Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Juynior

Horrible marketing

12 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
495 battles

First - I'm a WG fan, played World of Tanks since beta (still play it daily).  If WG does something good, I'm willing to pay.

Now I get this email that says "try submarines" in World of Warships.  Hey - I'm willing to try it.  Then I have to log in every day for a "chance" to get a rental for 3 tries.  wth?  Who is the idiot who made that decision?

If you want to invite people back to try something new, THEN LET THEM TRY IT!  I don't give a crap about getting premium time ... happy to pay for it.  But don't send me a note to try submarines when I can't research or play it.  How pathetic!

You need a change in management .... I'll go play something else.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 4

[DOG]
Members
812 posts
14,307 battles

There's another link where Hapa_Fodder stated that the token was a mechanization to rate limit the amount of people who would be playing subs at any one time.  The time window is long so they sweetened your wait with coal. You are guaranteed the sub tokens by the end of the Armory panel (so at most a 6 day? wait).  Sub mode continues for I think 3 weeks past that.

• Cool 2

[WOLFA]
Members
853 posts
7,976 battles

It's to keep the server from getting overloaded with Subs. If they didn't go about it this way every battle would be all Subs on either team :Smile_facepalm:

Beta Testers
42 posts
3,943 battles

There’s been a minor flame war about it recently. Bottom line: doesn’t trust players enough to decide for themselves how long to sit in que

Members
348 posts
5,767 battles

I understand the reasoning behind the gated approach to subs. I also agree with OP that it was a poorly thought out marketing move to send out emails to people to ask them to come play and then not let them play. Given the situation, you are doing more harm than good in building excitement for the new class.

Members
272 posts
24,816 battles

I must be in the minority - I have been really liking getting the coal and now tomorrow, I have to get the subs. :(  Give me the coal instead...  :)

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
8,273 posts
6,142 battles
2 hours ago, Juynior said:

First - I'm a WG fan, played World of Tanks since beta (still play it daily).  If WG does something good, I'm willing to pay.

Now I get this email that says "try submarines" in World of Warships.  Hey - I'm willing to try it.  Then I have to log in every day for a "chance" to get a rental for 3 tries.  wth?  Who is the idiot who made that decision?

If you want to invite people back to try something new, THEN LET THEM TRY IT!  I don't give a crap about getting premium time ... happy to pay for it.  But don't send me a note to try submarines when I can't research or play it.  How pathetic!

Chill bro, log back in a week and you'll have access to your subs.

[BANG]
Members
20 posts

It makes a lot sense based on what WG experiences were from the PTS and what they want to test.  When subs battles opened on the PTS on day 1 and everyone already had the subs, there were over 300 players with subs waiting for a match. It took on average 2-3 minutes to get into a match as a sub on day 1. Once you got that match, majority of the teams were bots because there were not enough people wanting to play anything else. than after day 1, most players left the PTS so teams continued to be full of bots. WG want to see how subs will interact with the rest of both teams being players. that is why there are mult-use challenges with good rewards out for playing anything else in sub mode. 

[C_NT]
Members
960 posts
2,477 battles
4 hours ago, Juynior said:

They had pretty good reasons for doing this. Coal is disgusting irl(climate change,cancer, something you don't want for christmas etc) but in WOWS it's an alternative currency you can use to buy ships. I feel a lot more people are upset at the tiny amount of coal(I read a post that said it was 10k coal that was clearly wrong).

If everyone got subs on day one everyone would play the subs. That's why they didn't do it, this WG dude did a very detailed explanation that checks out entirely. You are guaranteed to get it in a few days and you don't spend any money. Think everyone's first instinct is to be mad at things like this in the age of loot boxes but this is pretty fair.  

Also most people can play AGAINST submarines. The mode is open to all ships at T6. You raise a good point about this being inaccessible to new players who wanna try, but you're kinda falling through the cracks there(t6 premium is 25-30 dollars lots of people can give you recs about what is a good ship to buy if you wanna go that route). Or you can just wait a few days. 

Edited by Aristotle83

Members
4,479 posts
19,839 battles
4 hours ago, Njanear said:

I must be in the minority - I have been really liking getting the coal and now tomorrow, I have to get the subs. :(  Give me the coal instead...  :)

Same here. When get the things, can I exchange the subs for coal?

Members
4,389 posts
3,255 battles
8 hours ago, Juynior said:

I have to agree with you, got the same email. Come play subs, but you can't. Whether it was a smart move to limit subs in queue or not is irrelevant. The email said we could. And we can't. That's the complaint.

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this