Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ZX5M

When you hit Rank 1 this Season Please Reply Here

30 comments in this topic

[4TAC]
Members
19 posts
7,886 battles

I'd like to see the level up the players required to hit Rank 1 this season.  When you get multiple bad teams in a row,  what kind of player does it take to still turn the odds in your favor?  Rank 6 back to Rank 9 over several days is infuriating when you have lopsided teams and your own team gets obliterated.  WG continues to not take stats into account on matchmaking.....You might say, well its your fault too. True, but I'm also not a Super Unicum which is probably what it would take on some of these teams...

What happened to the mid range Irrevocable rank??  Does WG only want the very best players to be able to get the best ships?  That's my interpretation of this new ranked season.  As a 54% random battle player, I don't know if it's going to happen. I could maybe do it with the Haida since my best ship class is DD's, but I'm not going to buy a Haida for the "what if" chance... The absurd amount of steel required for those ships  is taking years to earn. Not everyone wants to join a hard core clan where you gotta have discord and put up with political [edited] within the clan. Nothing against clans, but that was the one experience I had when I joined a more serious clan than the one I'm in now which is good for the discounts.... The game is really starting to lose it's appeal to me.  And again.... the unicum players probably won't understand where I'm coming from bc you have enough success. Not everyone can be as good as you all. 

• Cool 2

Members
12,613 posts
14,320 battles
5 minutes ago, ZX5M said:

I'd like to see the level up the players required to hit Rank 1 this season.  When you get multiple bad teams in a row,  what kind of player does it take to still turn the odds in your favor?  Rank 6 back to Rank 9 over several days is infuriating when you have lopsided teams and your own team gets obliterated.  WG continues to not take stats into account on matchmaking.....You might say, well its your fault too. True, but I'm also not a Super Unicum which is probably what it would take on some of these teams...

What happened to the mid range Irrevocable rank??  Does WG only want the very best players to be able to get the best ships?  That's my interpretation of this new ranked season.  As a 54% random battle player, I don't know if it's going to happen. I could maybe do it with the Haida since my best ship class is DD's, but I'm not going to buy a Haida for the "what if" chance... The absurd amount of steel required for those ships  is taking years to earn. Not everyone wants to join a hard core clan where you gotta have discord and put up with political [edited] within the clan. Nothing against clans, but that was the one experience I had when I joined a more serious clan than the one I'm in now which is good for the discounts.... The game is really starting to lose it's appeal to me.  And again.... the unicum players probably won't understand where I'm coming from bc you have enough success. Not everyone can be as good as you all. 

You can get Steel ships by playing in Clan Battles or by doing events such as Christmas/ New Years event. I have never hit Rank 1 and yet I had the Steel to get the Flint, and now am getting close to being able to afford Bourgogne depending on if I can rack up 19 more Clan BTtke wins. So hitting Rank 1 is certainly not required to get Steel ships.

And I play Ranked with the full knowledge that I will not waste the time and sanity to reach Rank 1 after an intense season where I almost Ranked out by hitting Rank 3, then the Match Making turned against me and never recovered the progress. So instead I play Ranked to get to at least Rank 10 for a good number of easy rewards. Then I see if I possibly can climb maybe to Tank 7 or so while farming Dreadnought, Hogh Caliber, Fireproof, Confederate, and even Krajen Aunkeashed rewards out of Ranked to get the signal flags stocked up. Which Ranked seems like an easier place to get those achievements earned on pretty much daily basis. So all a matter of knowing what to do and perspective as you can still get some nice rewards from playing.

[GGWP]
Members
7,578 posts
17,910 battles
34 minutes ago, ZX5M said:

Streaks happen. The goal is not about trying to force a play for your team, but punish an enemy ship when they try to force a play for their team. 

I would suggest watching streams of high level players playing ranked. Ask questions, get them to explain their reasoning. I'm not sure who is still playing and hasn't ranked out at this point for streamers. I'll probably be streaming tonight, I try to be analytical about my play in ranked when I stream. 

Also the highest irrevocable rank for regular ranked was 10. Ranked sprint get irrevocable ranks at higher ranks than regular ranked does. 

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
1,696 posts
17,513 battles

After trying last season to rank out, I am absolutely convinced that the game allows you to reach a certain rank before sweeping you back. This happened to me 4 separate times. I would make steady progress to rank 6 and then, as if someone flipped a switch, I would get placed on teams of...well...co-op bots would have been more skilled, until I was back to rank 10.

here's proof:tinfoil.thumb.png.0c26349787e4f1f4b2a012059ce3025b.png

The bottom three ships on my team NEVER FIRED A SINGLE SHOT. I gave up after 344 matches of being shoved back to rank 10 from rank 6 repeatedly.

Another thing that I noticed that seemed very strange: I would face a player on the red team who would be a great player, top player on their team, and then next match that same player would be on my team and a complete potato. It's as if the player sat their 5 year old son at the keyboard and said, "Have at it, junior!" One CV player really stands out in my mind. I faced this CV player on the red team three matches in a row, this CV had skill and was again, top of the team or close to it in those three matches. I queue up and see the CV player on my team and thought to myself, "Yes, this is finally gonna be a win!" and would end the losing streak. I was wrong, very, very, wrong. The CV sent every single one of their planes over each ship on the enemy team and attacked the red CV for the entire match. Not one plane made it to the red CV. Now, explain to me how that was even possible? I can't make sense of why that would happen. It's as if the CV player got tired of winning and decided to throw the match. Either that, or something else was going on like maybe that player was a bot and forced me to lose.

Edited by Rabbitt81

Members
7,122 posts
22,661 battles

1) there are clans that can really help you push through to the next level. Reach out to @Ducky_shot

2) ranking out isn't easy and in many cases, especially as the season progresses, players are pushed forward, while lacking skill.... it's the design of ranked play.

3) Knowing how to get experience in ranked will help you save a star. Hurt dd's = big points.

4) Learn when to cut bait and run and farm meaningless damage.

5) play strong ships that hit hard and often.

Remember you are also playing against your teammates. In every game, 7 advance, one stays put, 6 fall back. You have no teammates or buddies, the next que, the guys you worked with will be shooting you.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
30,124 battles

It depends on what ships you are good in. Don't try and play ships you aren't good in. I ranked out in my fewest battles ever (73) this season and I fundamentally played the same as I do every ranked season. Even the best players will only win 70% of there games so don't get too down over losses. I've found picking and sticking with one or two ships is the best way to go. Also try and communicate with the other ships on your team and of course, focus the high priority ships first (Radars, dds, overextended ships) 

Edited by eagle_lance
  • Cool 1

[O2]
Members
503 posts
10,287 battles

I spent a full Saturday on Ranked during the Tier 7 season (current). I started at L10 and had expected to reach L6 or maybe even L5. 12 or so hours later I threw my mouse away in anger as I had sunk to the bottom of L12. Endless defeats occasionally interrupted by a victory. Ranked has just become Randoms for seven players. Not sure what was the intention from WG, but I will not be spending more time on Ranked. Ever. The rewards look so tempting, but they are un-reachable for me. At least with random I know what I get and are not so stressed out when on a  team struggling with controls etc.

Members
7,122 posts
22,661 battles
12 minutes ago, Toxygene said:

I spent a full Saturday on Ranked during the Tier 7 season (current). I started at L10 and had expected to reach L6 or maybe even L5. 12 or so hours later I threw my mouse away in anger as I had sunk to the bottom of L12. Endless defeats occasionally interrupted by a victory. Ranked has just become Randoms for seven players. Not sure what was the intention from WG, but I will not be spending more time on Ranked. Ever. The rewards look so tempting, but they are un-reachable for me. At least with random I know what I get and are not so stressed out when on a  team struggling with controls etc.

You have 18 days of ranked left. No matter where you end up, don't quit. 

the rewards are reachable, change your play. And yes it's frustrating. The last day of ranked I need two stars to rank out. I lost so many in a row I ended up at 5 and finally quit at rank 3 at midnight. Regardless of how you end up this is so much better than randoms. 

Members
907 posts

Probably stopping at my current rank. The benefits of grinding through from 7 to 1 are pretty small compared to the stress, and I'm not all that interested in potentially dropping to 12 because I can't break a bad streak.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,955 battles

Definitely been a rollercoaster. played so many games and finally found the ship that's fitting my style. Hit 5 now back to bottom of six.

Members
339 posts
6,613 battles

This has been my first try at Ranked.  I started at rank 18 and moved quickly to rank 9.  Rank 8 is where it changed.  I managed to get to Rank 7 then it went south fast, all the way back to rank 9!   I am back to Rank 8 and trying to grind to Rank5, I can dream.

[WOLF2]
Members
314 posts
18,474 battles

Try harder, try new things. Analyse what worked what didn't work, find ways to save your star when the game is lost :cap_popcorn:

In time you will rank out, it's a grind in the end :cap_old:

[AXANR]
Members
209 posts
3,411 battles

Been Stuck at Rank 12 all week .. lol I gave up and started playing Submarine games instead.

Members
859 posts
4,679 battles

I've seen way too many games thrown out the window because of potatoes, it's infuriating.

Last night I had a game where the last two ships were an enemy BB with half it's health left vs our half dead DD. Our DD was literally next to their last cap. Instead of stopping the enemy ticket count by capping & firing torps to delay the BB from coming back to the flag, he ran away from the cap and opened fire with his guns. He got instantly deleted and we lost.

I've been in teams where we have good map control holding 2 caps to 1 and once we get the 2nd cap our players turn stupid, running away to A1 to try and catch a DD they will never outspot, or they push a flank for no reason and get focus fired and blown up in 2 minutes, our radar or hydro ships waste their charges and the enemy regroups, pushes as a team and blows us off the map. Too many players have zero patience to hold a lead. They always turn around and chew you out for not suicide yolo'ing with them. I've even seen a few games where our team turned 3 cap to 0 lead into a loss because poor positioning & no focus firing got half the team sunk one by one and meant we couldn't hold the points long enough to win.

130 games so far and I've spent probably 70% of them bouncing between Rank 10 and 9.

Edited by macktkau2

[AXANR]
Members
209 posts
3,411 battles

Well after replying here I switched to ranked and played some battles, here is one exciting battle. I am now Rank 11..lol

shot-20_05.30_02_50.40-0941.thumb.jpg.700f48719e263decc92934637d2caf20.jpg

I am not good enough to sink all of the enemy team...,.. but I will keep trying....maybe like that I can rank up..eventually.

shot-20_05.30_02_51.00-0381.thumb.jpg.d2b96d2555ba692439a64d55b79d3928.jpg

Nevertheless I think we did good as a team on this one overall...so there is always the luck factor here...

[NES]
Members
246 posts
5,492 battles

117 ranked games and I've gone from 7 back to 12. One win in between all of that over the course of two days. I think it's rigged so you can't rank out tbh.

Edited by jondoom

[DCMA]
Beta Testers
1,674 posts
22,551 battles

Question: when you fellas begin a ranked session do you usually win the first game you play?

[NES]
Members
246 posts
5,492 battles

I am 100% certain that wargaming is creating imbalanced teams in matchmaking after losing. I was using my Colorado and I went B and ended up ALONE. I don't want to join a clan because I don't have the time to dedicate to that sort of thing, but my entire team other than this guy was clanless whilst the entire other team were in clans. I was the only one to sink a ship. 

sigh part 1.jpg

sigh part 2.jpg

[SBNA]
[SBNA]
Members
86 posts
4,115 battles

My goal was to reach Rank 5, and I did it 89 battles with a 61% WR. I think I'm gonna go for the Big Star now.

shot-20.06.06_21.24.00-0702.jpg

Members
859 posts
4,679 battles

I've played 160 ranked games so far this season. I got from the starting rank up to the last irrevocable pretty easily. Then I managed to scrape up to rank 8.

Then fell back to rank 12, then spent another 120 games bouncing between 12 and 9. Earlier this week though I smashed through to Rank 5, losing a handful of games, saving stars in half of them in. It was like magic. I spent most of the games as the Scharnhorst or Helena, then switched to Atlanta just as I began the rise up the ranks.  I got a bunch of good teams, and didn't have to carry too many games (although I did get one game where I finished it off in a 1v1 with another cruiser).

I've since lost the only two games I got to play in Rank 5 so I'm back down to Rank 6. In 2nd top tier game the enemy team was three sinops, two payfasts, a haida and a shiratsuyu. :cap_haloween:And all it took to lose was one of DD's deciding to run away from the middle of the map so we had no spotting. One of their Sinop's got 4 kills, including my Atlanta as he came out from behind an island about 6km away and wrecked me, after I'd just taken out one of the Belfasts and driven away the Haida.

I'm really not sure if I can rank out, I'm really not confident I'll get good matchmaking again.

[SALVO]
Members
3,503 posts
7,388 battles

There always have been potatoes. The glory days that people speak about are a myth.  I played back then and I play now. 

There are 2 issues here 

1.  everyone used to be able to kill everyone on a relatively equal balance.  Then the gameplay of the game got more asymmetric. Both in trying to differentiate lines and  CV rework a trend that is still being pushed with subs.    

2. Its awfully easy to say a particular play was potato . Where in reality this all happen on a gradient or curve.    Yes there are BBs or Cruisers that just charge down the middle full speed. Or Asashios  that torp and hit their own BBs from behind.  But then there is also Unicums who see something that say I do as potato. Where I would think it’s a good idea.   

All you can do is jump in your best ship and be a little “try hard”. 

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,955 battles

Well I was a CV main and I'm relatively new but in 511 games I made it with the Jervis!

1457305267_WorldofWarships6_6_202011_40_37PM.thumb.png.3ce41d8f1729af809bb8ae6ab9d48fd2.png

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this