Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
db4100

In Game Destroyer Depth Charge Meta

8 comments in this topic

[LWA]
Members
1,352 posts
15,592 battles

Something I noticed while playing against submarines with a destroyer is that you can come to a complete stop over a submerged submarine and drop depth charges.....UH?  What?  With that kind of kinetic force of explosions underneath a destroyer/cruiser's hull would cause significant damage to said ship.  WG, you need to fix depth charges so that they can't be dropped when a destroyer/cruiser drops below a certain speed or otherwise let the destroyer/cruiser damage itself with its own depth charges.

my 2 cents worth of submarine critique 

• Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
15,971 posts
12,803 battles

Well, regarding 'realism' WW1/2 era aircraft couldn't take off from CVs under their own power, if the CV were not sailing fast enough into the wind.

Catapults were also not a feature on completed WW2 carriers.

Subs couldn't sail faster than WW1 era Battleships. They were around 20 knots above water and 12 knots underwater.

Subs also couldn't dive or climb as quickly as WoWs depicts them.

Edited by MrDeaf

[RG]
Members
2,894 posts
7,386 battles
51 minutes ago, db4100 said:

Something I noticed while playing against submarines with a destroyer is that you can come to a complete stop over a submerged submarine and drop depth charges.....UH?  What?  With that kind of kinetic force of explosions underneath a destroyer/cruiser's hull would cause significant damage to said ship.  WG, you need to fix depth charges so that they can't be dropped when a destroyer/cruiser drops below a certain speed or otherwise let the destroyer/cruiser damage itself with its own depth charges.

my 2 cents worth of submarine critique 

Where do we start and stop with the arcade vs reality differences, though? There’s a huge list of stuff that’s wrong from the reality perspective. Add this to it. 

[RG]
Members
2,894 posts
7,386 battles
6 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Well, regarding 'realism' WW1/2 era aircraft couldn't take off from CVs under their own power, if the CV were not sailing fast enough into the wind.

Catapults were also not a feature on completed WW2 carriers.

CAT shots were common from ‘44 on, mate. But I get your point. 

[LWA]
Members
1,352 posts
15,592 battles

Yep, the static aircraft carriers launching aircraft bugs me too.....

[A-D-F]
Members
129 posts
23,377 battles

When USS Moynahan dropped depth charges on a mini sub in pearl harbor DEC 7 1941 The explosion in the shallow water lifted the stern of the Moynahan out of the water.

[A-D-F]
Members
129 posts
23,377 battles

The mini sub that was attacked by USS Moynahan came out much worse. the sub was sunk immediately. if you look at photos taken of the mini sub after it was recovered you can see the dimpling of the hull caused by the horrendus over pressure of the blast.

Sign in to follow this