You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JTM78

Newbro Questions

10 comments in this topic

Members
37 posts
3,553 battles

I have some newbro questions

1. If I buy premium time for World of Warships, will I get premium time for World of tanks from the same purchase?
2. If I want to buy a premium ship or premium ships to grind credits, which ones would you recommend? I am thinking Tirpitz or Massachusetts.
3. What is long range secondary build and how do you do it?
4. How do you avoid the torpedo walls from destroyers?
5. Are the tier IX and X premiums worth the money to help grind credits?
6. Is there a World of Warship site like tankgg?

If you have any other advice for a newbro let me know. Thanks for your time and help.

Members
75 posts
6,987 battles
  1. Nope
  2. t8 premiums usually have the same credit earning potentials, so it’s up to you which ship you like.
  3. take advanced fire training, the upgrade that increase secondary battery efficacy, and mount secondary signals
  4. Hydro, don’t sail in straight line
  5. yes t9 premium grind credits well, don’t spend money on them if you are new though.

[O7]
Members
1,037 posts
6,178 battles
22 minutes ago, JTM78 said:

1. If I buy premium time for World of Warships, will I get premium time for World of tanks from the same purchase?
2. If I want to buy a premium ship or premium ships to grind credits, which ones would you recommend? I am thinking Tirpitz or Massachusetts.

If you have any other advice for a newbro let me know. Thanks for your time and help.

Top competitive player here

1: You can. There are two kinds of premium time, one for warships specifically, and one that is universal for all "world of" titles. The latter one will mean you will only get a 50% bonus instead of 60%

2: This depends fully on your play style. The one that makes the most credits is the one you do the best in. If you are new, you will not survive high tiers, I would start in a lower tier and cheaper premium ship first.

3: Do not build for secondaries. Unless you want to be an exp piñata and target practice for the enemy team, which I assume you don't.

4: Change directions and speed often. Use your WASD keys and make your movements unpredictable.

5: T9 Premiums make the most credits, for more information, see picture below.

6: Yes, its here: https://na.wows-numbers.com/

d4f6rz8z7jo31.png

• Cool 2

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
540 posts
25,146 battles

OP, don't try to buy your way in order to move up in tiers.  Go up the tech tree first and then purchase your premium ships.  Your win rate is great, but you PR is bad, which suggests you have been carried on some really good teams.  There is so much to learn in the mid tiers that is needed to be successful (and have fun) at the higher tiers.  I know from experience getting blapped at the 5 minute mark is not fun.  GLHF!!!!

[FML]
Members
4,185 posts
16,175 battles
54 minutes ago, JTM78 said:

Hi, welcome to WoWS :)

In response to your questions: 

1) No, WOWS Premium time is only for WOWS.  I think you can purchase Wargaming premium time, which works across WOWS, WoT and WoWP, but you cant do this in-game with doubloons/gold iirc.  And even if you could, the WOWS premium time provides a higher bonus for WOWS, whilst providing no bonus to WoT.  

2 & 5) Have a look at my Premium Ship Guide here - all your questions about premium ships will be answered.  In short, though, Tirpitz and Massachusettes are strong premium ships, but you dont yet have enough experience with the game to do well in them yet, and there are other ships that might offer better value - but its ultimately your choice.  

3) Certain ships have great secondary guns (like Massachusettes); however, it takes quite a lot of credits and a high-skill point captain to do a puer secondary build.  Have a look at LittleWhiteMouse's guides on the relevant ships with strong secondaries for some pointers.  But you should know that the current game 'meta' strongly favours survivability builds over secondary builds - staying alive longer means you have more time to deal damage.  

4) Generally, its planning ahead - waiting until you see the torps when in a battleship means its often too late to avoid them all/most of them.  Watching the minimap like a hawk for any spotted destroyers helps you anticipate where they may attack from, eg they may ambush you around islands or smoke cover.  Always change your speed and direction to make lining up an attack on you harder.  Importantly, play as a Destroyer a bit to see what makes it easier and harder for you to torp the enemy, so when you're in a battleship you can see the battle from their perspective.  See my Ship Role quick reference guide for some more tips.  

6) Not sure about tankgg, but a commonly used stats site is WOWS Numbers.  

I hope that helps. 

Good luck!

• Cool 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
323 posts
2,956 battles
1 hour ago, JTM78 said:

1) No, get this:
https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/premium/9334/

2) Best Credit earners are 9s. Alaska and Georgia are solid.

3) It's a build on high tier ships that requires a 14 point captain and a few specific upgrades

4) That question raises more questions than answers

5) 9s yes, 10s no

6) No idea

[PVE]
Members
11,076 posts
19,204 battles
2 hours ago, JTM78 said:

Don't sell your ships. Take your time. Do the dailies to get port slots. Grinding credits is best done in Operations, it's the best place to use camos and signals, with a team is preferable. Realize how much you are willing to spend. The best place to spend cash is on Santa Creates. If you put in the time you can get lots of freebies. Do the Campaigns for ships and captains. Watch and ask question of MrGibbins on Twitch. Play all ship types so you understand how to defend against them. Don't offer advice in battle chat, it's better to learn and use the quick commands. If people want to listen then, they do and others don't take offense that you are trying to tell them what to do. People will tell you not to play high tier ships right away, it really doesn't matter, if you are good, you are good, if you are not, you are not, all kinds play at all levels and you can't get good at tier 10 unless you play it. Tiers 9 and 10 won't generally make you credits. The list goes on...

Let me know what else you want to know.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[LANCE]
Members
897 posts
6,834 battles

Welcome to WoWs and to the forums mate!

Everyone above has given some great advice.

For a premium ship, if my 1st I’d buy a tier 6 ship of a line that you really enjoy e.g. if you like Russian cruisers, buy Molotov. It’ll help train that captain which you can move in and out of the premium ship without retraining him. At tier 6 you can play all but one of the operations which are a good way to earn credits and free xp which you can use to upgrade stock ships. You’ll also earn captain xp allowing you to get specific skills for your Captain. I’d definitely suggest getting a premium for the country/ship type you enjoy as you’ll get more from this than just buying a ship you like the look of.

Good luck mate! 

[FML]
Members
4,185 posts
16,175 battles
4 hours ago, JTM78 said:

Sorry, didnt notice the general question at the end.  In response, I've copied some information and links below that might be helpful for you. 

For new players, I recommend the following nations and tech tree branches as easy to learn and to play: 

• Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Light Cruiser line (ending in Minotaur) - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
    • French: Low tier these ships arent anything special; however, by mid tier they become multi-barrelled shotguns and by T8+ they become (less armoured) speed demons - a truly varied line that might help you determine what kind of ship you like playing. I found them fun.  
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at.  However, as a general principle Royal Navy carriers are easier to play but less impactful on the battle - seek out enemy ships that have just used DCP in order to set lots of fires that stick.  Japanese carriers do far more direct damage with their AP bombs and heavier torpedo plane squadrons, but they are harder to play and you need to understand AP bomb pen mechanics and search for citadels. USN carriers are somewhere in between - see iChase's video guide to get a grasp of the basics.  

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

• How to set up your game client to get the information you need to win: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSCb96CLCs4
  • (For brand New Players - a full comprehensive guide) iChase's How to get good at World of Warships - I wish this was around when I started!
  • (For New Players) - Wargaming's 'How It Works' series that explains the game's mechanics - important to learn these as it differs to real life.
  • (For New Players looking to become Intermediate) my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide to understand how to get the best out of your ship every battle and how to deal with enemy ships of the same type. 
  • (For Intermediate players) LittleWhiteMouse's guide to How to take control of your win rate:  https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/75077-how-to-control-your-win-rate/
  • For players at any level who are interested in personalised feedback on a particular battle, get in touch with Lord_Zath and his replay centre - its an amazing service that you should take advantage of.  
  • You are under absolutely no obligation to spend money on this game - it is entirely free to play including at high tiers. 
    • Understanding the economics of WoWS and tips for playing as free-to-play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDgwH2w-k7U
    • Still, if you are interested in buying a premium ship, a discussion on what premium ships are good value for newer players can be found on my New Player Guide Premium Ships for New Players.
      • The second post in this thread has some good advice on how to rapidly become a better player through teamwork and positioning - see Section 3 - its worth a read!
  • Cool 1

Members
859 posts
4,679 battles

Campaigns can get you a lot of good things. Something a lot of new players don't realise is that you can repeat campaign missions, even though you only get the reward once, you can get the star every time. The US & Japanese campaigns when completed give you a special Captain. There are also quite a few super containers and free premium time in them.

Every set of missions has at least one mission that isn't hard to do, it just might take time. You can get through a campaign set by repeating that mission over and over to get the star.

Pick More Resource containers every time, hoard the coal, FXP and any dubs or steel you get and save it until you can pick-up a Tier 9 Premium ship from the Armour for coal. Silver credits are a massive hurdle at the higher tiers for F2P players, which means a Tier 9 premium is practically mandatory to reduce the grinding required to pay for ships. Dubs you save until you can afford a mid-tier Premium like a Scharnhorst or a free camo for a Tier 9 or 10 ship although you probably won't get that many anyway, there's no point spending them until you can get something worthwhile.

FXP you either save to grind through crap Tier 9 ships, or save until you can afford a Premium ship with it like an Alaska.

Getting free premium time is possible with certain campaigns and collections. Depending on how you get it, it is possible to "hold" rewards of Premium time until you're sure you want to use them. For example, I have the final reward in the Science Of Victory campaign waiting until I feel like getting 7 Days Premium. I have the 2nd set in the Bad Advice collection with enough Duplicates that I can get a free 24 hours whenever I want.

My personal recommendations for lines new players should look into are:

• Russian Battleships - This line is very powerful from bottom to top, and is a good set of ships for new players because their strengths don't require too much experience. Point nose at enemy, try to stay within 16km to 10km and shoot at the enemy. Learn not to overcommit and stick with your team.
  • Japanese & British Battleships - Both of these are generally long range snipers, although do it with a different flavour (British is HE spam, Japan is AP accuracy).
  • American Destroyers - They are good all rounders and have smoke which is the new player salvation when you're still learning about concealment etc. DD's in WOWS have the table stacked against them, but you should at least try one DD class to get a feel for how they operate, you might end up being really good at them and Americans are arguably the best for new players to use when learning.
  • Soviet, French & Japanese Cruisers - All share similar traits of being long range HE spammers. They can be boring to play though, you try to stay at extreme range as long as possible setting ships on fire, and annoy Battleships into wasting salvos by doing hard moves when they fire at you so they miss.
  • American Cruisers - There is a line split at Tier 6, both the CL & CA lines are viable in Randoms except that the Tier 9 ship in both lines is terrible in stock configuration. Generally considered support ships/island campers, but can get the job done against any ship type of the game when played right (except CV plane squadrons, but nothing but a handful of Euro DD's can do that currently).

I would avoid starting with:

• American Battleships - The best Coal ship a newer player can get to grind Silver is the Tier 9 Georgia. It is simply better than any of the other US Battleships, and you get a lot more credits when playing it. It makes grinding the US BB line feel obsolete & a waste of time. The Tier 9 & 10 ships in the line have been power crept too much to justify grinding through while also getting the Georgia for making silver.
  • French Battleships - Some similar issues to the US line, they're also a bit wacky with their gimmicks, the Speed Boost in particularly can cause you to over-push and get deleted.
  • Any of the other DD lines - You really need to be good to survive in the current meta with DD's and there are gimmicks that you might not fully be able to use while a newbie.
  • German Anything - Their ships aren't anything special. The best ship in their entire tech tree is the Bismarck, but you need to be a good BB player, with a high ranked captain to use it effectively.
  • CV's - You should get an idea of the fundamentals of the core game before trying the World Of Warplanes special gametype. A good CV player is overpowered, but a bad CV player will massively hurt the team. You should practice a lot in Co-Op with CV's before you should start playing in Randoms.
  • British Cruisers - Have limitations that a new player will have trouble working with.
Edited by macktkau2
  • Cool 1