really worth it anyhow), but I'm having trouble deciding on which one I want first.  I definitely do enjoy more aggressive BBs like the Massachusetts, Tirpitz, and Bismarck, but I also have a love for marksmanship playing the IJN and USN BB lines that are definitely more gun-centered. One one hand I love that feeling of an mobile fortress firing away secondaries and also the main batteries, and on the other hand I like that feeling of seeing huge chunks of damage peel off of an enemy's ship when I hit a salvo. So hard to choose!

Any tips or advice?

I like to wait until I have the resources (whether coal/free XP/etc) for the 2 most expensive ships & then I buy the most expensive making the 2nd most expensive become the new most expensive & start saving for the new 2nd most expensive.

The reason is if a ship is announced as leaving soon I will always have a stockpile to get it w/out missing out...although I will wait until the last day to get while stockpiling up more of the resource so I have my backup as close to filled up for the next ship announced to leave if that occurs.

That being said Georgia has been in the armory longer so has most chance of going away soonest.

[BUOY]
Members
1,338 posts
16,872 battles

Georgia will probably be going away sooner since she's got maximum gimmicks going for her while the Thunderer is just what the Conkek would've been if WG had known how to balance 8 gun T10's back then.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,918 posts
26,004 battles

Georgia is a fast, very flexible ship.  Fast speed made even more hilarious with Engine Boost, nice Overmatching 457mm guns that sh*t on Cruisers, Mega Secondaries, more accurate guns that fire at a fast reload.  She is a very features-rich BB and IMO, an excessive presence for Tier IX.  Even worse when she gets to be top tier against sh*tty Tier VII ships.

Thunderer is all about 1 thing only:  Some of the Best Battleship Gunnery in the game.

The HP for a Tier X BB is actually mediocre, just like Conqueror.

Like RN & FR BBs in High Tier, she's coated in 32mm armor which is highly susceptible to HE DPM attacks.

The Citadel protection isn't good, just like Conqueror.

You don't have Conqueror's Super Heal Hull Reprinter.

However, Thunderer's rudder shift and turret traverse stats are just like that of a Legendary-equipped Conqueror, but you still have CSM1 access on Thunderer whereas on Conqueror, to use the Legendary, you have to drop CSM1.

Thunderer makes its name on Gunnery.  457mm x8, accurate, good reload, good Overmatch benefits.  She has the Gunnery that Ohio used to have in earlier WiP test phases where she was considered OP.  Late before Live release, WG swapped their gunnery and Thunderer inherited Ohio's old super-gunnery characteristics.  Her AP is extremely strong and her HE is still RN BB Mega HE Shells.  Broadside ships?  Bow on BBs?  Your shells will capably answer all situations.  Nelson help any DDs that eat multiple hits from a Thunderer HE salvo.

RIP.

If you are the kind of BB player that knows how to protect their Citadel and wants to Live and Die on the merit of a Battleship's guns to solve any and all problems, the Thunderer is for you.

12 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

Georgia will probably be going away sooner since she's got maximum gimmicks going for her while the Thunderer is just what the Conkek would've been if WG had known how to balance 8 gun T10's back then.

Yeah, in earlier test phases, Thunderer was basically 457mm-Conqueror, and almost everybody hated 457-Conq.  She was in testing at the same time as Ohio and Ohio was deemed by the CCs / STs at the time to be OPAF.  Thunderer at that time was lame.  That changed late, as I mentioned above.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SIM]
Members
5,848 posts
9,315 battles

Georgia is more interesting, thanks to having a box of gimmicks, but I find Thunderer to be the superior ship at her tier. Quite simply, eight guns with incredible accuracy completely eclipse six guns with...questionable performance. Georgia has decent secondaries, speed boost, and a short cooldown on her heal. Thunderer has a main battery armament that feels dirty when you get your guns on a target. Personally, I play BBs for their big guns, not consumables or secondaries.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
4,167 posts
16,146 battles
7 hours ago, Drammoss said:

Any tips or advice?

Hi, welcome to WoWS. 

Of the two, I have played the Georgia and I really enjoy it.  Good guns (you need to spec for them), great secondaries, generally easy play style as its similar to high tier USN battleships like the Iowa.  The speed boost gives you the flexibility to reposition across the map if you need to, which is a great late-battle advantage.  It is also really helpful in reversing or accelerating from a stop rapidly.  

The Thunderer is more of a glass cannon - better weapons than the Conqueror but lacks the HP or Super Heal - so its a bit more for experienced or good BB players.  Still, its a solid pick and worth getting. 

If you are interested in a discussion on what premium ships are good value for newer players can be found on my New Player Guide Premium Ships for New Players.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,645 posts
18,994 battles

As an average at best player I'd recommend the Thunderer. The play style is easier to learn and since you'll be at distance more, at least at the start of the match, it gives you a chance to get a better overview of where you're most needed. I've found with brawlers that once you push in and engage it's harder to extricate yourself to move to a different map position. The Georgia is quite fast however but if she has to turn broadside to fall back she takes damage quite quickly. 

Regardless, both ships are quite good in different ways so good luck on your purchase. 

[CDOH]
Members
905 posts
8,510 battles

Get the Georgia you can use the same captain as the MASSA.  Georgia is 10 times more fun than thunderer.  Thunderer is just boring.  yes the guns on the thunderer are fantastic.  The Georgia's guns are very good and the secondaries are very good.  In terms of fun the Georgia has it over the Thunderer.   I have both and i don't play Thunderer anymore.  Thunderer is easy to kill and just snipes from long range.  This play style gets old fast.

Edited by Rothgar_57

[SRBL]
Members
551 posts
15,105 battles
8 hours ago, thebigblue said:

I've never heard the Thunderer described as OP. 

For me it's OP. I have an overall 53% WR but in Thunderer I'm at 80% with well over 50 games, I just sick back in easy mode and burn things to the waterline from 24km out. 

[CDOH]
Members
905 posts
8,510 battles

S

1 minute ago, Tom_Greg said:

For me it's OP. I have an overall 53% WR but in Thunderer I'm at 80% with well over 50 games, I just sick back in easy mode and burn things to the waterline from 24km out. 

Super boring play style.

[SRBL]
Members
551 posts
15,105 battles
15 minutes ago, Rothgar_57 said:

Super boring play style.

Agreed, I have more fun in my Georgia. 

[WOLFG]
Members
33,617 posts
10,438 battles
9 hours ago, thebigblue said:

It's clumsy, squishy, a fairly low health pool...

To be fair, I don't find it any squishier than Iowa, and it's definitely less clumsy than Musashi or FdG. As for the health pool, IMO, it's balanced out by the ridiculous cooldown on the heal.

9 hours ago, thebigblue said:

I find the Thunderer suites me more. Im pretty good at aiming and the Thunderer rewards good shooters. I'm patient and am comfortable supporting the team with accurate and effective  supporting fire for a few minutes before moving closer.

Same. Although I play Georgia the same way. At range, I can use all 6 guns without too much trouble, and the accuracy gives me just as many or more solid hits than Iowa with 50% more barrels, not to mention a 3+ second faster reload.

Where I do have some issues is close-in. When most of your shells are going to hit anyway, having 6 barrels instead of 9 is not as useful. (especially since the 18" guns don't have all that much alpha over the 16")

[PVE]
Members
1,147 posts
9,609 battles

I would get (and did get) Thunderer first because 8 barrels is better than 6. More guns can also mean that when your dispersion trolls you it isn't as bad.

[CDOH]
Members
905 posts
8,510 battles

I would get the thunderer too. Its a very good ship.  If i had a MASSA i would get the Georgia first.  Thunderer is just boring. Georgia is like drinking Redbull and thunderer is a glass of warm milk.

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
3 hours ago, Skpstr said:

To be fair, I don't find it any squishier than Iowa, and it's definitely less clumsy than Musashi or FdG. As for the health pool, IMO, it's balanced out by the ridiculous cooldown on the heal.

Same. Although I play Georgia the same way. At range, I can use all 6 guns without too much trouble, and the accuracy gives me just as many or more solid hits than Iowa with 50% more barrels, not to mention a 3+ second faster reload.

Where I do have some issues is close-in. When most of your shells are going to hit anyway, having 6 barrels instead of 9 is not as useful. (especially since the 18" guns don't have all that much alpha over the 16")

All good points. My issue with GA is I +want+ to go fast and destroy stuff +now+. I'm like a 16yo getting the keys to a Corvette. I often catch my self too late in positions I shouldn't be in just because the speed got me their sooner than I thought. Lol. It's a blast. I just seem to be more effective longer in Thunderer.

[KILL]
Members
1,073 posts
12,374 battles

2 and a half months

Tirpitz

Massachusetts

Dunkerque

Texas

Ishizuchi

Indianapolis

Graf Spee

Average battle experiance 250 higher than me = perma premium time

Spend on young whale.   The big wigs at WeeGee support you.   Just don't feel bitter when they don't, like everyone else here.

Edited by WES_HoundDog

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

I'm a fan of the Georgia, it's ridiculously fun, IMO play it more like a gonzo version of the supercruisers than a battleship.