You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
destawaits

What are your favorite/disliked maps and why?

30 comments in this topic

[LSNB]
Members
1,716 posts
6,095 battles

Feel free to express your opinion on your favorite maps or your most despised map and explain why. Being a map noob, I could really use a second opinion.

Personally, I like the Ocean map the most because of its simplicity, even though I've only played it once. Shards is also a favorite of mine because of how straightforward its gameplay is (and because of how familiar it is; I played on it a lot in T8 ranked). I don't like North because of how hard it is to formulate a push and how little cover there is, forcing me to stay at range most of the time.

Members
4,476 posts
4,779 battles

Most disliked map is Haven. Terrain is awkward to shoot over and teams always just run and camp behind the same two places. Middle is always the wild west of shoot outs or death. It is just the most awkward map to watch games unfold in.

Most liked map is Ring. Everything makes more sense, the camping spots caress the objective, a lot more room and cover to work around with enough open water to bail out if you get into trouble. Inbetween channels are safe to work in and open up options for a team to push or make plays.  You are either by the objective or taking shelter by the farther away cover. Two Brothers would come in second because it is more or less the higher tier equivalent of Ring. 

Edited by Yoshiblue
  • Cool 2

Members
4,479 posts
19,839 battles

Shards and Islands of Ice were my favorites until they were "reworked". Now they're just as meh as most of the other maps.

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,876 posts
27,161 battles

I honestly prefer Ocean. It feels the least like WoT on water. Ocean really relies on players to grasp some fundamental mechanics to succeed. Of course, a majority do not but it's really straight forward as maps go.

• Cool 2

Members
1,036 posts

my potatoes do not agitate about the seas with maps containing rocks and mountains ...they seem to like face planting ,, hiding and camping behind them .. so these dd and cl friendly maps make it next to impossible to bring the BBs into the caps and navigate out through various exits ... so any type of interference that causes  my gaming experience  to be unpleasant is not acceptable to me ..

the ocean map is a fav

[GLF]
Beta Testers
766 posts

Favourite - Ocean....a proper sea-battle map

Least Favourite - all the rest...too small and too cluttered

[SALVO]
Members
3,503 posts
7,388 battles

Most Favourite:  Trap   - BIg old caps lots of open ocean

Least Favourite:  Hotspot.  -  The caps here are actual traps  (or if low tiers Strait. )  

• Cool 2

Members
4,140 posts
14,857 battles

Favorite Map: Okinawa, I just like trying to take waifu island when I start on that flank; not sure why. I know alot of people dislike that map and dislike that point, lol.

Most Disliked Map: Two Brothers, players play like idiots on that map most frequently. Otherwise Im alright with it.

[WORX]
Members
13,291 posts
20,135 battles

Least favorite maps..

• High tier maps

Most like/fav maps

• mid tier  (5, 6 and 7)
  • Low Tier (4)
  • Ocean Map

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,330 posts
14,924 battles

Favorite: the original Islands of Ice.

Least favorite: Pretty much every one of the new maps.

[RLGN]
Members
16,213 posts
28,085 battles
19 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Favorite: the original Islands of Ice.

Least favorite: Pretty much every one of the new maps.

At the very least, any of the versions of Ice prior to the current one.

Other favorites: Trident, Estuary, Strait, Ocean.

Dislikes: the current Okinawa. The current Shards, (it’s like an illegitimate child of Shatter and Okinawa.) The current Shatter, (I hated the previous Shatter as well, but I like it more than the current one.)

Used to dislike: Strait, Ocean, (I learned to like it playing Atlanta of all things.) The previous versions of Islands of Ice, (was nooby mcnoob before and didn’t understand or appreciate how to use the previous versions. The current version is just another cookie-cutter map, similar to too many others.)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,330 posts
14,924 battles
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

At the very least, any of the versions of Ice prior to the current one.

Other favorites: Trident, Estuary, Strait, Ocean.

Dislikes: the current Okinawa. The current Shards, (it’s like an illegitimate child of Shatter and Okinawa.) The current Shatter, (I hated the previous Shatter as well, but I like it more than the current one.)

Used to dislike: Strait, Ocean, (I learned to like it playing Atlanta of all things.) The previous versions of Islands of Ice, (was nooby mcnoob before and didn’t understand or appreciate how to use the previous versions. The current version is just another cookie-cutter map, similar to too many others.)

I consider the current version one of the new maps that I and I think the first or second versions would be the best choice.

Edited by BrushWolf

[NMKJT]
Members
3,291 posts
8,468 battles

Favorite: Old Hotspot (or old Islands of Ice). Hotspot doesn't need to be cross-spawned, but that makes it even better. For current maps probably Fault Line.

Most disliked: Greece get out. Cookie cutter map but even worse than most of them. Greece has surpassed even Haven for me.

0 posts

Mountain Range is the worst because it's the same thing every time. Everyone at C and if you go any of the other places you so far out of the game. A bunch of open water shooting with no close engagements really.

Best is actually the majority of the low tier maps like Solomon Islands. I love choke points and the dynamic moments caused by them. Yes I'm guilty of going middle in Two Brothers 

Edited by Ban_CV_Complainers
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
12,662 posts
11,755 battles

Fault Line in a BB.  In a cruiser or DD, the bowl of death can be fun, but in a BB it sucks.  Every time.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,295 posts
8,554 battles

I hate Shards with a passion.  

[FAE]
Members
2,625 posts
3,677 battles

Ocean best. 

cloggy island maps bad. Symmetrical fakey looking maps bad. 

super open maps like the volcano ring one at t10 also bad. 

I preferred the older style assymetrical maps. They have much more character than these forced gameplay maps now. 

• Cool 1

[-A-8-]
Members
571 posts
22,901 battles

Wouldn't say I have a particular favourite map but if I could block a map (like you can in WoT) it would be Two Brothers all day long.

Watching half your team just sit there and do nothing for 5 minutes then all sail down the idiot channel and die in the next 2 gets very old very fast.

[WOLF3]
Members
30,951 posts
26,039 battles

There's a lot of terrible maps out there.

Maps that invite lemming trains with teams getting themselves trapped: 

Fault Line - This team invites one of the teams to Lemming Train to either the western or eastern caps.  The eastern one is a massive trap where teams like to hide and wait out the rest of the match.  Infuriating map.

Neighbors - teams tend to corner themselves in northeast or southwest for a ROFLSTOMP

Two Brothers - This could be a great map but it invites some of the worst Lemming Trains I've ever seen.

Shards - see "Neighbors"

Trap - see "Neighbors"

The Atlantic - see "Neighbors"

Mountain Range - Lemming Train map and teams often get themselves stuck in the eastern 1/3 of the map while giving up everything else.

Sleeping Giant - teams Lemming Train and get themselves stuck at the western or easternmost caps.

Okinawa - lots of teams Lemming Train to northwest cap / Cap A and get themselves stuck there.  The big island between the central and northwestern cap only becomes an obstacle that makes pushing out of there even harder.  The team that stuck with the center and southeastern cap then wins easy.  Stupid map.

Maps that invite the stupidest movement by players:

Strait - Those channels in the west and eastern parts of the map tend to attract a lot of players going there and being a non-factor for a significant portion of the game.  This is especially bad when it's one of those 21kt BBs basically taking themselves out of half the game.

North - Ships, especially BBs, for some reason like hiding out in the 9 / 10 lines out in the east, past the big islands there.

Northern Lights - See "North"

Dull Boring Design:  Stuff like maps mirroring each other.

Ice Islands

Greece

I don't have a favorite map anymore, it hasn't been around for years.  All it really is now is which one I can tolerate better than the list I have above.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,912 battles

Ocean is most favourite as pretty much all naval battles were actually fought on open water without any islands or lands near enough to be a factor.

Least favourite map? None  really although WG games do not have any real variety. It's always the same old same old.

WG products require an open form map - a different map & situation for every game.

This could be done by WF (err, pardon me, WG).

Members
1,428 posts
1,852 battles

No idea what my favorite is, but I hate the layout of Islands. The land is too tall to shoot over with anything but American 5-inch guns and too small for me to take cover behind. The middle is a brawl almost every time and sometimes it gets boring. Not to mention that as soon as you get in between the islands you get spotted.

[LSNB]
Members
1,716 posts
6,095 battles

Ah, I forgot about Estuary; 'tis an enjoyable map where there are many opportunities to flank and sail between caps. Two Brothers, although straightforward, might be too large and open for my liking; people often get kited and have their caps taken right under them.

I agree that Mountain Range is the worst map; the game often devolves into a massive campfest.

[LSNB]
Members
1,716 posts
6,095 battles
42 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

North - Ships, especially BBs, for some reason like hiding out in the 9 / 10 lines out in the east, past the big islands there.

"No BBs allowed? Yeah, right."

proceeds to remove all cap presence, gets torped by C cap DD, and loses game