Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
cerich67

new DD ranked battle plan

13 comments in this topic

[RCN]
Members
13 posts

There is no way to win when teammates won't team...

So, give it a few mins, if more than a third of team won't comm, head off in direction rest haven't agree don or work with team, just sail into view of the red team. Get a coffee and not waste time

• Boring 1

[RCN]
Members
13 posts
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

You know by actually playing your DD you can still star save and maybe even win the battle...

a Dd is very unlikely to get enough points to save star, simply cant do that level of damage

[BOTO]
Members
1,460 posts
18,174 battles
4 minutes ago, cerich67 said:

a Dd is very unlikely to get enough points to save star, simply cant do that level of damage

It's actually easier for good DD players to carry in ranked.

• Cool 1

Members
12,613 posts
14,320 battles
2 minutes ago, cerich67 said:

:Smile_veryhappy::Smile_facepalm: You know how many times I have saved stars using DDs!? DDs are great at doing it because base capping, spotting, scouting as well as the various means of dealing damage all contribute to your XP totals.

So like if you and I both did 50,000 damage, a couple of ships sunk, but I had capped a base then my XP total would be much higher than yours. And the XP bonuses are multiplied considerably for each capture ribbon you manage to get.

Your methods suggested in this thread are pretty much guaranteed star loss each time you pull your stunt.

• Cool 1

[DVYJC]
Members
4,216 posts
10,832 battles

I save a star as a DD main about 25% of the time. Basically if I don't potato and do my job capping and spotting, maybe ding or finish off a ship, and avoid getting instantly blapped from a critical misplay or just plain bad luck, I save a star. Cap ribbons count for a ton.

If you manage to live more than half the match as a DD when your team is losing, you likely saved a star.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn
  • Cool 1

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles
37 minutes ago, cerich67 said:

DD is the easiest ship to save a star in if you play well.

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,813 posts
12,810 battles

If you play the dd the way you can,  not die and the rest of the team dies somehow, you should be able to save the stupid star.

But you have to be a pest and not sail around the outside of the match. You need to scrap your paint on the cap circle and get shot at.

Members
648 posts
2 hours ago, cerich67 said:

I've saved tons of stars in my DDs. With torps, DDs have incredibly high alpha strike potential. Plus capping helps with score as well, which DDs excel in. Also, gunboat dds usually get first whack at the enemy DDs, and since damage is calculated as a percentage of the ship's total, damage on DDs goes farthest toward getting a good score. 

DDs can totally carry this season, moreso because of lack of CV and reduced radar presence. 

[DVYJC]
Members
4,216 posts
10,832 battles
1 hour ago, mrieder79 said:

I've saved tons of stars in my DDs. With torps, DDs have incredibly high alpha strike potential. Plus capping helps with score as well, which DDs excel in. Also, gunboat dds usually get first whack at the enemy DDs, and since damage is calculated as a percentage of the ship's total, damage on DDs goes farthest toward getting a good score. 

DDs can totally carry this season, moreso because of lack of CV and reduced radar presence. 

I actually think you can save a star or win in a DD purely based on caps. With domination as the only game mode, caps are a ready source of base XP, especially in a long match where they may change hands often.

I had a win in Haida where I was top player on the winning team with less than 10k damage and only one kill... But I also had five solo caps. Basically my entire team was engaged on the strong flank, and I waited for their solo DD to cap the weak flank and then leave. Then I took it back. Several times. It was critical because we were more or less tied in combat, but we held two caps for most of the match.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

[WOLFH]
Members
1,261 posts
8 hours ago, cerich67 said:

You have clearly not played DDs with bad enough teams this season.  I saved a star twice in a row on Friday in my Shiratsuyu.

[MHG]
Members
456 posts
22,907 battles

If you watch twitch I recommend looking up @Destroyer_KuroshioKai and Mejash both of whom specialize in DD play. While Kuro does not stream often, he has very useful tips for DDs. Mejash streams regularly and is really good at Jervis which he has used exclusively this ranked season on 3 separate accounts. I have learned a lot from his weekly 4- hour long streams. If you genuinely want to up your game, go and look them up.  

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
39,026 battles
9 hours ago, cerich67 said:

lol wut? I have saved stars numerous times in DDs, with less than 40K damage, simply by shooting other DDs and capping.

Sign in to follow this