9 comments in this topic

Members
47 posts
2,192 battles

Hi, so I just got back into WoWS since the whole quarantine thing happened, and I'm finishing lines that I've already started. Started playing the North Carolina and absolutely loved it. It didn't even feel like a grind, it was more of me just having fun with a great ship. The Monarch, however, is dreadful in comparison. I don't even know where to begin. It has garbage guns that are lower caliber. 15 inch guns with Bismarck-esque (or even worse) dispersion, VERY poor penetration compared to the NC, and even lower fire chance than the KGV. Not to mention the back gun arch is awful too. The Monarch also sucks in HP, being the lowest of all tier 8 BBs. Not to mention that everything pens you and you have a massive superstructure to farm HE damage off of. Apparently one of the strengths of the Monarch is the armor, but that's not working either. I'm not doing bad in the ship, but I absolutely hate playing it. I don't even understand what kind of role this ship is supposed to play. I knew the Monarch was a let down after the KGV, but I was not expecting this pile of heaping 💩

Please, correct me if you can. I hope that I'm wrong and just not playing the ship correctly. However, I do not think that's the case. I understand that it has great concealment, but I can rarely use it because I'm usually plane spotted. What role did this ship even fulfill? How are you SUPPOSED to play it? Or, is the better alternative just to FXP to the Lion because I'm certainly tempted to follow that path. 

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,632 posts
16,405 battles

Fwiw I liked Monarch more than Lion.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,705 posts
23,831 battles

Angle.

Shoot HE.

If you still hate her....

Get lion.

I can tell you that you won't look back....

My first salvo in Lion on a Yammy was 4 fires....

Hits like a truck.

[SYN]
Members
9,038 posts
16,350 battles

Lion has a lot of the problems of Monarch. The turret angles remain terrible, you're still soft and squishy, she's no more accurate but has a longer reload, the guns are better, but see tougher opponents. 

If you're skipping Monarch if skip Lion too, it's the same thing only a bit worse in places in exchange for super repair.

[C_NT]
Members
960 posts
2,477 battles
2 hours ago, Providences said:

Hi, so I just got back into WoWS since the whole quarantine thing happened, and I'm finishing lines that I've already started. Started playing the North Carolina and absolutely loved it. It didn't even feel like a grind, it was more of me just having fun with a great ship. The Monarch, however, is dreadful in comparison. I don't even know where to begin. It has garbage guns that are lower caliber. 15 inch guns with Bismarck-esque (or even worse) dispersion, VERY poor penetration compared to the NC, and even lower fire chance than the KGV. Not to mention the back gun arch is awful too. The Monarch also sucks in HP, being the lowest of all tier 8 BBs. Not to mention that everything pens you and you have a massive superstructure to farm HE damage off of. Apparently one of the strengths of the Monarch is the armor, but that's not working either. I'm not doing bad in the ship, but I absolutely hate playing it. I don't even understand what kind of role this ship is supposed to play. I knew the Monarch was a let down after the KGV, but I was not expecting this pile of heaping 💩

Please, correct me if you can. I hope that I'm wrong and just not playing the ship correctly. However, I do not think that's the case. I understand that it has great concealment, but I can rarely use it because I'm usually plane spotted. What role did this ship even fulfill? How are you SUPPOSED to play it? Or, is the better alternative just to FXP to the Lion because I'm certainly tempted to follow that path. 

Go for it. Will get you ready for Conqueror both are Lion class BB's in terms of aesthetic though Conqueror's got the bigger guns(had awesome concealment). It will  get you acquainted with the super duper heal. 

I skipped the Monarch cause it's a fantasy ship. Vanguard should have been the tech tree t8(though Vanguard is also a let down IMO). Lion has incredible HE, I am the rare UK BB player who prefers using their AP but Lion will bring back the ability to HE spam like the KGV class. 

Edited by Aristotle83

[PVE]
Members
8,507 posts
24,689 battles
4 hours ago, Providences said:

Monarch & the QE are the black sheep of the family...they are not HE spammers they are AP BBs.

If you know how to run AP BBs it's a little less awful but not nearly as awful as trying to HE spam w/it... don't do that.

4 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Shoot HE.

No...not in the Monarch...the low fire chance is a dead giveaway that this ship is intended to break the cycle (well...again...as QE broke it earlier) of being an easy climb to T10 by just HE spamming everything.

Unfortunately it still has the RN BB squishiness but they wanted to make the T9 & T10 have the RN BB "flavor" so they nerfed the T8 in this line (just like the T8 in the RN CL line in comparison to the T7 & T9) whereas most other nations have their toughest grind at T9 (actually that statement applies more to earlier ships in the game...haven't played a lot since a lot of new lines have come out so don't know if that is as standard as it used to be w/T9 being the "worst/hardest" grind... usually).

So angle & try using the AP...if you're not good at hitting citadel's then get the Lion.

Members
87 posts
3,720 battles

Monarch is tier for tier a better ship than Lion. If you hate Monarch’s back angle you are going to experience hell with Lion’s as it is worse by quite abit. You are also going to experience worse dispersion due to the engagement ranges being pushed out and that you are using all guns less. Lion is a bigger ship with a taller citadel, it’s even easier to farm damage on while still managing to have poor health.

have you tried shooting cruisers with that AP? The smaller caliber, lower penetration and shorter fuse really helps with preventing overpens,  even on destroyers despite full pens on those being absolutely useless. I can say it AP citadels Smolensk fairly easily. And can take chunks out of broadside battleships even if you aren’t close enough to get citadels. You also see more tiers where you can overmatch to bows of battleships compared to Lion. While the HE isn’t the best the brits have to offer it is still well above average and can reliably bite just about anything, it does serve as a good backup.

Monarch has insane concealment, beating out Lion, now I understand concealment is a wonky thing to play around with and requires you to hold your fire, but there is a reason everyone and their mother recommends concealment on just about everything, it is a ridiculously powerful tool. I’m not an expert to go into much detail on this, when things are in your favor you can disappear at will and with islands pop up right next to someone where your AP will cannot fail. Not really buying the whole CVs negate it thing, when dark your concealment is definitely good enough that you have to be the CV’s target to be consistently be lit up.