You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Alpha_Mike_Foxtrot

Sub Overhaul in Detail: part 1- offense

3 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
32 posts
417 battles

To be clear. I have Been playing subs extensively since I received them. I also played them extensively in the pts. 

We all know the problems the submarine system has right now. Both in broken elements giving them unfair advantages and in elements that cripple their capabilities. So I will be proposing an alternative in several parts. This part is purely addressing the offensive system and capabilities. 

The homing or “ping” system: 

In short it is an interesting idea that has no place. It is too easily ignored to deal equivalent damage and encourages players to do the opposite of what a submarines role always has been: assassination of shipping. I would completely remove it from the game. And instead replace it a system that I will get into in another part for it is not offensive in nature. 

Torpedoes:

I agree that submarines, by their nature and fragility need an edge in attack.  For me that is where I try to combine history with game mechanics in a compromise. Historically, the first torpedo of any homing capability was German and did not appear until 1943. However, I recognize that only having one nation with homing technology is a no go. These torpedoes were also passive sonar homing only. I also recognize that submarine on submarine warfare is going to be orders of magnitude more prevalent than anything even close in history.  

How do we blend the two. The way I view that is with a system we already have. Ammunition. As such my proposal is to give submarines (and possibly DDs as an option to depth charges) two types of torpedoes.

The first I am designating “anti-shipping”. 
Attributes - 

1)no ability to dive. Will only run near          the surface or climb up to then run on the surface. Their climb angle will be shallow, meaning that if you fire them deep  they most likely will not make it to the surface in time. These are designed to be fired from the surface or near it. 

2) narrow but long passive homing “listening cone” (say 25-40 percent of total range) They would not “stop homing” inside of a certain distance from target but are the easiest to “break lock” with. 
                     3)high running speed (between 70-100kmh), but slow turning and directional change abilities.
                     4) comparable warhead to normal DDs torpedoes. Random number generator will create a run depth spread that will give a chance of citadel hit. 
                     5)relatively short range. Say between 3-4km. 

6) torpedo lead indicator will have a “calculation” time. You will have to target a ship and wait a 1-3 seconds before you will be givin his lead. You can always fire before if you want to “fire from the hip”.

the second I am designating “anti-submarine
Attributes- 

1) much slower than their anti-shipping counterpart. Say 30kmh or so. But with a much better turn and rudder shift capability. Able to track in Three dimensions. 
                2) wider but shorter range  passive “listening cone”. Say 10-20 percent of total range

3) extremely short range. Say 3km. But with a short arming distance. Say 100m or so. 
                4) weak damage capability  virtually useless against surface ships outside of a DD on deaths door. 
                5) these anti-submarine torpedoes could be offered as alternative weapons to Depth Charges on DDs for ASW operations

Game Interface: I am mostly fine with the surface to 5.9 interface. However I would like to see a crosshair system that is designed for sub on sub combat. Give us a “gunsight” for lack of a better term. Or better yet, when submerged  have the aiming circle auto center on the camera and be hard linked to the nose of the sub. Let us control the sub with the mouse like you already have set up for the airplanes. 

This concludes the “offense” section 

Part 2 to come 

[N9PTS]
Members
156 posts
605 battles
1 hour ago, Alpha_Mike_Foxtrot said:

To be clear. I have Been playing subs extensively since I received them. I also played them extensively in the pts. 

We all know the problems the submarine system has right now. Both in broken elements giving them unfair advantages and in elements that cripple their capabilities. So I will be proposing an alternative in several parts. This part is purely addressing the offensive system and capabilities. 

The homing or “ping” system: 

In short it is an interesting idea that has no place. It is too easily ignored to deal equivalent damage and encourages players to do the opposite of what a submarines role always has been: assassination of shipping. I would completely remove it from the game. And instead replace it a system that I will get into in another part for it is not offensive in nature. 

Torpedoes:

I agree that submarines, by their nature and fragility need an edge in attack.  For me that is where I try to combine history with game mechanics in a compromise. Historically, the first torpedo of any homing capability was German and did not appear until 1943. However, I recognize that only having one nation with homing technology is a no go. These torpedoes were also passive sonar homing only. I also recognize that submarine on submarine warfare is going to be orders of magnitude more prevalent than anything even close in history.  

How do we blend the two. The way I view that is with a system we already have. Ammunition. As such my proposal is to give submarines (and possibly DDs as an option to depth charges) two types of torpedoes.

The first I am designating “anti-shipping”. 
Attributes - 

1)no ability to dive. Will only run near          the surface or climb up to then run on the surface. Their climb angle will be shallow, meaning that if you fire them deep  they most likely will not make it to the surface in time. These are designed to be fired from the surface or near it. 

2) narrow but long passive homing “listening cone” (say 25-40 percent of total range) They would not “stop homing” inside of a certain distance from target but are the easiest to “break lock” with. 
                     3)high running speed (between 70-100kmh), but slow turning and directional change abilities.
                     4) comparable warhead to normal DDs torpedoes. Random number generator will create a run depth spread that will give a chance of citadel hit. 
                     5)relatively short range. Say between 3-4km. 

6) torpedo lead indicator will have a “calculation” time. You will have to target a ship and wait a 1-3 seconds before you will be givin his lead. You can always fire before if you want to “fire from the hip”.

the second I am designating “anti-submarine
Attributes- 

1) much slower than their anti-shipping counterpart. Say 30kmh or so. But with a much better turn and rudder shift capability. Able to track in Three dimensions. 
                2) wider but shorter range  passive “listening cone”. Say 10-20 percent of total range

3) extremely short range. Say 3km. But with a short arming distance. Say 100m or so. 
                4) weak damage capability  virtually useless against surface ships outside of a DD on deaths door. 
                5) these anti-submarine torpedoes could be offered as alternative weapons to Depth Charges on DDs for ASW operations

Game Interface: I am mostly fine with the surface to 5.9 interface. However I would like to see a crosshair system that is designed for sub on sub combat. Give us a “gunsight” for lack of a better term. Or better yet, when submerged  have the aiming circle auto center on the camera and be hard linked to the nose of the sub. Let us control the sub with the mouse like you already have set up for the airplanes. 

This concludes the “offense” section 

Part 2 to come 

Homing torpedoes information

Surprisingly yeah I agree with you but there are some things you don't know about homing torpedoes that I do know Yes they were only made by Germany but you don't know is that there's only 51 of them ever made and there's only 2 of them that survive today

In having homing torpedoes in the game makes submarines better it doesn't without them it makes him too easy to kill

they were the rarest torpedo used during the war

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
32 posts
417 battles
18 minutes ago, Number9Pounder said:

Homing torpedoes information

Surprisingly yeah I agree with you but there are some things you don't know about homing torpedoes that I do know Yes they were only made by Germany but you don't know is that there's only 51 of them ever made and there's only 2 of them that survive today

In having homing torpedoes in the game makes submarines better it doesn't without them it makes him too easy to kill

they were the rarest torpedo used during the war

Nice to know! Active homing doesn’t really have a place in this game though. On that we agree I think