Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
cheekywarship2018

Mogami: 155s or 203s

37 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
216 posts
4,229 battles

The title says it all. I am nearing the end of the grind to the Mogami and I want to know whether it is worth it to get the 203's. Before the IFHE rework this was no brainer just stick with 155s but said rework has decidely neutered their performance. Please note don't plan to take IFHE on the captain if I go with the 155s.

[V_V_V]
Members
1,076 posts
17,749 battles

YMMV, but FYI you might want to read LWM's IFHE Table before you decide.

[WOLFG]
Members
216 posts
4,229 battles
Just now, Charon2018 said:

YMMV, but FYI you might want to read LWM's IFHE Table before you decide.

I have read LWM's IHFE table but I have no intention on taking IFHE for any of my light cruisers. I prefer doing damage through fires and just aiming for the superstructure.

[WORX]
Members
13,307 posts
20,159 battles

IFHE really depends on play style for 157MM and below...

I would never recommend IFHE for 160MM and above...

Hope this helped.

[V_V_V]
Members
1,076 posts
17,749 battles
2 minutes ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

I have read LWM's IHFE table but I have no intention on taking IFHE for any of my light cruisers. I prefer doing damage through fires and just aiming for the superstructure.

The above being said, I prefer the 155s for ROT.

[BOTO]
Members
1,460 posts
18,207 battles
4 minutes ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

The title says it all. I am nearing the end of the grind to the Mogami and I want to know whether it is worth it to get the 203's. Before the IFHE rework this was no brainer just stick with 155s but said rework has decidely neutered their performance. Please note don't plan to take IFHE on the captain if I go with the 155s.

You might want to rethink that. Mogami is one of the few ships that benefited from the IFHE rework, as now she can pen 38mm armor, which is the central deck armor for USN battleships.  With IFHE, DE,  and flags, she still has an 8% fire chance.  I've done fairly well in her recently, averaging about 100k damage a game over the last 6 games I've played and don't have a problem starting fires.  I'd got with the 155mm guns and IFHE, but that's just me.

• Cool 4

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

155s if you are willing to dedicate a captain with IFHE, 20.3s otherwise.

• Cool 1

[V_V_V]
Members
1,076 posts
17,749 battles

You can always upgun to the B hull and experiment with both calibers.

[RLGN]
Members
16,220 posts
28,096 battles
13 minutes ago, Tekina_ said:

155s if you are willing to dedicate a captain with IFHE, 20.3s otherwise.

I’d say ‘why not?’

I have Atago/Takao; why have a 203mm Mogami?

155mm for spam, 203mm for smashing things.

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,916 battles

I run 203s (without IFHE) on my Mogami & find the bigger calibre more useful when one is uptiered (& you will be uptiered) so I think it's a personal; choice really, 155s or 203s.

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,628 battles
17 minutes ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

It sounds like you are moving the commander up the line so skip the IFHE...but other than the IJN gunboat DDs no other ship in the game benefitted more from the IFHE changes than the Mogami's 155s I do believe...& if you ever put a dedicated commander on the Mogami sticking to the 155s w/IFHE is the only logical option.

But as to your question...155s on the Mogami all the way...15 barrels w/10 second reload instead of 10 barrels w/the slower reload (forget exact reload on the 203s) is insanely fun...especially when you toggle between the 9 up from & the 6 in the rear for (approximately) 5 second intervals between shells flying... it's insanely fun to keep that up.

But w/all those shells (90/minute w/out AdrenalinRush factored in) it's a no brainer to take IFHE on a dedicated Mogami commander because the fires are plenty enough anyway...plus getting massive pen damage on top of that w/the IFHE...especially when only aiming at superstructures.

As a light cruiser though the Mogami is better to stick w/the 155s all the way if you'll be moving about & maneuvering a lot (kiting)...& the 155s aren't too shabby themselves for citadelling...tanked out a DM in 1 volley from 3.5km catching him coming around an island w/the 155 AP...7 from the front 9 & 2 more from the rear 6...but just enough of a delay between them to not get credit for the dev strike. Had torps on the way & he was dead before they got there.

[DOG]
Members
812 posts
14,307 battles
21 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

It sounds like you are moving the commander up the line so skip the IFHE...but other than the IJN gunboat DDs no other ship in the game benefitted more from the IFHE changes than the Mogami's 155s I do believe...& if you ever put a dedicated commander on the Mogami sticking to the 155s w/IFHE is the only logical option.

But as to your question...155s on the Mogami all the way...15 barrels w/10 second reload instead of 10 barrels w/the slower reload (forget exact reload on the 203s) is insanely fun...especially when you toggle between the 9 up from & the 6 in the rear for (approximately) 5 second intervals between shells flying... it's insanely fun to keep that up.

But w/all those shells (90/minute w/out AdrenalinRush factored in) it's a no brainer to take IFHE on a dedicated Mogami commander because the fires are plenty enough anyway...plus getting massive pen damage on top of that w/the IFHE...especially when only aiming at superstructures.

As a light cruiser though the Mogami is better to stick w/the 155s all the way if you'll be moving about & maneuvering a lot (kiting)...& the 155s aren't too shabby themselves for citadelling...tanked out a DM in 1 volley from 3.5km catching him coming around an island w/the 155 AP...7 from the front 9 & 2 more from the rear 6...but just enough of a delay between them to not get credit for the dev strike. Had torps on the way & he was dead before they got there.

See that's the rub - if you run the 155s on the Mogami with IFHE you either need to respec the captain to use it (and then remove it when you move up) OR you need a dedicated Mogami capatin. I'm currently running the 203s (got tired of shatters from the 155s without IFHE) until I get enough captain points to respec what will become a dedicated captain.

[O7]
Members
1,514 posts
11,702 battles

mogami 155 is the only way to play it, the DPM is insane but you need IFHE. in saying that though the mogami is definitely a ship worth keeping so a dedicated captain is worth it.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,628 battles
16 minutes ago, dashtardly said:

See that's the rub - if you run the 155s on the Mogami with IFHE you either need to respec the captain to use it (and then remove it when you move up) OR you need a dedicated Mogami capatin. I'm currently running the 203s (got tired of shatters from the 155s without IFHE) until I get enough captain points to respec what will become a dedicated captain.

Oh yeah... that's why I told him to skip IFHE if he (<---lol...I skipped) was running the commander up the line so he wouldn't need to respec.

But the fire potential is still insane w/out IFHE from the shear number of shells down range but IFHE is definitely the only choice for a dedicated build.

The shatters w/low fires will add up when uptiered w/all the FP skills used but AP in the upper belt will do the trick for a few vollies before you find a softer target in those scenarios as the new MM only makes you see those higher tiers 40% of the time so the extra rounds down range overall is still worth it to keep the 155s even w/out the IFHE IMO.

[UNHLY]
Members
5,069 posts
14,189 battles

If you’re planning on respeccing a captain or building a dedicated captain with ifhe, definitely the 155s. Mogami’s one of the ships that got outright buffed with the ifhe changes, since you now pen 38mm plating (high tier US BB and large cruiser decks). If you’re not taking ifhe, stick with the 203s. 

Members
4,682 posts
45,595 battles

I use the 203s. AP is deadly against other cruisers at tier and if it got uptiered. You can switch to HE and still make a decent fire. I only use DE.

If your fighting style is less accuracy and more spam, then 155s. If you are a shooter like me, then use the 203s.

[BOTO]
Members
1,460 posts
18,207 battles
2 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

I use the 203s. AP is deadly against other cruisers at tier and if it got uptiered. You can switch to HE and still make a decent fire. I only use DE.

If your fighting style is less accuracy and more spam, then 155s. If you are a shooter like me, then use the 203s.

Why would the 155mm guns be less accurate?

Members
4,682 posts
45,595 battles
12 minutes ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

They are accurate. They just make better fire starters for rate of fire. The 155mm AP round is quite good, but the citadel hits are low points compared to 203mm.

If it reloads fast, then it starts fires faster.

It's a choice and player shooting ability has bearing with the decision.

There is a saying: horseshoes and hand grenades, you don't have to be accurate. Just close.

• Boring 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,791 posts
11,320 battles
1 hour ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

52 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

They are accurate. They just make better fire starters for rate of fire. The 155mm AP round is quite good, but the citadel hits are low points compared to 203mm.

If it reloads fast, then it starts fires faster.

It's a choice and player shooting ability has bearing with the decision.

There is a saying: horseshoes and hand grenades, you don't have to be accurate. Just close.

A while back, IJN 203mm guns were buffed to have DD dispersion. This makes the IJN 203s the most accurate cruiser guns in the game. When using the 155mm guns, Mogami uses a different, less accurate dispersion table. The difference is about 8m of maximum dispersion at maximum range when fully upgraded.

Edited by Nevermore135

[ARP]
[ARP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,354 posts
4,757 battles

155 is the only way to play. Since the IFHE changes, you don't particularly need IFHE anymore.

~Hunter

[ARGSY]
Members
24,477 posts
18,460 battles

Not yet having a 14 point captain on the Mogami, I originally had IFHE but chose to swap it for Concealment Expert when we got the IFHE-related free respec. I am still content with the results; I found the extra concealment more helpful, and I prefer to have the extra fire chance. 

I did get the 203s to see what they were like; they're okay, but I preferred the 155s in the end. If only it didn't represent such a discontinuity in the line. I'd almost rather see them pull it out, Moskva-style, as the Mikuma.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
7,122 posts
22,678 battles

I haven't tried the 155's without IFHE. Ten second reload with a 14% fire chance and 15 guns is very interesting. I still don't have a grasp on how a tier 8 IFHE build has been changed concerning tier 10 ships. Since the IFHE changes, almost all of my IFHE ships have become port queens. Simply a straight nerf.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,020 posts
7,847 battles
7 hours ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

mogami 155 is the only way to play it, the DPM is insane but you need IFHE. in saying that though the mogami is definitely a ship worth keeping so a dedicated captain is worth it.

So much this...  Probably some of the best fun in this game right now...    IMO there is no other choice for Mogami.  Unfortunately this captain is not useful to be moved up in tiers to Ibuki or Zao without a respec, as IFHE becomes a waste of points beyond this tier.  

Sign in to follow this