You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheArc

Odin reload slowed from 20s to 23s

71 comments in this topic

[FORM]
Members
2,382 posts
13,548 battles

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/27

Main battery reload time increased from 20 to 23 sec.
Secondary battery firing range increased from 7.5 to 7.7 km.
Secondary battery 128 mm reload time reduced from 3.6 to 3.4 sec.
Secondary battery 150 mm reload time reduced from 7.5 to 7.0 sec.
Continuous AA damage increased from 249 to 258;
Damage by Medium-Range AA guns reduced from 336 to 333;
Damage by Long-Range AA guns increased from 249 to 258.

-----------

I think that reload change might be the nail in the coffin for me as far as being interested in the BB. The HP was already a problem, but it really sounds like they just want the Odin to be a target. 

• Cool 6

[WOLFC]
Members
259 posts
10,459 battles
7 minutes ago, TheArc said:

Why am I not surprised lol. But hey, look on the bright side the secondary reload time was buffed!  :Smile_amazed: I think I would still like to play that ship. 

• Funny 1

[FORM]
Members
2,382 posts
13,548 battles
4 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Don't worry, it was buffed too!

Right? What's next? Improved horn sound!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

Members
131 posts
7,298 battles
31 minutes ago, TheArc said:

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/27

Secondary battery firing range increased from 7.5 to 7.7 km.
Secondary battery 128 mm reload time reduced from 3.6 to 3.4 sec.
Secondary battery 150 mm reload time reduced from 7.5 to 7.0 sec.
Continuous AA damage increased from 249 to 258;
Damage by Medium-Range AA guns reduced from 336 to 333;
Damage by Long-Range AA guns increased from 249 to 258.

-----------

I think that reload change might be the nail in the coffin for me as far as being interested in the BB. The HP was already a problem, but it really sounds like they just want the Odin to be a target. 

Thanks for this OP. I have to admit I’m a little confused about what WG is trying to accomplish with Odin. As a T8 BB it will face matchmaking with T9 and T10 cruisers (actually battle cruisers) that seem like they will have better and faster firing main armament. How will Odin fare against a Kronstadt for example? I do like the secondaries on Odin but that hardly makes up for a relatively weak main armament. 

• Cool 2

[WOLF8]
Members
8,125 posts
6,782 battles

I remember someone posting a while ago that the low HP of Odin actually makes her more of a super cruiser in disguise of a BB ship type. If you ask me, I think it... kind of makes sense?

If so, then I guess we're indeed getting a Secondary based brawling cruiser... just not named Agir, and instead named Odin... lol. :Smile_hiding:

The latest balance change is still a bit of a sad news, since it's well known that the main guns still do a lot of heavy lifting, even on Secondary based brawling ships. So I say this is overall still a nerf. TBH, I'm not sure if the improved Secondaries will make up for it. :Smile_sceptic:

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,582 posts
17,778 battles

Those secondaries are getting interesting.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,919 posts
26,019 battles
8 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I remember someone posting a while ago that the low HP of Odin actually makes her more of a super cruiser in disguise of a BB ship type. If you ask me, I think it... kind of makes sense?

If so, then I guess we're indeed getting a Secondary based brawling cruiser... just not named Agir, and instead named Odin... lol. :Smile_hiding:

The latest balance change is still a bit of a sad news, since it's well known that the main guns still do a lot of heavy lifting, even on Secondary based brawling ships. So I say this is overall still a nerf. TBH, I'm not sure if the improved Secondaries will make up for it. :Smile_sceptic:

There were people here saying Super Cruisers are too strong and should be taking a BB slot instead of a weaker Cruiser slot :Smile_coin:

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Does Odin have the maneuverability to fight like a cruiser?  

How does the very low HP total mesh with having to close to use the secondaries? 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There were people here saying Super Cruisers are too strong and should be taking a BB slot instead of a weaker Cruiser slot :Smile_coin:

Which... I just don't get.  Supercruisers are just BB-sized targets with BB-sized HP pools to farm damage from, but without BB armor or BB-level guns.  

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,582 posts
17,778 battles
11 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Does Odin have the maneuverability to fight like a cruiser?  

How does the very low HP total mesh with having to close to use the secondaries? 

Armor is very usable. The ship is very tanky when played correctly but the low health total means that when you make a mistake you are brutally punished for it.

Maximum Speed:   30 kts
Turning Circle Radius:   790 m
Rudder Shift Time:   14.1 s

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
Just now, paradat said:

Maximum Speed:   30 kts
Turning Circle Radius:   790 m
Rudder Shift Time:   14.1 s

So... no, it doesn't have cruiser maneuverability.  

[WOLFC]
Members
2,771 posts
11,291 battles
23 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Only kind of. She’s a true battlecruiser in the German tradition - well armored and fast, but with a smaller caliber main battery.

This reminds me of the threads I see every once in a while on this forum claiming that Scharnhorst should be reclassed as a tier IX super cruiser because of her 283mm guns. This ignores the armor protection, which would be ridiculous for a cruiser. I don’t recall the thickness of Odin’s belt, but I believe it is slightly thinner than Scharnhorst’s 350mm.

In this game, I’ll argue that it’s the protection, more than the gun caliber that defines where a “battlecruiser” or “large cruiser” falls in regards to MM.

6 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Which... I just don't get.  Supercruisers are just BB-sized targets with BB-sized HP pools to farm damage from, but without BB armor or BB-level guns.  

Siegfried begs to differ. She has the same armament as Gneissenau, two tiers lower.

Edited by Nevermore135

Members
131 posts
7,298 battles
7 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

Is Odin a tier 8?

Yes, thats the plan. Also, she doesn’t have the HP to really brawl. She seems to be a ship that when top tier will be good but when bottom tier will just give experience to the red team. Unless her guns and armor are made of Stalinium she isn’t going to be a popular ship

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
1 minute ago, Nevermore135 said:

Only kind of. She’s a true battlecruiser in the German tradition - well armored and fast, but with a smaller caliber main battery.

This reminds me of the threads I see every once in a while on this forum claiming that Scharnhorst should be reclassed as a tier IX super cruiser because of her 283mm guns. This ignores the armor protection, which would be ridiculous for a cruiser. I don’t recall the thickness of Odin’s belt, but I believe it is slightly thinner than Scharnhorst’s 350mm.

In this game, I’ll argue that it’s the protection, more than the gun caliber that defines where a “battlecruiser” or “large cruiser” falls in regards to MM.

Siegfried begs to differ. She has the same armament as Gneissenau, two tiers lower.

When Siegfried actually makes it into the game, it will be a sort-of exception.   (If it came out in the last few weeks, I certainly missed it, being distracted by other things both in real life and in the game itself.) 

As for Scharnhorst, I'd certainly rather take that ship into battle against tier VIII-X ships than any of the supercruisers (have Alaska, and can draw comparisons from there for the other supercruiers).  

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,046 posts
52,140 battles

Too bad she's tier 8.  I stopped buying tier 8 premiums when tier 9 and 10 premiums became available for resources.  I really want a tier 9 or 10 FXP or coal German ship.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,582 posts
17,778 battles
2 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

So... no, it doesn't have cruiser maneuverability.  

Well....hmmm

Odin: 30 / 790 / 14.1

Scharnhorst: 30 / 800 / 14.5

Tirpitz 30.5 / 850 / 16

North Carolina: 24.42 / 760 / 20 Top: 27.5 / 760 / 15.2

Amagi: 28.05 / 870 / 20.8           Top: 30 / 870 / 17.3

Vladivostok: 29 / 950 / 19.2        Top: 29 / 950 / 13.7

Bismarck: 28.52 / 850 / 22.4      Top: 31 / 850 / 11.74

Richelieu: 30.4 / 850 / 21.5         Top: 32 / 850 /15.4

Monarch: Top: 28 / 790 /15

Alaska: 33 / 850 /13

Kronshtadt: 33.5 / 840 /14.9

Admiral Hipper: 32 / 740 / 15    Top: 32 / 740 /9.2

Looks like Odin has high mobility with a very fast rudder shift. So yeah as maneuverable as a German heavy cruiser.

Edit : OK so did not realize was comparing it to stock hulls. Added the top hulls. So still good but not crazy. Added Monarch, and some other prems to the list.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
Just now, paradat said:

Well....hmmm

Odin: 30 / 790 / 14.1

Scharnhorst: 30 / 800 / 14.5

North Carolina: 24.42 / 760 / 20 

Amagi: 28.05 / 870 / 20.8

Vladivostok 29 / 950 / 19.2

Bismarck: 28.52 / 850 / 22.4

Richelieu: 30.4 / 850 / 21.5

Admiral Hipper: 32 / 740 / 15

Looks like Odin has high mobility with a very fast rudder shift. So yeah as maneuverable as a German heavy cruiser.

Are you looking at base or fully upgraded on the researchable ships?  

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,582 posts
17,778 battles
2 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Are you looking at base or fully upgraded on the researchable ships?  

All of those are Base stats from the Wiki

[KWF]
Members
6,386 posts
7,152 battles

It was bound to happen;  all rewardbotes lately are at the cusp of acceptable yet fail in some manner.

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
1 minute ago, paradat said:

All of those are Base stats from the Wiki

IMO, probably more functional to look at upgraded stats. 

Do we know if Odin has access to the slot 5 "superior" rudder upgrade?  

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,919 posts
26,019 battles
29 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

It's not me saying it, just telling you there was a bit of movement in that direction by some out there.

Alaska is very well protected from getting AP Citadel busted compared to most other Super Cruisers.  But an aware Cruiser player that isn't stupidly giving broadside can DPM Alaska down quite easily.  Alaska has good HP at 60.8k but her armor is going to get HE Pen'd and the standard of BB HP is around 80k (79k Iowa. Lion has a low 67.9k but she has Super Healz.  FDG has 84.3k and 50mm deck armor section to cause non-pens).

I remember when Kronshtadt was new, we had one of those guys that was going around islands making good flank shots.  His problem arose when a Pre-reload buff Buffalo showed up in front of him, bow on, and they started trading HE shells.  Kron couldn't use its high powered AP for a easy knockout anymore, so it was a simple HE + Fires race and Buffalo was easily winning that with only the forward 203mm x6 guns.

20 minutes ago, RYANMK48 said:

Yes, thats the plan. Also, she doesn’t have the HP to really brawl. She seems to be a ship that when top tier will be good but when bottom tier will just give experience to the red team. Unless her guns and armor are made of Stalinium she isn’t going to be a popular ship

That's the weird thing.  Odin has the fancy shmancy German 128mm secondaries, the same ones found on GK and Gneisenau and those things have an absurd 32mm HE Pen.  Odin also has torpedoes.  She sports the German BB scheme so she already leans towards a brawly nature.  But WG then strips away HP to Tier VI Bayern levels.  It totally contradicts what the ship's weapon systems and armor scheme lean towards.  Bismarck has 69.2k HP and needs every bit of that.  Odin has 52.8k so I wonder how that's shaping up for the STs / CCs.  That's a massive difference in HP for Brawling Battleships.

2 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

It was bound to happen;  all rewardbotes lately are at the cusp of acceptable yet fail in some manner.

Mikoyan continues that tradition.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,582 posts
17,778 battles
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

IMO, probably more functional to look at upgraded stats. 

Do we know if Odin has access to the slot 5 "superior" rudder upgrade?  

Not sure about upgrades. Regardless she is a very mobile BB at tier 8. So the play style will be very similar to Scharnhorst which of course makes sense. 

For me Scharnhorst with GK secondaries at tier 8 is interesting and I will be all over it.

She will have a bit of a learning curve because of that health pool. You will have to have a very flexible play style because tier of the battle will matter a lot. At tier 8 you will be a push in bully, at tier 9 will need to be very dynamic, at tier 10 you are a support ship. In all cases Cruisers will fear you and if you go secondary build (which you should) she will have some very cheeky exploits.

Looking pretty fun to me.

• Cool 4

Members
131 posts
7,298 battles
42 minutes ago, paradat said:

Not sure about upgrades. Regardless she is a very mobile BB at tier 8. So the play style will be very similar to Scharnhorst which of course makes sense. 

For me Scharnhorst with GK secondaries at tier 8 is interesting and I will be all over it.

She will have a bit of a learning curve because of that health pool. You will have to have a very flexible play style because tier of the battle will matter a lot. At tier 8 you will be a push in bully, at tier 9 will need to be very dynamic, at tier 10 you are a support ship. In all cases Cruisers will fear you and if you go secondary build (which you should) she will have some very cheeky exploits.

Looking pretty fun to me.

I hope you are right, a lot will depend on things we don’t know yet like her armor. I’d really like a T8 battle cruiser even if she is a BB