You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
wazaaup

Want to get to Iowa as fast as possible. Need some help.

12 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
118 battles

So right now i am at New Mexico and i want to get to Iowa as fast as possible. I have the ability to research the Colorado but only if i use my free XP which is around 20k. So whats the best strategy into getting the Iowa fast? I heard that the Colorado isn't that good so i would want to get past it as soon as possible. Wouldn't mind playing the North Carolina a few more games if that means speeding through the Colorado.( I am actually using the wrong account for this post right now so don't get confused with my current stats and ships)*

Edited by wazaaup

[-RNG-]
Supertester
3,196 posts
5,913 battles

No use in using a free xp in a fully upgraded ship. I'd save that free xp to get Colorados modules early, and maybe finish her sooner with anything leftover. NC is a great boat so there is no missing out there 

• Cool 1

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts
19 minutes ago, wazaaup said:

So right now i am at New Mexico and i want to get to Iowa as fast as possible. I have the ability to research the Colorado but only if i use my free XP which is around 20k. So whats the best strategy into getting the Iowa fast? I heard that the Colorado isn't that good so i would want to get past it as soon as possible. Wouldn't mind playing the North Carolina a few more games if that means speeding through the Colorado.

Many would disagree with this because it is not really teaching you what you need to know:

Take New Mexico into Operations and run the heck out of her to get to Colorado. 

Highly suggest NOT using your FXP to get to Colorado.  Use your FXP to bypass Colorado or make the grind through her less painful.

Edit:

Forgot operations changed on Wednesday - was not able to play last night.  Follow Sovereigndawg suggestion below for quicker progress.  Under any other circumstance, follow above.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,076 posts
19,204 battles
12 minutes ago, wazaaup said:

So right now i am at New Mexico and i want to get to Iowa as fast as possible. I have the ability to research the Colorado but only if i use my free XP which is around 20k. So whats the best strategy into getting the Iowa fast? I heard that the Colorado isn't that good so i would want to get past it as soon as possible. Wouldn't mind playing the North Carolina a few more games if that means speeding through the Colorado.( I am actually using the wrong account for this post right now so don't get confused with my current stats and ships)*

Use the New Mexico in operations, unfortunately the operation of the week is Narai, which is a tier 7 operation so you would have to have a team to do the tier 6 ones. If you get the Colorado with Free XP, you can use it now in Narai and get past it today easily. If you don't know how to do Operation Narai you can check it out on you tube.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,614 posts
26 minutes ago, wazaaup said:

Impatience is how WG stays in business, but it's not going to improve your game experience......

• Cool 2

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,079 posts
19,484 battles

First, if you have premium time, that is a help.

Second if you belong to a clan with a fully built base, you get discounts on repair costs and bonuses to the different types of XP.

Third, division with people you can voice communicate with. Major help.

In addition, here are a couple links to camouflage and signals that might help. Just look through and pick the XP boosting abilities of both

camouflage https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Camouflage

signals 

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/guides/signal-flags/

Hope that helps

[UN1]
Members
1,386 posts
4,495 battles
15 hours ago, wazaaup said:

I would just focus on playing and learning the game.  You want the Iowa because of her incredible history, and it feels amazing unlocking her and seeing her for the first time.  Then you quickly realize that the Iowa is difficult and often frustrating ship to play, and that you wasted your FXP getting to her.  I wouldn't put it past people to skip the Colorado, but don't skip the North Carolina.  The NorCal is probably the best ship of the entire USA BB tech tree.

Montana is an excellent and worthy T10 btw.  Everything that frustrated you with the US line is resolved with the Montana. 

Members
859 posts
4,679 battles

You're almost surely going to run into silver issues later in the grind. Just ignore the FXP for now.

Members
78 posts
4,084 battles

There aren't really any ''bad' ships, just bad players. They all play differently, they each teach you lessons. You don't want to be in Tier 9 with sub 200 games, neither would your team appreciate it.

Members
1,744 posts
8,862 battles

Colorado is a frustrating ship for many because players don’t adapt to the larger maps that tier 7 sees. If you take a tier 5 sailing down the edge of the map, you can still win. Try that with a tier 7 and you will be out of range, show up late to the fight, and make your team lose. 

Other than speed, Colorado is a great ship, so as long as you don’t point your bow in a direction that it will take forever to come back from it’s good. Don’t yolo, but keep the middle of the map within 10-14 km and don’t get stuck behind anything that blocks your guns.

Using FXP to buy modules might make sense, but don’t use it to buy the ship or buy your way to the next ship. Play through the mid tiers and find a way to win with them. The gun handling, armor angling, and rudder are similar enough to tier 8+ that it really pays to master tier 6 and 7. 

Personally, I found the NM and CO frustrating until I came back to them later. They are hard if you play badly — putting any BB where it’s too distant to shoot accurately or where it’s guns are blocked by islands is stupid, but it’s more punishing in slower ships. They became a lot easier and more fun once I realized that I needed to push to mid range and then keep them there. 

[_PBR_]
Members
13 posts
3,275 battles
On 6/4/2020 at 9:29 PM, wazaaup said:

Play a lot of random battles, use flags, if u have SPECIAL flags use them. Camos help a lot. If you get the world of warships premium account then you will get almost double the amount of xp if not even more!

Members
81 posts
10,201 battles
On 6/4/2020 at 2:29 PM, wazaaup said:

The best way is to acquire an an Elite Upper Tier (8-9-10) Ship with a level 21 commander and play the snot out of it. Then all the XP you earn is Free XP and Elite Commander XP.