Tomas_Hoch

How to learn strategics and tactics?

15 comments in this topic

[TMP]
Members
6 posts
1,188 battles

First i would like to say Hi to all the forum, this is  my first post.

Well, i would to tell all of you that i know the game mechanics like angling,overmatch,autobounce. And i am able to make good amounts of damage. But what i started to feel is that dont know anything about tactics,strategies,positioning and i would to ask to you if you could tell me how i can learn them to improve my games. Thanks for your time

Edited by Tomas_Hoch

Members
2,914 posts
5,646 battles

Well, you win more by making good decisions. And you make good decisions from good experience. Which you get from making bad decisions.

If you want to know, I think ranked is good for this, as long as you can learn from your mistakes. Ranked punishes misplay harshly, so there is a rapid feedback to bad tactics.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

[TMP]
Members
6 posts
1,188 battles
1 minute ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Well, you win more by making good decisions. And you make good decisions from good experience. Which you get from making bad decisions.

I agree with you but there some thinks in the game that are theory and cannot find it anywhere

[TOG]
Members
4,086 posts
22,857 battles
34 minutes ago, Tomas_Hoch said:

Well, i would to tell all of you that i know the game mechanics like angling,overmatch,autobounce. And i am able to make good amounts of damage. But what i started to feel is that dont know anything about tactics,strategies,positioning and i would to ask to you if you could tell me how i can learn them to improve my games. Thanks for your time

My recommendation:

Watch some of the well known CC's like Flamu and Notser for "How to" playstyle. Flamu has specific videos on "how to". Typically I look more at the mini map when these guys are live streaming to see where they position themselves on specific maps.

[TMP]
Members
6 posts
1,188 battles
1 hour ago, Bill_Halsey said:

My recommendation:

Watch some of the well known CC's like Flamu and Notser for "How to" playstyle. Flamu has specific videos on "how to". Typically I look more at the mini map when these guys are live streaming to see where they position themselves on specific maps.

Thanks!!

[KAPPA]
Members
3,037 posts
7,803 battles

To become better, reflect on your actions after every match.

Did you die? Think of why it was you died, and what you could have done differently to have not died like that.

Did you lose? Think of why you lost, and what you might have done to change it. You can't improve your team, so only look to how you could have changed it.

Did you lose on points? Eventually you will be able to start to see why this happened clearer and clearer, but at first you will likely struggle to figure out how it could have been avoided. Winning on points is a great collection of small successes or small failings, and all you can do is minimize your failings and improve your own successes, contributing to the red team's failings.

Self reflection is what one needs to truly improve. Even if you learn how a master plays, they often won't mean much as you lack something between you and them. For instance, last night I watched a player playing 2 accounts at the same time on a stream and he did well. I have been here years and that is beyond me, that level of skill. But I'll never stop beating myself up over my failings and never stop trying to improve. To actually make use proper use of a master's lesson, one must become a master. Until then, you can simply attempt it and fail a thousand times until you stop failing.

The biggest hurdle is knowledge. In WoWS, knowledge is power, and it does one well to (very slowly(and don't try to do it all at once)) remember certain stats of all ships. Torpedo ranges, shell sizes, bow plating thickness, the consumable loadout of ships and, most important of all, overmatch.

Overmatch is taking your Des Moines into battle and knowing what to fear. Bismarck's guns are too small to obliterate you up the nose, but North Carolina certainly can break your nose in with one punch. To truly understand overmatch, one must do research on it and understand how it works. Likewise, auto bounce can be a life saver due to this mechanic, and is another mechanic worth researching.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,037 posts
7,803 battles

Another important thing to remember is to always try to keep an eye on the map and understand the information. Hold ctrl and click the gear by the minimap and enable icon ghosts or whatever it was called. Those things can save your life. Be sure to also adjust your minimap size as high as you are comfortable with + and -.

A DD is undetected, what do you do? Where is it?! If you have the ghost whatever setting on, you will know where it was last seen. You will be able to guess where it might be based on that.

• Cool 1

Members
2,914 posts
5,646 battles

Some things to thiink about:

1. Where's the enemy team? Which enemy ships haven't been detected? Is it possible that an enemy ship that was on one flank is now flexing to the other side?

2. What ships aren't detected, and what are those ships good at? Is pretty much everyone engaged, but there's a red destroyer who seems absent? Is he sneaking around in the back to torpedo your heavies or just keep everyone spotted for his teammates? 

3. What's your surface and air detection radius compared to your opponents? If you know you're the stealthiest destroyer in the game, you can sneak around with a certain level of impunity that you can't do otherwise.

4. Which ships on the red team have radar and hydroacoustic search, and what's their range and duration? Remember that it's not just cruisers that can have them, German destroyers have very long-range hydroacoustic search, high-tier Pan-Asian and Pan-European destroyers have radar, as do USS Black and USS Missouri. Indianapolis may be at Tier VII, but she has anomalous 10 km radar range, while the other radar ships at Tier VII, Belfast and Atlanta, have 8.5 km radar range.

5. When you run into something frustrating (CV permaspotting, CV rocket planes, HE smoke spammers, etc.), do you ragequit, or do you figure out how you might duplicate it yourself or avoid it in the future? 

6. Play all ship types at least a bit. Even if you don't like carriers, playing them teaches you more about how to counter them in other ship classes than anything else does. Whatever frustrates you about other ship classes when playing a particular class - do those things yourself when you are in that other ship type and facing the one you were playing before.

7. Understand what the big changes are at each Tier level. Going from Tier II to Tier III means you can start to see aircraft carriers in Tier IV matches. Going to Tier V means you'll see Tier VI carriers, who now have  droppable fighter CAPs. Facing Tier VII ships means you will start to see radar. Facing Tier VIII ships means your Tier VIII opponents will have upgrade slot 5, which means most will have the extremely powerful Concealment Module 1 and a 10% surface detection reduction that you don't get in your Tier VI or VII boat. Tier IX and X ships will have upgrade slot 6 and access to the Main Battery Modification 3, Torpedo Tubes Modification 3, and Gunfire Control System Modification 3. 

8. Every time you die, ask yourself, how did I die, and was there something I could have done to either live longer or make my death more worthwhile? Did I overextend? Sail in a straight line and eat unexpected torpedoes? Try to bow-tank a ship that overmatched my armor? Should I have waited just a few seconds longer to launch my torpedoes in that point-blank exchange with a top player who surprised me with his torpedo beats? Were my guns pointed the wrong way?

[KOTSB]
Members
628 posts
9,453 battles
On 5/31/2020 at 12:15 AM, Tomas_Hoch said:

dont know anything about tactics,strategies,positioning

There are some people on here that can actually review your replays and give feedback. IMO the 2 biggest things to learn are; the strengths and weaknesses of all the ships" starting with your own ships and this just takes time," and learning the maps and where its best to position whatever ship you happen to be playing. Basically, you want to be putting yourself into situations where you can play to the strengths of your ship while exploiting the weakness of the enemies ships. Even though 2 ships may seem or look similar "Massachusetts and Alabama for instance," they will usually have either slightly, or in the case of my example, drastically different playstyles. There are also a lot of useful videos on you tube that cover everything from ship reviews and tactics, to game mechanics, and even updates that I always recommend for newer players to watch. The forum can be helpful as well, but you will often get a lot of mixed opinions when asking for advice on the forums. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if someone told me I was totally wrong in this post. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Hope it helped. 

[TMP]
Members
6 posts
1,188 battles
15 hours ago, admiralsexybeast said:

There are some people on here that can actually review your replays and give feedback. IMO the 2 biggest things to learn are; the strengths and weaknesses of all the ships" starting with your own ships and this just takes time," and learning the maps and where its best to position whatever ship you happen to be playing. Basically, you want to be putting yourself into situations where you can play to the strengths of your ship while exploiting the weakness of the enemies ships. Even though 2 ships may seem or look similar "Massachusetts and Alabama for instance," they will usually have either slightly, or in the case of my example, drastically different playstyles. There are also a lot of useful videos on you tube that cover everything from ship reviews and tactics, to game mechanics, and even updates that I always recommend for newer players to watch. The forum can be helpful as well, but you will often get a lot of mixed opinions when asking for advice on the forums. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if someone told me I was totally wrong in this post. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Hope it helped. 

Thanks for the info

[SALVO]
Members
3,477 posts
3,322 battles

Start your pre-battle analysis with:

Fleet composition: Relative advantages and disadvantages of both rosters, identify the key players on both teams (top tier ships, DDs, Radar, fast ships, etc), identify your "hard counters" (for ex. If DD: ships with radar, gunships that outspot you, etc. in other classes, ships that can overmatch you or are particularly dangerous to your setup).

Map and game mode: Every map and mode has its own flux, sadly this is one of the most difficult things to learn because it requires experience, maybe you could get some experience by watching streamers or youtubers, if you are patient and dedicated enough you can open a training room and explore the maps, watch LOS and suitable positions for your ship. This knowledge is critical for your first choice: where and how to deploy.

Team deployment: your pre-setting for deployment has to be validated with your team deployment once the battle starts, then you have to choose if you stick to your plan or adapt into your team deployment. This is also tricky and requires some experience, by how the team deploys you can have an idea on how capable or not the team is and adapt your aggressiveness accordingly. A very bad deployment often requires to: be overly aggressive and get a very significant advantage before your team melts or be cautious turn on "farm" mode and get as much damage as you can, in the knowledge that the match is probably a lost cause. Always have in mind your ship's survivability before committing into a risky position.

There's much more but I'm out of time, see u around. 

Edited by ArIskandir

[FML]
Members
3,752 posts
14,931 battles
On 5/31/2020 at 2:15 PM, Tomas_Hoch said:

Hi.  Good question. It can be pretty hard to describe what comes with experience. So I'll add my voice to the other responses here and hope that is helpful for you. 

Firstly, I think its really important to understand what your ship's role is, and how to deal with enemy ships.  See my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide for some suggestions here.  In short, you should be trying to do your ship's job to the best of its ability in order to make the biggest contribution to your team and thereby win battles.  You should understand the relative strengths and weaknesses of your ship and the ship(s) you are facing, and make decisions about how to minimise your vulnerability and maximise their vulnerability; to prevent them from doing their ship's job well.  

The second thing that is important to understand is positioning.  I have gone into some detail below that might be a good introduction - grateful for suggestions on how to improve it.  

Ultimately, being able to read the maps and anticipate what the enemy is going to do is very challenging for new players - it will simply come with experience.  

Still, there are a few key points that you can apply early on that can hurry up this learning process: 

• Recognise whether you are on the 'strong flank' or the 'weak flank'.  In almost all WoWS battles, your team will split up unevenly - about 1/3 will go one way (lets say towards Capture Point A) and 2/3 will go the other way (lets say to Capture Point C).  Within the first minute of the battle, see if you can work out if you are on the strong of the weak side of your team.  
  • Similarly, recognise whether the enemy in front of you is either strong or weak.  Just as your team broke up unevenly, so did the enemy team. 
    • Also, in addition to absolute numbers, pay attention to their composition including type and tier - for example, are all their high tier battleships on one side, but with no destroyer or cruiser support? This could be a delicious hunting ground if you are a destroyer, and your grave if you are a bottom-tier battleship. 
    • This is where 'spotting' the enemy team to see where they are early on is very important - this is typically the job of destroyers and aircraft carriers.  But a destroyer who gets good spotting in early is at extreme risk of being killed by the enemy team.  Keeping your destroyers alive to late battle is far, far stronger and more important than rushing in at the start - so you need to be close enough to give them supporting fire but not expose yourself to too much return fire.  Its a delicate balancing act.  
  • IF you are on the strong flank and you are facing the enemy's weak flank, and you have an interest in winning, then you have an obligation to push your flank to defeat the enemy on your side of the map - before the enemy can wipe out your teammates on the far side of the map.  Once you have defeated the enemy locally, mid-battle move towards the centre of the map to support your team on the far side of the map - try to shoot at the enemy from the side and rear.  Dont just waste time chasing down the one enemy ship trying to run from your entire team, or to find/hunt the carrier - kill the main enemy fleet first!
    • If you are going to do something aggressive, like push a flank, I've always found announcing what you are going to do in team chat (green - not the white global chat!) about 30 seconds to a minute in advance can help garner some support.  Not always, though, and relying on your team to perform critical tasks as always a hiding to nothing (see LittleWhiteMouse's guide on how to control your winrate). 
  • IF you are on the weak flank and you are facing the enemy's strong flank, then DO NOT PUSH the enemy - they will focus fire you and melt you down quickly.  Instead, you should try to turn away and 'kite' them (see some later posts in my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide for a longer description on kiting the enemy).  
    • Your primary job is to keep the main enemy force occupied and to slow them down so that you buy time for your strong flank to defeat the enemy on the far side of the map, then come and help you out late battle.  This can be hard to do and takes a lot of practice.  Also, I've found letting your team - politely - know in chat that the enemy is strong on your side of the map and they should immediately push harder on the far flank can help.  
  • IF you and the enemy are evenly matched - whether strong/strong or weak/weak, the outcome of the battle is usually determined through personal skill of the players involved. 
  • Regardless of the situation you are in, there are important things you can do to help your side win: 
    • Shoot weakened ships until they are killed - an enemy on 1% health still shoots back with 100% firepower, can spot you and your team for their teammates to shoot you, and each enemy ship alive is worth points that could result in their victory even as the fighting rages on. 
    • Focus fire - if your teammates are shooting an enemy ship, then you should shoot at it too even if it doesnt present the best target for you.  This is to knock out as many enemy ships as fast as possible, which preserves your own team's HP for later (when it is more important) and can have a psychological impact on the enemy team, who may turn defensive instead of pushing you.  
    • Always shoot at a spotted enemy destroyer - these stealthy ships can run the entire battle undetected but have few hitpoints; shoot at them so they are more concerned about their own survival rather than lining up you or your teammate as their next victim.  
    • Never be alone - enemy carriers and destroyers (in particular) see a lonely enemy ship as simply food.  Even the mightiest battleship alone will still die surprisingly quickly.  This is a team game, so sticking together and working as part of a team is most likely to result in success. 
    • Controlled aggression is the key to winning this game - getting the balance right between taking risks, and when to hold your fire to: get out of the hot spotlight and heal up; remain undetected and slip behind enemy lines; or wait until the enemy is committed to a turn before shooting at an exposed broadside to get maximum damage. Camping at the back loses battles.  Rushing into the middle of the map at the start of battles with no exit plan (patricularly as a cruiser) gets you killed and loses battles just the same.
      • On that note, always having an exit plan ready to go before you start shooting at a new enemy is a really helpful way to rapidly build map awareness - typically this involves deciding which island to turn behind to keep you safe from enemy fire, but could mean you need to start turning your guns around before you start firing.  Planning ahead saves lives!  

Edited by UltimateNewbie