You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
handybilly

We could use a few cheaper steel ships

18 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
729 posts
11,254 battles

I have been slowly building up my steel and came so close to getting the Black. However, for the time being Black and Flint are gone and the only steel options are very pricey. I really only play ranked to get some flags and steel and now there is no real incentive to play unless I go all in,  and I am miles away from having enough steel for a big ticket ship. Don't know what the long term plan is but they need some reasonably priced steel ships. 

[CNO]
Members
6,590 posts
19,795 battles

It's called inflation.  When Flint and Black were available, the pool of steel in the hands of the consumer was relatively small.  As steel has become more available to average Joe, an inflation effect has occurred.  Lot more steel in circulation in the hands of a lot more players.  In order to maintain rarity of steel ships, WG must increase the price proportionate to the steel in circulation.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,433 posts
18,402 battles
1 minute ago, Soshi_Sone said:

When Flint and Black were available, the pool of steel in the hands of the consumer was relatively small. 

The other thing about Flint and Black is that they were originally prizes for Ranking out (I think 3 and 5 times?). 

7 minutes ago, handybilly said:

However, for the time being Black and Flint are gone and the only steel options are very pricey.

I really only wanted the Flint and the Black. Black I got at Christmas, thanks to snowflakes and a very well timed supercontainer, and when I found out that Flint and Neustrashimy were being pulled and eventually becoming coal ships, I was ecstatic.

Ranked is a milieu I don't do well in, because I don't suffer fools lightly and Throwing Syndrome is sickeningly common there. The complete absence of steel ships that I actually want makes it very easy to give it a miss and tell myself I'm not missing out on anything. You heard that right. I don't want Stalingrad, Bourgogne, Somers or Shikishima.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
729 posts
11,254 battles

Well, I just celebrated my 2nd year and only have about 9k steel. But I am only moderately interested in ranked.

[ARGSY]
Members
729 posts
11,254 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The other thing about Flint and Black is that they were originally prizes for Ranking out (I think 3 and 5 times?). 

I really only wanted the Flint and the Black. Black I got at Christmas, thanks to snowflakes and a very well timed supercontainer, and when I found out that Flint and Neustrashimy were being pulled and eventually becoming coal ships, I was ecstatic.

Ranked is a milieu I don't do well in, because I don't suffer fools lightly and Throwing Syndrome is sickeningly common there. The complete absence of steel ships that I actually want makes it very easy to give it a miss and tell myself I'm not missing out on anything. You heard that right. I don't want Stalingrad, Bourgogne, Somers or Shikishima.

If Black becomes a coal ship then I will be fine. 

[-RNG-]
Supertester
3,196 posts
5,913 battles
2 minutes ago, handybilly said:

I think it was confirmed she would be back for coal no sooner than 6 months after her removal. When she will return nobody knows.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,433 posts
18,402 battles
2 minutes ago, handybilly said:

That's the plan, and I hope they stick to it. I wasn't at all bothered when they announced it, less than a month after I bought her with steel. The silver lining - that I won't have to find the coal for her when she comes back and can concentrate on the Flint and Neustrashimy - was more than adequate compensation.

1 minute ago, _BBaby said:

I think it was confirmed she would be back for coal no sooner than 6 months after her removal. When she will return nobody knows.

Yep. The question, as always, is WHEN. Any time just before Christmas this year would be good, so I can burn my June coal coupon on one of them and the Christmas coupon on the other. 

[WOLFC]
Members
2,771 posts
11,285 battles

The thing to remember is that WG’s stated reason for removing the three cheaper steel ships (and making them coal ships 6+ months later) was lack of demand i.e people were not “buying” them. Most players were saving their steel for the more expensive ships.

If this is the case, WG has little incentive to introduce new cheaper steel ships. They would be better served just putting them in the premium shop where players will spend real money for them, provided they are not tier X, of course.

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
30,143 battles
53 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

It's called inflation.  When Flint and Black were available, the pool of steel in the hands of the consumer was relatively small.  As steel has become more available to average Joe, an inflation effect has occurred.  Lot more steel in circulation in the hands of a lot more players.  In order to maintain rarity of steel ships, WG must increase the price proportionate to the steel in circulation.

Steel ships are priced in a way where you pretty much have to play clan battles in order to get them in a timely manner. I didn't play the first 2 seasons of clan battles and I have only received the full amount of steel (up though hurricane) in seasons 7, 8, and 9. Yet, I still have 82k steel leftover and am only missing the bourgogne and neustrashimy. I've been pleasantly surprised that the price of steel ships hasn't increased despite more and more steel becoming commonly available. Just getting your squall, gale, and maybe a few storm wins would net you a similar amount of steel to ranking out. 

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles
4 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Well, if we are to believe WG (stop laughing already, people!) they said the reason for removal those ships (plus Nutraslimmy) was due to LOW demand for those ships. The rarity was maintaining itself due to no one picking them up.

[O7]
Members
1,514 posts
11,702 battles

32k steel for the shikishima luckily its a nerfed yamato and there is no reason to pick it up.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,320 posts
24,700 battles

A couple of things:

I believe that with 9.5 getting 20 steel a day will be part of the daily missions.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  It's not much, but it is something.

I have played ranked for the first time ever.  I am rank 11 and hope to get rank 10 by the end.  I did accumulate a few thousand steel along the way.  YAY !!  I am at 11k steel.  I do want the Stalingrad, but it is still a few years away.  Also, the Shikishima with buffed secondaries may be interesting as a secondary build.  Depends on the cost and timing.  I do have a nice group of T8-T10s for any special event like the anniversary or snowflake ones coming up.

[-AFK-]
Members
1,277 posts
15,937 battles
Just now, kyesac said:

A couple of things:

I believe that with 9.5 getting 20 steel a day will be part of the daily missions.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  It's not much, but it is something.

I have played ranked for the first time ever.  I am rank 11 and hope to get rank 10 by the end.  I did accumulate a few thousand steel along the way.  YAY !!  I am at 11k steel.  I do want the Stalingrad, but it is still a few years away.  Also, the Shikishima with buffed secondaries may be interesting as a secondary build.  Depends on the cost and timing.  I do have a nice group of T8-T10s for any special event like the anniversary or snowflake ones coming up.

I managed to get Flint, Only steel ship I have ever got. I am very happy with it

Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles
3 hours ago, eagle_lance said:

Yet, I still have 82k steel leftover and am only missing the bourgogne and neustrashimy.

If you're sitting on 82k steel, why not buy the Bourgogne? Not like they're giving us anything else to spend it on. I've got something like 55k sitting in my port and have nothing to do with it.

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,581 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Playing ranked until rank 11 or rank 6is an easy way to get steel every season. Even if you convert it to coal.

Getting to Rank 11 gets you 1250 steel (plus clanbase bonuses) and it's not particularly difficult to get there. Rank 10 gives you a flag, so it's not really worth going past 11 unless you want to get to rank6.

If you want to play to Rank 6 you can get another 1200 steel, but it's a lot more work to go from 11 -->6 than it is from 17--> 11.

Edited by enderland07

[CYNIC]
Members
3,053 posts
8,311 battles
3 hours ago, eagle_lance said:

Steel ships are priced in a way where you pretty much have to play clan battles in order to get them in a timely manner. I didn't play the first 2 seasons of clan battles and I have only received the full amount of steel (up though hurricane) in seasons 7, 8, and 9. Yet, I still have 82k steel leftover and am only missing the bourgogne and neustrashimy. I've been pleasantly surprised that the price of steel ships hasn't increased despite more and more steel becoming commonly available. Just getting your squall, gale, and maybe a few storm wins would net you a similar amount of steel to ranking out. 

I'm less than a yr and 4 mo into the game, have stalin and 27k steel on hand with more to go in ranked.  Glad that steel is as easily accessible as it is.

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
30,143 battles
2 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

If you're sitting on 82k steel, why not buy the Bourgogne? Not like they're giving us anything else to spend it on. I've got something like 55k sitting in my port and have nothing to do with it.

I already used the coupon on the somers. When it comes up again I might get it but its pretty uninteresting imo

[R-F]
Members
137 posts
9,320 battles
38 minutes ago, eagle_lance said:

I already used the coupon on the somers. When it comes up again I might get it but its pretty uninteresting imo

With how much steel you got a coupon would be meaningless anyway, every unicum should try bourgogne.