You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Slattery

Broke again!!!

31 comments in this topic

Members
2,126 posts
7,630 battles

I have been able to save up credits over the last few months until I had nearly 50 million of the little goomers.  Yay me!  :cap_horn:

Then I got dogpiled by some tech tree ships.  Say hello to Akatzuki, Shiriatsuyu, Neptune and Wooster....  :Smile_medal:

and say goodbye to all my credits.  :Smile_sceptic:

Can you spare a dime, brother?

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,786 posts
21,696 battles
10 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Sure. Just sent three easy payments of $19.95 to my Chinese bank account and I'll send you 100 million credits.

• Funny 5
  • Boring 1

Members
859 posts
4,679 battles

I sold gun & range upgrades on ships I never play. I don't actually sell the ships themselves.

The 10k RB points can net you a significant amount of silver by selling flags.

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles

You should have a base of 50m credits after you purchase ships not before...lol.

Check your inventory and see if you have old hulls and other upgrades you can sell to rebuild your credits.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,433 posts
18,402 battles
44 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Then I got dogpiled by some tech tree ships...

and say goodbye to all my credits.  

I used to NOT have this problem, because I would sell ships when I was done with them.

In fact, not only did I use to sell them; I used to keep a running tally of how much silver they had made in battle. When the earnings plus sale price equalled the amount spent on ship, upgrades and modules, out the door it went.

Then, along came snowflakes and (later) free port slots, and there went any incentive I had to get rid of the previous ship.

I still keep a record of all my battles - ship, mode, tiers involved, carriers present, XP, cash, commander XP - but I'm so far behind on spreadsheeting it I know I'll never catch up.

It looks something like this (figures pulled out of thin air as filler):

Leander C75.cb 1023/53479/1494 - translates as Leander, Co-op battle, highest tier present = 7, lowest = 5. cb= green CV bot present (human would be cv), by definition Tier 6. 1023 ship XP, 53479 credits earned after costs deducted, 1494 commander XP earned.

55 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Neptune and Wooster....

Tiers 9 and 10 are expensive, because each demands an extra ~7 million for the upgrade modules, plus several million more for the hull, GFCS, etc. upgrades if you choose to FXP them immediately. You can pretty much have an entire T7 ship ready to go just for what the T9 modules cost. In fact, Tier 9 is often (though not always) more expensive than Tier 10 because of those B (and sometimes C) hulls, GFCS, etc. that have to be researched and bought for T9 but not T10. 

I recently got the Audacious, free XPing the last 1/3 of the grind in order to get her immediately and use her to grind through the last mission of the Jerzy Swirski campaign before the next patch drops. In order to afford her, I used doubloons to strip the modules off the Shokaku (which I barely play any more), then I sold the Shokaku. I will buy her back as a bare hull for Christmas snowflakes and drive her completely stock.

In the meantime, I intend her place at Tier 8 to be taken by the Kaga. I was never going up to the Hakuryu anyway.

1 minute ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

You should have a base of 50m credits after you purchase ships not before...lol.

They just creep up on you. And even when you have lots after buying the ships, they do sneaky things like drop half-price module sales during clan battles, so you're buying them up left, right and centre to stick on the rentals for safekeeping (and auto-demount to inventory). I think I'm in about my fourth or fifth credit crunch of the year, and that's AFTER I made 20 million on the premium consumables I was hoarding. My next big windfall of any kind is the duplicate credits for Graf Spee in the upcoming event, and that's about it.  Then I have to sit down and budget for the future. Oland, Z-23, German carriers, AL Yukikaze modules if she ever comes back, etc. etc. etc.

Fortunately I've topped out a few of my grinds (either reaching Tier 10 or deciding not to go all the way there), and they won't be costing me that much more, if anything.

After nearly three years playing this game, I'm starting to understand the basics of long-term military budgeting. :Smile_child:

• Cool 1

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

They just creep up on you. And even when you have lots after buying the ships, they do sneaky things like drop half-price module sales during clan battles, so you're buying them up left, right and centre to stick on the rentals for safekeeping (and auto-demount to inventory). I think I'm in about my fourth or fifth credit crunch of the year, and that's AFTER I made 20 million on the premium consumables I was hoarding. My next big windfall of any kind is the duplicate credits for Graf Spee in the upcoming event, and that's about it.  Then I have to sit down and budget for the future. Oland, Z-23, German carriers, AL Yukikaze modules if she ever comes back, etc. etc. etc.

Fortunately I've topped out a few of my grinds (either reaching Tier 10 or deciding not to go all the way there), and they won't be costing me that much more, if anything.

After nearly three years playing this game, I'm starting to understand the basics of long-term military budgeting. :Smile_child:

I need to run some WG finance courses on this site...lol.

I had a credit crunch 5 years ago and then I realized I was a fully baked potato. After that I not only relearned the game but always assured myself of having a proper base of credits so this would never be an issue again. I've been over 400m credits for at least the last two years now and I grinded out  plenty of lines for clan battles over that time.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,433 posts
18,402 battles
4 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

I had a credit crunch 5 years ago

That was at the very dawn of the game!

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles
16 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That was at the very dawn of the game!

Shhh, people will think I'm a WoWs dinosaur :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 2

[TWFT]
Members
1,503 posts
41,315 battles

I thought I was all smart and stuff getting the Mighty Mo to always have a banking ship, but I suck at BB's so now I'm in the same boat (pun not intended, I'm not that smart).

[BEA5T]
Members
5,288 posts
24,018 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Really, PM me and I can walk you through FAR 15 compliance, reporting and budgeting and EVMS.......over a few weeks or so...! 

One word comes to mine when someone says military budgeting: Freudian.  Or, the sub-plot of a Steven King novel involving clowns, odd brothers or animals.....  (he does have a neat house in Bangor though and donates a lot to them Black Bears at UM...)

Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
1 hour ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Check your inventory and see if you have old hulls and other upgrades you can sell to rebuild your credits.

I keep 100 million credits as my reserve cap ever since the CV Rework happened and I was able to cash in my CV lines. In the past few months I did dip onto the reserves and went down to 70-80 million. But I am back up to 154 million and still climbing lol. Think my spending spree from last August until recently consumed 200-300+ million credits.

But I have greatly enlarged my fleet of ships and have them all well equipped with modules so it was worth it. Think I added 30 ships to my port bringing me up to 117 on hand. Plus since I lack premium time in order to grind XP for resource containers each day I have to play high tiers regardless of the credit costs. But with the premium consumables now being free of charge, Clan battles going on, Ranked, subs mode daily missions, ect. I finally caught back up.

I also save credits by not playing nations that were not in the top 6 Naval nations in WWII, which cuts things down a bit into being more manageable.

[HELLS]
Members
2,847 posts
31,574 battles

My baseline is 500 million credits. Below that I do not buy tech tree ships. Since I am done grinding what I want to grind line-wise, I just stockpile them. Now that premium consumables are the permanent thing and crdits caanot by economic signals, I try to keep my coal levels around 300K or so while awaiting the coal ship changes, and occassionally use coal and coupons to buy any signals I may need.

When you firts start out in the game the grind makes you credit-poor anyway, but once you stop grinding, it piles up.

[COSTA]
[COSTA]
Members
235 posts
8,931 battles

I never set a surplus.  I do have around $50 million today but that is only since I bought a lot recently and haven’t needed to spend on modules and reset the Russian cruiser line.

I zeroed myself out during the module sale and then again during the VE Day ship sale.  

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts

Last year I got hit with about 6 of my lines that were going to finish in the span of about a month.  I dropped progress on 3 and started saving - helped to have the Missouri as well.

Recently got the idea of resetting lines.  Reset US BB, US CA, British BB lines.  My bank swelled to over 180mil - that may be the one good thing about the resets.

Since repurchased and kitted North Carolina, Iowa, Montana, US CA up to Buffalo, Brit BB up to Monarch.

The consumable rework helped with finances also.  Got about 50mil from my premium consumables that were sold.

I don't set surplus goals, but at 160mil and little to spend it on at this point (currently working on another 6 lines) - I guess I kind of am in a way

....then again Tallinn, Riga, Petro and Nevesky are coming soon!

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
810 posts
6,335 battles
4 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I have been able to save up credits over the last few months until I had nearly 50 million of the little goomers.  Yay me!  :cap_horn:

Then I got dogpiled by some tech tree ships.  Say hello to Akatzuki, Shiriatsuyu, Neptune and Wooster....  :Smile_medal:

and say goodbye to all my credits.  :Smile_sceptic:

I feel ya. Helena, New Orleans, Mahan, Gnevny, Budyonny, Sinop, Leander and Devonshire all dropped in over the last two months. Then the Bismark went on sale for 50% and I was just shy of Gneisenau so FXP and bought those. For us folks who haven't been here since the dawn of WoWs, the credit grind is real.

EDIT: Forgot the Zara, another mouth to feed. :)

Edited by SkullCowboy_60
  • Cool 1

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
18,291 battles

I don't purchase ships unless I have at least 100M credits on hand. A tier 10 with equipment will cost you an average of 25M. It adds up quickly. Always good to have a reserve in case you need it down the road. 

[PVE]
Members
11,071 posts
19,193 battles

Just spend 2 or 3 days playing operations with signals and camos.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,325 posts
28,732 battles

Due to the way I play shooty botes my ships tended to mature at the same time. Consequently over the years I have been broke more often than not. Now that I have almost all the tier 10s the silver stockpile has had a chance to grow so the progression of a ship to the next tier doesn't invoke Chapter 11 the way it always used to.

• Haha 1

[ARGSY]
Members
24,433 posts
18,402 battles

So I decided the best thing to do was make myself justify every purchase on paper from now on, even the tech tree ships, to slow myself down a little. I came up with this (costs given do not include clan bonuses), with a specific example I'm working on and a discussion of some categories that are less than objective:

PROPOSAL FOR ACQUISITION: HSwMS OLAND.

Type: DD, EU, Tier 8.

Resource cost:  Optional, 3000 doubloons for permacamo ($15.12 CDN as I type this).  This category includes real money, steel, coal, FXP, doubloons or event tokens. Use "nil" if you get her purely through directives or missions.

Credit cost:

• Hull in water: 8.8 million.
  • 5 x module slots: 3.875 million.
  • 50% retraining on captain: 0.2 million.
  • Total cost for full battle-readiness of stock ship: 12.875 million.
  • System upgrades: 6 million, broken down as follows...
    • Hull B for 1400hp, optimized AA: 2.4 million
    • Gun FCS B, for + 0.9km range: 1.8 million.
    • Torpedoes B, for + 3000 damage, +11 sec reload: 1.8 million.
  • Total cost over life of ship: 18.875 million

Intended Role: This is where you would talk to yourself about things like using her for the Strong-Willed campaign (while it's still going, April-October 2020) or one of the other, permanent campaigns that demands Tier 8-plus ships. "Progression to Tier 10 Halland" would be a justifiable answer, but would not in itself justify haste (e.g. breaking the credit bank, burning FXP... which I haven't figured into this template since it's all about the credit economy).

Particular Attributes: Things this ship does that other ships in your possession or in the game do not. Examples include Yudachi's combined torpedo reload booster AND smoke, or AL Yukikaze's F3 torps in a Tier 8 hull. This is mostly used to justify the purchase of a premium ship (and see below).

Urgency of Acquisition: For certain premium ships, this is where you would justify getting her NOW because she's being withdrawn forever or she's only seasonal or both (e.g. AL Yukikaze, HSF Harekaze/Graf Spee). The credit costs for these ships boil down to the number of module slots you have to fill, but the monetary cost. For tech-tree ships, urgency covers things like line splits where you stand to benefit significantly by being at a certain tier (including but not limited to Cleveland's jump to Tier 8 and Moskva becoming a Special), or where getting her by a certain date gives a significant cost saving (e.g. discount periods).

Intended Disposal: Whether you intend to keep or sell her. In these days of snowflakes and (in the past few months) free port slots, the emphasis has been on retention. If the answer is sale, for whatever reason, then the final fields you would need to invoke would be Sale Price and Nett cost over life of ship. This is where you go almost all the way through the sale options, deciding whether you're going to demount the modules (which increases Resource Cost) or sell them to get back some of the cost, sell with stock upgrades only or full upgrades, etc.

If you are going to sell them (and snowflakes be damned) and you want to stay credit-neutral or better, this is where you would have to keep a spreadsheet of your net credits at the end of each battle and include Earnings Over Life of Ship as an additional field in the disposal category.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
24,433 posts
18,402 battles

Here's another example I worked through, this time for a premium ship:

PROPOSAL FOR ACQUISITION: IJN AL YUKIKAZE.

Type: DD, IJN, Tier 8 Premium (Azur Lane Collaboration, Kagero clone).

Resource Cost: Unknown, pending return to availability.

Credit cost:

• Hull in water: Nil (premium ship). 
  • Module slots: 5 x modules, 3.875 million.
  • 50% retraining on captain: Not applicable.
  • Total credit cost for full battle-readiness of stock ship: 3.875 million.
  • System Upgrades: Nil (premium ship).
  • Total credit cost over life of ship: 3.875 million.

Intended Role: Aggressive torpedo-spam co-op combatant, using fast and hard-hitting torpedoes to farm torpedo hits, floods and ship kills while training IJN destroyer captains.

Particular Attributes: The only ship with IJN F3 torpedoes at Tier 8.

Urgency of Acquisition: Limited-availability ship, to be acquired as soon as she is returned to availability.

Intended Disposal: Retain in fleet.

Members
1,077 posts
12,794 battles

I also did not often have credit problems, since I would often sell one ship before buying the next one in the line, rather than buy port slots to just expand my fleet.  Several months worth of port slots gained via the easy/medium/hard strings of daily missions means I have not sold a ship in that span.  Credits now are often a limit on new ship purchase, but perhaps even more so are high-point commander availability.  If I did like a ship and figure to keep playing her even after eliting her, I will want to leave her commander there.  For example I have had Lightning researched since last year, but she remains unpurchased because I do not have an extra RN captain to give her.  (Maybe after I let the Bad Advice collection finish and get Cap...)

[WOLF9]
Members
1,320 posts
24,700 battles

Well, after the last round of anniversary and snowflake events, I wanted to make sure I had all of the T10s (BBs, CAs, CLs only) done before THIS year's events.  So out the door went most of my T5s- T8s.  I also sold a few T9s to get those last 3 T10s I needed.  I now have all of the T10s and 40 million credits.  Of course there are a few RU cruisers that will need to be acquired as well.

I need to rebuy (in the next few months):

4 T9s

All of the T8s

Not sure if I will rebuy any of the lower tiers.  I do have some tech tree ships that are lower tier if they fill a good niche (e.g. Sinop).  If WG comes up with some evil plan requiring the lower tiers, this may get really crazy.  :)

[ARGSY]
Members
24,433 posts
18,402 battles
14 hours ago, kyesac said:

Not sure if I will rebuy any of the lower tiers. 

It depends on how badly you want coal. 

14 hours ago, kyesac said:

If WG comes up with some evil plan requiring the lower tiers, this may get really crazy.

This is true. Shifting the steel barrier down from T9 to T8 in 2019 benefited me hugely, and more than compensated for the sub-T5 premiums not getting any coal at all. If it shifts down even further to Tier 7, things will get interesting.

As it stands, my future tech tree credit spending looks like this:

IJN: calling it quits at T8 in Cruisers, DDs, CV, where I am now; eventual goal is Yamato.

USN: All lines have been advanced as far as I feel the need to take them: CA T9, CL T8, BB T8, DD T8, CV T8. 

RN (UK): CL and CV are at Tier 10; CV needs its improved aircraft. BB, at Lion; not intending to go to Conqueror (I have Thunderer). CA - Tier 10 is a very long term goal with no immediate pressure to complete. DD at T9, want Daring.

KM: BB and Cruisers are as high as they are going; DD will go to Tier 8 (currently at 7). Incoming CV will be assessed on its merits after they drop. 

RM (Italy): Currently at Amalfi; no plans to go higher. All modules done. 

Pan-Asia: Currently at Hsienyang; no plans to go higher. B hull and GFCS need researching. 

Pan-Euro: Currently at Skane, planning right now to stop at Oland. Will reassess when I have enough XP to unlock Ostergotland.

France: BB and DD have advanced as far as I desire to go (T8). With a Space event permacamo in hand for T9 Saint-Louis, it seems a shame not to grind up to her and use it. 

VMF: BB and DD are at T8; no further progress is intended. Cruisers are in flux, but I have the Tallinn permacamo and will likely acquire her in time. Moskva is all the T10 heavy cruiser (i.e. heavier than Smolensk) that I need, and so Nevsky is a non-event, as are Petropavlovsk and consequently Riga.

I need to reacquire the Shokaku when my credit situation improves; I sold her and stripped her modules to buy and equip the Audacious to accelerate the Jerzy grind. Justified, as I am really liking the Audacious.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,338 posts

i struggle for funds, sitting on 17mil atm i think...   when I am only making 50k or even losing credits in coop... ack...  i can only run so many ops a night when I also want to grind some lines as well.  I occasionally flip back to randoms but wow.. playing too much coop and ops can hurt the pvp skills fo sho...

• Boring 1

[KEGEL]
Members
300 posts
13,632 battles

As all PvE players are painfully aware, the credit grinds are generally the biggest hurdles to advancing up the techtrees, short of opening the wallet.

Certainly struggled early on especially when a little OCD and determined to hang on to even the trashiest of dumpster fire barges. Had to employ some creative strategies to remain in the black.

Premium time and economic flags & Camo. Premium isn't an issues if purchased when 50% off. Camos become less of an issue after playing for a while, just accumulate so many. Economy flags are probably my biggest expense, always equipped on high tier boats.

Techtree discounts. Aways waited till discounts rolled around till purchasing the next unlocked ship. These don't come up as often anymore sadly but largely offset by Clan buildings. In short if not in a Clan join one or at least fork up the couple K doubloons and create one to start collecting that oil.

Freebie(ish) prem boats & perma Camos. Any event that offered either of these, always made an attempt to complete. Tier 8's Camos are nice but the tier 9s & 10s are the real prizes.

Routinely go thru inventory to flog off the stock modules and the trash tier Camos. Usually do this a couple times a year now. 

Gaming the system. The big changes WG likes to unveil from time to time often have a credit compensation component. Milk these whenever possible. I've run my credit balance almost to zero twice in last 6-8 months. Back up 245 million because I've taken advantage of these situations. The big ones were the changes to upgrades, premium consumables & line changes and splits. The upgrade change was especially lucrative, remember clearing out inventory of all my crap just to purchase as many of the effected upgrades during a 50% off sale because WG was going to credit back 100% their value once patch dropped. The premium consumables was also another big one. Rarely used 'em in PvE so had a huge stockpile. Also made 10'ish million by selling Moskva & Kirov before patch 9.5 hit.

LU/UU. If you'd unlocked and purchased the select tier 10s prior to these Upgrades being moved behind the 'Regrind Bureau' all the sub missions are now now worth 1.25 million credits aside from the last (2x Asian Lantern? + UU/LU).

2 & 3x first win special events. Filter your carousel for all high tier prem boats and play as many as possible. Focus on the ridiculous ATM boats like the Mo & Kobayashi skinned ships (Kii, tier 7 Amagi BB & Ravioli beer can). Throw on those Dragonic flags. Usually save the Asian Camos for those stubborn tier 9 techtree grinds during these periods tho.

The scenario maps were also a good source of credits, haven't touched those in a while so not sure if they have the same yield.

EDIT;

Forgot to mention, end of year tier 6 techtree ship missions. Over the last few years WG has had those 'skip to tier 6' ship missions. If you don't have these ships definitely worth doing, even better if you do. The 3.5 million a pop is a nice boost to credit balance.

Edited by SlightlyComatose