Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

"Double" Rangefinders

3 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
5,123 posts
15,315 battles

Real world question (at least on the models). I notice many of the Russian ships have what appears to be double  "arms" on their rangefinders. This seems unique to Russian ships and I was wondering what the purpose was. They are on some pretty big gunned ships so I assume it isn't separate aircraft and surface optics.

Edited by Sabot_100

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,048 posts
7,970 battles

That wasn't just a thing with Russian/Soviet rangefinders, but you could find those on some ships of other nations as well.

radar12FuMo26.thumb.jpg.3c07610a9f7b1ab71eff489af09399e4.jpg

Here for example on the German heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen, and though she only has one "arm" per side, each of them has four openings for optics.

What I've been told is that this is a way to increase the accuracy of your rangefinding, having two rangefinders instead of one per director decreases the impact of a single faulty reading (or will at least tell you to double check, like say one gets 12km and the other 15, you know at least one of them should get his eyes checked).

Members
1,612 posts
34,039 battles

Well, you have to understand how a rangefinder is constructed.

It's essentially a double armed periscope set up on the horizontal plane. But it's magnified like a telescope. The way it works is angle of coincidence. You made the image you saw match. Think gave you the range. But a double mount could mean either a redundant system, or the second one is set to a higher magnification.  Some have lense filters for low light, etc.

Sign in to follow this